main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SW Sideshow Collectibles Discussion Board!

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by PadmeLeiaJaina, Jan 6, 2006.

1. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    [image=http://www.sideshowtoy.com/mas_assets/large/2909.jpg] [image=http://www.sideshowtoy.com/mas_assets/jpg/2104_press06-001.jpg] [image=http://www.sideshowtoy.com/mas_assets/large/7119.jpg]

So we don't have a single thread to talk about Sideshow products so I figured I'd create one :)

Come in here to discuss Sideshow's ever increasing and impressive line of SW products ranging from 1:1 full on busts (Darth Maul and Greedo) to their 1:6 scale statues, to their ever growing line of 12" collectible figures!

Here's a recent article on them from SWshop.com

Sideshow's SW Site!

2. skywalker_1982

skywalker_1982 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 25, 2004
    good idea erika or else we will end up with dolls all over the boards :p

3. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Well I think individual threads are fine for when new figures are released, but at least we can chat about all of the different figures, etc in one thread ;)

I got my Obi-Wan ordered today, missed the exclusive version but I don't care. I got the exclusives of Luke and Anakin.

I have 3 X-Files Sideshow 12" figures and none of them are exclusive versions, I certainly don't feel cheated because I'm missing one tiny accessory :p

I have a feeling that even though this isn't a film year, it's going to hit my wallet hard...thanks to these guys :( ;) :p

4. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    I've already started saving for the Sideshow Grievous, it looks incredible.

5. Jedi_Riibu

Jedi_Riibu Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    I've got all three of the 12" figures on pre-order, too (only exclusive I didn't get was Luke) and I'm really feeling addicted to them. I was also looking forward to this being a non-movie year for budget purposes, but if they keep rolling these things out that might be a moot point. I KNOW I'll buy any Jedi characters and any Padme or Leia dolls, so I guess the real test of this possible addiction will be when a character other than those is released.

6. DarkPrince

DarkPrince Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2005
    Damn, these look awesome. I especially love the Vader one. As per the focus of my collection, I'll be saving up for the Vader doll, looks incredibly detailed. These things are awesome.

7. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    They mentioned in that article above that dark villains are on their way at some point in the future. You know when I saw Obi-Wan was next, I said "can you please release a clone or a Fett or someone that I don't want to buy so I can save some cash?" :p

Characters I would buy:

Any and all Padme and Queen Amidala figures w/ Handmaidens
    Any Leias
    Mara Jade

Jaina, Jacen or Anakin Solo
    Tenel Ka
    EU older versions of Luke, Leia, Han

Old Ben - I passed on all of Hasbro's versions of him and only have a vintage 12" but I would take a Sideshow Old Ben.
    Mace Windu - with their details to robes and costume, his is a must. Hasbro's outfits were just too blah for him, although I do love my snarling AOTC 12" figure of him.
    Aayla Secura - because she'd be too much of a pain to customize to make
    Luminara - needs to go w/ my Barriss Offee
    Kit Fisto
    Ki Mundi

Darth Vader
    Zam Wessel
    Darth Maul
    The Emperor
    TPM Palpatine
    Han Solo
    Lando Calrissian
    Chewbacca
    Biggs Darklighter - Tatooine version ;)

Bleh - there are too many to list out.

So ones that I would probably pass on:

Qui-Gon, I'll probably pass on him since I have the Hasbro Portrait Edition Defense of Naboo Qui-Gon that I LOVE.
    Greedo - Again, I love my Hasbro version, don't need a spiffier version of him - my GG Mini-bust is nice enough.
    Tarkin - I like my Hasbro Version
    Any bounty hunters...and clones...except for Zam
    Count Dooku - again, I love my Hasbro version, I don't really need another unless they do a ROTS version, then I might be tempted.
    Tuskin Raider

My wallet can only take so much :(

8. MissPadme

MissPadme Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    They really are doing an impressive job. I've ordered only the Anakin Skywalker 12" so far...if they ever do a line of Leia and Padmé dolls, my bank account is toast :p.

--MissPadme

9. skywalker_1982

Dec 25, 2004
    They are not the actual dolls they are just the premium format figurines but there will be a vader 12" coming very soon I suppose. It is not really a big loss on the exclusive obi wan as its only a grievous blaster, I would have picked him and anakin up myself but I am sticking to my word rotj 12" dolls only.
    It has just made me think of something that I know they are mainly focused towards collectors but say they did a bikerscout I wonder if they have the rights to say make a speeder bike to go with the doll.

10. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Humm I don't know if they'll offer huge accessories like that...yet. I haven't seen them offer accessories that are larger than any of their figures as of yet. But who knows...if they do, those babies will cost A LOT more than their Hasbro counterparts did.

11. Gul-Dak-Herann

Gul-Dak-Herann Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 12, 2005
    Look at that picture of Leia at the top quickly...looks like she's got a moustache:p

12. skywalker_1982

Dec 25, 2004
    I do like the grievous sideshow statue as I saw the exclusive at comic con with the cape the downside to it I think is the lightsabers look very easy to snap off.

13. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    If they offer a Dooku, or Sidious, I'm going to have to buy them. :)

~Vassago

14. Pancrase

Pancrase Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 12, 2001
    I really like the 12" figures so far. The statues are nice, but they are just too expensive for just 1 character. I already pre-ordered Luke, Anakin, & Obi-Wan. I might cancel the Luke one. I'm still 50/50. Here are the ones I plan on buying if they are released:

Anakin Skywalker (2nd Qtr 2006)
    Obi-Wan Kenobi (2nd Qtr 2006)
    Mace Windu (???)
    Yoda (???)
    Emperor Palpatine (???)
    Jango Fett (???)

Anything else, no matter how cool, I will probably have to pass on.

Plus, they recently announced 12" Lord of the Ring figures too. Talk about a company doing everything possible to kill my wallet. They are releasing the Aragorn one in a few weeks. However, I was really hoping for the King Aragorn outfit. I already have the 18" figures of Aragorn & Gandalf The Grey released by NECA. And the Sideshow Aragorn looks almost identical. For tLOTR, I will buy the following if they release them:

King Aragorn
    Gandalf The White
    Sarumon
    Sauron

If I end up buying all 10 of those figures, then Sideshow has over $600 of my money. I guess it is better then being addicted to alcohol.

15. Jedi_Riibu

Nov 14, 2001
    The LOTR line does look really promising. But I think the only character I would ever actually invest in is Sam.

16. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I bet they'll do a great job on the LOTR line. That doesn't excite me too much, although I might be interested in Eomir and Faramir figures [face_love]

Now if they get Indiana Jones and Harry Potter licenses I might be in deep trouble.

17. Jedi_Riibu

Nov 14, 2001
    I would definitely be in trouble if they got Harry Potter..

18. cronus8

cronus8 Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jun 29, 2002
    Good idea starting this thread. I have all 3 12" on order so far and as much as I would love some of the 1/4 scale I just can't afford them. I think the 12" line is going to be awsome and I hope they throw a few characters I don't want in there or else I will be broke.

19. AT-AT_Commander

AT-AT_Commander Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2001
    Sideshows 12" does look great. Don't know what I'll get due to my wallet size but it looks like it might take a major hit with this and everything else.

20. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    I skipped over Luke but have both Anakin and Obi-wan on order. They look incredible. I just wish they didn't keep the rest of the line so close to the vest. I'd like to know what's on the horizon so I know what I should scoop up and what I should pass on.

I think anything involving armor (Vader, Fetts, Clones) or non-humanoid build (aliens and droids) are out of the running at this time. Not when they can get so much mileage out of a single fully articulated body and a new head sculpt.

21. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Which is just charming considering my favorite thing to collect are human 12" figures :mad:[face_frustrated]

I need to win the lottery in order to keep up with these things [face_money_eyes][face_money_eyes]

22. Meriwyn

Meriwyn Former RSA star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    BEST. Qui-Gon. EVER (love that one)

SSC 12" figures I would like to see:

Any Leia
    Any Padme (preferably picking up the Queen Amidala Portrait Edition that Hasbro dropped the ball on)
    Darth Maul
    Quinlan Vos
    Aayla Secura
    AOTC Obi-Wan (hubba hubba)

What I have on pre-order from SSC:

Darth Maul 1:1 bust
    Princess Leia 1:4 scale (SSC exclusive version)
    12" ROTS Obi-Wan figure (SSC exclusive version)

So far Sideshow has more than exceeded my expectations and have come out with some really good products and amazing likenesses. I hope they continue!

23. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    Any guesses on who the next Jedi will be in the 12" Line? It's got to be humanoid, and something of a main character I would presume. My guesses would be:

Likely:
    Qui-gon Jinn
    Mace Windu
    Ben Kenobi (old Obi-wan and the only OT humanoid Jedi)

Possibly:
    Young Obi-wan (TPM)
    Ki-Adi Mundi
    Aayala Secura

Not Likely (but possible):
    Anakin (AotC)
    Plo Koon
    Saesse Tiin
    Luminara Unduli
    Shaak Ti
    Baris Ofee

While this is just my own list, I'd be rather surprised if we didn't see those first three at some point in the Jedi series.

24. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002

I'd like to see that. The one Hasbro made back in '99 is cool, but the likeness isn't very good. :)

cathiecat likes this.
  25. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I bet the next Jedi will be either Mace Windu or Qui-Gon Jinn.

My luck it'll be Mace since I would happily buy one of him [face_frustrated]