main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars: Agent of the Empire; new series by John Ostrander

Discussion in 'Literature' started by xoubara, Mar 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    It sounds like a challange but honestly, should the lines between good and evil is SW be utterly distinguishable at this point? If there is one thing this 21st century has taught me, it's good and evil are very blurry.

And we'll always have Del Rey to simplify stuff for us. I like my DH edgy. No risk, no reward.

2. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I anticipate this doing very much the opposite of Legacy.

In Legacy, we had a Jedi hero is most not the cliché Jedi hero.

In AotE, I expect we will have an evil spy who is not the cliché evil spy.

Nearly all of JO's characters are stereotype breakers. Maybe most Imperial goons fall into the Isard and Pestage mould, but not all Imperials are evil monsters -- see Crix Madine or Soontir Fel.

Or even a certain Lieutenant Han Solo.

3. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Not to mention Tycho Celchu, Hobbie Klivian, Biggs Darklighter, even Gilad Pellaeon...

(and cough Mara Jade)

4. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I wouldn't exactly call those characters stereotype breakers. Every last one of them defects from the Empire (or in Pellaeon's case, reforms the Empire, folds it into the GA, and becomes a GA character, which is narratively the functional equivalent). Perpetuating the stereotype. All the "good Imperials" with any narrative weight defect. Teren Rogriss. Ranulf Trommer. Nova Stihl. The Hand of Justice. Pter Thanas. Sair Yonka. Sixtus Quin. Brenn Tantor, Dellis Tantor, and Beri Tulon. Even your Voss Parcks and Dagon Nirizes and competent TTT/HOT supporting cast end up in kinder-and-gentler versions of the Empire, which isn't the same thing, narratively, as being characters who are just loyalists to Palpatine's Empire and also good people.

The only "good" character from the Empire (not the Imperial Remnant or Fel Empire) who hasn't defected yet, that I can think of, is Sunber. And he's fake-defected and started to have doubts, and become less and less good the longer he's held onto his Imperial loyalty, so he's not exactly a sterling example. And arguably Kir Kanos, but he left the Empire because he was too Imperial for the Empire, and then started working with the NR and having doubts, so he's not exactly a clear-cut case. The only real "good Imperials" you actually get are the occasional half-glimpsed decent-bloke-low-in-the-bureaucracy tertiary supporting characters.

Which is why I'm a bit skeptical that we're going to get a "good Imperial" character here who never leaves the Empire or starts to work against it.

5. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    Now's a good a time as any.

6. LordDarthPaxis

LordDarthPaxis Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 23, 2010
    Well there's Grand Admiral Osvald Teshik (my personal favourite character), Tan Maarek Stele and to a lesser extent Xamuel Lennox.

7. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Ah, Stele. Though he does end up with the Remnant, and is thinking of leaving the Empire before Fel pulls him in . . . he's a pretty good example of a good Imperial. Teshik and Lennox are decent examples, but again, they're D-list supporting characters. They're not actually major characters in anything.

For actual protagonists, I did realize that we have the characters of What Sin Loyalty -- TK-622 and Akobi. They're pretty much perfect good Imperials. And General Ziering in To the Last Man. So Empire managed to fit in a handful in one-off situations, and they all died right away.

8. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I'm hoping for a loyal Imperial with a moral code of some sort. He/she needn't be a good guy in all regards.

Look at John's last main character, Cade Skywalker. He wasn't a good guy in a pure sense, yet his story was still fairly compelling, with him just being him. Something like that would be fine with me.

9. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    That's basically what I was getting at yesterday, yeah.

Cade is a Jedi hero but he's far from your average Luke or Qui-Gon.

So by a similar token, I'm anticipating AotE's protagonist to be an Imperial agent who isn't your typical Imperial agent.

Think of the GCW equivalent of a player choosing the light side options in TOR's Agent storyline. You won't be able to change factions in TOR, but you'll be able to champion what you see as the noble, benevolent virtues of the Sith Empire. I'm kinda expecting a similar thing here, with the lead character doing for Imperial Intelligence what Cade did for the Jedi Order, i.e. showed not everyone is a WOTC archetypical stereotype.

10. Mazzic

Mazzic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2000
    I'm really excited about this. I love Imperial-themed Empire stories, and always wanted to learn more about the Imperial agents, spies, and undercover guys!

On a related note...I hope Mara makes an appearance! :p

11. Skywalker2B

Skywalker2B Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 8, 2000
    You read my mind! I was just thinking that as I read through the thread! Ha!

12. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    What I'm really hoping to see is some of the less well known parts of Imperial Intelligence.

For example, I'd love to see COMPNOR and the Imperial Security Bureau, simply to explore the rivalry between them and Imperial Intelligence. It'd also be fun to see this new agent being ordered around by some shadowy operative who we initially knew nothing about (think the representative of the Secret Order of the Emperor in TIE Fighter), and it leading to a crisis where the agent eventually learns how the whole Intelligence Division is a sham, and little more than a front being ruled by the Inquisition as the shadowy dark side puppetmasters whom we so seldom hear about in the EU these days. (It'd be absolutely awesome if we got to see Cronal!)

There's so much creepy stuff to Intelligence that they really have a potential goldmine of unexplored material (at least, unexplored in anything except for ancient WEG stories and things).

13. Bri_Windstar

Bri_Windstar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    I'm not of the mind that everyone in the Empire either has to defect or be truly evil at heart for the sake of fitting into the Empire=enemy viewpoint. The spy could feel that the work he's doing is for a just cause and he's doing his own part for the side he believes in and believes is right, which I admit is in the same vein of Mara's limited background/mindset.

On another note, no one ever said that the main character of the story had to be a hero.

14. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    You've summed up a lot of the reasons I'm looking forward to this.:D

And one thing you mentioned that's particularly interesting -- Cronal. If Blackhole showed up in his old guise once in a while, or even just once, just to hand out some shady orders like he did in the Classic SW comics, that would really be kicking it old school.

15. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    This sums up pretty much everything I want to see really. ISB and II rivalry, Inquisitors, COMPNOR, fall of Armand Isard, rise of Cronal leading to the eventual rise of Ysanne, Emperors Hands, Noghri! It would be awesome if Cross goes on a mission where Vader assigns some Noghri to assist him. There is just so much potential to see on the II side of things.

16. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    By the Force, if this comic features the Inquisitorius, I would be a HAPPY fanboy! [face_praying]

Seriously, though, I've got to agree that this comic is an excellent opportunity to explore some of these shady, lesser-known elements of the Empire, to flesh them out a bit more. For being supposedly the single greatest existential threat in the history of the Galaxy (by dint of Palpatine being the only one who so unbalanced the Force itself that it necessitated a Chosen One), the Empire has some essential parts of its function that are suprisingly underdeveloped. This is a perfect opportunity to rectify that.

Seriously, though- Inquisitors! I would LOVE to see more of them! [face_praying]

17. QuinineVos

QuinineVos Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2005
    Live and Let . . . There Is No Death, Only the Force.

You Only LIve Three or Four Times, Depending on How Much Fans Like You

From Ruusan with Love (and Reformations)

Bactapussy

Quantum of Sullust

Yes! Agreed. CF "Evasive Action" webstrip for great use thereof.

Edit: Actually, maybe just COMPNOR was featured in Evasive Action.

18. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Done right, this could go a long way to showing why we so rarely hear of them. [face_mischief]

In the X-Wing or Commando books, we're following the front line forces, whether up in space or on the ground, so all the creepy work of the ISB or II is behind the scenes, off the record, need to know, and Mr Fel and Mr Skirata, you guys don't need to know. [face_shame_on_you]

It's why I always loved By the Emperor's Hand, as we saw some really humorous scenes with Mara just marching in places and initially being treated like dirt for having no official rank, then just waving her top secret codes around, and everyone suddenly jumping to her every wish. I'd love to see more of that darker side of the Empire... the stuff the average joe, both civilian and in the military alike, never see or hear, other than in hearsay about whether you've heard the rumour about that disused building across the street, where the woman down the road said she heard screams the other night, some say it's a spook house, but the spooks don't really kidnap people and interrogate them, do they, it's just a rumour right? The Jedi are all gone. Their funky old religion is no more. But you say you heard lightsabers coming from inside? Nah. You must be hearing things. Nobody uses lightsaber anymore apart from Vader. I've never heard of this "Inquisition" thing. You must be making it up. It's an urban myth.:rolleyes:

19. Mazzic

Mazzic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2000
    I just can't contain my excitement for this series. I hope we get some kind of cover art, or concept illustrations in advance. I need to go dig up "Shadow Stalker"...I seem to really remember loving that. Or maybe it was just Jix's abs.

20. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Cover art? No way! It's a spy story, dude; the covers should all look like this:

[image=http://images.defensetech.org/archives/images/z01.jpg]

21. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    o_O

:oops:

=D=:D

[face_shame_on_you]

(seriously)

=D=:D

I was also disappointed by the omission of "That's No Moonraker". :p

22. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    CBR interviews Ostrander about AotE

The agent in question, inspired by both James Bond and Jason Bourne, is named Jahan Cross and he works directly for Armand Isard, the Director of Imperial Intelligence.

!!!

23. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I'm calling it now: Death Star plans!

24. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Interesting.

The bit about the galaxy without the Empire meaning chaos reminds me a great deal of WEG's portrayal of Intelligence. In particular, I recall a line from The Far Orbit Project about Intel throwing quiet, professional little fits. The mental image was perfect. I imagine ImpIntel is populated by neat freaks: Type A personalities, but perhaps not as prone to exasperation. Consummate professionals.

ImpIntel, too, was noted to be a bit more reactionary than COMPNOR--the ideological warriors, the totalitarian types, the fascists, those were all associated with COMPNOR and ISB. Intel had more of the old guard: the aristocracy and/or the military establishment. They were constantaly at loggerheads because Intel represented the old republican way of doing things, but simply with a monarchist gloss: they weren't that into the whole reforming the social order bit. They were interested in public order for its own sake: the promotion of an organized society.

25. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    Ooh, maybe we'll get to see Facet and Druth Anamor. [face_thinking]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.