main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Taxation: All I Ever Wanted (now discussing: relative tax burdens)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lowbacca_1977, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah Mike what you're describing is not what I mean nor Lordban means, and is actually what a debilitating tax would be. Since taxes are progressive I would be surprised if that was you. Since we pay more tax than you, I also doubt that's the case.

2. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Hmmmm. OK, so debilitating means you cant pay for basics due to extreme taxation. Fair enough. I still find them high, especially here in NYS where it is NOT uncommon for ones mortgage payment and property tax bill to be dangerously close in monthly outlay. Thats just a bad setup. Its also extremely depressing and horrible to pay your house off only to realize that instead of it being "paid off" you are forced to still throw a huge chunk of money as a "mortgage" payment at it for the rest of your life. Its like, "Congrats Mr. and Mrs middle class people. You've paid off your home! Its now free and clear..... just $650 a month until you die". Sorry but that sucks. Hence, many folks get the hell out of high property tax states come retirement time. Like we will. ;)

Last edited: May 20, 2021
  3. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Apples and oranges.

4. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    anakinfan edit: Removed personal info

As has been said Australians pay more tax than Americans. So basically again, this boils down to:

YES - Mike does not like property taxes
    NO - They're not debilitating.

I'm not doing this to brag, Mike. I'm pretty sure people here know I'm on good coin. I did it to illustrate why I am ok with a high tax rate. More than half my tax dollars go to welfare and health alone. Honestly, I would never want to live somewhere without good social services for everyone.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2021
  5. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The average monthly property payments in New York for a $200,000 home is $1582, according to here - and that includes home insurance payments. Also, the lion's share is on the mortgage, which is not the government... and this naturally is including New York City, with the caveat that people in northern and western New York pay less.
    If you want to pay for housing that is 'dangerously close in monthly outlay', Florida is the place to be. Housing costs - rental or home ownership - is skyrocketing, outpacing wages. Fortunately, Florida is working hard to increase taxes on everyone by passing a consumption tax - in return for cutting unemployment taxes for businesses. Somehow the citizens of Florida are constantly paying more and somehow getting less.
    I'm sure the citizens of Florida will love that someone like you will come down here to live off what the people here pay for and offer nothing in return, other than voting Ron "Trump II" DeSantis back into office.

6. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    And have you considered that maybe you're just "being terrible with money, buying things you cant afford, having bad priorities, not valuing education or understanding that you tend to get out things what you put into them"?

(and does a mod want to update the 'now discussing' part to something about comparative tax burdens or the like?)

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    40% of income on smashed avacado on toast says Mike is very sensible with his money.

8. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Okay, here's what I don't get - if you hate NYS taxes so much and think they're so high, why don't you move now, instead of waiting until you retire in order to do so?

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    See also: "I hate immigrants, coming here to try and get a better life, but I refuse to move to get myself a better life."

10. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Ender, getting in Australian bomber memes that Americans won’t recognise ;)

Ender Sai likes this.
  11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Why spoil the surprise?

DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    OK bomber.

13. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    On here Ender seems pretty reasonable, but every now and again he says something that is Mike levels of cringe for an Australian.

14. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Because Florida is a **** state to work in, and Mike knows it.

Rew and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  15. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I'm sure other states, other than NY and FL, are available?

16. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    There are - there's the bat**** looney states like Idaho, which aren't an option; there's other states with policies similar to New York, like California; and there's the states like Florida, where pay, infrastructure and public services are poor - but the conservative retirement communities are great and have the ears of the state legislature (Republican Governors will often make their big announcements in Florida not in the state capitol, not in the major cities, but in the Villages, a gigantic retirement community in the middle of nowhere that has undue political influence for a group of people that contribute nothing to the state).

Rew likes this.
  17. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Because this is largely about double standards, also why the 'correct' way for people to deal with not liking Florida is to leave Florida, but the 'correct' way for him to not be happy with New York is complain that it needs to cater to his own whims rather than stop complaining and leave if he's that serious about it.

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    TBF, he doesn’t think that those of us who don’t live in Florida should criticize Florida either.
    DeathSantis is supposed to be above criticism, along with the no-see-ums, people who kill the wildlife in the Everglades by adopting Burmese pythons as “exotic pets” and then releasing them, and people who throw alligators through drive thru windows at fast food restaurants.

19. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    No, that's actually an internally consistent position: "I refuse to move to get myself a better life, therefore all those immigrants should also refuse to move to get themselves a better life and stay where they are."

It's a **** position, but at least it's consistent. :p

Last edited: May 21, 2021
  20. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Don't know about you, Mike, but here in Washington state, my property taxes support some government supplied services - public schools (oh, gee - I don't have any kids or grandkids, why do I *have* to support public schools?), parks, fire protection...

Funding is broken down here: https://dor.wa.gov/sites/default/files/legacy/Docs/Pubs/Misc/RevenueAtAGlance.pdf although this link does not specifically address the property tax uses, although came from a link as to how property taxes are used.

21. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Not all of our military activity involves bombing 3rd world countries. I know the military is a favorite target of some people to gut spending for. Last years budget was over 900 billion. Lots of money, no doubt. Let’s say you cut that in HALF and take it down to 500 billion. My links I posted showed that Andrew Yangs $1300 a month plan was going to cost 2.8 TRILLION and that’s also with a big fat 10% VAT shoved onto us. You’re still over 2 trillion short still , roughly. Uh oh. So....

Of course, a classic "success tax" always comes up. 70% over 10 million? Wow. Brutal. That just punishes people and businesses that dared to make it big. And not even that big, really. It’s just confiscation at that point, IMO.

I will agree that loopholes need serious closing. Of course we could do a lot of that with flat taxes or consumption taxes but the left wants nothing to do with such things. We could ditch the IRS in both cases and get rid of the extremely complicated tax code that does favor those hated rich people. The left operates tax concepts on their idea about who should pay what. It always involves punishing success. Not really a good idea as far as I’m concerned.

22. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Once again, QGM argues that the poor should be taxed more than they currently are.

I like the "let's get rid of the federal government's organization for collecting taxes and hope the government just gets tax money somehow with magic" argument here, and that he wants to switch to a tax code that favors rich people even more.

Could a mod get him to address these points in the tax thread? If he wants to disuss taxes, we have a thread for this. He just didn't like that a tax discussion involved math.

23. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    You think high taxes that still allow multi-millionaires to be multi-millionaires are brutal, yet you have no problems with poor people not affording healthcare?

"Wow. Brutal" indeed.

24. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I think I see a couple of places where this contention is coming from. First off is the view of tax as being some sort of punishment. Think of it this way: the better-off the lower-classes, the more people are available to buy your stuff. Secondly, it’s not a retroactive tax. To use your example, you still have your $10M, it’s just a 70% tax on every dollar over $10M. See also the previous point about more people being able to buy your stuff. If more people can buy your stuff, you’re still making a lot of money. Also, do you really need so much more than this theoretical ten million dollars, or do you just want more?

Consider also what can be accomplished with this money. For example, I read that Senator Sanders’ proposed tuition plan could be financed with a 4.3% tax just on Jeff Bezos, and that approximately 30% of Bezos’ wealth would end global hunger. Think about that. One-third of the wealth of one dude could be used to make sure that no one on the planet goes hungry.

Even if those percentages are off, it still indicates the scale of what we could accomplish, but for people being like “but mah munneeeeez!” Heck...really, it’s a bunch of destitute people fighting desperately to hold onto money that they will never have.

Sauntaero, Juliet316 , Rew and 4 others like this.
  25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Generally the cognitive dissonance between "America was the greatest from winning WW2 through the Space Race" and "how did we pay for stuff then" is pretty high.

Man, if you think a 70% tax rate is high, do I have news for you...