main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Games The 26th Jedi Draft - Congratulations to our victor, KenKenobi!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Darth_Furio , Jan 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
  2. Wang Chi

Wang Chi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Thanks for the extra info @KenKenobi

Yeah, Dark Disciple sounds like a must read. Haven't really had any interest in getting into Nu-Canon stuff, but I might pick that one up.

So yeah, if you can't tell, I got a little loopy towards the end there (I actually fell asleep for like an hour and half and had a total senior moment when I woke up). Again, I see where you're coming from, but I guess we have differing points of view on all that experience. I'm seeing too many losses and too many run-aways for me to put her where you're trying to. And some of that stuff (mostly the videogames) I just can't take too seriously. But hey, I'm not a judge, so....

That one that's on the DS, I skimmed through a YouTube walkthrough myself looking for the Plo/Ahsoka stuff, and the scene you're citing for Anakin/Kenobi was actually Anakin/Mace in the vid I watched. I think you can select your characters in that game. Dunno. Kinda strange.

I probably won't be able to post anything tonight. I'll try, but it might have to be tomorrow night.

3. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    Well let me be clear about something-- this isn't about the concept of Asajj as a bubble first-rounder right here. It's about being better than a Vaylin/Joruus C'baoth trump, which she absolutely demonstrably is.

But like...idk what to say to stuff like "I hate giving another L when I haven't actually read it." Literally what's the response to that? It sounds like a bad political Facebook comment lol. And then to actually explain some fights and post images like you asked...but you ignore them anyway? What was the point then?

Or when you try to go off memory to say...

Well, uh:

[​IMG]

Or try to spin something as...

Like...what? Dude she beats him and takes the objective before the clones arrive. This is her overmatched?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And sure "she runs off" at the end...from the literal entire army plus a recovered Skywalker lol

Guess who else runs away similarly? Kenobi from her. Anakin from her. Yoda from Sids. Jacen from Luke. Dooku from everyone.

There are times where they recognize they should dip, and it does not suddenly cancel out the skill or ability they showed against that opponent-- particularly when there's evidence of that skill/ability elsewhere, w/o needing an escape.

And particularly when Kenobi, foremost witness to it, addresses it in Dark Disciple-- calling her a terrifying "righteous angel" when she decides to ignore her survival instinct and say "**** it, let's burn it down."

No, what's embarrassing is asking your opponent for details on a huge list of duels...and then after they provide them-- with painstaking citations-- you still shoot off with something like that. C'est la vie I guess. I really made sure to cite every little thing though, that was not cool man!

Anyway, it's advantageous for Wang to get in the weeds about Asajj's experience if it distracts from her biggest peaks-- where she does best Obi-Wan (Republic #52), she does best Anakin at Kamino, she does best Grievous in Massacre, she does bust the trump of Anakin & Obi-Wan (CWUK #16).

And Wang himself didn't add any sort of qualifiers when talking about her at Sullust last draft:

I agree, and all those things establish her prime as a well-rounded, top-end, trump-buster.

Also, the whole tally-making thing to ding her record...sounds like people who clamor on Twitter about LeBron being 4-6 in the Finals, ignoring what that really says. Being in range (b/c obvs several weren't counted and some were off) of like...8-12-17 against mostly First Rounders? 95% of the board would kill for that. The trump she's facing would kill for that. That was my entire original point about Ventress's experience. To paraphrase God Aaron Rodgers, a down battle for Ventress is a career duel for most guys. (cc @Point Given lol)

But most importantly...this is not a Jordan vs. LeBron debate. Vaylin/Joruus have nothing CLOSE to 6-0 to compare to her 4-6. They don't even have 6 entire duels between them.

Vaylin/Joruus C'baoth are emphatically not even in the same conversation of a trump as Obi-Wan Kenobi/Anakin Skywalker. They're just not. No amount of Comic Vine poetry about Vaylin screaming and blowing up Pookas closes that gap for the duo.

They're also both clinically insane, completely unprepped together, and facing Mega-Ventress at her peak...where she's proven, more than once and without running, that she can take it to peeps with way more talent and way more cohesion.

...and please never say "asses waxed" again, @dp4m isn't in this draft.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [​IMG]

5. Wang Chi

Mar 3, 2013
    Are you under the impression that, because my post came about two hours after yours did, I read your post, decided to ignore it and then started on my own?

Nope. I started my post at around midnight, about an hour after getting home from an eleven hour shift (my 8th in a row of around that length). I wasn't sure if/when you were going to respond, so I got started because I only have so much free time on my hands, knowing some info would be missing. I worked on it off and on while taking care of some chores around the house. I passed out in the chair here sometime around 3 I think. Woke up not knowing where the hell I was for a few seconds and then finished it up.

When I finally hit post, lo and behold, you'd been kind enough to respond. I couldn't take any time to acknowledge it right then and there because I needed (and I absolutely mean needed) to stumble off to bed. I glanced at it for just a bit and was going to go over it in detail when I was more coherent. Which I did earlier this afternoon when I got a bit of a break. And then I thanked you.

Afraid I couldn't take any time to make another argument on my cell phone while at work. Because I have to, you know, work. And I'm not going to do it right now because I'm going to go and get the good night's sleep I didn't get last night the very second I post this.

As I said earlier, I'm going to try for tomorrow. I'll try my best, but I can't promise anything. But I do indeed want to acknowledge and address the stuff you posted, as well as the arg you just made. I also want to get started on my own peeps, because that's pretty critical to the arg, to say the least.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond to my request. It's appreciated.

6. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    lol it's not that deep man, I said c'est la vie. :p

PS I'm not trying to make an arg haha, was just responding to your request (and then hit piece). I don't think "Asajj has beaten Kenobi/Skywalker, she can beat Vaylin/Joruus" is a radical concept, and to me the more fun matchup is Nyriss/Jadus breaking out the secrets of their homeworld. Not every day peeps ping an advantage like that.

But again c'est la vie, or whatever that is in Huttese.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. Wang Chi

Mar 3, 2013
    Whatever you say.

Anyways, while that may be the more fun match for you, I'd like to talk some more about this one. Is that okay? Don't worry. We'll get to the other one. That is, if Furio and the judges are okay continuing to be a patient for a little longer. While it is the Finals and some more slack is likely in order, I also realize that we're rapidly closing in on 10 months for this draft and that some people would probably like to move on. And I'd understand if that's the case.

So tonight I should be able to talk Ol' Crazy McBeardface.

Deuces for now.

BookExogorth likes this.
  8. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    I'm good @Wang Chi , I have my daughters the rest of the week, so I probably won't be on until Monday evening.

9. SithOverlord101

SithOverlord101 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2018
    To me, the Kamino fight looks like a draw, but I'm just a poster with no stake in this draft so what do I know.

10. Wang Chi

Mar 3, 2013
    So yeah, it's not gonna happen. My bad. Every night I get home and try to work up the energy, and every night it just isn't there. And now that I have a couple days off to chill, I was sitting here looking to start typing stuff up and it dawned on me that this is just not how I want to spend that chill time. Especially since... yeah, even if I managed to win all 5 of my non-forfeits, I'm going to concede the team battle. That one's not an argument I can make without being completely full of ****.

I thought it'd be fun to go all-in on some args like I did back when I was 18-19 just one last time, but that's not realistic for me at the moment. For me, the debating was always like 80% of the fun of these, even if they sometimes got way too heated back in the day.

Anyways, like I said before, going forward I can totally see having the time to judge on occasion, and the sports drafts don't take up very much time for anyone not named Inty (who is a straight up hero for doing what he does). But the GMing, with me not being able to make args how I actually like to make 'em... nah.

Later tonight, I will actually try to put together a summation of my args for these matches that'll be much more compact than what I had planned.

11. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    Oh man debating is easily the fun. Literally just re-read most of the Thrawn Trilogy anticipating your Joruus angle lol. :p

To me, one of the best things about the Jedi/SD Drafts (aside from hanging with you peeps) is how that can stoke an interest in new & old Star Wars material. I bailed hard on the books post-NJO, but this game always gave reason to dive back in. Without having Ventress/Quin, I almost assuredly don't pick up Dark Disciple-- which is one of the better pieces of recent EU (h/t to Mando & Fallen Order). Without Xesh, I likely never read Dawn of the Jedi-- a well-done story that got lost in the transition to Disney. And those weird little comics/Insider things can often hide gems too.

PS my offer still stands for anyone who wants to read any of these or more!

But as much as I think Ventress vs. Joruus/Vaylin is clearer cut, was hoping to hear your response on the Cade/Celeste/Ferus vs. Nyriss/Jadus extravaganza. It's a Cade triple trump. On the Dark Siders' home planet. With a million variables. And maybe a secret Baby Yoda. I wanna know your crazy take lol

Crank out one more wild one for old time's sake, @Wang Chi. You're the all-time wins GM in Jedi Draft history. Make @ma_petite proud.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  12. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    I agree with @KenKenobi

@Wang Chi Obviously do what you can. Guys like you make the draft and give me the boost to want to commish as well. I know it sounds corny. :p However, if GMs don't argue, all we'll need to do is go with previous draft results, and that's kind of boring.

I feel like this is also on me because this draft has dragged on. I was on parental leave, and if anyone is a parent here I hope you get it. My wife also got laid off from her job so the house was busy and many people required attention. Anyways, I hope this doesn't sway people away from the draft itself. Rant over.

Keep it up guys and girls.

13. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    Nah, you're good man. Check out the last few drafts-- around 50 pages and 8-9 months is standard at this point. Same w/ Muggles. Same with SFD. It's almost creepy lol.

Always feels slower by the end b/c there's fewer teams (and the Arena's taken sports socializing-- this used to be the place to talk that stuff on the JCC). I agree with Inty that double-elim is prob the way to go in the future, gives everyone a reason to stick with their squads longer.

Def no need to apologize for real life lol, we all on the boards dealing with it. For you it's a break from that busy-ness. For Inty it's fewer genetic copies throwing stuff at him. For me it's talking particulars of the Yuuzhan Vong invading early w/o getting looked at weird on the subway. Except...maybe I shouldn't assume no one here looked at me weird for that... [face_blush]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  14. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I'll give Wang til Wednesday

that's what she said.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  15. Wang Chi

Mar 3, 2013
    Yeah, that sounds about right to me. It definitely won't be the whole shebang, as was the plan. But tomorrow (for sure this time) I'll at least talk about C'baoth some, summarize that matchup and then talk a bit about the other one.

Darth_Furio likes this.
  16. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I can only hope the people who look at you weird on the subway are the people who high-fived Pointy when he ran up and down yelling "THE ENHANCERS WENT BACK TO BACK"

17. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    Why would he even be down there given all your LYFTS?!

18. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    Getting old and adulting sucks! I wish I still had energy to do all this stuff but when I get a day off, I just want to shut everything down and escape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002

Man isn't that the truth... I remember spending untold hours on here in my early 20s endlessly debating about an EU that no longer exists. Now I get lucky to get on and lurk for an hour here or there once a month. I didn't go back and read too much of this particular Draft but how do you guys handle the de-canonization of the old EU?

20. BookExogorth

BookExogorth Force Ghost star 4

May 4, 2017
    Current custom is to combine the peak showings of both EU and new canon - arguers can use feats from both versions of the character in question. (I'm not an expert though lol)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    KenKenobi likes this.
  21. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    Holy ****, @EMPEROR_WINDU! Thought you were long gone man. Hope you're well, and hope DisnEU blows out some Mace content for you to dip your toe back in.

Re: canon, Bexo nailed it, we essentially combine the experience of characters who exist in both. Which can create some wild scenarios for sure, like the Solo kids meeting their "sibling" Kylo, or Rey meeting a fairly different Luke-- or a Ventress-Quinlan-Kenobi love triangle lol. :p

22. BookExogorth

May 4, 2017
    [​IMG]

23. Wang Chi

Mar 3, 2013
    So I totally fell asleep in my chair again last night after tallying and posting my stats for the baseball draft. It's gonna be what it's gonna be.

24. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    Oh wow, that sounds like a lot of fun. Might have to literally dip all my toes in next time around and GM again. I'd love to see some new arguments regarding Luke and some other characters. Unfortunately, there hasn't been any new Mace content but I'll always have my copy of Shatterpoint nearby.

ISWT (In Stover We Trust) :p

25. BookExogorth

May 4, 2017
    [​IMG]

KenKenobi and EMPEROR_WINDU like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.