main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Special edition - worst and best changes

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Jo Lucas, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    No need to change them back then. They are the lines I, and many others I would wager, remember and thus ought to have stayed. It will be an age thing and which version people saw first time round and have the fondest memory of that they will suggest is the original. That is mine.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  2. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    Back in the nineties on the usenet discussion group fans used to get really into discussing all the different variations, some of them quite minor, between versions of each of the three films in the different releases. Many of them had to due with lines that were included in only one or the other of the different sound versions (mono or stereo) and what was on laserdisc, what was on the VHS or Beta home version, what people remembered from different theatrical viewings, what was cut out or changed for the pan & scan versus the "letterbox" presentation of the original widescreen format, and so on and so forth. It's kind of fun to have that kind of discussion all over again.

Of course the Special Editions and the Blu-Ray tweaks have given us all even more versions to talk about. To me anyway, that's part of the fun.

3. Christus Regnet

Christus Regnet Jedi Master star 3

Mar 10, 2016
    In this case it's merely a matter of having to choose one or the other during the remastering process. And if they were cleaning and remastering the actual original, they didn't change anything but left it as it was, and to change it to the other version, would have to have cut it back in.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  4. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    A lot more people at this point are familiar with the original ones which have been restored. So I reckon there's no reason now to change them back to the ones they were changed to.

5. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Naturally

6. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I’ve come around on the Greedo shooting first scene.

My problem with it had little to do with Han’s development, and more to do with Greedo looking like a bad shot.

However, if you think about it, the time between Greedo’s shot and Han’s was too short for Han’s shot to be in self defense. He was evidently planning to shoot even if Greedo hadn’t. So Han could hypothetically be called a killer still who develops (though I’ve never blamed him for shooting first).

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  7. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Worst changes? Greedo shooting first and Jabba in ANH. The other ones I can easily live with.:D

8. chained_vulptex

chained_vulptex Jedi Padawan star 1

May 12, 2020
    sometimes i think about those lips coming at the audience in jedi rocks and just... really wonder what kind of universe we're trying to dvelve into.

9. The-Creator-Lair

The-Creator-Lair Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2020
    Best

Hayden Christensen Force Ghost - it feels gratifying after watching the Clone Wars as that was his prime as a Jedi.

Jabba the Hutt remake in ANH - The CGI isn’t amazing, but it is still good to see that Han isn’t loaning money to 2 people at once and explain one and not the other.

Boba Fett Voice lines changed - it’s justifiable considering how he should be an old clone of his father, Jango who was played by Temuera Morrison.

Worst

Ian McDiarmid Palpatine - There wasn’t really a need for it and it slightly messes up the continuity of his physicality (Take a look at how he looks in TESB and how he looks in ROTJ)

Greedo shot first - Greedo misses a shot at point blank range and is instead killed by a blaster shot coming from the other side. The explanation for it doesn’t even happen (Han was said to have “turned his head to the right” to avoid the shot).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TOASTEROVEN and Tho Yor like this.
  10. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    So with all the changes that went into the OT, here's one that I'm surprised was never done...why didn't they change the Hoth ion cannon scene to have it firing blue bolts, making it consistent with the ion cannons shown in the EU? Yeah, yeah...George Lucas doesn't like to follow the EU. But there would be a good reason to do this, as it would make it more clear to the viewer that the ion cannon is different from a regular turbolaser.

11. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Not really sure there's a massive worldwide clamoring to have the Ion cannon firing blue bolts.

12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012

13. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Having recently dug out my 2006 release of the OT and watched the original theatrical versions and the DVD versions. I think I’d say that the changes they made to the interior of Cloud City are fantastic, opening it up to show windows and the outside was a very good idea. But whilst Empire gets the respect it deserves in that not much was changed, I still think that the addition of the Jedi alternate angle of Vader exiting on the Death Star to show him landing on his Star Destroyer and the line change from “being my shuttle” to whatever he says but in a different voice both really grate on me.

14. DarthKegs

DarthKegs Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 21, 2019
    I thought for the most part the changes were done very well over all 3 movies. The whole 'who shot first' argument doesn't bother me but the execution of the scene is terrible. Surely they could now go back and re shoot it with a digital Han Solo, possibly filmed from a different angle as digital humans aren't 100% there yet and still give that uncanny valley feel when watching them. Rogue One was a perfect example when Princess leia was side on the effect was absolutely perfect but when she turned fully to camera it was clear it was a digital creation.

15. lovethedarkside

lovethedarkside Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 10, 2017
    The change from Han Shot First really bothers me. That one scene, back in 1977, told me that Han was not your stereotypical good guy. He had no problem doing what needed to be done. It was shocking and surprising, but yet we knew he was still a good guy.

The change destroyed the scene and did not help his character.

As a result, one of my favorite scenes in TFA was when they were being chased by the Rathtars. When Han threw one of the gang members into a Rathtar's mouth, I nearly cheered. It was like a big middle finger to the ANH change.

16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I'm guessing you loved a certain moment in Solo, then.

17. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    The best change is in ANH when Luke ignites his lightsaber for the first time. In the original, Luke ignites it right through Obi-Wan's head. They changed the angle of Luke's hand so he's not impaling Obi-Wan with his new found toy.

The worst is in ESB on Cloud City when Leia, Lando, and Chewie meet up with R2 in the corridors. As they show them running through the hall, it looks like they've been poorly photoshopped into the scene.

18. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    I agree. Han definitely should have shot first. Also the execution of the change with Greedo shooting first is done extremely awkward and unprofessionally. If they at least had made that scene appear more believable I may even have accepted it. While it may not be THE single worst change, it's right up there among the top 3. Jabba in ANH is possibly even worse. But at least that one didn't change one of the main character's personality, it's simply unnecessary and annoying.

Doompup and sith_rhino like this.
  19. lovethedarkside

lovethedarkside Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 10, 2017
    Yes I did!

Sarge likes this.
  20. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    WORST CHANGE: Jabba in sw77.

BEST CHANGE: New music during Ewok campfire (sorry, I don’t like Yub Nub).

sith_rhino likes this.
  21. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    The windows do a lot making Cloud City look different from The Death Star. Also makes it feel more like an actual city.

Is the biggest impact of the shuttle addition on Return of the Jedi? Instead of being an all new ship for first time viewers it's already established as Vader's shuttle.

AndyLGR, Darth__Lobot and Iron_lord like this.
  22. bb8isno1

bb8isno1 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 29, 2020
    Like: The updated visuals etc etc
    Dislike the change of "Bring my shuttle" though I like the shot of the shuttle flying, Han shot first scene

23. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    Especially considering how absolutely gorgeous the shots of the death star as viewed from Scarif are.... replicating that would be amazing

You can see it at 0:58 here:

AndyLGR and christophero30 like this.
  24. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I mean whatever anyone thinks they should be respectful of the fact that the original versions were the movie people knew for 20 years.

AndyLGR, Sarge and Darth__Lobot like this.
  25. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    Star Wars A New Hope Even Specialer Edition (Revised 2021 Edition)
    - Added scene of Bail Organa on Alderaan where he says MACKLUNKY and shakes his fist at the Death Star as it fires on the planet
    - Greedo has been replaced with Boba Fett, who has an entire musical duet with Han Solo as they fight in the Cantina, but it's made with cutouts of various poses throughout the movies rather than actual actors because we blew the budget on the Bail scene (which is rendered in The Clone Wars style)
    - Updated SC 3, 5, 16, 29, and 38 with help from Auralnauts to better tie the saga together

:p

Darth__Lobot and Sarge like this.