main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars: Age of Resistance

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, May 23, 2019.

1. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Just means if he had Luke
    he would've ruled the galaxy currently, but he had Kylo instead so he didnt rule it . It was meant to mess with Kylo's head which the other dialogue does as did his dialogue in TLJ. The films and the novelization of TLJ tells us that Snoke is basically a parallel evil Dark Sider similar to Sidious - since they share the same ambitions. TLJ tells us that Snoke usurped the Emperor's Contingency for himself and filled the power vacuum and wiped out or pushed out Imperial rivals like Sloane and such with great speed and efficiency.

Turned out that Snoke underestimated both Kylo and Luke in TLJ. He ends up dying like the Emperor did in ROTJ, betrayed by his apprentice.

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The Poe issue was okay of course we had read a lot of stuff like this in the Poe Dameron comic but interesting to see his New Republic days, although I kept wondering if this would contradict Before the Awakening (the book where my sig comes from). And I was either on the fence if it was Leia or Han on the other end of the line so Holdo was an interesting choice that actually worked. The Resistance Special felt more like an OT special than Resistance era special. Hux issue was great cuz nasty Hux is the best Hux and he was real damn nasty in this one. (and he managed to call unmasked Kylo "Ben" and get away with it) Still reminds me that I really should read Phasma to finish off the Hux/Hux Sr. story. Also I had a vague feeling the old guy in the Hux issue was going to be Canon Wilford Brimley but alas...

Oh and I got the Hux Pre-production art variant cover, it was neat!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  3. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Ok, this looks amazing. Only been paying attention passively since the Age of Republci arc ended but I'm definitely getting this one.

4. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I got a friend who thinks Snoke is sorta like a Anti-Yoda character (Which this comic kinda supports)....Which is cool, but isn't that what the Emperor is supposed to be?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2019
    comradepitrovsky likes this.
  5. Noir Deux

Noir Deux Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 27, 2015
    If I’m not wrong it is stated in the TLJ novel that Snoke and Luke have connected ‘before’ while Luke was trying to establish his new order, maybe not physically but they knew each other and Snoke was hiding his intentions but grew aware of the treat that the new order would be so he brainwashed Kylo and was until later that Luke found out that it was Snoke all along...

6. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Snoke went through a personality switch in TFA and TLJ. In the first movie, he was nurturing and fatherly which at least was a contrast to Palpatine.

7. FS26

FS26 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 8, 2018
    Nurturing?:confused:

8. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Yes, didn't you her Snoke reassuring Kylo Ren with reverse psychology about killing his father?

"Ooo, this is a pretty hard test. Are you sure you're up for it? No one would say badly if you weren't."

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  9. Wrinty

Wrinty Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 8, 2007
    Not really a personality change, he was just pissed that he lost SKB and Kylo lost to Rey.

10. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Concerning the Snoke art: I thought he'd be taller.

As for the Poe comic, it was a decent story.
    Ultimately, you're trying to figure out who he's talking to, so I guess I kind of liked the reveal at the end. If I cared, I'd probably put more thought into this, but I guess this maybe Poe's first push/test before leaving the Republic and joining the Resistance.

11. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Yeah,

Snoke in TFA is Palpatine in Empire....But strangely with a bit more to him.

Snoke in TLJ is Palpatine in Jedi: Funny-angry-always laughing cackling over the top evil....Till he's dead ;p

Though I do hope that EU material will be able to give him more....what separates him from the Emperor in terms of philosophy and tactic.

12. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    This is all very exciting! Even if the other things I'm most interested about Snoke are his origins and interactions with other members of the First Order, both unlikely to being portrayed in this issue, there is still much amazing potential for Snoke point of views and philosophies, which are character defining. Its so welcomed to get to see more about him, and in his role of master, no less!

Jarrus likes this.
  13. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Hopefully we are taking our first steps into a larger Snoke world.

14. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Snoke Comic out today

Boy does it looks like it’s something

15. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    It's unfortunate but it's basically Kylo Ren's comic not Snoke's.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  16. Wrinty

Wrinty Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 8, 2007
    Another fantastic issue. Ben fans will be pleased.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  17. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  18. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Sadly, I was a bit underwhelmed here. The Snoke comic is more an examination of Kylo Ren's sunken-cost fallacy where he believes that his family accepting him back as well as Luke being sorry for his actions is a weakness to defeat. Snoke plays on his fears and encourages him to reject these doubts even though he's every bit right to. It's not a bad comic but doesn't add any real insight to Snoke or even Kylo Ren since his "kill the past" mantra was thoroughly explored in TLJ.

3/5

19. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    In todays Snoke issue...
    It really stood out to me how several panels fokus on his ring!

I liked him training Kylo, and deepening his mysterious past with Luke, his respect and fear for him as well as his ambitions back then and how he possibly learned of Dagobah. If Luke revealed Dagobah to him he must really have been close to him!

Also funny how Snoke senses Kylo igniting his saber and striking, yet he did not strike at his parents. Shows how flawed Snokes sense is and that he cannot really see what Kylo does, like shortly before his demise in TLJ.

Regarding Dagobah and the buried/overgrown Tree Cave Temple building...

I loved that he said it was there for over 1000 years. Reinforces the fact that its not just a recent creation as some previously assumed with Bphassi Dark Jedi death or else in some Legends backstories.

Most seem to forget that it was not just a cave but actually a burried overgrown temple. TESB setdesigns had stair-steps downwards as well as angular doorways clearly visible and in concept art even more so. So this over 1000 year old temple needs to be explored more. When was it build, by who, why? Is it maybe as old as the Lothal one and tied to the Mortis folks or Priestesses? Would make sense to me.

Pity Kylo had to destroy the entire thing!

20. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I actually found Snokes reaction to Kylo destroying the temple fairly amusing. "I wanted to take other apprentices there" indeed.

21. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Concerning the Snoke issue...
    It felt like a fast read since the preview kind of spoiled where they were going and we got the last half before the first half. The first half was kind of like a cold open which set up the last half very well. I agree that while it was nice to get some Snoke, it was more of a Kylo Ren focused issue, but that didn't bother me. Everything that happened in this issue made sense to me and tracks with what we've seen in the movies.

He holds a grudge against Luke, his uncle, which totally makes sense based on what we know from TLJ. Imagine waking up to seeing someone you respected and probably loved, about to kill you. It's definitely gotta mess with your head. But he still wasn't able to kill his parents and as we know, even after killing his father in TFA, it didn't make him stronger like he thought it would.

Anyone know what planet Snoke and Kylo start on? Is it brand new or had it appeared before? Are those Kyber crystals?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  22. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    I think it tracks a bit too closely to what we've already seen. It's great that it's using some ideas from TLJ (particularly that Snoke consistently only senses Kylo's surface decisions, not his true feelings, which comes back to bite him) and all of Kylo's inner conflicts are well represented, but it's not doing anything new with them aside from reinforcing them. It'd have been nice to get some new insight -- I suppose the only real development here is the destruction of the cave.

The planet's new; the Rarlech system hasn't appeared in anything before.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  23. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Another random thought I just had concerning the Snoke issue
    While Luke failed in the cave, I would say initially also Kylo failed, but then succeeded when he didn't destroy his parents (if you're looking at the lightside POV) so destroying the cave made sense to me as it was the only way Kylo could hide his failure (from the darkside POV). Will the destruction of the cave have any effect on future stories? Probably not, but we'll see.

I did like that Kylo could sense Luke there. Made me think of how Leia could sense Maul on Naboo. It made me think of Harry Potter and Dumbledore saying how magic leaves traces and it feels like the Force is very similar.

24. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Snoke was a disappointing comic.

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  25. unlimitedpower

unlimitedpower Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2014
    "You won't need other apprentices..."
    "...because I will kill you."
    [face_laugh]