main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN Star Wars Trilogy DVD discussion

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Jedi Trace, Apr 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WonderPants

WonderPants Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 6, 2003
    :p @ Tim.

What's the point of downloading the DVD rips when the DVDs are only a day or two away, Rhonda?

Actually I'm really waiting for the Dark Tower 7, and Roland of Gilead's end to his long quest.

2. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I started downloading them on Wednesday! I was trying to have one for this weekend, and plus...I'm impatient! :p

3. Timewalker

Timewalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2004
    Here's the instructions on how to find the Easter Egg - Gag Reel on the 4th disc. If you want to search on your own, don't click on this link.
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews3/starwarstrilogy.html#easteregg

4. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks, Joe. I'm sure Traci and Rhonda will call me and tell me what's on the gag reel since they'll be home watching it and I'll be stuck at work.

5. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Well, I just proved my geekness to the whole world...

Just got back from WalMart with the DVDs.

[face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

I think I need a towel.

[face_blush]

6. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Yay! Me, too!!! Must.Not.Watch.Tonight.

Must.Not.Watch.Tonight....

7. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Too late.

ESB.

Vest...No Vest...Vest...No Vest....

FIXED!!!!!!!

Yeeeehaaaaa!!!

Luke's Girly scream!

FIXED! (Gone!)

Monkey Emperor Dude....

FIXED!!!

The lightsabers look great, too.

The films look and sound great. I wish I could watch them on the TV with the surround sound on, but Traci and the kids are asleep.

8. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    [image=http://users.pandora.be/darthchina/RIP.jpg]

We knew ye well....

:_|

9. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    [face_laugh]

Good riddance, old girl!

OK. I should make myself go to bed now.

10. WonderPants

Mar 6, 2003
    Farewell, Sebastian Shaw as ghost Anakin, we knew you well too.
    And original and best Boba Fett voice.

:_|

11. DarthToddy

DarthToddy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2004
    I'm majorly pissed off at the moment.....my DVD player won't read the disks and I have been watching them on a sub-par DVD program on my computer....so I guess I have to go buy a DVD player that's compatible....what a "F"in rip-off on me :(

John

12. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Got up this am and went straight to the end of ROTJ. [face_blush]

Me: "Look."

Emma: "What?"

Me: "Look!"

Emma: "Um....yeah, mom. It's Anakin. So?"

Thus says the next generation.....

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

NOT that I'm dissin' Sebastian. May he rest in peace. @};- But obviously, this will only be an issue for us old folks. :-B

13. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    I must confess that I'm a little disappointed in the packaging. :(

It's such great cover art! But on such a flimsy box.

14. kellilla

kellilla Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2002
    I'm supposed to be getting mine today... birthday gift from my aunt, I just hope she actually is going to go and get it today so I can have it tonight!

15. Steja_Palex

Steja_Palex Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    I got my DVD set and the Battlefront PS2 game this morning. I'm currently wrapping coins so I can feed my family for the next 4 days. Yeah, I've got my priorities straight, why?

16. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I like the change in Boba's voice. It makes it continuous with the rest of the Saga, especially if Boba is an exact clone of Jango. And the Anakin change doesn't bother me at all, especially now that he doesn't look like he's 80 years old (older than Obi-Wan.)

Anybody noticed any skips or hang-ups in their DVDs? Ours hangs up for a second at the beginning of ESB. I'm debating if I need to exchange the set for another one.

When you get to the scene in ESB where Han rescues Luke on Hoth, is everyone's copy really, really dark? You can't even see Han and Lukes faces on ours. All you see is black shadow. It's almost like the contrast is screwed up or something, and it's all blue and dark. If everyone's is that way, then I'm not going to bother.

You sure you don't have a bad set, John? Rhonda had to exchange her AOTC DVD that she got at Wallyworld when it first came out. A friend of hers had to as well. Maybe it's something about Walmart and the way they ship stuff.

17. WonderPants

Mar 6, 2003
    I like the change in Boba's voice. It makes it continuous with the rest of the Saga, especially if Boba is an exact clone of Jango. And the Anakin change doesn't bother me at all, especially now that he doesn't look like he's 80 years old (older than Obi-Wan.)

But why would Boba sound like Jango? Why can't Lucas make the PT fit with the OT rather than the other way round??? Boba speaks from underneath a helmet, he's (presumably) been wandering the galaxy for 20 odd years, and people don't automatically sound identical to their fathers anyway.
    Spirit Anakin may now look younger than Obi-Wan, but it looks silly to have a kid standing next to Yoda and Obi-Wan, or who even looks younger than Luke for that matter.

Anybody noticed any skips or hang-ups in their DVDs? Ours hangs up for a second at the beginning of ESB. I'm debating if I need to exchange the set for another one.

When you get to the scene in ESB where Han rescues Luke on Hoth, is everyone's copy really, really dark? You can't even see Han and Lukes faces on ours. All you see is black shadow. It's almost like the contrast is screwed up or something, and it's all blue and dark. If everyone's is that way, then I'm not going to bother.

You sure you don't have a bad set, John? Rhonda had to exchange her AOTC DVD that she got at Wallyworld when it first came out. A friend of hers had to as well. Maybe it's something about Walmart and the way they ship stuff.

Actually, there have been a number of comments on the quality control with these DVDs. A lot of people have said they're too dark and that the lightsabre colours are too washed out (Vader's looks pink in screenshots and Luke's a pale green), and even that the music channels to the rear speakers in ANH is flipped.

18. Timewalker

Aug 27, 2004
    For all of us who can handle the changes, I submit one of my favorite web comics strip for today.
    [image=http://www.pvponline.com/archive/2004/pvp20040921.gif]

PvP
    http://www.pvponline.com/

19. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    That is great, Joe! The man has a real point.

Anyway, the OOTs are out there on Malaysian DVD if you really want them, and they're about 20 bucks more on ebay than the new DVD set is. I'll admit that I did buy them since I call myself a collector. I also intend on copying them for all of my fellow fans who can't seem to get over it and move on.

OK.... Back to Star Wars on DVD...

Punches 'Play' on his DVD remote.

20. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    The blooper/gag reel folks....OMG! We laughed until we cried at the dinning room and throne room scenes.

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

21. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    OK, when all of you are done watching your copies, I need to know a few things:

We noticed that in ROTJ, they went heavy on the red in their coloration. Everyone's faces and skin tones are all red in a lot of scenes. I'm wondering if I have a bad copy, but I want to reserve judgement until I get some feedback from everyone. (And, no, the color settings on my TV are just fine.)

Then there's the aforementioned Hoth scene, where you can't see Luke and Han's faces. Everything is really dark.

It seems that all three of our movie discs have a few skips and hang ups during the first 5 or 10 minutes of each movie. Don't know what's going on there.

Unless these problems are wide-spread, I may need to exchange mine for a new set before friday. Holler and let me know if any of you have noticed anything similar.

Oh, and we listened to a lot of the commentary on ROTJ. Can we please make Ben Burtt shut the F up???

22. WonderPants

Mar 6, 2003
    For all of us who can handle the changes, I submit one of my favorite web comics strip for today.

So you're saying we have a problem if we don't uncritically love Lucas's changes?

23. Timewalker

Aug 27, 2004
    So you're saying we have a problem if we don't uncritically love Lucas's changes?

Nooooo... I said for those of us who can handle the changes, not unconditionally love the changes. I myself have complained about Greedo shooting first. I don't like it. I think it destroys his character arc from self-centered rogue to hero. But there's nothing I can do about it except watch my old tapes (and hopefully laser discs if my auctions work out), and enjoy the new versions for their better quality sound and video.

Nothin' personal Ben. It was just a compic strip.

-Joe

24. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    enjoy the new versions for their better quality sound and video.

The sound is awesome! But, I'm kinda hoping that we have an off copy, because the color is really strange in some places. Especially in ROTJ: some of the skin tones are pink/red, Luke's lightsaber is FLOURESCENT GREEN (I mean, I expected Vader to pull out a pair of sunglasses and say, "Whoa, boy, turn that thing down a bit..." [face_laugh]), and Vader's saber is...well....fushia.

The only other thing that "bothered" me was the green flashing lights during the lightsaber clashes in ANH. They're pretty distracting.

I think most of the changes were good, but I started to get the impression that this was a rushed job and some of it was kinda 'phoned-in.' Hopefully, they'll make some adjustments in the Really Special We Mean It This Time Six Movie Set Edition.

25. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Jumpman posted this on the CT boards:

Carl Cunningham posted this at hometheaterforum.com.

"Contrary to widespread belief, they didn't have a whole lot of time to work on this set.

Yes, it's true that Lucas and ILM have been tweaking the films (all of them... prequels included) all this time. But this hasn't been in preparation for a specific DVD release, per se. A lot of it is discussion between Lucas and the teams about what he would like to see changed, fixed, added, etc. Then they will go about animatics and storyboarding where needed.

In the case of this DVD release, there was a specific window of time when Lucas told Jim Ward they would be able to work on it. However, the timeframe was short. Lowry was given only 30 days each to restore the films (and he openly admits that he would have liked more time). And only after the restorations could ILM complete their work. In order to make the September release they couldn't possibly "perfect" each and every thing. That's why we have things like lightsabers with varied colors and such. These aren't oversights. They just didn't get to it.

And I know people will b*tch and moan. But you know what, many of you asked for it. Lucas was content to wait until all of the films were finished to complete them and release them on DVD. But you demanded. Be careful what you wish for, I suppose.

That said. I have every bit of confidence that these things will be fixed once and for all when they are able to spend time on the eventual "Archival" edition.

Of course, that's several years away... so we are "stuck" with these for now.

Personally, I think the set is fine and can live with it. But I understand how anal some can be. Yeesh, some of you people must crap diamonds or something."

Something to think about, especially to those who pleaded with GL to put these films out on DVD now instead of waiting until after Episode III which was the original plan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.