main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books Star Wars The High Republic: Light of the Jedi by Charles Soule

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Captain RX, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
    thank you! I wasn't sure because on the other cover he has a gold saber....

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Are those farthiers on the cover or some other kind of horse-like creature? I also like the dog-like animal.

3. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    @DarthInternous

same question?

4. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    Steelees are the horse-like creature.

Ember (the dog-like creature) is a charhound.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  5. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    We are all the Republic...one man's virus is another man's weapon.
    http://theforce.net/latestnews/story/Interview_Plagueis_Author_James_Luceno_142844.asp

6. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I really want those socks and the pin. Haha. Not so sure I want to buy a second copy of the book though. Nor do I want to cancel my pre-order just to wait for the special edition.

IG: @jedisufism

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Thanks, DI!

8. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
  9. DLCV

DLCV Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 14, 2020
    No spoilers review

ZV-83, brodiew and Ghost like this.
  10. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    I remember seeing an image of the new Del Rey timeline from the beginning of Light of the Jedi. Does anyone have that?

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    There's a free sampler that has it.

In case you can't get that, here it is-
    [​IMG]

12. Rivenblade

Rivenblade Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 21, 2020
    This was a very informative interview. I love the general idea of "We are all the Republic," and I'm ready to have my Star Wars heart filled with joy, hope, and adventure.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    brodiew likes this.
  13. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Hooray! The return of a proper timeline! Still could be better, but getting there.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    Force Smuggler and QuinlanSolo like this.
  14. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    That seems so sparse after looking at the one inside Revan. Hahaha

IG: @jedisufism

Blackhole E Snoke and AusStig like this.
  15. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I didn’t realize I was sent a digital press copy in the mail a few weeks ago so I didn’t have a review on hand, but about halfway through now: it’s awesome. I think you’ll all love it. Very powerful and uplifting in the same way Golden Age/Christopher Reeve Superman Is supposed to inspire others, but in the context of Star Wars.

16. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    Not sure if this has been shared yet.

17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    !? SpeedyHen has just put my copy in the post!

Not sure when it'll get to me, hopefully between Xmas and New Year.

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Ok, let's start this thread really running, as I just finished it.
    • 1999 - The New Jedi Order. Hmm, sounds cool, maybe this'll be an epic tale of the New Republic and the Jedi against a new enemy. Nope.
    • 2015 - The Force Awakens. Maybe this time? Nope, the Jedi were killed off. Again.
    • 2020 - The High Republic. Third time's the charm? Yes, yes it is.
    So, yeah, this is the epic SW story I've been wanting for years and it proves that a number of "rules" aren't always so:
    • Yes, you can have a load of redshirt characters that you end up caring for far more than you expect - before they still get offed.
    • Yes, you can have a significant challenge to your heroes while they have the greater advantage.
    • Yes, you can have intelligence heroes and villains.
    The first part of the book uses a structure of a ticking down clock and different character narratives and then flips between them, it is a very effective technique. While the second and third parts retain it, it's never more effective than at the start.

This book does seed both the younger and YA books by brief mentions at the end. It's smartly done, if you don't look for it you might not even notice it, which may be the point. If this how it's connected-but-all-optional aspect is going to work, they might pull it off. Another unknown aspect - and it's going to stay that way for a good while - is whether the TV show will see audience crossover.

The Republic and Jedi? Both are pretty damn awesome here. Even Senator Noor is a far, far cry from NJO's cast of bastard, suicidally self-interested politicians. Noor is certainly on edge and frustrated by the situation, but can also see the big picture.

The Nihil? Hmm, I'm really not sure how long these guys are going to last. They do feel more like a cat's paw adversary, with the cat clearly being Manchion Ro. I think there is a deliberate hint woven through this book that there's more to be found out, but that's no bad thing either. I do quite like a disunited, fractious bunch of villains.

The opening section is the book's strongest card - the others are good, but the first is great and operates on another level. Part of that is that Soule knows he has to set out what is different about this era, what is special about it, why we should want to read about it and it does that brilliantly. 2020 has been a bastard of a year, the last few years have also been bastards and Soule knows that the way to sell this new era isn't by the expected route of a dark and terrible tragedy. There is tragedy here, there are sad ends, but there is also a crap ton of inspiration and positivity here too and you may well be surprised by how you respond to that.

Onto aesthetics. I'm certain they've done or used a new font for the High Republic, it looks that little bit different to the eye. The cover works very well with the title design and the interiors follow it. This is a very good looking volume and you will not regret buying a physical copy.

Fine, you want a TL: DR version? The book's #*%£$~! awesome, go read it.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  19. IG_2000

Aug 5, 2008
    I think the first half is stronger than the second half, and perhaps there were too many characters introduced that we do not spend enough time with. Lots of things happen “off page” or are just dropped and moved on from too quickly.

Those are my complaints. But overall, the book is very entertaining, feels like Star Wars, and is a good set up for this era.

20. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    I've been noticing that that thread of an actual positive depiction of the Republic and the Jedi and even an inspirationally united galactic population has gotten a lot of mentions in the more recent press on the series. I don't think I've ever even let myself take on board how that would work (isn't there ALWAYS something sinister lurking in the corners?) and I've started to really resonate with the idea... actual positive and uplifting Star Wars, even where the institutions are concerned? That suddenly has great appeal. So... yeah, I just ordered the first three books and I'm really looking forward to them now.

Chrissonofpear2 and Jedi Ben like this.
  21. IG_2000

Aug 5, 2008
    who said there isn’t?

Daneira and Jedi Ben like this.
  22. Bly

Bly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    Wasn't this literally what the NJO turned out to be?

...and didn't we already learn this by way of Allston's X-Wing novels?

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    NJO, for me, was a shadow of what it could have been, politicians with narrow self interest to the point of suicide, indulged villains, paralysed Jedi - vast, vast potential that it tapped 10-20% of and then mostly abandoned. What the Legacy comics did with concepts proved it, the Vong coming to understand the idea of atonement, gaining Jedi backing for their offer, with the Sith taking advantage of it and a vengeful galaxy - that worked well.

Allston's X-Wing books are over 20 years old, plus there's no rule that says just because someone did X at A, that someone else can't do a riff on X at E.

Resistance_Man likes this.
  24. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Just purchased a audible to get High Republic

Honestly once the Bantam Era ended the Post Endor era just goes downhill for me...and even then I only like one thing of Bantam Era books at that's the Thrawn Trilogy.

25. Huncrweo

Huncrweo Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 3, 2020
    Do we know how long it's going to be before Light of the Jedi drops? I've got it pre-ordered on Audible so I'm just waiting now.