main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The “problem” facing Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth Weavile, Jun 3, 2022.

1. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    And there wasn't much to begin with.

2. Fallen Jedi Master

Fallen Jedi Master Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2017
    Man this thread became a joke at the end. It's one of the many reasons I grown to hate politics (right or left) everyone bitches constantly about something and making everything political. Don't like a character your racist or sexist!!!
    Well at the same time as someone who isn't a big fan of the Sequel trilogy i can agree the Fandom Menace can act a bit childishness on Rey in general (Like I wasn't a big fan of Rey either, but you don't see me bitching constantly when she is brought up) and tend to act like Kathleen Kennedy murdered their cat in front of them or something. They take their angry about those movies to the extreme. Like I thought they were bland and could have been done better. I don't think they were complete abominations of nature.
    I find everyone on this argument is acting painfully stupid and why I overtime lose my love for something.

Anyways I don't think you should like everything a corporation gives you. For instance I'm not a fan of the sequel trilogy (not to the extreme of the phantom Menace of course). But at the same time Star Wars under Disney have given me stuff like Rogue One, Fallen Order, Rebels, Kenobi and even The Mandoloran that I love. So it's been both bad and good in my eyes.
    I use to be very into culture war bull****. But lately I think both sides are nuts and I just want good story telling.
    Thank you.
    Edit: sorry if this post comes off harsh. But this is just how I feel when I see threads like this become back and forth arguments about politics instead of talking about storyline and staying on topic. I become sick of politics in recent years for division. I actually don't hate any of the users here and even see both sides of the coin in a werid way.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
  3. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
  4. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    There was a time when I started watching some Fandom Menace videos, not knowing who they were, because I was looking for good criticism of the ST.

Eventually I realized they don’t actually know or care about Star Wars at all. They only pretend to care about Star Wars so they can backdoor their political views into fan discourse. I’m not even saying whether I agreed with any of those views because it’s irrelevant. At the end of the day they’re just plain full of it.

5. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Star Wars films and television (and even literature and video games) feel small and limited at times for some complicated reasons.
    People love Vader, Luke, Han, Stormtroopers, X-Wings, T-Fighters, Leia, C-3PO, R2-D2, Chewie, Lando, Yoda, Obi-Wan, Palpatine, so LFL try not to stray too far from that time period.
    Ironically, Solo bombed at the box office despite relying on a preestablished duo (trio if you count Lando) in the Dark Times (again). The reasons were complicated, though. The film had the behind-the-scenes issues that the public heard somewhat about and went over budget. It also released a mere 5 months after The Last Jedi (financially successful and critically acclaimed but polarizing among SW fans and even more broad audiences).
    Even The Mandalorian takes place 5 years after ROTJ, and there are still Imperial remnants (plus fan favorites).
    LFL has taken a gamble be playing it safe at times, but it would be an even bigger gamble to focus a lot less on the time periods of I-XI.

6. TK-2814

TK-2814 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 20, 2019
    Which is why it's crucial that The Acolyte is successful. It's the first live action project that is far removed from the OT so they can't rely on Stormtroopers and Death Stars. If it all goes well then LFL can release more major shows (and possibly movies) outside of the OT timeframe and also look into eras that aren't reliant on that era's imagery. Hell the lack of an OT crutch and the chance to see multiple Jedi who lives aren't cut short from a foretold massacre is why I care more about The Acolyte over every show LFL has released so far.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2023
  7. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    This actually gets me thinking, is it really possible for anyone to separate out politics from fiction? Just look at Star Wars, with the Rebels versus the Empire. One is a (vaguely defined) pro-democratic group of freedom fighters, the other is a (also vaguely defined) authoritarian regime, and Star Wars takes a clear position on which of these is good and which is bad. That is politics! The EU also went into how the Empire was racist and xenophobic, and states that this is bad. That too, is political. It may be a fairly mainstream and conventional viewpoint, and one that we might agree with, but it is still a political viewpoint. I haven't watched any of Fandom Menace's videos, but if they are what I think they are, then the problem isn't that they're injecting politics into fan discourse, it's that they're injecting bad political views into fan discourse.

8. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    @Alpha-Red oh Star Wars is very political. Lucas has talked a lot about how the Rebels were largely inspired by the Viet Cong, and the fall of the Republic was inspired by countless historical situations with political forces at play that are as relevant as ever today.

As for the Fandom Menace, I just sensed that their concern wasn’t actually for Star Wars, and I realized at least once that the person I was watching didn’t actually know anything at all about Star Wars. That’s my issue with them.