main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST ST Criticism Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jun 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    If he was actually going for Jackie Chan-style, that`s ridiculous. Because despite often doing so in comedies, Jackie Chan IS a master martial artist. He is doing it all himself. You can`t replicate Jackie Chan with amateurs. That is so far above their paygrade, its not even funny.

Chirrut Imwe in Rogue One could be the exact staff-wielding badass he was because of Donnie Yen. If you had put a non-martial artist actor in the role you would have to do the tricks of the trade aka using more stuntmen and lots of cuts in editing. That does take away from an action scene because the less cuts you use and the more you can see the actual actor doing it, the more it enhances the portrayal of them as a badass. There is a reason why Tom Cruise in the Mission Impossible franchise or Keanu Reevs in both Matrix and John Wick make the action parts work.

Obviously, neither Adam Driver nor Daisy Ridley are at that level of skill. Which, you can`t blame them for but in that case use fight choreography that matches their skill level.

2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    If the number of unexpected and unearned twists and turns is how one determines the quality of a film, TLJ gets an A plus. But that is one of it’s primary flaws, IMO, and it’s a big one. Things “don’t go the the way you think” but there’s scant justification for it. In Game of Thrones, for example, the unexpected events ultimately have clear, earned and logical story and character rationales. TLJ barely even bothers with that sort of thing. Why? I think because RJ doesn’t take the genre all that seriously. He sees it as pulpy fluff with a touch of philosophical depth. For some, including some serious and intelligent fans, that’s all Star Wars is and should be. And I do honestly respect that perspective. But for those of us who want more than that, it falls dangerously flat.

3. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    To me the SW as genre is a mixture of fairytale genre with swashbuckling fun under a Sci-Fi guise. However, that alone would be generic so to make it SW, you need a unique air of spirituality and heart to it.

Unexpected twists in and of themselves say nothing about the quality of the material. Flipping around some road movie/gangster drama/hostage drama into a crazy pulpy vampire slasher was an unexpected twist in From Dusk Till Dawn. And it worked very well. The two genres are not so far apart and the two halves of the movie are not so differently stylized that it doesn`t work. The protagonists also go on journey that remain consistent through both parts.

Doing twists just for the sake of twists would be to start a movie out as a medical drama, then swap it into Sci-Fi, then romantic comedy, then Western etc. Sure, it`s gonna be unpredictable but it won`t be cohesive or even remotely good.

I don`t accept the claim that if someone found TFA too much of a copy-cat, they can`t complain about TLJ. What? If someone burns my hand, I could still complain if someone else freezes it next. BOTH are unplesant sensations.

4. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    About the current state of SW:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    2Cleva and Jedha like this.
  5. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Previous "twists" tended to make sense and didn't feel like they were thrown in their just for the sake of doing them. Even the most wonky one, the Leia is Luke's sister reveal, doesn't feel like it's there just to be "shocking," but more as a way for Lucas to wrap the OT up quicker.

THAT'S the distinction with TLJ, it does twists simply for the sake of doing them. It's obsessed with it's own perceived cleverness basically.

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I just never got that vibe. The one twist that I guess I wasn't a fan of was Rose saving Finn at the last minute and giving whatever that speech was supposed to be.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  7. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    There's so many. Finn's injury from TFA being used for dumb comedy and then forgotten about, Luke tossing the saber over his shoulder and then stomping off in ways that Rian clearly intended to be funny, Snoke's death, Holdo being "right" but not really, DJ betraying them, Kylo flip-flopping motivations, etc.

They're either not funny, poorly-executed and make no sense in-context, or are trying WAY too hard to be "deep."

8. cane_danko

cane_danko Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 2, 2018
    So i normally do not criticize the sequels but i will point out one thing that is a pretty glaring mistake. Some of you may know this and some not but in the throne room scene when rey is battling the praetorian that is duel wielding daggers they lock up briefly where rey drops her lightsaber to kill him with a reverse grip. If you look at the free hand the dagger he had a moment before is gone. Digitally removed would be my guess after the fight coreographer pointed out he could just stab her in the back. This is a weird thing for me but does not ruin the movie though. So don’t say i never gave you guys anything or said this movie was perfect!

9. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    There *is* a kind of “face it, this is all the same thing, in a broad strokes kind of way” attitude to TLJ. I’ve generally referred to it as a “deconstruction-reconstruction” story that botched it’s reconstruction phase, but it may genuinely be more accurate to think that Rian Johnson considered “exposing the skeleton and discussing it” a great artistic goal for his film, where the conventions and expected rules are pointed out, “lightly” mocked, and Johnson tries to argue about the core value he sees in it.

It would be accurate to refer to TLJ as a “bare-bones” Star Wars story in terms of the actual plot and world building it progresses through, and in the way it almost tries to incorporate a generalization about the franchise into its final message: good will always end up triumphing, and any loss experienced will eventually fade. There’s a reason why TFA’s ending is a lot more somber in tone and execution, even if the heroes just achieved victory and have regained hope, while TLJ come some off as too light and joyful, considering all the deaths that were just experienced and how the FO is still poised to take over: in RJ’s creative vision, the expendable nature of the redshirts is just a kooky aspect of the story, so why put weight on it? In fact, why put weight on anything that isn’t Luke’s story arc at all? Everyone’s just archetypes going through the motions. These aren’t characters, they’re timeless memetic ideas, etc, etc.

But there’s two major issues with this:

1- The first is its accuracy; namely, that a lot of RJ’s generalizations are dubious in their conclusion, or simply wrong. Star Wars has a few happy endings, but in general? This is actually kind of a bittersweet, no-happy-endings-guaranteed franchise. ANH probably has the most straight-forward happy ending in the franchise, and even that’s colored by the succeeding movies into a more complex ending. The PT is a tragedy, and ESB’s dark ending basically defines what “Part 2” films are supposed to do in trilogies, while ROTJ is very, very somber regarding the main hero and doesn’t flinch from the deaths required to achieve victory.

And as to the archetypal nature of the characters? Kylo Ren isn’t some archetype of “adolescent rebellion:” he’s a patricidal war criminal who’s personal ethos is that of a Neo-Nazi. That kind of deviance from the norm is not something that lines up with “adolescent rebellion” because by and large, the vast majority of rebellious adolescents aren’t going to become criminals or radicalized political agitators, let alone Neo-Nazis. Oh, and Kylo Ren? Not an adolescent: dude’s 30. RJ also seemed to miss the appeal and purpose of the other ST characters: he seemed to chalk Finn up to just comic relief, felt compelled to draw Poe into the spotlight just so he could deconstruct the Ace Pilot archetype instep dof using him as a fun supporting character, and totally blanked on Rey’s characterization.

Luke almost seems to have received the only solid focus from him because of the character’s pop culture footprint, and even that’s skewed by the “deconstruct the genre” nature of the film. Luke’s written in a manner philosophical to the outside world and viewing audience, but shallow and self-centered in-universe. No wonder there’s so much focus on explicitly talking about what the audience expected, but no adequate grappling with the deaths of his students: RJ’s only really having the characters talk to the audience, not to each other, and value what the audience expects, not how they’d actually react.

2- Perhaps more seriously, treating the genre with such “amused disdain” kind of kills the dramatic value of the franchise and the current storyline. When some professional TLJ-supporting critics talk about TLJ “maturing” the franchise, it’s probably this cheerful rejection of dramatic stakes and internal consistency they refer to: they always kind of cordoned Star Wars off as “genre film” that they could watch but refused to get too engrossed in, so having that acknowledged in an “art film” way makes them feel rewarded.

But Star Wars, in the long term, depends on that hypnotizing effect of unabashed escapism. It requires you to be drawn in and heavily invested in downright fantastical characters and elements to truly get the rewards for watching it film after film, a bit like how comicbook films, sitcoms, and soap operas require the audience to care about the kookiness and over-the-top elements. Star Wars needs you to care about the possible damnation of Luke’s soul in the same way that Fawlty Towers needs you believing Nigel could be so damn horrible but keep his hotel, or the way Avengers needs you to buy the tragedy of Thanos’s snap even if the genre conventions say the people will return, or how people in soap operas can have sooooooo many affairs but still think “love” is what they’re after.

When TLJ deliberately undercuts its own stakes, or refuses to replace what elements of the setting or characters it’s removing/denying, it hollows out a huge chunk of Star Wars’s appeal. It’s all well and good to say that you think Rey Skywalker is too predictable, but you’ve got to replace the appeal of that idea if you’re going to avoid it, or else you render Rey empty on some level as a character. You may think that it’s a timeless message to have the cast react as though they know that they’ll win in Episode IX... but then you’re going to need *something* to bring the audience back for Episode IX. And the general lack of weight to the deaths of supporting characters throughout the film makes the series feel weightless, killing suspense.

10. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Rey Skywalker/Solo was predictable because for conventional storytelling reasons, it was the best way to go. It’s “predictable” in the same way Spider Man being Peter Parker in a Spider Man movie is predictable. That doesn’t mean they can’t defy the convention obviously. Into the Spider-Verse is my favorite Spider-Man movie. But if you’re going to go that unpredictable route, you’ve gotta make it worth it. Why is this new/unconnected character the protagonist? How is it her story?

Spider-verse succeeds on that front, with Miles as the clear cut protagonist and star of the show, while Parker is an able mentor-figure that’s a little rough around the edges (like Luke should have been).

TLJ is a miserable failure on the question, treating its “protagonist” like a prop. Rey Random serves no purpose to the story besides reducing Rey in importance to the story. Yeah I’m subverted though, so congrats on that I guess. If the goal is being unpredictable for the sake of it, LF achieved that.

afrojedi, DBPirate, 2Cleva and 18 others like this.
  11. Jedha

Jedha Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2017
    I agree with this video 100%. Succint analysis and proof our current "media" and click bait empires are on payola.

That's it? Free your mind and the rest will follow.....

The female protagonist of the ST was sacrificed on the alter of some misguided attempt democratize the force, with platitudes and talking points from new media who had not paid real attention to the saga or where not old enough to experience the OT in real time. Social media induced political correctness that thinks age old mythology should be trashed. Let the old things die why don't ya! The irony is she leaves TLJ less of a feminist icon than when she entered.

I hope some of these whipper snappers take the time to go see Mary Queen of Scotts this weekend. Geez.

12. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    The "democratizing The Force" thing annoys me to no end for one simple reason. THE FORCE WAS ALREADY DEMOCRATIC, IT'S NEVER NOT BEEN!!!! This franchise NEVER has said that you HAVE to be a Skywalker in order to use The Force, or be powerful. All it said is that the Skywalker family are unusually gifted in it in-general. And even then, Leia wasn't depicted as being uber-Force Powerful until, ironically, TLJ.

But as for "well anyone can do it," yeah that's why we had Obi Wan in the original movie, Yoda in ESB, Vader, Sheev, and then the PT/TCW had Mace Windu, Qui Gon, Dooku, everyone else on the Jedi Council, Ahsoka Tano, and like 9,999 other Jedi, more or less, NOT named "Skywalker." You also had Kanan and Ezra on Rebels, the latter of whom was presented as quite naturally gifted/powerful with The Force despite not being a Skywalker.

So they sacrificed Rey's character, and Luke's for that matter, to make a "point" that wasn't necessary because it had already been made crystal clear a long time ago.

afrojedi, Aiel, 2Cleva and 19 others like this.
  13. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    If they really were telling a story of the democratization of the force, Rey wouldn’t have had her story be about playing therapist to Skywalkers. The only reason Rey gives a damn about their problems is because they’re Skywalkers and therefore the story needs her to. It’s so hilarious to me how after TFA people acted like if Rey was a Skywalker, she’d be defined by Luke, but somehow it’s better to have Rey’s character wrapped up in Skywalker men for absolutely no reason whatsoever personal to her. It’s totally more feminist for a girl to define herself through what strangers tell her her purpose is! Because that’s what we girls do after all. Seek out strangers to explain our lives to us. What cute stranger bad boy can I sacrifice my life for today? (Said nobody ever)

afrojedi, DBPirate, Aiel and 15 others like this.
  14. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Rey Related wasn’t necessarily the BEST answer, but it was arguably the most efficient and adaptable answer you could go with for whatever story you wanted, giving you a free hand for quality improvement. Even RJ’s desire to make TLJ more of a Luke Skywalker epilogue rather than a true sequel to TFA would have benefitted: Rey would have a stronger bond with Luke, they’re interactions would have a lot more weight both positively and negataively, and when all was said and done and RJ had killed off Luke, Rey hasn’t lost a step as the new hero, and she now carries forward momentum from Luke’s story.

The biggest disadvantage of Rey Related was its predictability, if that was a dealbreaker for you, and keeping the films focused on the Skywalker, if you wanted to move past them. But going Rey Random, after the context of TFA, meant that either Rey would pretty much have to occupy center stage of TLJ and receive massive amounts of focus and change at the expense of other characters... or you were going to make her a lesser character. I would have been okay with TLJ clarifying she was random five minutes in and then dedicating the lion’s share of it’s time to making her a worthy replacement for a Skywalker hero; Creed kind of worked on similar logic for continuing the Rocky movies, and Finn was my favorite character in TFA because he had a huge storyline for the Saga.

But the route chosen left Rey shackled with the storytelling disadvantages of both Rey Skywalker and Rey Random, leaving her unsupported for either option.

15. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Also how is The Force "democratized" here? The only Force Users in the ST who AREN'T Skywalker's are Rey (who is the "special chosen one/space messiah), and Snoke (who's thrown away with little fanfare). No one else has The Force that we know of. Not Finn, not Poe, not Rose, not Hux, not Phasma, not Holdo, not nobody. And even then the ultimate uber Force Users are Kylo (a Skywalker/Solo), and Rey (Chosen One 2.0).

And Luke's other students, who COULD have maybe done more to sell this idea, are all disposed of OFFSCREEN and no one in-universe seems to really care because, it's all about Kylo.

And as for Rey Skywalker, or Rey Palpatine, or Rey Kenobi, or whatever, it would at least give SOME kind of halfway decent explanation for why she's so uber-powerful (since those characters are known to be so) since we barely get an explanation for it as it is, and its a lame one. And also Rey Skywalker would have instantly gave her a better connection to both Luke and Kylo, better explained this supposed "bond" that she has with the latter, given her more defined motivations for going to Kylo and/or getting involved in this fight, and even given a bit more depth to her dynamic with Han as well. Oh and also, it'd feel like an actual continuation of the "Skywalker Saga" since even KK has claimed that that's what the ST is.

How is this any more "democratic" with The Force than the OT was? Heck the PT was FAR more democratic with it than the ST is.

afrojedi, Aiel, 2Cleva and 14 others like this.
  16. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    This is the biggest reason I actually feel like they didn't grasp or bother to pay attention to anything in the earlier films and just didn't give two *****.

afrojedi, DBPirate, Aiel and 13 others like this.
  17. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I think people misunderstand what they meant by 'democraisation' of the Force. They aren't changing anything about the Force. They are responding to the fan theories that she must be related to someone.

18. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    If that’s what they’re doing, it’s even worse then. Storytelling isn’t about “responding to fan theories.”

afrojedi, DBPirate, Aiel and 14 others like this.
  19. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    Unless it's the photograph of RJ with the "Your Snoke theory sucks" card. He uses that in defense of leaving out anything about Snoke but wants to claim that fan theories are what caused him to make Rey Random? Can't have it both ways.

afrojedi, DBPirate, Aiel and 8 others like this.
  20. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    I can just picture how that conversation between Luke and Yoda would go:

Yoda: "Only strong in the Force, your family is."
    Luke: "But Master Yoda that's not what you said before. You said that The Force was simply strong in my family, not that we're the only ones?"
    Yoda: "Oh well, ignore that little detail you must. Ignored it themselves, these new creators have."
    Luke: "Also what about you Master? You were the most powerful Jedi around for centuries yet you're not part of my family?"
    Yoda: "Doesn't fit the new agenda, that little detail. To make this work, ignore it you must. Forget my supreme badassery, these new movies have. Poorly conceived mess, these scripts are."
    Luke: "Yeah, I mean they turned me into a whiny idiot who abandons his loved ones and runs off to pout and leaves them all to die for my mistake."
    Yoda: "Exactly, now get the heck out of here am I. Only so much of this crap, can I take. Bored am I, to the space casino I will go."

afrojedi, Aiel, DarthFixxxer and 13 others like this.
  21. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    No because the characters (specifically Kylo and Snoke) also look to much into Force 'royalty'. It's a rebuke to them as well.

22. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    I don’t think I’ve seen RJ claim that that is why he made her random. That would be RJ essentially owning being a troll lol.

RJ’s explanations are terrible though. He didn’t want to hand Rey purpose on a silver platter. He thought the hardest thing he could throw at her was being unimportant. Though that second one feels like him looking for an explanation because it makes no sense at all. TFA Rey couldn’t care less about being unimporant and even TLJ Rey was “woohooing” five minutes later.

No it’s not. The film tells us Rey exists because of Kylo. Her importance is wrapped up in him even though she’s not a Skywalker.

And for the record, storytelling shouldn’t be a rebuke of the fans at all. That shouldn’t factor in period.

afrojedi, DBPirate, Aiel and 13 others like this.
  23. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    He didn't hand her a purpose at all, that's the problem. The purpose that Rian went with, is basically the same one that JJ gave her in TFA. Only it was done far better there. Her character just went in a giant annoying circle in TLJ essentially.

Heck even something like her parents turning out to be FO officers, or evil Sith, or something would have been more interesting and given her more potential emotional turmoil than what we got.

Also when was it established that Snoke was into "Force Royalty." I don't recall that EVER being a thing with him, quite the reverse in fact. And even that being a thing with Kylo hasn't been properly established since they refuse to give us more of his backstory/motives for turning beyond Luke being a reckless imbecile once.

24. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I think that how they saw it, as well, but the response they had was tone deaf and self-defeating.

Rey, regardless of her heritage, was being slotted into the same position that Luke and Anakin occupied, as well as Obi-Wan in Phantom Menace. As such, the character had to match them in some way. So even a totally unrelated and new character has to aim for the same scale and quality of focus and growth as Luke Skywalker in the OT: the precedent he set a few generations ago in cinema is pretty high, so you can’t slack off in trying to follow up on it. Making her related to the Skywalkers, or to previous Force users, is a handy short cut for helping her reach those levels. And a risk that comes with keeping her unrelated to anyone is a possibility of her being lost in the shuffle unless the creators keep their eye on the ball and orient the work around her: it’s her story now instead of the Skywalkers, so no one else can take the spotlight from her without casting her adrift in importance.

And while I get the potential drawbacks of making her related to anyone else, can it honestly be said that people would not be excited at that connection, any connection? Aside from predictability, what other major drawbacks does it have? They already conceded moving past the Skywalkers as a goal when they decided to bring back the OT3 and make Kylo a Solo, so having her bring focus on that family again isn’t even a flaw specific to her but to the overall story’s direction. And when you make the villain a Solo, you’ve opened up a can of worms about the family who Lucas gave a happy ending to, where either the Vader worship subsumed the rest of their story, or needs to be opposed by someone in the family who can secure its future. And then they killed off Han and Luke, while Carrie died.

The ST wrote itself into a corner where it had limited options in what it could do with Rey, and then ignored them and damaged its core appeal.

afrojedi, DBPirate, Aiel and 11 others like this.
  25. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    The fact that Rey was too reliant upon Kylo through the first half of the film, and that causes narrative issues, doesn't mean the intent wasn't to rebuke Kylo and Snokes obsession with established blood lines.

I don't know for sure that RJ intended it to be meta, but it works that way as well. They certainly aren't changing the Force, as has been claimed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.