main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC Stan's Bar 2.0 (OOC thread for Marvel Heroes: A New Breed)

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by greyjedi125, Oct 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    @Ameteth ah gotchya... mixed up with Starbrand. So he just thinks it and it happens? That's pretty spectacular - glad we're on the same side... [face_worried]

Ameteth and greyjedi125 like this.
  2. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    @greyjedi125 @Ktala - man, I was so tense when Shelley went out to talk to the two boys; would they be allies, or was this going to be a trap?

Even with the good news, I wonder how Tony knocked together a false collar within moments of the flash.

Cheers for the kind words and emoticon storm, re. the Doom Mac. :)

I already knew Mary would be thinking 'LUNCH' before y'all started going on about the burger, and I got inspired by old Warner Bros cartoons where starving characters would look at their mate and see a person-sized roast chicken in their place.
    I also watched a video on how Big Macs are made, for a bit of help.

Thanks again.

Ameteth, greyjedi125 and Ktala like this.
  3. greyjedi125

greyjedi125 Chosen One star 6

Apr 29, 2002
    Keep reading the updates. ;)

Doom Mac with Extra Cheese coming right up.

4. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    @Kurisan @Darth_Elu

*Wanders over to where you are sitting, and butts in*

A low-key hobby of mine, is learning, phonetically at least, greetings in different languages.

With a focus on take-away and restaurant staff, "Ni hao", "Ni hao ma", and "XieXie" (sometimes with a XieXie-in), are all within my Cantonese wheelhouse.

Never encountered, "Wo hen hao." What does that mean, please?

Aside from, for a time, learning how to ask for my favourite take-away meal, I have not attempted to learn any more of the language.

Darth_Elu and Kurisan like this.
  5. Kurisan

Apr 26, 2016
    @Sith-I-5 it’s Mandarin actually I don’t know very much Cantonese, I should also advise I’m not actually Chinese. However I speak just a little and it means “I’m very well.”

Wor = I
    Hen = very
    Hao = well
    (stretch the vowel sounds)

I think you got shie-shie-ni (or xie-xie-ni) for thank “you” and just mistyped as “in”?

K

Darth_Elu and greyjedi125 like this.
  6. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    @Kurisan - Ah, thank you.

If my source information is at all correct, the greeting words seem to be the same in both Mandarin and Cantonese.

I learned "Xie-Xie" (thank you), and picked up the extra syllable by osmosis from another source.

Now that you have reminded about xie-xie-ni, I think I can recall Jackie Chan trying to teach that to Chris Tucker in out-takes at the end of a Rush Hour instalment.

I've also heard xie-xie-in and just assumed that it was being used correctly.

Darth_Elu, Sinrebirth and Kurisan like this.
  7. Kurisan

Apr 26, 2016
    Ha yes I think I saw that out-take and Tucker just could not get it right.

You are right Cantonese shares many terms with Mandarin but I am not an expert by any means...

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    Sinrebirth likes this.
  8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    grooves around the globe

I think I’m gonna have to personally visit some of you.

9. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Makes more sense than messing up the luggage carousel that Mary and Nikki are going to see in a few hours. You didn't even specify which airport, as they are flying to San Jose, and then onto New York.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    Sinrebirth likes this.
  10. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Uatu is an aloof one.

Darth_Elu likes this.
  11. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    Looks like Kurisan answered that linguistics question for me. Xiexie again. ;)

And it looks like this brainy, boss type is gonna have to show some around the ropes. :p

12. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    Looks in the mirror:

"Dude, did you really need to create 'two timelines' to manage, as if one wasn't bad enough?" 8-}[face_skull][face_plain]:p

13. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Sooo, I popped back to the beginning of the game, to satisfy my curiousity as to whether I had encountered this Undercity before, although maybe I read it in the first game.

After scrolling the first three screens, I observed something that caught my attention, so have a query: are Psion, Blue, Casey, Tenzin, SGC, and Larry, all operating out of the same Sanctum Santorum? And it just has so many dimensions that the two groups don't realise it?

14. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    No, they are not operating out of the same Sanctum, seeing how the two structures are located in different places. No one group has ownership of the 'phrase' despite its close relationship with the Mystic Masters. Zephyr has a good in-game reason why he calls it that, which I won't spoil here. It was allowed and no one else seemed confused by it, or at least it wasn't mentioned.

Ameteth and Master Vo'Un'Var like this.
  15. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Cheers for the quick response.

That was a neat trick with the Doom Mac guy having lots of buddies nearby, in case my girls had decided to be less than diplomatic about things.

Ameteth and greyjedi125 like this.
  16. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    They'll have plenty of chances to showcase their brand of diplomacy. [face_whistling]:D

Ameteth likes this.
  17. The Jedi in the Pumas

The Jedi in the Pumas Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2018
    God I want another character in this game so bad. But...

I mean I have to be at maximum capacity right now. I think...

18. Ameteth

Ameteth Jedi Master star 1

Mar 28, 2009
    @The Jedi in the Pumas in my own mind, I created an 'npc' who is addicted to the Doom Mac and savoring it results in a beatific experience, however one would need to consider his support of a certain tyrannical armor clad monarch as possible bias, lol! "...but still yummy!" :D

19. Kurisan

Apr 26, 2016
    @Darth_Elu I have some questions about how Gemini's interesting cloning ability works. Better here or on PM?

Darth_Elu likes this.
  20. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    Either or works, whichever you prefer. Let me know exactly what it is you wish to know. :)

Kurisan likes this.
  21. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    @Darth_Elu, @Kurisan

I'd wager in PM form would be best, since that is a player to player decision. Aside from simply stating an ability, story-wise, such details are ideally discovered in-game, but sharing in RL is a fine choice as well. [face_peace]

Darth_Elu and Kurisan like this.
  22. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    @Sith-I-5 [face_laugh]

Haha! Liz!! I actually said 'roll' for bluff and eyed my D20!! Haha!! Resurgence had a 2D6 dice system, which the boards no longer supports. Too bad.
    I would have liked to see her make that roll 'just for kicks'. Well played, Liz. Well played.:)

I'm also enjoying the npc star wars reference, nice touch.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    Ameteth likes this.
  23. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    In hindsight, this was kinda humbling.

As a writer, I have to accept that certain things will "pop" for readers providing they have indulged in the same things as me: Star Wars, The Mentalist, Archer, and it is all too easy to forget about the struggles of those who maybe don't share my tastes.

For five minutes, I'm re-reading "roll to bluff" with no idea what the **** you were on about. :confused:

greyjedi125 likes this.
  24. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    I know what you mean. That was a 'D&D/ Table Top RPG/ D20' ( one 20 sided die ) reference. I forget not everyone is familiar with table top RPGs and dice rolls. Meh. :p

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  25. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    "Also, I did not anticipate that this was an episode of Doctor Who, and that you would have a gun in your hand like an Auton."

Sinrebirth and greyjedi125 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.