main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Star Wars: The Force Awakens...reviews

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by w4tkn, Nov 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Momotaros

Momotaros Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2013
    Laughed at Daisy eww reaction. lol

2. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    Literally all he talks about is the PT. Everytime he mentions TFA it's to discuss something negative. Seems true to me

Krueger, beachdude42, Satipo and 5 others like this.
  3. Sgt. Carver

Sgt. Carver Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2015
    I can see myself with Lupita's expression throughout, just not as pretty.

4. Momotaros

Momotaros Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2013
    She looked shell shocked. lol. Boyega reaction was like hell yeah. lol

beachdude42 and Sgt. Carver like this.
  5. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Well he is the Ring Theory guy after all, which is centered around the PT. In a sense, that is what he known for and is what he is an expert in. His Star Wars job so to speak revolves around the PT, so it should be understandable that mostly talks about the PT.

His posts always seem level headed to me. He is not a hater.

6. Danfromumbrella

May 20, 2014
    I see it differently. I could cite examples like him looking into geeorges comments about the movie and saying his thoughts on it "gulp" then posting a ridiculous article about how TFA is showing mixed demand despite heavy promotion compared to the last Star Wars mpvie... Which is beyond ridiculous as well for many reasons. He just seems like anti whatver George isn't hands on.

beachdude42 and Satipo like this.
  7. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Not true. When the TFA trailer came out and the subsequent international one was released he was all over posting screen caps and comparison screen caps from other classic movies and the older SW movies demonstrating how this movie could be part of the ring theory as well...

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

8. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Ring Theory is all well and good until you realise it's actually a demonstration of exactly what's wrong with the PT. It's simply not enough to throw in visual references here and there without grounding them in a coherent and engaging story. Really, what does it matter that the Gungan hiding place kind of recalls the Yavin temple, if we don't even care about the characters?

TFA will also have visual references. It remains to be seen if that's all it has. I eagerly await Klimo's praise of TFA's brilliant use of recurring motifs.

9. Danfromumbrella

May 20, 2014
    I took it as him saying its a rehash. Maybe I took it wrong.

10. Jim Ryalto

Jim Ryalto Jedi Grand Master star 2

Aug 21, 1998

Took a quick look at his twitter. Embarrassing. Definitely one of those PT-first truthers who can't wait to concern troll about The Force Awakens.

11. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    "Concern troll". Got it in one.

The RT score fiddling is particularly embarrassing. "Two totally different mixes of reviewers of two completely different generations tend to review SW films differently. Ergo, ROTS is the best SW movie!!!"

12. DisneylandFan4Life

DisneylandFan4Life Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 14, 2015
    December 14th: Los Angeles World Premiere
    December 15th: Preview Screenings (Disneyland Experience gets to see the movie today. These screenings might be moved up to Monday according to an email today from Disney but I am not 100% if that will end up being true.)
    December 16th: Review Embargo Lifts (Review goes live and will be posted on this thread probably edited into this post)
    December 17th/18th: THE FORCE AWAKENS HITS THEATER FOR THE PUBLIC

This thread is for Star Wars The Force Awakens Reviews. Please feel free to post any Blog Review, Website Reviews or Personal Reviews that you wish. Please do not argue if someone elses opinion does not match your own.

Let's keep it friendly! We are all one with the force! 7-8 sleeps to go! (only 5 sleeps for me!)

=D

We will be posting our review at 12:00AM on Wednesday Dec 16 at youtube.com/DisneylandExperience and will link immediately the video in this thread.

It will be a None Spoiler Review.

We have already completed our review video. No new footage will be in the video. As soon as we get out of the theater on Tuesday December 15th we will record the audio and put it onto the video and Upload the video. 12:00AM December 16th we will publish the video. These times may change if the Embargo for Reviews is lifted early.

Wednesday December 16 12:00AM PST - None Spoiler Review
    Friday December 18 1:00AM PST - Spoiler Review.

13. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    3 days 16 hours 7 mins for me. Seeing it at 00:05 on the 17th. Woooo.

14. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    That's true, you are right... However, even if it were just reviews from the year of release, it would only be a snapshot of judgements at a particular moment in time... and of course those judgements can change given time. In terms of the OT, that passing of time has been favourable to perception... and I'd say that's a combination of them actually aging well (because they are generally 'good'), simple nostalgia and because people are less prone to critique something regarded as 'classic' (you wouldn't believe how many people I've spoken to who think TESB is the "best one", and who clearly have not seem it). It would be interesting to see how the PT would fair now if given a clean sheet. I suspect TPM may fair better and ROTS less so... (and I think much of the perception of the entire PT was based on the initial reaction to TPM), but the bottom line is that reviews/scores mean little without that context.
    :)

15. Danfromumbrella

May 20, 2014
    Although I hate Jar Jar. Phantom would fair better with me now for sure, and ROTS wouldn't as much. So spot on assumption lol

16. thoso1973

thoso1973 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 8, 2015

2 days and some 15 hours to go for me. Ho-ho-ho. :)

17. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Everyone still hates Jar Jar... just like Wicket... ;)

18. Danfromumbrella

May 20, 2014
    Honestly I never got the hate for ewoks. I didn't mind them. I seem to be in the minority with that though.

19. thoso1973

thoso1973 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 8, 2015
    Even Kathleen Kennedy and JJ Abrams hate Jar Jar lol.

Darth Haggai likes this.
  20. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    3 days 4 hours for me!

21. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    Yeah, I definitely have misgivings, but haven't really raised my hand in this regard due to not wanting to be lumped in with the TFA Skeptics party that appears to me to be founded predominantly upon a disingenuous rationale. Of course there are a few thoughtful skeptics here, but they are few, and when this slightly awkward quilting circle goes full rumble I want to be on the right side of history.

My fears:

The rehash potential (for example: Death Star III irks me, with a trench just waiting around innocently--you can almost hear it fake-coughing as a means of drawing attention to itself)

Kylo Ren being effective as a villain--not sold on his distinction from Vader yet. I think I will end up being happy with it, but part of me thinks there just doesn't seem to be a lot about him that interests me. His dialogue so far seems pretty cliched.

Kylo Ren's look. It works. I think it's perfectly cromulent. I do not think it is awesome.

Kylo Ren's sword skills...and this is purely based on the Chinese trailer's extended look at the shot with Ren approaching the nervous, saber-wielding Finn in the nighttime forest. He just looks like kind of a wuss in that shot. We don't see him land the swing, but it looks like someone who hasn't really ever swung a sword. I could be way off-base here, but so far it looks pretty lame.

Rey's look. It sucks. And I hate staffs. They're dull, boring, and they're everywhere. If she has some staff-type lightsaber, I will **** blood. I absolutely loathed Maul's saber and hope there are never again any cute variations on lightsabers in the saga. I have no idea how I eventually warmed up to Kylo's saber but I'm glad it happened.

I could go on but I think you get my point. I have fears.

22. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Darth Maul and his double-bladed lightsaber was the highlight of the movie and brought in one of the best SW characters to date. Another great thing about Maul's lightsaber was that it immediately brought to mind one of the coolest villains Exar Kun. Back then we had a lot of great SW mythology that is sadly lost to "Legends" these days.

I can't judge TFA, but from what I seen on the trailers its very familiar stuff that looks taken from the OT and the EU.

LANDO_ROCKS likes this.
  23. CuppaJoe

CuppaJoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 24, 2002
    What's wrong with Rey's look? She looks like a how a Star Wars character who lives on a desert planet should look. *shrug*. I mean that's like saying Luke's look sucks lol.

As for Kylo's saber fighting style, I think it's pretty badass. Makes him more frightening and unpredictable to me.

Darth Haggai likes this.
  24. beachdude42

beachdude42 Jedi Padawan

Dec 5, 2015
    "I don't like sand..."

Darth Haggai and AaylaLives like this.
  25. Vehgah

Vehgah Jedi Knight star 4

May 8, 2014
    You're not alone.

What I'm concerned about are JJism. Too many modern camera movements and pacing choices. Too much self-awareness.

A marketing campaign that proves overindulgent--one that cares more about surprising people than giving an accurate and sensible picture of what to expect at the theater.

Lucasfilm Story Group--I'm not sure how I feel about a story group dictating the direction of the films.

Hype. . .I thinking that this may be overhyped, and that it may insist upon itself. . .like Peter said of the Godfather.

Seeker Of The Whills likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.