main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wash, DC Star Wars - The Force Awakens Midnight Premiere @ Alamo Drafthouse One Loudoun

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Orwick, Dec 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orwick

Orwick Jedi Knight star 1

May 13, 2014
    There has been an awakening...

Have you felt it?

The Fredericksburg Star Wars Club together with the Alamo Drafthouse in Ashburn, VA will be hosting a grand midnight premiere party for Star Wars - The Force Awakens. All the finer details are still being finalized, but please stay tuned to this thread for future updates and more info about reserving your tickets when they are available.

We have big plans and hope that you can be there to make this the ultimate celebration for the release of the first film in the sequel trilogy!

2. Motterman

Motterman Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 22, 2000
    What details can you share about the plans so far? Do you have "buy in" from the theater management and property owner already sorted? Do you have contacts with the 501st, and/or are you planning on maybe doing something for charity, or is this aimed at just showing up at 6pm and seeing the movie at midnight with a bunch of superfans and getting crazy? :cool:

dolphin likes this.
  3. Orwick

May 13, 2014
    My dream was to organize something that I hope will have more gravitas and spectacle than a typical midnight release at a local for Washington DC Metro area fans who want to participate. I'd like this event to ease fans' minds about waiting in line, and the Alamo Drafthouse has reservation system for all seats. However, just because there are reserved seats doesn't prevent celebration of all things Star Wars beforehand. Luckily, Aaron Prescott, the creative manager at the Drafthouse, is also a big Star Wars fan, and has been really helpful and responsive.

Here are a few things I'm actively working on for the premiere party day of December 17:

- 501st Legion Appearance - I'm working with the Nothern VA Garrison coordinator to have the 501st in attendance and keeping them in sync with the latest details.
    - Electronic Arts Game Showcase - I'm hoping to have Electronic Arts showcase their upcoming (maybe released by then) video games; particularly Battlefront at the event. I'm talking with an EA contact now on the details, this is not confirmed yet, but I'm optimistic.
    - Fantasy Flight Games Showcase - Similar to EA, I'd love to have Fantasy Flight there demoing their tabletop offerings like X-Wing, Imperial Assault, and the Star Wars LCG. Similar to EA, this is not confirmed yet, but I'm in contact with the Fantasy Flight Games Event Coordinator and I'm optimistic.
    - Other possibilities I'm trying to secure include Star Wars media personalities and much more.

Perhaps we can see if the Alamo is also willing to host an official line (even if there are reserved seats) for exposure and community outreach. Let me know what you think

4. Orwick

May 13, 2014
    UPDATE:

If you are interested in the midnight premiere event I'm organizing at The Alamo Drafthouse One Loudoun, sign up for updates here: http://awakensdc.splashthat.com/. This will ensure you'll get notice when ticket sales go live.

5. Skuldane

Skuldane Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2014
    Signed up for updates! How is the Alamo theater? Is it gonna satisfy all my High Definition Desires?

6. Orwick

May 13, 2014
    Skuldane, I believe they have Sony 4k digital cinema projectors so it should look very nice.

7. Skuldane

Skuldane Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2014
    Just checking in to see if there are any updates, event still good to go?

dolphin likes this.
  8. Orwick

May 13, 2014
    The event is still good to go! No significant updates yet, but we did reach out to the new Lucasfilm fan relations lead (Pete Vilmur) to let him know about the event and also ask a few questions. We'll see things ramp up quickly towards the fall once things become more firm.

9. Darth Argel

Darth Argel Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2015
    New member and happy to see something is being planned for the big event. I haven't been to that theater since I like the Regal Cinema in Dulles Town Center. But I am familiar with the area since my wife's favorite pizza place, Spinfire, is right next to Alamo. I signed up to the splashthat site and can't wait for more updates. BTW, is the Fredericksburg Star Wars club the closest in northern VA? I live in Chantilly and I was hoping there would be a closer one for fellow fans to meet. I don't mind getting together with people in the area to form a club or do meet and greets. It would be nice to know people who loves the same things that I do.

10. Orwick

May 13, 2014
    Darth Argel, we'll be happy to see you there! There are definitely local groups from the 501st, Rebel Legion, and Mandolorian Mercs that are very active. The DC Area Collector's Club also holds regular meetings from what I understand (http://www.dcswcc.org/). But, from what I've seen, there isn't a general Star Wars fan club covering the entire area. I'm wondering if it would be worth starting an all-purpose fan organization in the area. Perhaps we can revive this area's fan force presence.

11. Darth Argel

May 4, 2015
    Orwick, thanks for the dcswcc link. I will be there on their June 13th in McLean. I missed the one early this month at Dolly Madison. I'd be happy to work with you to see if we can revive a fan force presence in the area.

12. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    Kinda makes me wish I still lived in the DC area! Have a great time folks!

13. Darth Argel

May 4, 2015
    DarthIshyZ - Never too late to move back! :) Plus I'm betting its warmer here when VII comes out compare to where you live.:D

14. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    Darth Angel, thanks, but we actually moved up here to get a real winter. Not to mention that I heard the Orioles / Red Sox game the other day that it was 90 degrees at first pitch. Don't miss those "Red Days" at all! :)

15. Orwick

May 13, 2014
    Its going to be interesting to see how the lines go, especially if we have a cold winter. Please please don't let us have one of those random DC area snowstorms that shuts down everything for a couple of weeks! The weather can just be patient and wait until after Dec 18th.

16. Skuldane

Skuldane Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2014
    I missed out on all this activity! I live like 30-40 from Chantilly myself. Checking out this dcswcc link now...

17. Darth Argel

May 4, 2015
    @Orwick- You and your buddies still going to Star Wars Day @ Nats stadium? Maybe Skuldane might want to come to.

BTW Skuldane, I'll be passing your area today to go to Cooter's Place in Sperryville. Love the General Lee and the show. I will pay homage before America, the country that I served and protected to ensure our basic freedom (enough of my soapbox), kills off one of its pop culture due to a flag on the iconic car's roof.

18. Skuldane

Skuldane Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2014
    Didn't he agree to have the flag removed from the car? And yeah I think the whole thing is ridiculous. Too bad I am working tonight or I would try to make it out as well.

19. Orwick

May 13, 2014
    We may be still be going to the Nats ae but it's up in the air. Most people aren't able to make it that weekend with summer stuff going on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

20. Darth Argel

May 4, 2015
    @Skuldane- No. Ben actually started a change.org campaign about it. It's a tv show. They might as well cancel all civil war movies/shows from reappearing. Heck stop showing Gone With The Wind at that Turner classic station (if its still around). It's gotten too ridiculous and many are based on myths.

21. Darth Argel

May 4, 2015
    @Orwick- Ok my wife and I are planning to go there. I'll PM you when we get the ticket. If you're there, let's meet up.

dolphin likes this.
  22. Orwick

May 13, 2014
    Darth Argel, Cool, I'll let you know if we get tickets.

23. Motterman

Motterman Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 22, 2000
    dolphin likes this.
  24. Orwick

May 13, 2014
    Motterman, thanks for the heads up. According to my POC at the Drafthouse, pre-sale dates are entirely up to the Studio. When we talked to Lucasfilm directly, word was that they are waiting the Marketing Department to release details on when they will allow pre-sales. Looks like things are coming together with Force Friday drawing near and the film releasing in nearly 4 months!

dolphin likes this.
  25. Orwick

May 13, 2014
    A sort of Update! Confirmed with my Alamo Drafthouse POC that there is not yet an official date for ticket sales. Any dates you hear about on the internet are still rumors for now. I'll make sure to update this thread if I hear anything firm about when tickets will be available.

dolphin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.