main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Speculation] Peter Cushing in Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by MotivateR5D4, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    Exactly. He won't be the main baddie, just included in a few scenes. How is that time consuming and expensive?

Look what you just did here. First you say that Bridges in Tron: Legacy and Stewart in Wolverine looked terrible, both movies are between 5-10 years old. Then you admit that Douglas in Ant-Man and Arnie in Terminator Genisys looked good, both movies are from 2015. You just gave yourself a perfect anti-argument here. Technology progresses!

As I said above, Cushing will probably just be included in a few minor scenes. For the Han Solo movie, they have to recast Han Solo because he will basically be in almost every shot of the movie.

2. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    It just seems kind of pointless (and gimmicky) to me. Plus creepy and awkward. Nope, do not want.

3. Edgar Allen Poe Dameron

Edgar Allen Poe Dameron Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    I haven't seen antman so I can't comment on that but the young Arnie in Genisys did look better but still fake and plastic to me. I just don't see the need to go this route when recasting just makes more sense.

4. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Provided the Cushing estate is on-board, I personally don't find anything creepy or awkward about it. On the contrary, I think it would be nice that Lucasfilm would go to the time and the expense required to honor Peter in such a way.

That said, I still maintain that this article is very likely full of it.

I guess I don't really buy that... well, that Lucasfilm would go to the time and the expense required to pull something like this off. And mostly for the reasons you cite.

Would I love to have that sense of perfect visual continuity which would be provided by having "Peter Cushing" appear as Tarkin in Rogue One? Certainly. Would it tug at my heartstrings to see Peter "live" again? Naturally.

But it's a brave new world. Solo is already being recast. Can Luke and Leia be far behind? Not if Lucasfilm has any plans to start filling that thirty-year gap in the Big3 story with live-action media. And the company has to believe that if the public will be accepting of new faces in these roles, then they'd be willing to buy someone else as Tarkin, too.

As intriguing as it may be to try to include Cushing, if Tarkin has any kind of a sizable presence in this film, I think that I'd be very surprised if we don't just see a recast.

5. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    So ALL of Tarkin will be CGI? Seems a bit impractical, but I don't doubt they have the means to do it convincingly. I would think they'd just use a body double for the wide shots showing his whole body, similar to what was done for Dooku and Palpatine in Revenge of the Sith.

Speaking of Revenge of the Sith, they faced the exact same predicament. But the answer came in prosthetics. Seriously, I don't think it's that bad of a route to go.
    [​IMG]
    This is a rejected test shot of Wayne Pygram as Tarkin. It was rejected because he would have looked too old at this time, but still carries Cushing's uncanny presence. Another instance of bringing back an irreplaceable deceased actor through prosthetics was Martin Landau as Bela Lugosi in Ed Wood. Still very convincing.

Nevertheless, it's going to be a real treat seeing Tarkin back in Cushing's likeness. He's just one of those actors that you can't simply replace.

6. natureboy76

natureboy76 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 11, 2009
  7. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Tone it down a bit, especially the eyebrow region and the nose, and this might work as Tarkin.

8. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    There were actually numerous makeup tests for Tarkin, some faring better than others. You make a good observation; the facial features are exaggerated (this is why they were hesitant to make him look too young). Even from the distance you see Tarkin in the film, you can immediately tell it's him because his sharp features just pop out. That was the goal for his brief cameo. Going onto a more detailed role, things would have to be more precise, but there are definitely talented makeup artists out there who fit the bill.
    [​IMG]
    This is just a bust.

9. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    I'm fine with a CGI Tarkin as long as the character is appearing on a video screen or in a hologram transmission. I don't want to see a CGI'd face Tarkin walking around in a scene with live actors. That won't be very convincing and I don't see why the script would call for that when you can just have Tarkin cameo giving orders via transmission to the Imperials who are the main antagonists in Rogue One and portrayed by live actors...

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  10. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    Could somebody rename this thread into "Tarkin in Rouge One"?
    Because "Peter Cushing in Rouge One" sounds so morbid to me...

Baron_Papanerd, Krueger and Breogan like this.
  11. Breogan

Breogan Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 20, 2015
    Agreed.

natureboy76 and DaddlerTheDalek like this.
  12. outerrimjaba

outerrimjaba Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 2015
    Agreed. I'm still curious over the line in the DM article noting a pivotal plot line is that 'Tarkin created Vader'. I chalk it up to a sophomoric error, and the writer meant Death Star. However, the new canon keeps growing the Grand Moff's role and importance. Just can't see how they can connect those dots, when Tarkin (in the new Canon novel titled the same name)is guessing (albeit correctly) that Vader is Anakin. Seems he would've had a presence in the "Sheev Palpatine medical center" during the transformation of Vader.

Or, it could do something with the Tarkin directive that keeps getting mention in the Vader comics. A directive similar to the Will Smith movie, iRobot, and AI guidance.

13. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    They can do it if they want to. They've been able to do realistic CGI since the 90's. Just there is also a lot of bad CGI out there for one reason or another. The only difference between the 90's and now is it is easier and cheaper to do realistic CGI. Even if it is bad CGI there are tons of ways to hide it with lighting, shadows, atmosphere, angles, etc. etc. It is all about if they are willing to put the resources necessary to make it happen or not. Most movies do not, let's hope they do.

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  14. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I think they could pull it off. Like mentioned before, CG has made obvious advances in this area over the years-and it will continue to improve. There are a lot of things that also go into the effectiveness/realisticness of how he could look in Rogue One: Using a real actor's body with his face rendered over the actor's, the shot used (distant vs. close up), the positioning, the length of a single frame/shot, and of course even the lighting. All of this can work together to make his "cameo" look more and more convincing/real. Again, I don't think he'd be able to hold multiple scenes focusing on him, but if it's just a cameo with mere seconds of exposure, where the camera is constantly switching position during the scene, I think it could work. I was quite impressed with Michael Douglas' younger version in Ant Man. I'd imagine if it were made to look like that (and it can, even if Cushing is not on set), and for that length of time, it can be sufficiently convincing...

Of course, if he is portrayed as a hologram, then all of this is moot-and that would be quite easy!

Either way, I'm sure they are aware how important it will be not to halfass it. I have confidence they will only do it if it can be done right!

15. TheOneX_Eleazar

Oct 24, 2013
    My biggest concern with this would be his voice. Getting someone talented enough to replicate his voice is extremely difficult.Josh Brolin's voice, in my opinion, was the biggest reason why I could believe him to be a young Agent K in MIB3.

16. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    They could solve it by using archival sounds from his other films. Either by using them as they are by cutting and editing, or by letting a computer go through all archived sounds and then create a computerized voice which will be able to create completely new words. Anything is possible today.

17. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I think whoever voices Tarkin in Rebels isn't bad-at least for an animated series.

If they can get someone to do it that closely, then I'm sure for a cameo-type role in Rogue One somebody could be found who can do it even better. And again, if Tarkin appears as a hologram, then it would be much easier-since there will be the signal distortion muddying the sound of his voice abit...

18. Breogan

Apr 20, 2015
    Seriously can we not have this thread changed already?
    Peter Cushing is in no way shape or form appearing in Rouge One, show some respect.
    The topic is about Tarkin, the character he played , appearing in Rogue one, and using his likeness.
    Or at least change it to Peter Cushing's likeness in Rogue one.

Maybe it's a distance of age thing, but I can't imagine anyone starting a thread titled --
    Heath Ledger appearing in Batman v. Superman... without people bugging out over disrespect, albeit in a thread obviously about inserting the Joker digitally.

19. TheOneX_Eleazar

Oct 24, 2013
    I do not see how that title is disrespectful in any way. It might be disrespectful of the studio to use their likeness, but the title is in no way disrespectful.

20. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I think Peter Capaldi would make a great Cushing:

[​IMG]

21. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Not bad.

22. TheOneX_Eleazar

Oct 24, 2013
    The right look, but completely wrong voice.

23. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    If it works they could do this for a young Luke live action film.

24. Breogan

Apr 20, 2015
    LOL what is with this thread? He'd hypothetically be playing Tarkin not Cushing.
    I know everyone knows it, so what is with the nature of this thread not distinguishing the actor and the character. [face_laugh]

In tho Solo thread do people suggest actors to play Harrison Ford or to play Solo? In the Leia thread talk about someone playing Carrie Fisher? Or in the Kenobi thread actors to play Alec Guinness ?
    No big deal, but LOL! What is with the disconnect here?

25. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I think some people just want an impression of Peter Cushing.[face_dunno]