main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars: Dark Droids Horror Event

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Apr 10, 2023.

1. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    https://www.starwars.com/news/swce-2023-marvel
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Good to see Durge back from his extended vacation into the void of space.
    Those the lightsaber training droids from the Vader Castle game? Neat.

3. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    A few solicits from this Marvel.com article:
    STAR WARS #37
    On Sale 8/9
    LOBOT LOST! Something has gone horribly wrong with Lobot, putting the Rebellion at terrible risk! Lando Calrissian will do anything to save his friend, even if it means betraying the Rebels. Will the SCOURGE OF THE DROIDS destroy any chance to cure Lobot, or will he be lost forever?

STAR WARS: DARTH VADER #37
    On Sale 8/16
    CURSE OF THE JEDI! Killer Droids have taken over Darth Vader’s flagship Super Star Destroyer, the Executor! But even with the powerful Kyberite shield, the Dark Lord of the Sith cannot fully control the Force! Will the lessons of Jedi Masters Qui-Gon and Obi-Warn save him from the SCOURGE — or make him a tool for its galactic conquest?

STAR WARS: DOCTOR APHRA #35
    On Sale 8/23
    The Milestone 75th Issue of Doctor Aphra! Something is rotten in the House of Tagge! Sent by Domina Tagge to investigate a series of strange droid malfunctions, Doctor Aphra faces a deadly enemy from the past—a horde of Clone War-Era Prototype Battle Droids designed by Domina herself! Is this sabotage? Betrayal? Or something far, far worse?

STAR WARS: BOUNTY HUNTERS #37
    On Sale 8/30
    The Haunting Secret Mission of Jango Fett! The Bounty Hunters must contend with the looming shadow of the sins of Boba Fett’s father! What is the secret that lurks on the mysterious droid outpost, The Haven? Who is Tarr Kligson and what is his connection to Jango Fett?

4. Kadar Ordo

Kadar Ordo Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 9, 2021
    Unless I'm mistaken, I think this might be a callback to not only Kligson from the old Marvel comics but also his cut backstory from the Essential Guide to Warfare, which established him as one of the people Jango Fett recruited to train the clone troopers.

Man, Marvel's really been drawing from obscure references, from the Tagges to the Charon and now Kligson's Moon. Wild stuff. And I'm all for it.

5. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    Seems like droids' rebellion is going to be quite widespread, that is great, evil (well, more evil) Chopper is legitimately scary. Wonder if this situation is going to undermine the Empire even more after Crimson Dawn's actions.
    If it is going to feature Domina CW flashbacks, that will be just awesome. Also Aphra will continue to work for her even after the Spark Eternal storyline, wonder if the hint from Revelations about them will come true...

Always liked stories about Boba dealing with his father's legacy, so that sounds very promissing.

MercenaryAce and Senpezeco like this.
  6. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    Alright, fess up, who's on vacation from Cybertron without all their Hate Plague shots?

7. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    https://www.starwars.com/news/marvel-dark-droids-d-squad
    StarWars.com: We know that in the overall Dark Droids story, something is corrupting droids across the galaxy. Where does your miniseries come in?

Marc Guggenheim: D-Squad picks up directly after the events of Dark Droids issue 2. Without spoiling that issue, suffice it to say, that the corruption that is affecting droids throughout the galaxy is made apparent to R2-D2 in a very pointed and personal way. We pick up in the aftermath of that development and with Artoo realizing that he’s going to need some help if he’s going to fight back against this menace.

StarWars.com: Fans of Star Wars: The Clone Wars will remember D-Squad from a memorable four-part arc that saw Artoo lead a team of droids. Did you revisit those episodes in preparation for this?

Marc Guggenheim: Absolutely! Rewatching those four episodes was the very first thing I did!

StarWars.com: I always loved the idea of D-Squad and I'm glad to see the concept return. How have you enjoyed writing a droid team, including some members who only speak in bleeps and boops?

Marc Guggenheim: I won’t lie: It’s a challenge to write a comic where almost all your cast speaks an untranslatable language. At the same time, though, that’s part of the fun. In the series, we have entire pages where it’s just droids speaking to each other in binary. Fortunately, we have the perfect artist in Salva Espín. I’ve remarked numerous times to the editors that I’ve never seen a better match of artist and material. In the hands of a lesser artist, the whole story would probably collapse in on itself.

StarWars.com: Dark Droids has been presented as being a horror story. Would you say the same is true of the D-Squad miniseries?

Marc Guggenheim: No, actually. D-Squad is more of a romp. It’s high adventure mixed with as much humor as I could conjure. I approached it like the first Avengers movie, but with droids instead of superheroes.

StarWars.com: The first issue will have a 10-page bonus “The Book of Ajax” story. How does Ajax’s mission in Dark Droids connect to your previous Star Wars work, the recent Han Solo & Chewbacca series?

Marc Guggenheim: “The Book of Ajax” is pretty cool. It pulls together threads from Han Solo & Chewbacca and Star Wars: Revelations and ties them directly into the first issue of Dark Droids. It’s really a character piece about Ajax Sigma, the droid who has been at the heart of my Star Wars work to date and who plays prominently in Dark Droids. The story is an exploration of Ajax’s morality and the difficult balance he has to strike between what he feels he has to do as a revolutionary versus his obligations as a leader. The cherry on top of the sundae is that the story is drawn by my partner on Han & Chewie, David Messina.

StarWars.com: Finally, who's your favorite member of this iteration of D-Squad?

Marc Guggenheim: Is it a cop-out to say Artoo? Yeah, it’s probably a cop-out. But it also has the virtue of being true. I’m just constantly amazed at how vivid Artoo’s voice is as a character, despite the fact he doesn’t ever speak a word of English. But despite that, you know exactly who he is. You know he’s feisty. You know he’s brave. You know he’s got spunk and moxie. It’s a really incredible achievement in storytelling, to be frank.

All that being said, I’ve probably had the most fun writing WAC-47. As a friend of mine from college would say, Wac’s just “such a happy idiot.” Thank the light the galaxy isn’t depending on Wac to save it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

iPodwithnomusic likes this.
  8. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    Wow, I never thought I’d see D-Squad again, this is amazing. But where is Colonel Meebur Gascon? There’s no D-Squad without him!

9. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    "Rom: Spaceknight" crossover confirmed.

Also:
    If we don't get Colonel Gascon riding around in an IG-88 endoskeleton Grogu-style, what even is the point.

10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, they did recently announce a Rom Omnibus.

11. clonegeek

clonegeek Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2022
    Never thought I would get it set during the OT.

12. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Romnibus

Jedi Ben likes this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Well there are a lot of droids so an uprising could be interesting, although I'm also hoping for lots of dopey Battle Droid one-liners.

14. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    I am not a fan of the original TCW arc, but with these members of the team (that are mostly evil) story can be quite interesting.

15. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    @Robimus?

16. Senpezeco

Apr 27, 2014
    Barriss_Coffee and Foreign32567 like this.
  17. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    Just occurred to me that it sounds suspiciously like Warcraft.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  18. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    https://www.starwars.com/news/marvel-star-wars-september-2023-preview
    [​IMG]
    STAR WARS: DARK DROIDS #2 (OF 4)

CHARLES SOULE (W) • LUKE ROSS (A) • Cover by LEINIL FRANCIS YU

VARIANT COVER BY E.M. GIST

ACTION FIGURE VARIANT COVER BY JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER

SCOURGED VARIANT COVER BY RACHAEL STOTT

SCOURGED VIRGIN VARIANT COVER BY RACHAEL STOTT

DROIDS CONNECTING VARIANT COVER BY JOSEMARIA CASANOVAS

• The horror continues as THE SCOURGE begins to execute its grand plan, orchestrating its droid minions across the galaxy.

• It learns more with every passing moment, grows stronger...and is selecting the next targets on its path to total dominion over all mechanical intelligence!

• Standing in its way, only the warrior-priest droid AJAX SIGMA and the sentient droids of the SECOND REVELATION.

[​IMG]
    STAR WARS: DARK DROIDS - D-SQUAD #1 (OF 4)

MARC GUGGENHEIM (W) • SALVA ESPÍN & DAVID MESSINA (A)

Cover by AARON KUDER

VARIANT COVER BY TOM REILLY

VARIANT COVER BY MIKE MCKONE

THE UNSUNG HEROES OF THE CLONE WARS RETURN!

• A terrible scourge is corrupting the galaxy’s droids! To fight this menace, ARTOO-DETOO has to assemble a team of droid heroes: THE D-SQUAD!

• Filled with guest stars from across the galaxy, including a special appearance (and showdown!) by CHOPPER from STAR WARS REBELS.

• PLUS: THE BOOK OF AJAX provides the missing pieces linking REVELATIONS, DARK DROIDS and HAN SOLO & CHEWBACCA – read to see how IT’S ALL CONNECTED.

[​IMG]
    STAR WARS #38

CHARLES SOULE (W) • MADIBEK MUSABEKOV (A) • COVER BY STEPHEN SEGOVIA

RETURN OF THE JEDI 40TH ANNIVERSARY VARIANT COVER BY CHRIS SPROUSE

STAR WARS: CLONE WARS 15TH ANNIVERSARY CODY VARIANT COVER BY E.M. GIST

TATOOINE TREASON! – A DARK DROIDS TIE-IN!

• As the SCOURGE OF THE DROIDS makes its way through the palace of JABBA THE HUTT on Tatooine, LANDO CALRISSIAN is faced with a dire situation as he attempts to save the life of his old friend LOBOT.

• Their salvation is hidden deep within the palace…

• …but will they live long enough to find it?

[​IMG]
    STAR WARS: DARTH VADER #38

GREG PAK (W) • RAFFAELE IENCO (A) • Cover by LEINIL FRANCIS YU

STAR WARS: CLONE WARS 15TH ANNIVERSARY PADMÉ VARIANT COVER BY E.M. GIST

THE SCOURGE COMES FOR THE EXECUTOR! – A DARK DROIDS TIE-IN!

• As DARTH VADER’S Super Star Destroyer flagship faces its deadliest threat ever, the DARK LORD fights the war on two fronts — against a horde of SCOURGED DROIDS...and against the forces of THE EMPIRE itself!

• Featuring a rare glimpse into the true character of ADMIRAL PIETT!

[​IMG]
    STAR WARS: DOCTOR APHRA #36

ALYSSA WONG (W) • MINKYU JUNG (A) • Cover by DERRICK CHEW

STAR WARS: CLONE WARS 15TH ANNIVERSARY AHSOKA VARIANT COVER BY E.M. GIST

STAR WARS: CLONE WARS 15TH ANNIVERSARY AHSOKA VIRGIN VARIANT COVER BY E.M. GIST

VARIANT COVER BY LUCIANO VECCHIO

AMBUSHED! – A DARK DROIDS TIE-IN!

• Trapped in a warehouse full of DEADLY BATTLE DROIDS, DOCTOR APHRA fights for her life!

• But she’s about to come face-to-face with THE ONE ENEMY she never expected to see again!

[​IMG]

STAR WARS: BOUNTY HUNTERS #38

ETHAN SACKS (W) • DAVIDE TINTO (A) • Cover by MARCO CHECCHETTO

GENERAL GRIEVOUS VARIANT COVER BY BJÖRN BARENDS

STAR WARS: CLONE WARS 15TH ANNIVERSARY CAD BANE VARIANT COVER BY E.M. GIST

GRIEVOUS ATTACKS! – A DARK DROIDS TIE-IN!

• ZUCKUSS, 4-LOM and their fellow bounty hunters face a deadly droid ambush!

• VALANCE’s life hangs in the balance!

• What role has GENERAL GRIEVOUS played in the chaos roiling the galaxy?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2023
  19. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    "Warrior-priest droid" sounds very cool.

Not that rare.

Seems like the Scourge may be the CIS project gone wrong.

20. clonegeek

clonegeek Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2022
    The varient cover for Bounty Hunters shows Grievous with the destroied remains of as KX- Securtiy Droid. Curious

21. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
  22. Senpezeco

Apr 27, 2014
    An interview with Charles Soule, via this SW.com article:

From beeping astromechs like R2-D2 to the tiniest of rolling companions like D-0, the trusty droids of Star Wars truly keep the galaxy running. But what happens when you cannot trust any of them? With today’s release of Marvel’s Star Wars: Dark Droids #1, the kickoff of an epic crossover among the publisher’s mainline Star Wars titles, readers will very quickly find out the answer. To celebrate its launch, StarWars.com spoke with writer Charles Soule about this terrifying new tale.
    [​IMG]
    Spoiler warning: This article discusses story details and plot points from Star Wars: Dark Droids #1.

StarWars.com: It has been great to read your previous comic event series, Star Wars: War of the Bounty Hunters, Crimson Reign, and Hidden Empire, stories that really fill out the gaps between the original trilogy movies. What have the challenges of these events been, and how does Dark Droids compare?

Charles Soule: The full “Qi’ra Trilogy” was about threading the needle to create a story that organically felt like it could fit between The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, but also did justice to Qi’ra as a character. On top of that, it needed to weave in the original trilogy characters, as well as people from other eras and mediums — the Knights of Ren from the sequel trilogy, Imara Vex from Star Wars: Hunters, or even Darth Maul.

Beyond that, it had to be cool, too. It was a challenge, definitely, but I loved it. I got to play with so many fun toys and write my own epic Star Wars trilogy.

That being said, Dark Droids is different in almost every way. It’s shorter, for one thing — a five-issue comics event miniseries running from August through December 2023, and tonally, the feel is pretty unique. Droids is a horror-fueled story — it’s legitimately scary, especially based on what we’ve seen before in Star Wars. The idea is that droids are being consumed by a monstrous entity called “the Scourge,” but they don’t reveal themselves right away. Instead, they stay in the spots where they originally were, within the power centers of the galaxy, watching, waiting, hating.

The story ties in with all four of the current Star Wars comics set in this era: Star Wars, Darth Vader, Bounty Hunters, and Doctor Aphra, plus another amazing tie-in miniseries featuring R2-D2 called D-Squad. All the writers and artists seem pretty inspired by the premise and tone — we’re going to get some fabulously creepy stories out of this one.
    [​IMG]
    First look: Star Wars: Dark Droids #4 cover by Leinil Francis Yu.
    StarWars.com: "Horror-fueled" is a rare genre for Star Wars to delve in, but it fits right in with its early inspirations and actors. What inspirations did you draw from for this series?

Charles Soule: Dark Droids draws inspiration from horror masterpieces like Frankenstein, The Thing, and the Evil Dead series, among many more. I often put reference images into my scripts. Usually, they’re things like, “Here’s the specific model of stormtrooper I’d like to use” or “This is what Burryaga’s lightsaber hilt looks like.” For Dark Droids, though, the reference images were key shots from horror films designed to evoke mood or moments — something from Alien, and even things like the music video for Herbie Hancock’s “Rockit.”

I am a big fan of horror across all mediums, and getting a chance to import that into Star Wars has been a fantastic opportunity. Series artist Luke Ross has been doing a spectacular job of bringing the scares to the book — Dark Droids doesn’t look like anything else out there, within Star Wars or without.
    [​IMG]
    StarWars.com: These “dark droids” are seemingly targeting the Force, and Darth Vader, specifically. How does that specific goal bring the story together?

Charles Soule: The Scourge does a lot of nefarious things in the story. He’s possessed by an all-consuming hunger. He must keep eating — minds, really — and is really searching for a way to stop, as strange at that might sound. He’s the sort of monster who knows he’s a monster, and truly doesn’t want to be.

He sees the Force as a way he might be able to become powerful enough to rise above the hunger consuming him. He can only access droids… but droids can’t use the Force. So, as a stopgap, he’s thinking about someone he’s heard of, very powerful in the dark side of the Force, who is, very famously, “more machine than man.”

We’ll see how that goes.
    [​IMG]
    StarWars.com: Ajax Sigma was first introduced in the Star Wars: Revelations one-shot comic. What makes him a compelling character, and how does he fit into this saga?

Charles Soule: Ajax Sigma was introduced as a “droid revolutionary,” not so very different from droids we’ve seen in other Star Wars storytelling who become convinced they are being oppressed by organics and need to rise up, like L3-37 in Solo: A Star Wars Story.

We saw him in the High Republic era as he attempted to liberate droids, and then again later in the Revelations story, written by Marc Guggenheim, where his processing core was found after being lost for many years. When we see him in Dark Droids, he’s become a sort of priest preaching the gospel of the Second Revelation — fostering sparks of truly self-willed and independent droid thought throughout the galaxy. He calls these droids the “Visioned,” and counts himself among them.

So, when the Scourge starts swallowing up droids across the galaxy, absorbing their minds, memories and personalities into its own, Ajax knows it’s time to act. The difference between Ajax’s views on droid sentience and those of the Scourge make them perfect antagonists. Ajax believes Visioned droids should be protected and nurtured. The Scourge believes they should be used as tools. It’s a great setup for a conflict.

StarWars.com: The first issue ends with a familiar face exhibiting signs of, say, contamination, proving no droid is safe. What makes the Scourge particularly scary for the galaxy?

Charles Soule: The Scourge not only won’t stop, he literally can’t. He’s driven by an ancient hunger he can’t understand and can’t deny. At the same time, he gets smarter with every droid he brings into himself, as he takes over the data in their memory banks.

So, you end up with this “evil spirit,” for lack of a better term, working its way into the most secure places in the galaxy, taking the form of some of the most trusted advisors and helpers in the lives of our heroes and villains.

The Star Wars galaxy is built on the backs of droids. It can’t function without them, from astromechs to medical droids. Now, that foundation has been infiltrated by an evil, burrowing, darkness. It’s terrifying.
    [​IMG]
    First look: Star Wars: Dark Droids #4 variant cover by Bjorn Barends.
    StarWars.com: What can fans expect from the rest of the Dark Droids series? Any hints of things you're excited for fans to experience?

Charles Soule: Dark Droids doesn’t shy away from examining the way droids exist in Star Wars, which for me, as a writer of science fiction, is really exciting. We’re reckoning with a moment in the real world where “droid intelligence,” a.k.a. AI, is something we’re being forced to stare at with open eyes. If created sentience can exist, what will we think about it once it arrives? More importantly — and this is the central question of the series — what will it think of us?

By the end, the story touches many parts of the Star Wars universe and draws in all your favorite characters from the era. I’m really glad I got to write something like this as part of my work in the galaxy and can’t wait for the reader to see what I, Luke Ross, and the rest of the team have built.

23. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    Well, that was a promising start, with beautiful art shame that Qi'ra trilogy had only a mediocre one.
    Massacre was brutal, Scourge seems to be an one-dimensional, but effective and efficient threat, even too efficient - regarding finding Rebel fleet so fast. Hope that Threepio will be able to resist and ultimately overcome the control.

24. IG_2000

IG_2000 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Nope, I think Threepio is done for, RIP

25. JediFett10

JediFett10 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 8, 2008
    Excuse me, but why did Qi’ra needed “justice done to her character”…? I honestly don’t get that!!

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk