main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Star Wars: Women of the Galaxy

Discussion in 'Literature' started by tatooinesandworm, May 30, 2018.

1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    WHERE ARE YOUR SEPARATIST WOMEN?!?

Like I realize I'm the only one who wrote a Toora & Mai fanfic (never quite finished it... one of my great regrets in life), so maybe I'm a smidgen biased, but there are quite a few Sep gals onscreen. If you know where to look.

2. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    I look at it the exact opposite way: since the list has to be limited to 75, might as well bring attention to lesser-known characters of the new canon than rehash histories of characters that are both well-developed in Legends sources and not relevant to the current narratives of the Star Wars universe.

3. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    I honestly had them both on the bigger list I initially came up with. But they got cut as the same time I cut the handmaidens. I was trying to be realistic with who Lucasfilm would put on the final list of 75. After doing the bigger list, I really wish this book was covering 200 characters.

Jas and Bazine were both a part of the final cut. (I guess it would be second to last as my rough list would still need to be cut as it is over 75)

However, Chanath is on there (mainly because of multiple appearances in both Lando and Darth Vader).

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

Last edited: May 30, 2018
    kalzeth likes this.
  4. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I would say that's probably close to what we'll get. I would swap Dorme with Sabé though. She's the only real significant handmaiden other than maybe Teckla.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  5. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Hmm, interesting. I always thought that Cliegg bought her with the intent to free her, as in he had fallen for her *before* ever purchasing her as a slave. I never thought of the more sinister possibility here, but Watto's dialogue certainly leans that way a bit, doesn't it? Darn it - you just ruined a perfectly romantic backstory for me and made me realize that it is very possibly creepy/problematic. lol.

Definitely looking forward to this book. I showed the news story to my daughter and she is psyched too.

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    That's pretty much how Tatooine Ghost handled it - they met, they liked each other, Cliegg bought her freedom (using goods she'd provided him - a gift from Qui-Gon, sent to her before Qui-Gon died), and then several weeks or months later (they wanted to be certain that what they had together was real and not just her desire for freedom) they married.

7. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    One name I am seeing missing from the lists so far is Isval from the Lords of the Sith book. She was the female lead in that novel so she definitely should be included. Also could potentially give confirmation on rather she was Hera's mom or not.

Edit......'Course just looked it up and Isval was described as having blue skin while Hera's mother in that painting in Rebels of her family had green. So maybe Isval was just someone Cham grew attached to after the mother died/left.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
    revan772 and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  8. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    It will be interesting to see if Uprising gets snubbed. Riley and Deathstick being the two main female characters

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Indeed! And there was also Deathstick's mother, the Nightsister Shellish!

Mia Mesharad, AV-6R7 and kalzeth like this.
  10. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Will be interesting if characters from Uprising will be included. The game was only around for a year and the conversations were text based. I tried to watch it off of youtube but turned it off as soon as I realized there was no voice acting in it.

11. AV-6R7

AV-6R7 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    Shellish showed up in one of the recent FFG books, so anything's possible!

kalzeth likes this.
  12. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    I'm amazed at how little someone who has such a huge chunk of screentime played by someone who went on to be as big a star as the actual Queen has been basically ignored wholesale by LFL's support material. For 20 years.

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yep, I’ll have this book. In hardcover.

14. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    I'm very interested in getting this one too, but I hope there's new lore in it, or at least a nice percentage of in-universe text. I generally don't buy SW books that are grounded in real-life.

kalzeth, tatooinesandworm and AV-6R7 like this.
  15. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Really glad for the choice to go with illustrations; even if they're in different styles, with all of the animated, comic, and book characters, it'll avoid that weird dichotomy of live action, CG and line drawings and be a little more seamless.

Having Legends characters in there would make no sense at all to me; this has a chance to be a canon unifier in a good way due to the above -- putting lit and TV characters on an equal footing with film characters. I'd like to see more guides like it.

I'm also thankful that nobody's in here calling for KK's head and using that loathsome acronym the manbabies love so much. Hope it lasts...

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  16. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    The fact that the book will give an entry to Commodore Agate just makes me so happy. Wonderful to see supporting characters included, even more wonderful to see a book about women in SW written by a wonder woman like Amy! :)

--Adm. Nick

17. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    If they don't at least mention Jaina Solo or Mara Jade, no buy for me.

kalzeth likes this.
  18. AV-6R7

AV-6R7 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    Glad to see this will be covering characters from Solo! Reading through the list made it sink in just how few female characters there were in the OT! Would have loved to see even more character covered. Judging from what art we've seen so far, I'll be needing this in my collection.

19. FiveFireRings

Nov 26, 2017
    And a tease for characters from RESISTANCE... that's heartening on a few levels!

20. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Yeah that's how I always imagined it as well. Like he had already fallen in love with her beforehand and vice versa. And "buying her" was basically just a legal formality (since she was still technically a slave and thus considered property), but he always intended to free her in the end regardless.

21. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    You know, I'm pretty sure that was the intention.
    I mean, I always took it like that, and it wasn't until reading this very thread that I realized some people didn't.

22. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    George's way of treating the characters on Tatooine made me think life there was even harder than we saw in ANH (Luke had a pretty comfy situation compared to his grandmother's era). I don't see a need to change it. Shmi lived a hard life, her husband lived a hard life and became paraplegic, there's multiple tombs on the homestead, it's just a simple, decrepit existence in the middle of galactic nowhere. I personally don't need deep or sympathetic character traits be applied to a character for me to appreciate them.

23. Ventrix

Ventrix Jedi Master star 1

May 28, 2014
    I think we can all agree Old Daka deserves a two-page spread.

Vizzy91 and kalzeth like this.
  24. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I'm sure they'll get a mention. I don't see them getting entries mind you (the book appears to be about canon characters), but both Jaina and Mara are iconic enough that I see them being mentioned in one form or another. I don't think is this necessary to make the book purchasable, but it would be a nice nod.

--Adm. Nick

RaptorMusic and kalzeth like this.
  25. FiveFireRings

Nov 26, 2017
    I'd guess you'll see Legends characters mentioned in an OOU introduction... I can't imagine them having entries (if for no other reason than that, should they be recanonized in some other form, this book will end up looking pretty weird).

RaptorMusic likes this.