main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books Star Wars: Padawan by Kiersten White (Kenobi novel)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ColeFardreamer, Oct 7, 2021.

1. ScorpioGirl

ScorpioGirl Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    So....has anyone read the book, yet?

AusStig likes this.
  2. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Would fit well to connect with both obi wans dialogue with yoda in the Empire strikes back, “ So was I if you could remember” when yoda felt he could not teach luke let alone obi wan saying “Was I any different when you taught me?”

All and all if obi wan is a badass punk kid in the novel like a Justin Bieber kind of way.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
  3. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I don't see how it fits and seems kind of irrelevant. It seems like it may have been put in to get buzz which is unnecessary. The people who would buy it buy it regardless and the people who won't will continue to not.

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Read the book already, have you?

5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yep. Just now. This is a fun, quick read that'll last Sinny less than an hour.

There's also some light, smart use of continuity to enhance it.

As to what the eleven-thirty-eight article covers, it is a very subtle and minor part of the book, almost an incidental background detail. Does it work? Yes it does but it is very far from being the main focus. I like it a great deal, it's a neat touch.

The other pieces here work well enough, again with neat linkages to the wider SW world.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
    Iron_lord and Immi Thrax like this.
  6. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    Yea, that's the thing that's a shame. CBR puts out clickbait over 1 scene out of a midsized book and that's all that's talked about. I'll probably pick it up now but I'm kinda backlogged on books (both SW and otherwise) so it will pick it up later this year.

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It's well done, it works, but it's.... 1 page out of 410? And that's being generous.

I love that it's there, it resonates with me but the book is more than it.

8. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    Two questions I wanted ask is does the page implies that obi wan is bisexual and is rumor that the jedi apprentice series connected to this novel?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
    Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You've posted two claims that are total bollocks, just stop.

All this book does is establish very, very clearly that ObiWan cares about everyone he meets. But neither is he that interested in romance in the way others are.

It is subtle. Let me emphasise that in case it didn't go in: Subtle. That singular quality that the Internet neither knows or understands.

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  10. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    Ok I understand and the other question, is this Padawan novel connected to the jedi apprentice series featuring young obi wan?

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    No. Jedi Apprentice was done a long time ago and is Legends material.

12. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Very good book. I enjoyed the story’s lot.

AusStig and Jedi Ben like this.
  13. Lomer2012

Lomer2012 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2016
    A nice little adventure and quite an interesting study of young Obi-Wan's character. The author has a great sense of humor too. I genuinely laughed at some of OW's words and inner monologues.
    BTW, do we have any idea who
    Loegrib's financial benefactor was. The book mentioned that he was going to use the Power to fight the Jedi Order, so he was most likely Palpatine. However, Loegrib wasn't intimidated by him at all, so either Palpatine didn't identify himself as Darth Sidious or he was another player altogether. In any case, it seems like a plot point that will be explored in further stories

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
    Barriss_Coffee and Jedi Ben like this.
  14. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Poor Obi-Wan spends most of the book confused about everything. He finds the idea of kissing anyone....confusing.

15. beskarmando8

beskarmando8 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 9, 2022
    I have. I started it today and finished it today. It was an all-around good book, but I would have liked more Qui-Gon. I enjoyed all the meme references. We got "hello there", "so uncivilized", and "visible confusion".
    I dunno about Palpy. I kinda think he would see it as sacrilegious, but that buisiness with Cylo may suggest otherwise. It would be interesting if it was the Grysks, but I doubt it.
    One must be confused internally to be confused visibly.
    Edit= How could I have forgotten?
    DEX! It was amazing to see him again. Loved it like I loved his appearance in brotherhood.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
    Lomer2012 likes this.
  16. Lomer2012

Lomer2012 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2016
    Yes, exactly, in the Kieron Gillen's Darth Vader series to which you referred, it was Vader who showed reverence to the Force and Sith traditions, while Palpatine was open to every possibility.

17. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Nice little story, read it on Saturday completely with three glasses of whiskey. No, I was not drunk as I am a professional drinker of sorts. Good stuff. For those on the fence, yeah is this story something like Labyrinth of Evil? Where you are going to remember things. Probably not, but it's still good checking out

Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
    Jedi Ben likes this.
  18. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    To emphasise the much hyped about scene, it’s
    an internal monologue about kissing, and he is conscious that Siri was hinting. Fundamentally he’s a teenager of a stiff emotionally stunted organisation and he is in the real world; alone. He had a LOT to figure out.

And the financial backer? With Dooku scuttling around? I’d say it was him.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  19. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Heck, consider in ANH Darth Vader dismissed the Death Star as insignificant next to the power of the force, but Palpatine seemingly invested a lot into it and considered it central to his plans. Palpatine definitely strikes me as a "power is power, no matter where it comes from or how you get it" kind of guy.

20. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Started listening to the audiobook yesterday, and I'm over two hours in already.

Gary Furlong does a great Obi-Wan Kenobi voice, and the story itself does a great job of capturing that sarcastic Obi-Wan Kenobi tone. Plus Obi-Wan's internal musings and conflicts are compelling and fit with that YA quest for identity and self-definition. It makes me quite happy that Siri Tachi exists in the New Canon as well as Legends (I was always a fan of her and her relationship with Obi-Wan in the Jedi Apprentice books by Jude Watson). I am also really enjoying the Easter eggs and connections to the High Republic era. The New Canon is starting to feel very interconnected and fleshed out.

I look forward to seeing where the story goes next. I just thought I'd pop by with some positive words about this story in case anyone is undecided about if it's worth a read! In my opinion, it is:cool:

AusStig, PadmeLeiaJaina and Jedi Ben like this.
  21. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I really enjoyed it.

I'm wondering how it fits with other canon stories of Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon, I can't remember how old Obi-Wan is in Master & Apprentice which left me wondering if this book leads directly into that. I don't think so, given some of the other features of this story about Qui-Gon and his relationship with the Council.

In my head canon, the Qui-Gon story in Stories of the Jedi & Sith is during the events of this book.

I really enjoyed Obi-Wan's struggle to find his place in the Force and the Jedi Order. His struggles with connecting, the roots of that, and his self doubt and fear of disappointing his Master and of losing his Master add so much to his character.

There are a surprising number of lines and passages I felt compelled to highlight in the Kindle edition that I thought were somewhat profound.

22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Padawan is about a year before Master & Apprentice, so a bit of room for their dynamics to evolve.

whostheBossk and Dawud786 like this.
  23. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    This book was remarkably enjoyable. It reminded me of Beth Revis's Rebel Rising, in the sense of a YA book by an author who was willing to get creative and had a plan for how they wanted their young hero to develop. This book actually added more to Obi-Wan's backstory without undermining anything that had been done before, which is quite a feat these days.

Huge kudos to the author for using an almost all-alien cast. Not because it was necessary for the plot, but just because. Also for featuring lesser-known species in major roles, like the Mikkians.

The new characters were likable and the first 2/3 of the plot is a different kind of mystery, mainly focused on unraveling the dark history of a really wacky planet. The last 1/3 is super predictable, but it was far from awful. I agree with @Lomer2012 that there were some genuine lol remarks from Obi-Wan (even Qui-Gon at one key point...)

AusStig likes this.
  24. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Just finished reading it....the one thing I would have issue with is
    How Audj ate that last orb and got Casul out...then Obi Wan uses the small rock like a bullet into Loegrib's head just seems to me like Audj eating the orb was just an excuse for the planet to kick them off it. It could have just had Obi Wan do the rock-bullet thing then have the other kids decide to leave to find the others who left earlier.

whostheBossk and AusStig like this.