main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Spider-Man 3 Discussion Thread - Spoilers

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Jan 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    They have to do the lizard, right? Hasn't he been in both the Spiderman 2 and 3 video games? I guess they can keep him exclusive to just that, but that's a waste for sure.

2. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    I think he was (I know he was in 3 but I'm not sure about 2). The Lizard is also a villain that I think could work well in 4.

3. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    He has somehow been in all three films so far.
    SM1 - He was breifly referenced when Peter explained to Harry that Doctor Connor's had fired him...I believe for being late again.
    SM2 - He is seen twice. Once near the beginning when Peter is running to class but drops his book and as he stand he runs into Connors (note the sleave of one arm of the Jacket is rolled up but you can make out the shape of his arm below the jacket). The second time is during Peter's "Rain Drops" montage as Peter correctly answers a question in class.
    SM3 - featured him more prominently...

However I see no reason he has to be used. Simply because he is referenced means nothing. Nothing is owed to the actor or character. And when you force a character upon a filmmaker to adapt you often get mixed results. Only do the character if you can do the character justice and give them a good story, not because you owe it to someone...

4. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Oct 3, 2004
    I was actually talking about the video games. ;) But you are correct, Doc Connors has been in or referenced in each of the three films. The Lizard could prove to be a good villian especially if a good storyline is written. He would certainly be a more personal villain then Doc Ock.

5. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2004
    " However I see no reason he has to be used. Simply because he is referenced means nothing. Nothing is owed to the actor or character. And when you force a character upon a filmmaker to adapt you often get mixed results. Only do the character if you can do the character justice and give them a good story, not because you owe it to someone..."

He's not owed, no, but He is the logical next step. The lizard's story is really good and could bring the Spider-man flicks back to where it started. The only reason I think they've avoided doing so far is that they can't seem the get the CG Lizard to look cool enough. i seem to recall reading something about troubles with the look of the Lizard somewhere, a while before Spider-man 2....

D_M_S_L

6. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    The Sandman CG was great so surely they can probably get their act together and put a lizard on the screen.

7. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    And maybe even make a decent movie... :p

8. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Doesn anyone happen to know when the third movie will be released on DVD? Shouldn't it have happened by now? Or are they waiting to time it with Christmas sales?

9. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
  10. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Oh that's great. Thanks. I'll treat myself to an early, impromptu birthday present. I haven't seen it yet. I know. I know. You try having two kids and tell me the one movie you got to see that year that didn't have a rat as a chef. :p

11. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    I fail to see how he is the next logical step. I think the best story would be a more appropriate next step. If that revolves around the Lizzard great but I don't think they should be held to using a character unless they have a great story for them. Look what happened to Venom and there is an amazing story surrounding that character, that they simply glossed over since apparently the filmmakers neither understood, nor cared about the character.

All I am saying is that a good story should be priority over the hierarchy or order of popularity of the rogues gallery. If that means Kraven so be it. If that means Chameleon, fine. If thats Carnage, Kingpin, The Sinister Six...Kangaroo, whatever the villain they choose the choice should be made based on the best possible story they can create, not who is owed or is the "next logical step."

12. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Mar 11, 2004
    What's your beef with the Lizard..? What, does he owe you money or something? Of course Spidey 4 should have a good story, that goes with out saying, as far as I'm concerned... The question is who's the next logical villain? In my opinion it's the Lizard... I don't really want to see Carnage, I love the character, but judging by how poorly Venom was handled in S3, I don't think it'll fly. Kraven would also be a cool baddie for S4, as I said earlier... Black Cat would also be quite cool, as a kind of subplot.

Who do you want? Take your pick...

Mysterio
    Rhino
    Shocker
    Vulture
    Scorpion
    Electro
    Chameleon
    Hobgoblin
    Morbius

D_M_S_L

13. Darth_Pogey

Darth_Pogey Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    Scorpion and Mysterio(but only if they can make mysterio un-cheesy)

14. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Oct 3, 2004
    I'd personally like to see either Carnage and the Lizard or Kraven and the Lizard. Whoever their first choice is, I think that having the Lizard as a secondary villain would be a smart play.

15. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Mar 11, 2004
    Anybody else think the Spider-man "the musical" is just a bad idea? I realize that it works with many things, but Spidey??? What's next, Bono of U2 writing the music?...Oh...Wait. He is already.

D_M_S_L

16. Darth_Pogey

Darth_Pogey Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    So yeah this came out on DVD yesterday. I picked it up and it was a little bit better than the first time. And I have new respect for it when compared to other 3rd movies that came out this summer.

17. Darth_Sabith

Darth_Sabith Jedi Master star 4

Oct 17, 2006
    I think the guy who almost killed spiderman to drain his radiation would be cool but mix him with the hunter to make a new character. Also you'd have to have the lizard in the next one. Maybe have him hunting both of them with spidy having to help the lizard because it'd Doc Conners but the lizard attacking Spider-man the entire time.

18. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    I have nothing against the Lizard. I have something against people making a bad movie when there is enough good material to make something at least half decent. Who the next villain will be shouldn't be a matter of "The next logical step". There is not pecking order or hierarchy of villains in Spider-Man's rogues gallery that demands someone should be used before anyone else.

Honestly there are a number of villains I would like to see get adapted but given how they have chewed through five villains in three movies many of whom received rather inadequate story development I am not eager to start making demands that the filmmakers adapt anyone. I would rather a story come along that dictates what villain to use rather than choosing a random villain and building a story to suit them.

And there are a number of Villains not listed in your choices. Both Ezekial and Morlun, though more recent, have intriguing stories to be told and I think that would adapt well. And there is any number of villains neither of us are naming that could be utilized. But again its not up to me or you.

If they have a good Lizard story then by all means use him. I have absolutely no issue with that. But to use him simply because fans believe they are owed something or that its "the next logical step" is not only ridiculous its a recipe for disaster.

19. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I bought the DVD today and it came with a Spider-Man mask. The problem is, the mask is way too small to fit an adult's head. Sigh...

20. Darth_Sabith

Oct 17, 2006
    you know my biggest problem with the movies is the fact they unmasked peter way to many times...don't they know what a secret is suppose to be...

21. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    Don't read the current Spidey comic books then.

22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Another reason to hate Tony Stark.

For me, they unmasked Venom/Eddie Brock too many times. I understand why; Hollywood feels it's important to see facial expressions, which deminishes the intimidation and fear factor of a villain's persona. Just image seeing Darth Vader unmasked.

Additionally, there were too many characters in Spidey 3 which watered down the depth of the characters and the script.

I haven't picked up the DVD, yet. I'll probably pick up a copy at a Blockbuster or Hollywood Video when it hits the used DVD rack and I could buy like 3 movies for $25.

23. Darth_Sabith

Oct 17, 2006
    Actually I stop reading them because of the big hype of "Back in Black" just to have him in the black costume for ONE picture then the next comic he completly got rid of the spidy suit. Honestly I'm so glad thor kicked the daylights out of him and plans on doing it again to tony. Your right about to many villians honestly the movie was kinda of a let down you had sandman which was cool but the whole he's sorry for what he did then end it thing was terrible. I was expecting much more from it then Venom was to short of a fight they should have left the sandman out or at lest keep him out until the end. Or they should have just ended it with Peter and the sandman man dukeing it out with Harry having to help and leave venom to appear in the next movie with JUST VENOM. They could have even released a venom move following eddie brock.

24. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Oct 3, 2004
    Venom should definitely have gotten his own film, there was so much more they could have done with the character.

25. Darth_Sabith

Oct 17, 2006
    You know I love Sam's work but since he didn't even know or like venom I think he shouldn't have been in charge of the character you need someone who has passion for all the characters

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.