main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

Ahsoka Star Wars: Ahsoka - Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Jul 12, 2023.

1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I am convinced that Ahsoka's outlook on everything has evolved to a philosophy of "What is... is" and so she does not see need to rebuke Sabine for the decision. They simply need to find why the Force "willed" it to happen. That is why her response was not so much brushing aside Sabine's dangerous choice but encouraging her that it resulted in them being exactly where they were meant to be.

The entire launch of this show was accompanied with this endless reminder of Sabine being the latest in a long line of Masters and Apprentices. It is not a coincidence that Ahsoka's worldview has grown to sound remarkably like a fully formed Qui Gon Jinn philosophy.

2. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I think Ahsoka had the whole pirrgul trip to the other galaxy to come to terms with Sabine's decision. To me, her line to Huyang about how Sabine couldn't have chosen any differently was reflective of her coming to peace with Sabine's decision. Accepting it with serenity as a Jedi should.

I also thought that Ahsoka's treatment of Sabine in the finale demonstrated a great deal of compassion and wisdom befitting a Jedi. Sabine is living through the harsh consequences of her decision and doesn't need Ahsoka taking a particularly strident tone with her in my opinion.

In the movies, we have seen how quick to forgive and compassionate to their apprentice and former apprentices Masters can be.

In TPM, when Obi-Wan apologizes for disrespecting Qui-Gon, Qui-Gon doesn't rub his nose in it. He just very gently tells Obi-Wan that Obi-Wan is a much wiser man than him and he foresees Obi-Wan becoming a great Jedi. It's all about reassurance in that moment, not rebuke.

In ROTS, when Anakin apologizes for his arrogance and for not appreciating Obi-Wan's friendship, Obi-Wan likewise is very mild and affirming in his demeanor toward Anakin. Praising Anakin for his strength and wisdom as a Jedi and reminiscing about how he has trained Anakin since Anakin was a small boy. Obi-Wan demonstrates a lot of affection and empathy toward Anakin in that scene.

Personally, I didn't need to see Ahsoka berating Sabine in the final episode any more than I needed to see Yoda and Obi-Wan castigating Anakin for turning to the Dark Side and going on a murderous rampage through the Jedi Temple (etc.) in the last scene of ROTJ.

3. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    That’s definitely how they’re playing it, and I think I’m mostly fine with it, save for how the show could have used much more character drama in the back-half, and therefore might have benefitted either from a different direction on that point, or could have had it debated more between the characters.

Overall, it definitely feels like Filoni is maybe trying to make sure he portrays live action Jedi as more mellow and esoteric than he previously did, which I’m kind of torn on.

rumblewagon likes this.
  4. Force Nexus

Force Nexus Jedi Master star 3

Jun 22, 2022
    The problem is that Sabine's actions will have direct consequences that will cost untold amount of lives. She effectively allowed for another war to happen. Even Thrawn was shocked that she gambled the fate of the Galaxy. And for Ahsoka to reduce it to just a "gamble" that "paid off" was bizarre. Episode 4 effectively portrayed it as a difficult and dire choice that Sabine made. Episode 6 teased that Sabine will have to tell Ezra about how she got to him later, but she never did. She just dodged the question, "it's complicated." The show never addressed the fact that she went with the enemy willingly and that Thrawn will return because of her. Ezra in Ep 8 is all like, "It's time to stop Thrawn, I guess." The fact that his sacrifice was undone and that he specifically asked Sabine to understand his actions and respect them do not seem to bother him at all. There is no problem with Ahsoka forgiving her, per se. But since she wants to train her as a Jedi, she should have told her that acts like these are selfish and lead to the Dark Side, etc etc etc. Instead of nothing at all. She knows that all too well, given what happened to Anakin. Sabine's wrong choice should have been acknowledged. But it wasn't. Sabine was selfish and stupid, and she faced no consequences for her actions. The story lacked any urgency, and just felt like characters going through the motions to end up where they needed to be for the future stories.
    That's because Anakin was already dead, he sacrificed his life to make up for his actions and he redeemed himself, destroying the Emperor and fulfilling the prophecy. Yoda and Obi-Wan weren't all that kind on Anakin before that.

And also, Anakin himself paid immense price for his wrong choice. He was chopped to pieces, burned alive, he lost everyone that he loved, and his remaining life was never-ending agony and suffering, both physical and mental. Sabine got a power-up, and she was smug, as always.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2023
    The Shadow Emperor and Riv_Shiel like this.
  5. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I’m not. I’ve had enough of neurotic people in society, including those running things. Filoni’s approach with the Jedi in Ahsoka was a welcome respite from that.

6. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    I think when Ahsoka says in the last episode that her Master stood for her, even when she was not right, is the key to understand why she acts like she does towards Sabine.
    Also a lot of people complains about Ezra attitude, but as a Jedi what really expected him to do with sabine ? Slap her in the face ?
    Couldn't all be that he had a forsight that he could only return to the main galaxy if Thrawn also did so ? Or simply the fact that he assumed ( as most in the NR) that without Palpatine Tharwn wouldn't be a serious treat ?
    In the end people wanting both Ahsoka or Ezra to shame Sabine because her failures forgets that Jedi can't act in anger , vegeance or deal in absolutes ;)

7. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    No, it's because they are Jedi. There's no point in punishing someone who repents. "An eye for an eye" is BS and the Jedi know that. Justice is not about punishing people, it's about helping them.

This just reads as you looking for reasons to dislike Sabine. She is definitely not smug.

8. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Indeed, I think Sabines performance gets across the sense of guilt from her decision with much more impact than an argument between the two would.

I tend to think its often a weakness in modern shows that they push conflict for its own sake so seeing SW take a more subtle route was nice to see, same as it was in Andor were the lead character is tends to sell drama by more subtle means much of the time.

My guess will be that whatever Baylan is looking for and Ahsoka/Sabines actions with it will turn out to be important enough than its worth the cost of Thrawn escaping.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2023
  9. Reymet_2

Reymet_2 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 27, 2014
    Then why was the Emperor looking so vigorously for the particular portal on Lothal?
    If everyone who is about to die automatically got to the WBW, the whole Star Wars universe would be nothing more than a huge time paradox. Since a substantial number of people surely would try to use the WBW to change their past using hindsight (this is actually what Ezra wanted to do during his journey to the WBW, and if Ahsoka hadn't stopped him, he definitely would try to save Kanan).

For example, I don't see Anakin being in the WBW and not trying to replay the RoTS events.

Watcherwithin likes this.
  10. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    I said that there could be, not that there is.

The WBW clearly behaves differently here from when Ezra entered it. That might be because its behavior depends on what its visitor needs to learn, or because it just functions differently after death.
    Whatever the exact reasons for things are, the WBW is not just one thing. That should be obvious to anyone watching both REBELS and AHSOKA. It's not a time travelling device that you can use however you see fit; it's a mystical plane of existence that, to me, seems to be a sort of mirror of the soul.
    Also, judging by the first lines of dialogue between Ahsoka and Anakin, people tend to forget what went on in their lives when they're dying.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2023
    Bor Mullet likes this.
  11. Reymet_2

Reymet_2 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 27, 2014
    Palpatine in Rebels definitely was thinking that it is...

12. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I'm gonna chalk up Palpatine's use of WBW as one of several contingency plans he explored to prolong his life, but one that ultimately has no bearing on his arc specifically. Narratively, it was just a device for him to try to manipulate Ezra.

rocknroll41 likes this.
  13. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    No kidding...

14. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Ahsoka Pitch meeting

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  15. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jedi Master Frizzy Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    The eyes got boring after a while

cwustudent likes this.
  16. Bibliora

Bibliora Jedi Knight star 3

May 24, 2023
    Agreed. Baylan finding the Mortis temple is scary and exciting. This story line could go so places, and I want to see it. So why haven't they giving the OK to season two.

17. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Obviously the WBW is not just some normal physical location with one entry point. It’s a form of purgatory, and it’s mystical. And so does not obey normal physical rules. This shouldn’t have to be explained.

18. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jan 15, 2018
    I think Mortis is its own dimension like WBW. I like the idea that since its outside space and time, the Mortis gods still lives. Its a timeless loop on Mortis.

rumblewagon likes this.
  19. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 6

Feb 2, 2015
    Mortis seemed to exist as an anomaly within the unknown regions but it was held together by the Father's strength. It was a place where he could contain the powers of his son and daughter, which if either of the two escaped from him it would turn the balance of the Force on its head. When the Father died, Mortis died along with him. I wouldn't expect to see Mortis again.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2023
  20. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jan 15, 2018
    We would see Mortis again in Treverrow draft for episode 9. And the Father explained that they went to this dimension. Mortis still exist like all dimensions.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2023
    rocknroll41 likes this.
  21. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I love this so much! Totally agree with it.

fett 4 likes this.
  22. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    The decision to reveal why Ahsoka ceased Sabine's Jedi training in the last episode is bugging me.
    I wonder if it would be have better just to reveal the reason for the breakup in the very first episode rather than the last.
    Even before the finale, I figured it was because of the Night of a Thousand Tears, but that's because I'm more familiar with the history of the characters.
    For audience members who have zero familiarity with Ahsoka and Sabine, might it have been better to reveal the reason for the breakup in the very first episode?
    This could have easily been done when Ahsoka was talking with Hera. Hera saying something about how hurt Sabine was when Ahsoka walked away from her; and Ahsoka reiterating her dogmatic Jedi belief in preventing anger/hate from driving a student towards the Dark Side.
    I think an early reveal would have better portrayed the tension between Ahsoka and Sabine; and perhaps Sabine's resentment (better illustrating why she's so desperate to find Ezra (someone who's always been loyal to her) to the point where she steals the map and (imo) about to set off on her own to get him.

I kinda understand why Filoni did the reveal in the last episode, to provide more weight to Sabine's decision to stay behind and help Ahsoka fight Morgan.
    Anyhow, water under the bridge, but I wonder if it would have changed the tone throughout.

Sarge likes this.
  23. miDnIghtEr20C

miDnIghtEr20C Jedi Grand Master star 1

Dec 21, 1999
    One of the original Jedi of this site. ;)

edit... sorry for the old bump!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2024
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  24. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Not as old as you :p

25. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    I wonder how old that purrgil that Ahsoka and Huyang travelled with is.

Sarge likes this.