main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Tales of the [Jedi, Empire] series

Discussion in 'Literature' started by RafSwi7, Dec 23, 2021.

1. clonegeek

clonegeek Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 28, 2022
    Tales of the Podracers

Tales of the Wookiees

Tales of the Falcon

AusStig and MercenaryAce like this.
  2. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    More than anything I want Tales of the Separatist.

Or maybe Tales of the Sith. [face_thinking]

3. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jedi Master Frizzy Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Tales of the banking clan

darthzac14 and MercenaryAce like this.
  4. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Tales of the First Order would be useful…though it doesn’t have as catchy of a name.

MercenaryAce and AusStig like this.
  5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I mean neither does empire.

6. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jan 15, 2018
    Empire is catchy,

Ghost likes this.
  7. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Mmmmmmm hard disagree there.

8. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Tales from the Empire flows better imho.

I think what disappoints me with this is that Tales of the Jedi has a lot more potential than Tales of Empire, Underworld etc.

It already has the pedigree of telling tales of ancient Jedi from the Old Republic. TOTJ as a series could pull from every era of Star Wars. Empire is obviously limited. A series about bounty hunters is basically going to stick with Boba, Cad Bane, maybe Ventress. We know that this kind of Dave's bread and butter just sticking within the Skywalker Saga time period.

I'd like to see them come back to Tales of the Jedi to make stories that really expand the universe on screen, depicting different eras. It's the perfect opportunity to adapt the TOTJ comics rather than keep rehashing stories adjacent to The Clone Wars.

Not that I don't want to see Tales of the Rebellion giving us animated Han, Luke and Leia. I do. I also think they need to be more bold and get out of this single period 50-60 years and open up eras hundreds of thousands of years in the past.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2024
  9. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Thinking more, my top five picks are:

-Tales of the Bounty Hunters
    -Tales of the Unknown Regions (Maybe just tales of the Unknown. Characters could be Thrawn and Phasma)
    -Tales of the Rebellion (Or New Republic - Morgan having stories before and after the Empire in tales of the empire shows the titles can be a little chronologically flexible)
    -Tales of the Sepratists
    -Tales of the Underworld (more of a focus on the syndicates compared to the individualist bounty hunters)

But back to tales of the empire proper...the more I think about it, the more it bugs me that I can clearly see three separate stories for Morgan but I can't tell where Barriss' stories begin or end. Makes me wonder if one of her episodes is actually hidden because it is too spoilery on its own. But maybe I am being paranoid and overthinking.

Oh man, could you imagine it actually being about banking in the star wars universe?

Yeah. Similarly, I like the idea of following some separatist characters, but "Tales of the Separatists" just doesn't sound right. Tales of the Confederacy sounds a little better, but canon uses Confederacy of Independent Systems so rarely it might be confusing.

...oh man, you know what would be a great title if nothing else? Tales of the Storm. It would fit the Nihil quite well. Tales of Light and Life would be fitting for the High Republic Jedi and Republic, but it is a bit too long and wordy.

SyndicThrass likes this.
  10. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Plus uh. Confederacy has another context that I don’t think Lucasfilm wants to use more than it needs to

11. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Probably not a popular thought...But I don't think Barriss is going to survive. This might just be a way of saying "here's what happened to her....oh she's dead".

Which I think is a waste.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  12. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    That too.

That is a very popular thought. Looking at the discussion around various websites, it seems most people are speculating that Barriss is going to die at the end of her episodes, namely getting executed by Vader or sent on a suicide mission, with a minority of "she gets killed by Ahoska."

Personally I am around 50-50 on it, and I think if she does die, it will be a "redemption equals death situation."

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Many people seem convinced Vader will gut her. I honestly don’t think Vader will care. Unless she’s like hey your Anakin. Then she’ll get gutted.

no I think she becomes an inquistor and in something else is redeemed via redemption equals death trope.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2024
  14. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jan 15, 2018
    Its just fans putting them inside Anakin/Vader's mind. He wont care. Maybe he push her harder. And i said in Bariss Offee thread i think wexonlt seen hints of two episodes. One episode is the training and one episode is fighting the Jedi. I think they will have her survive like Ahsoka is alive at end of her journey in Tales. We got Dooku and Morgan Elsbeth as the dead characters.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2024
  15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Popular in that we all agree, unpopular in that we all (or most?) don't want it. They don't have many options with her.

I sort of wish they had not revealed what happened to Luminara, because that could have been an interesting unknown factor/plot point here. But they seem to want to make this another character vs Vader story.

16. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Let her hunt down Quinlan Vos post RotS and end up dueling a jealous Ventress brining her in instead for Vader's delight. Vos sneaks back off to Khaleen and the rest is history.

Bonus points if they resurrect some Imperial Commando plotpoints and characters and tie them later into a Bad Batch sequel with older Omega and Talisibeth teaming up with others.

Gesendet von meinem FP3 mit Tapatalk

17. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    I am sick of that...Star Wars seems to have a "The Dark Side made me do it" defense for characters and we are just supposed to believe all is forgiven after they turn away from it whether they die or not. Vader, Kyp Durron, Reva, now maybe Barriss.

Maybe it could be applied to Ventress...but they never seemed to go to full redemption with her...just a pardon for her acts if she helped and while she does have a little more conscience she is still more or a morally ambiguous character.

18. Force Nexus

Force Nexus Jedi Master star 3

Jun 22, 2022
    Ventress was pretty much fully, unambigiously redeemed in Dark Disciple. And she gave her life in a selfless act of sacrifice to save another. That's pretty much the definition of redeemed in Star Wars since Return of the Jedi.

As for Barriss, she won't be killed. Relax, guys. Everyone's been wondering what happened to her for over a decade, and it is too tempting of an opportunity to have her in the next animated series after The Bad Batch, which people speculate to be with Quinlan Vos, Ventress and The Path. I see her making peace with Ahsoka and helping with the Path. And the structure of these "Tales of..." shows works like that: two characters on divergent paths. Morgan Elsbeth commits to the Empire, embraces the Dark Side and dies for it. Barriss will not. Similar to how Count Dooku left the Jedi Order, but committed to the Dark Side, whereas Ahsoka left the Jedi Order and committed to the light.
    From the show's description on StarWars.com:
    Journey into the fearsome Galactic Empire through the eyes of two warriors on divergent paths — Nightsister Morgan Elsbeth and former Jedi Barriss Offee. Like the first season following Ahsoka Tano and Count Dooku, Tales of the Empire focuses on previously untold events in the lives of the featured characters. The trailer teases that we’ll learn how a young Morgan Elsbeth navigates the expanding Imperial world towards a path of vengeance, while former Jedi Barriss Offee does what she must to survive a rapidly changing galaxy. The choices they make will define their destinies.

Dawud786 and Fredrik Vallestrand like this.
  19. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I can't see Barriss fully buying into the Inquisitorious. It's a magnification of the problems she had with the Jedi Order. The Empire is the absolute worst of the Clone Wars Republic.

Similar to Reva, she'll do what she needs to survive but she's not on board with the ideology like most of the rest.

20. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jan 15, 2018
    Yes she only does what she must to survive and leave.

21. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    I wouldn't go that far.. She is still someone who stradles the good/bad barrier...more of a selfish character who will help if she is in the mood like with what happened in Bad Batch.

22. Force Nexus

Force Nexus Jedi Master star 3

Jun 22, 2022
    I don't think so. She fully rejected the Dark Side and she got an epiphany from the Force before her fateful decision to sacrifice her life. Sacrificing one's life for another person is the most selfless thing one can do. Again, all of it was in Dark Disciple:

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Barriss Offee as a hardened survivor not aligned with any particular faction is the most interesting option for her. I would not mind seeing her temporarily paired up with Ventress on a mission in that way.

Ghost, Ventrix, Senpezeco and 6 others like this.
  24. FromDromundKaasWithLove

FromDromundKaasWithLove Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2020
    This. After what they decided to do with Barriss' character, it'd feel like a waste if they try to fit her into a box instead of giving her a character-based morality. If you're going to go that way with a character and then bring them back, commit to it.

My concern is that they'll:
    A. Have Barriss stay a member of the Inquisitors for the entirety or most of her episodes.
    B. Have Barriss' arc end with her "redeemed" or dead and "redeemed" or just dead.
    C. Have Barriss' whole arc be related to the Inquisitors until she walks off into a vague sunrise (to cameo in other series)
    D. Have Barriss' arc relate to Ahsoka (and Darth Vader) instead of focusing on Barriss as a character and providing some much-needed depth (including, perhaps, how she became such a radically different person)

starfish, Senpezeco, Golbolco and 4 others like this.
  25. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    I think Barriss will betray the empire at the end of her arc to have her story contrast with Morgan's story, where we know she stays loyal.