main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The 2019 Box Office Blood World

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Dec 26, 2018.

1. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    I don't think it's any sort of broad, general level franchise fatigue. MiBI is much like the last Ghostbusters and Independence Day sequels in that there just wasn't a lot of demand for those movies without the stars the originals were built on. Namely Will Smith in two of those cases. The number of actors who can still carry a movie like he did in his heyday just isn't very long. And without someone like that any weaknesses in the writing or directing get amplified and audiences just take a pass on catching them in theaters.

As for Shaft I dunno how much demand there was for another of those anyway. I never saw a single TV spot for it either. Oddly enough it's OW audience skewed female and (predictably) older. Updated versions of older blaxploitation properties are just incredibly niche these days.

2. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2003
    I didn't even know there was a new Shaft movie coming out until I read about it and MiBI this weekend. Count me as part of the audience that didn't want either.
    Now if "Toy Story 4" doesn't break records then I'll listen to stories of fatigue, but I think it's going to kill this weekend.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  3. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    To me, Men in Black International and Shaft are just movies that I can wait for home video release. I just don't have enough interest in leaving my house to see these films.

I think nowadays was drives some of the box office is social media, the modern version of "word of mouth." I mean, so much of social media creates "fomo" (fear of missing out), and none of these movies create fomo. That's what the MCU has created with their films; a sense of fomo. I read comments on this message board that some people have not seen Endgame yet because they have yet to see Captain Marvel. They fear they may miss something that might enhance their viewing experience of Endgame.

I'm not really surprised that Dark Phoenix dropped like 70% in its second week in theaters. It's sad that it only made like $9 million over the weekend.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  4. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    back of an airplane seat for me on both those, if at all.

Also, no reviews for the Child's Play remake. I'm getting single digit RT score vibes. Hope I'm wrong for Mark Hamill's sake. Not that he cares necessarily. I care.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Juke Skywalker and Master_Lok like this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    while it seems like quirky counterprograming to put it up against Toy Story the problem is Toy Story is a big four quadrant tentpole movie. Like only devout horror fans would see Child's Play and a chunk of that is already ticked that Brad Dourif isn't doing Chucky anyway.

6. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Obviously, I do not suffer from movie “Fomo”.

I have some catching up to do rental-wise anyway.

7. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Surprised that Endgame will fall so far short of TFA's domestic record, & amazed that it won't match Avatar's WW record. That's despite its huge opening as well as all of its other advantages. 20+ lead-in movies, a massive established fan-base, a decade of ticket price inflation & to top it off a far bigger Chinese market now. AE reaped over $600m from China, Avatar only $200m - yet it retains its crown.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  8. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Suckers and 3-D. And 3-D suckers.

9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    3-D price inflation

10. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Something to keep in mind that made Avatar's run even more amazing: there were more film prints than digital film prints. Back then, digital projectors weren't as numerous as they are now, plus movies were still being shown on regular film vs only digital now. That meant, there were restrictions on how many auditoriums could show Avatar and that limited the number of shows per day (projectionists would have to transport the film from one auditorium to another vs simply uploading the film into a central server and then scheduling accordingly).

11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    they yanked Endgame from China after a month unlike from what I understand Avatar and the Titanic re-release which were going to play for awhile. 50 million more for Endgame is not impossible, though, probably have to run it until after the home video release date to make that though.

Luke02 likes this.
  12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    With August now behind us, effectively marking the end of the first half of the movie release schedule, the worldwide top 10 so far looks like this:

1) Avengers: Endgame - $2.796b
    2) Lion King - $1.570
    3) Captain Marvel -$1.128
    4) Spidey FFH - $1.124
    5) Toy Story 4 - $1.046
    6) Aladdin - $1.045
    7) Wandering Earth - $699.8m
    8) Hobbs & Shaw (aka "Wild Speed: Super Combo" in Japan) - $688.5
    9) Ne Zha - $661.6
    10) How to Train Your Dragon 3 - $519.9

Domestic list goes: EG, LK, TS4, CM, SM FFH, Aladdin, Us, Wick 3, Dragon 3 and H&S.

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'm looking not bad at all on these so far, though looks like The Lion King is going to hold on to a spot in the top-3, if not 2nd...

EDIT: The Secret Life of Pets 2 was my only huge misfire so far (and that was a tentative)... but man that thing tanked comparatively; 50% of the original's take? Yikes...

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  14. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    The only thing that really surprised me this year was that the Lion King didn't make the top 10 all time domestic list. Incredibles 2 is the top performing non Star Wars non Marvel Disney film, with LK second. Not shocking, just mildly surprising. The Lion King seemed like something that couldn't possibly go off the rails in even the mildest way. And it didn't really, but it just seemed like it was poised to make even more money.

Not that it matters. There is not a single original, non sequel non franchise film in the U.S. domestic top 10 list Even Titanic is arguably just a remake of A Night to Remember - a fictionalized account of a historical event based on other fictionalized accounts.

15. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    This may be the wrong thread, but it certainly seems movie-related, soooo....

I watched a Bad Boys trailer earlier today:

I don't see how Will Smith's character can get indignant about fire hydrant damage, when he, the driver of the car, has parked there. His character normally gets sports cars, so unless he installs ejection seats, or Martin Lawrence' character shoots then kicks the windscreen out, I don't see how else he is supposed to get out of the car without opening that door.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  17. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Thank you.

18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    randomly calling It Chapter Two will make 550 million. Maybe 600. Probably not hit the 700 that It did.

I'm still befuddled by that one. The quality of the movie, madcap zany, was pretty much equal to the 1st. There that many ticked Louis CK fans out there?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    June underperformed this year in general- and without a large opening, SLOP2 didn't have enough of a window before TS4 came out.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So Joker killed a couple of records this past weekend with a $93.5m take domestically, beating Venom's $80.25m for the best October opening weekend. When actuals come out today, there is a possibility it may have opened higher than Justice League's $93.8m. It's also the 4th highest R rated opener. Also widest October opener & highest Otc preview gross on thurs. $234m global debut overall.

Meanwhile, Pablo tweeted some estimated ticket sales figures (in millions) for Lucasfilm projects that are interesting:

1. Star Wars (‘77) - 137
    2. Star Wars: The Force Awakens (‘15) - 111
    3. Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (‘99): 85
    4. Return of the Jedi (‘83): 80
    5. The Empire Strikes Back (‘80): 78
    6. Raiders of the Lost Ark (‘81): 76
    7. Star Wars: The Last Jedi (17): 69
    8. American Graffiti (‘73): 65
    9. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (‘16): 62
    10. Star Wars: Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (‘05): 59
    11. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (‘84): 54
    12. Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (‘02): 52
    13. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (‘89): 50
    14. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (‘08): 44
    15. Star Wars: Special Edition (‘97): 30
    16. Solo: A Star Wars Story (‘18): 23
    17. The Empire Strikes Back: Special Edition (‘97): 15
    18. Return of the Jedi: Special Edition (‘97): 10
    19. Willow (‘88): 14
    20. The Land Before Time (‘88): 12
    21. Body Heat (‘81): 9
    22. More American Graffiti (‘79) – 6
    23. Red Tails (‘12): 6
    24. Tucker: A Man and his Dream (‘88): 5
    25. Star Wars: The Clone Wars (‘08): 5
    26. Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace 3D (‘12): 5
    27. Howard the Duck (‘86): 4
    28. Return to Oz (‘85): 3
    29. Kagemusha – The Shadow Warrior (‘80): 2
    30. Strange Magic (‘15): 2
    31. Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones IMAX Experience (‘02): 1
    32. THX 1138 (‘71): 1
    33. Radioland Murders (‘94): .3 (844 theaters)
    34. Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters (‘85): .1 (14 theaters)
    35. Powaqqatsi (‘88): .1 (22 theaters)
    ---- No Data for the following releases:
    36. Twice Upon a Time (83): N/A
    37. Latino (86): N/A
    38. THX 1138: George Lucas Director’s Cut (04): N/A

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    Juliet316 and TiniTinyTony like this.
  21. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I don't see how Disney can ever again come close to its 2019 box office record. The year was so dominant that Frozen 2 and Rise of Skywalker can both flop without losing Disney's market share lead. Neither is going to flop. Together they'll bring Disney close to 40% of the domestic box office.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It'll take a long time, barring some unexpected phenomenon. Possibly the next time a Marvel Saga concludes, allowing the window to open for other Disney franchises, present and future, to again converge on the same year.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    Juliet316 and Rylo Ken like this.
  23. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Just wait until Disney buys up more IPs and markets them as only Disney can

Although I do think Disney+ might have a negative impact on their box office. Not the large event films. I think people will still go to the theater to see the next Avengers and the such. But the movie about Marvel Character X that I really don't care about, but want to see the movie so I understand the Avengers team up film? I'll just wait and see that on the service I'm already paying for - same for things like the Aladdin remake (which I enjoyed - but wouldn't have budgeted the time or money to go to the theater if I could have just waited like six weeks)

Juliet316 and Rylo Ken like this.
  24. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  25. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    I see we’re not talking about the tragedy of Box Office Mojo

Rylo Ken likes this.