main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Spider-Man & SSU Films (Madame Web, Venom 3, Kraven, Beyond the Spider-Verse)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, May 20, 2008.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I’m curious to see what this thing ends up being- seeing a lot of body horror-meets-buddy comedy descriptions. Some saying it’s bad but in the right way, others saying it’s just worse.

2. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony 16X Wacky Wed/12X Hangman Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Do any of the reviews say that miss Topher Grace?

3. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Well I guess since the baseball season is over I'm going to go see Venom tomorrow night - hard to believe I have such low expectations for a movie about one of my favorite characters but there is just nothing that has me excited for this.

4. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    [​IMG]

I take it all back, this film is going to be amazing.

heels1785 and Chewgumma like this.
  5. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Well, I expected poor reviews for Venom ever since we got of first look of the character and everyone reacted on how poor the CGI was. Moreover, a Venom film without Spider-Man would be like a Joker flick without Batman. Wait a minute... scratch that. A Joker film without Batman looks like it's going to be amazing.

Anyway, I'm still looking forward to seeing Venom despite it being poorly received because of all the calluses from super hero films like Superman: A Quest for Peace, Batman and Robin, Catwoman, Spider-Man 3, Spawn and so on. So, if the film sucks it won't leave a mark. And if it really sucks hard, Sony might just give up all together on their Venom-verse.

What I'm still excited about Venom is seeing other symbiotes. It's going to be a Riot.

And it won't be a total loss going to the theater to see Venom because I'm sure the new Into the Spider-Verse trailer will be attached to Venom and Spider-Verse looks amazing (Spidey pun intended) on the big screen.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    cubman987 likes this.
  6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    That Into the Spider-Verse trailer was pretty grand, also it looks like freakin' Kingpin is the main antagonist in the film (he's the one opening the dimensional portal). Ya see, people?! Kingpin isn't a Daredevil baddie, he's a Spider-Man baddie!

Oh and Lady Gaga's Little Monsters Fandom are doing a social media takedown of Venom to sabotage it's opening against Star is Born. no, really!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/lady-gaga-venom-weaponized-fandom-1148979

It’s the battle of the monsters this weekend. In one corner we have the alien symbiote Venom who could very well launch a new cinematic universe for Sony. In the other we have the “Little Monsters,” Lady Gaga’s fanbase who is fighting for audiences to show up for her awards worthy performance in A Star is Born. Tuesday, it was discovered that a group of Lady Gaga fans were attempting to sabotage Venom’s opening weekend box office by writing negative reviews of Venom on Twitter once the social media embargo lifted. Twitter users noticed that a significant number of reactions to Venom following Monday’s premiere contained the same content right down to the punctuation, and one of them told Buzzfeed it was a coordinated attack on Venom.

The most prominent faux hot take offenders were “I am the biggest marvel fan but I just watched #Venom and I don’t know what to say. Easily the worst movie this year. I expected so much better and now I’m just disappointed” and “Just got out of a #Venom preview.. Thankfully it was free. Worst two hours of my life. I will be taking my wife to see Lady GaGa’s new movie #AStarisBorn with Bradley Cooper on Friday. Their song Shallow is great..”

7. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I am going to see Venom on Friday morning. Personally I think the Trailers have looked great! It looks like a lot of fun! I am sure Spider Man will join Venom in Sequels or Spider Man Films.

8. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I really need the name of your supplier.

cubman987 and vin like this.
  9. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    It is so Tobey Spidey.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Also Spider-verse Parker punches a car that is flying through a window at him and MJ in a coffee shop. Not 100% from Spider-Man 2 when Doc Ock throws a car at them in the shop but it's really close.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  11. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    You guys....Venom is not good.

12. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    gak seeing it Saturday!

13. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I’m seeing it tomorrow. I hope it’s decent enough.

14. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Sorry for the double post. But do you guys think Sony will cancel their planned universe if Venom earns no money, on top of the poor ratings? I know it’s cruel, but I hope so, just so they can sell Marvel the rights.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Morbius will probably still happen, either way. And if THAT bombs, Sony might try to set up a collaboration with Marvel for any future films so that they are MCU as a quality control. Spiderverse still being a wild card. I don't see Sony giving up the rights ever, though- they'll want their slice.

16. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    this guy knows his spiderman. will take his word.

cubman987 likes this.
  17. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    No, I don't either.

And frankly they'd be dumb to do so, especially given the position they're in. They don't have a large stable of viable franchises like Disney does. Which is why a full on collab with Marvel is probably seen as last resort over there. They likely want to put out more than one movie every year or two and it will be hard for them to get them more frequently than that working with Marvel as their sole creative with Sony keeping the revenue like the current arrangement.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  18. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    At least one good thing has come out of the Venom debacle.

It's been an excuse for Tom Hardy to play with dogs! [face_love]

19. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    Okay so a little bit more about Venom - it's just really dumb. It's clear there was a longer movie filmed that was heavily edited as it's choppy, some parts of the story feel like there was more to it but it's not there, and it kind of contradicts itself at times. Now, that's not to say I didn't find some entertainment value, parts of it are hilariously bad so at least entertaining but other parts are just boring bad and it can't decide what kind of movie it wants to be. Still, it didn't actually make me mad like the newest Fantastic Four movie and I feel like they were trying to do the character right (they failed a bit on this though). Hardy seems to have had fun making this and is easily the best part of the movie; as the special effects are bad and dark, the rest of the cast seems uninterested in being involved, and the story is dumb. Also, if you remember those rumors that Venom isn't actually in the movie much.....well they were true to a point....technically the character Venom is in most of the movie but you don't see a lot of Eddie in the "suit", or not as much as I think there should have been. I dunno, I'd probably watch this again to kind of make fun of it but it's disappointing not to get a good movie about a character I've always really liked.

Oh, and there is a mid credits scene that is actually kind of cool, it's pretty spoilery so don't read if you don't want to be spoiled:
    Eddie goes to a prison to interview a prisoner, who is Woody Harrelson very clearly playing Kletus Cassidy and who threatens that when he gets out there will be carnage. So I'm torn now because I actually really want to see Harrelson play Carnage.....

Then if you stay all the way through the credits that is where the short clip of "Into the Spider-Verse" is played and it still looks like it's going to be great.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  20. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    The only way I see Sony selling off their licensing rights back to Marvel is if the Sony company as a whole is struggling financially. This was something that was discussed in various media outlet over the last year or so, as Sony's consumer electronics good have been struggling and Sony Pictures hasn't been able to create tent pole franchises or steady box office hits.

That's being said, if Venom bombs, Sony may seek a collaborative production deal with Marvel Studio like they did with Spider-Man. Meaning, the other Spidey related characters like Venom, Carnage, Black Cat, Silver Sable, Sinister Six, etc., could be produced by Marvel Studio but the production costs and revenues would be on Sony, as @The2ndQuest said. This way Sony keeps their Spidey license to create video games, animated films and whatnot, and benefits from Marvel Studio's work on the cinematic side.

I'd say it would also depends on the budget for Morbius. If Morbius was budgeted around $100 million, I'd say it won't happen because it's unlikely to be very profitable when you mix in promo and advertising (P&A) costs, which is usually half of the production cost. However, if its budget is around $50 million like the first Deadpool flick, it will probably go forward. Typically, a film needs to earn double the production costs to break even, because studios have to share the revenue with the theaters.

I'll say this, most movie going audience doesn't know that Venom is not actually a MCU film. They see the Marvel logo attached to the film and think it is an MCU film. Such was the case with the two morning radio talk shows I listen to, as they both say something to the effect of, "Venom is a Marvel movie, that's why it's critic proof and will make like $50 million this weekend." So Morbius would seriously need to display that Marvel tag to garner interest and revenue.

Into the Spider-Verse looks amazing and I hope it does tremendously well at the box office. I mean, I hope the film does as well as The Lego Movie so they'll continue to make such Spidey type of films. Not to mention, this is the introduction of Mile Morales to the general movie audience and I want Miles to be beloved by the general public as he is with comic book fans. I think Into the Spider-Verse will do an excellent job in distinguishing Miles from Peter and make him put his own stamp on the Spider-Man mantle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Just a heads up, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle was the 5th highest grossing worldwide film of 2017. It was wildly successful - moreso than Spiderman: Homecoming (to the tune of nearly $100 million), GOTG 2 (+$100 mil), and Thor: Ragnarok (+$110 mil). I'm not sure if the meme is trying to frame it as bad, or whatever, but lots of writers would kill to be attached to that kind of a film.

22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, that meme would have been better off leaving off Welcome to the Jungle. But that's still hitting at .250 and with Venom, that batting average will drop to .200. :p

heels1785 likes this.
  23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Him having written ASM2 makes a lot of sense. The handful of pundits who kept claiming Venom looked like a 90's movie were clearly wrong even as far back as the second trailer as the film radiated early/mid 2000's more than anything else, with a dash of polish not unlike the later ASM2 (which tried to grab Raimi-trilogy vibes). Then you have all this talk about how Venom feels like a mash-up of a campy comedy with a serious story and that just screams the same problem that ASM2 had: that mixture of horrible camp with Electro, etc and the serious ASM1-like Parker/Gwen content.

It really starts to expose what Sony's approach has been outside of ASM1: try to recapture the Raimi campiness in their Spider films even though that's something Raimi himself can sometimes have problems pulling off consistently.

24. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, from what I've gathered, from Raimi's problems with Sony's demands on Spider-Man 3 and Marc Webb's experiences with his Amazing Spider-Man flicks, is that Sony approaches the Spidey films with a check list of things that need to be in the film and the script must be written incorporate those items. Sony has had an erection for Venom since Spidey 3 and the Sinister Six since the start of Amazing Spider-Man, and so they tend to try to create a larger universe and cast of characters rather than just focusing on telling a good story with their characters.

I love how Raimi's original Spider-Man film states at the beginning of the film is a story "about a girl..." So, sweet and simple. It's character driven and therefore the audience are drawn in by the characters.

[​IMG]

PCCViking likes this.
  25. ArtemusGordon

ArtemusGordon Jedi Master star 1

May 30, 2015
    I actually love the idea that Venom was a loser on his homeworld and chooses to save Earth just because he finally matters somewhere.