main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The 2024 Box Office Blood Replenishment

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Dec 31, 2023.

1. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    As long as Jason stays in the Statham Zone his movies are reliably entertaining. He carved out that niche long before Liam Neeson found it.

2. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015

Yep,this week ANYONE BUT YOU has been leading the daily BO, ahead of Wonka, Aquaman, etc.
    It seems that after the swifties com the sweenyes [face_laugh]

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Finally, a romantic comedy starring beautiful people.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2024
  4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Sweeney's Anyone But You will roll over into Sweeney's Madam Web domination!

nilzo antonio likes this.
  5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It would be kind of funny if studios all hard pivoted to loose Shaxkspere adaptations.

THIS SUMMER
    YOU WILL BELIEVE
    IT’S YET ANOTHER COMEDY WHERE A WOMAN DISGUISES HERSELF AS A MAN AND THE JOKE IS LOST ON MODERN AUDIENCES WHO DON’T USE ALL-MALE CASTING

Count Yubnub likes this.
  6. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    If Anyone But You keeps making the same amount of money every weekend through valentine's day when Madame Web comes out, that would unequivocally make it the Titanic of low rent B list romcoms.

dp4m likes this.
  7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I may or may not be seeing Mean Girls tonight. We're getting snow, and I'm going to Rochester for the three day weekend. I might postpone tickets to next Wednesday, and head home tonight. Yes, I'm typing my anxieties out in the ****ing Box Office thread of all places.

8. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I could still get a movie in tonight. Snow to start around 4 a.m. Friday, then come the 50 mph wind blasts and blizzard conditions through Friday evening.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    But then you get snowed in, forced to watch what may be a bad movie over and over...

[​IMG]

PCCViking and Rylo Ken like this.
  10. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I'm already snowed in. Mean Girls will take a hit along with everything else today.

11. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2024
    Rylo Ken likes this.
  12. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Anyone But You is still going strong with $7.2 million for the 4-day. It's now easily in the black with nearly $80 million worldwide as of tomorrow. It probably would have held up even better but for losing some audience to Mean Girls. Given its trajectory, $100 million seems plausible.

Wonka crossed $500 million, so also comfortably profitable, completing Timothée Chalamet's crossover from indie darling to genuinely bankable movie star as unlikely as it seems/as much as he comes across like a frightened little cartoon character, like a Morty Smith come to life.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2024
    Darth Punk likes this.
  13. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I'm snowed in so I watched The Killer again. It's the perfect snowy day movie. Glacially paced, ice in its veins, chilly exterior, probably other winter related metaphors.

BigAl6ft6 and Rylo Ken like this.
  14. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2024
  15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Colour Purple is on digital now after losing a bunch of screens and money and at 50 million North America it doesn't even have a worldwide release. I loved Poor Things but that's a kaboom, too weird for everyone and unable to understand the afs

16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I haven’t talked to anyone who has watched it. Is it good?

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It actually is. The songs don’t really stick, but they’re pleasant enough and the cast is fun. I wouldn’t be surprised if they take this into a full blown remake of the original as a sequel eventually.

Ghost likes this.
  18. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I haven’t seen it, nor do I want to, and I am completely surprised that it’s making money.

19. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    It was better than I expected as it was entertaining, though when you go home and watch the original as we did, you are just like, "Yeah, it cannot compare." Even our youngest thinks that, and she is seven.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2024
    Rylo Ken likes this.
  20. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    clearly a smart kid. She understands that Willy Wonka is an enigma and was intended to remain an enigma. Filling in the gaps with backstory/prequels has the potential to spoil the mystery and replace entertaining head canon with bad plot points that undermine the stuff you really do love. I'm not thinking of anything in particular here.

21. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2024
    Dagobahsystem and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Figures, the one weekend I'm busy... hopefully i can sneak in a weekday showtime.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  23. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Will definitely be buying Godzilla Minus Zero when it comes out.

24. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Anyone But You is on track to make $100 million worldwide from a $25 million budget. Its success is a harbinger of doom according to Slate https://slate.com/culture/2024/01/movie-anyone-but-you-sydney-sweeney-glen-powell.html

I do agree that studios often do not learn the right lessons from their own successes. And this success is also happening inside the larger context of industry failure so who knows if this can ever be replicated. Anyone But You is definitely the Piranha 3D of romcoms, its main selling point is the R rating and gratuitous nudity, so maybe studios could learn something from the low budget horror model.

25. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Wait, Anyone But You has gratuitous nudity? I-- uh, will be right back.

*footsteps quickly increasing in pace*

*car door slams*

*screeching tires*

Last edited: Jan 21, 2024