main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion The Ahsoka Tano Mega Thread Power Hour

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Aug 16, 2015.

1. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    To sort of decide whether you will like a show or not about a main character before the show even goes to air is not a good sign.

I hate the sequel trilogy with a passion but I’m intrigued by a movie / show about Rey if it is the hands of a decent director.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2023
    SithOverlord101 likes this.
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Good directors and writers can turn the absolute worst material into gold. So yeah. I agree.

rocknroll41 likes this.
  3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Oh yes. It’s just conjecture at this time. Ahsoka may very well be the best show ever or the worst. Not a clue. Trailer looks good. That’s all I can really say about that. I am just saying my excitement for Ahsoka in the show is less than it could be if I was fine with her surviving past Rebels.

4. Dorryn

Dorryn Jedi Master star 3

Jan 24, 2015
    This never means anything.

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Yes hence my point above. The trailer looks good, but it could still be the worst or best thing ever.

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Disney has posted a essential Ahsoka tano episodes and it doesn’t include weapons factory. So the list is already bunk.

7. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    WF is a key episode for showing you Ahsoka's character, showing you who she really is.

In particular the part where Ahsoka and Barriss were ready to kamikaze themselves for the greater good. You really get a sense of who she is to the core from that. And also her subsequent complete faith in Anakin.

Leaving that out of a list of "essential" Ahsoka eps demonstrates that somebody obviously doesn't know their subject matter.

rocknroll41 likes this.
  8. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    They also include the entire martize sister arc which I don’t think is needed. Nor is life and death and arguably practice makes perfect.

so they cut one of the most important episodes to favor of one where Ahsoka isn’t a character. More just a thing that exists and I would argue 3 of the martize sister episodes aren’t needed either.

so the list makes even less sense then I thought. So I feel like they had some sleep deprived intern put this together on a whim.

9. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    I can't even remember anything from the Martez arc except that at one point they went to Obah Diah and got mixed up with the Pykes, and at another point there was one of those "look how clever we're being with this scene, doesn't this remind you of something, wink wink" scenes, with the Martez's ship flying past Anakin's star destroyer while leaving Coruscant, in an almost shot-for-shot remake of the Tyderium flying past his dreadnought at Endor. Complete with a shot-for-shot remake of him sensing Ahsoka (Luke) and asking Yularen (Piett) "where is that ship going" etc, then "should I stop them" and "nope". Also the sensor tech was in the same place. It sticks in my head, because I guess they were successful in triggering the memory of the other scene in me... but most of the arc was forgettable.

Sproj likes this.
  10. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    The only part of that 4 episode borefest that I thought was interesting was when they spoke about Luminari giving them some token cliche after their parents died and put the Jedi in a bad light and even that, I don't remember clearly. Those four episodes were so boring.

11. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I like the episodes but I don’t love them like Seige and Bad Batch. And it’s a reminder that even in its later episodes TCW was still very inconsistent. Hence my preference for Bad Batch and Rebels. I will say this. With 3 exceptions every single episode of Rebels and BB is better than those 4 episodes

point being I don’t think they should be on the list. It just reiterated what Ahsoka went through in Wrong Jedi.

12. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    Yeah I have to agree that the Martez arc didn't really do much for me either. About the only thing I do recall is after Ahsoka got done whipping that one dude's hind end, the one sister asked her where she learned to do that, and Ahsoka said that her older brother taught her.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Another good line was something about flying and Ahsoka said she attended Skywalker academy. Lol.

rocknroll41 and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  14. Adamoss

Adamoss Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 31, 2023

For an amateur film, it turned out pretty well. A funny scene with turning off and on the lightsaber and "Pick on someone your own size" I would like to see such a text in Ahsoka's series.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2023
  15. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    It was well done; but I did have one question on the choice of look for Ahsoka, given the time frame. She essentially dons the outfit from her post-ROTJ years, not from Rebels.

16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Just bumping this thread for no particular reason. [face_whistling]

17. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jedi Master Frizzy Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018

Ahsoka coming to Fortnight and here the items for the character.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2023
  18. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Now if only I played Fortnight and knew how to acquire that!

19. Force Nexus

Force Nexus Jedi Master star 3

Jun 22, 2022
    [​IMG]
    Interesting how the reception of the character has changed from The Siege of Mandalore to now, when her own series has concluded. I know, it's just an opinion of a subset of people from a particular channel, and it cannot be indicative of anything objective (and I don't present it as such), but still, the sample size is reasonable and they are not just blind haters — so I found that interesting and worth sharing.

Personally, I do share the sentiment. Live-action version of the character is just not the same, and I really, really prefer the animated one. And it just makes me wish the Ahsoka series, or Rebels S5, had been animated instead.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  20. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jan 15, 2018
    His channel is also the same that has people who only like GL Star Wars, outside Andor and early Mandalorian season.

21. Force Nexus

Jun 22, 2022
    Not really. Plenty of people there also like Rebels, The Bad Batch, and Tales of the Jedi. The guy isn't a grifter, he doesn't talk cringe politics, and he is very open and tame in his Star Wars opinions and discussions, and always tries to find something positive even in the stuff he doesn't like. He is honestly one of the few bearable SW YouTubers, but I digress.

More importantly to this particular conversation is that the vast majority of the people in that sample absolutely loved Ahsoka after TCW S7 concluded. And the live-action series did not do her any favors, to put it mildly — the results of the poll speak for themselves. And sure, it's probably not the same people voting, the sample is different and smaller, but given the overall rather controversial reception of the show and Ahsoka's portrayal in it, I found it to be interesting and somewhat sharing the sentiment myself, and maybe worth discussing as to why this has happened.

Although I still love Ahsoka from animation and that will not change for me, I am rather indifferent to the live-action iteration and have a hard time connecting with her. And not that I care that much what other people think, other people liking Ahsoka less or not will not detract my own enjoyment, but it's kind of disheartening to see the character being diluted and mishandled to the point that other people feel less about them. Sometimes it's better to finish the story on a strong note and let the character go, and have them be remembered fondly, instead of being aimlessly dragged out and mishandled, which could retroactively detract from what people originally loved very much.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  22. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jan 15, 2018
    Thats their opinion, Ahsoka is very popular. And will likely be just live action from now on. Filoni has control of the character.

23. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    No idea what is giving you this perspective other than a couple of polls on a YT channel.
    "Diluted and mishandled"? If a series was helmed by someone with zero clue about the Ahsoka character, perhaps there might be some validity in making that statement.
    The person literally behind the character's entire development from beginning to now, Filoni, wrote every single episode of the live action and directed two of them; and likely was on set of many of the other episodes.
    I felt the portrayal of Ahsoka was absolutely spot-on. The only time I was taken aback was with the young Ahsoka, but that's because it was shocking to see such a young person in battle even though the actress, Ariana, was the same age as Ahsoka at that time. If anything, it caused me to have a broader perspective on how the Jedi were creating child warriors and what that meant to the Order overall.

Bibliora and The Togruta Jedi like this.
  24. Force Nexus

Jun 22, 2022
    That's my opinion. Opinion that is seemingly shared by quite a substantial amount of people, that's all. The reviews on the show are fairly mixed, even from the people who actually love the character.
    First of all, it's important to remember that Filoni was never the one solely responsible for creating and developing Ahsoka. He would be the first person to tell you that, as he does all the time in the interviews. George co-created her and supervised her development, and the majority of her character that we know and love was created under George's direct guidance. Second of all, Filoni is not infallible. I think it is a big mistake to think that way. Filoni has become more and more self-indulgent in what he personally likes, and it can be annoying, IMO. Whereas in the past there used to be George to tell him "no", or other writers to polish his ideas, this show was done entirely by him. And it's rough. I disagree with what he's doing with the character. I dislike the whole "stoic sage Gandalf" thing, that never fit Ahsoka, ever. Ahsoka was always a very grounded, real and relatable character. IMO, she was the most "human" character of the saga other than Luke. Now she's this mysterious sage, because Filoni really, really likes Gandalf, and she speaks in short phrases and platitudes, and never shows any emotions, other than being smug occasionally and crossing her arms. Narratively, it feels like Ahsoka was just there for the majority of the show, and her story lacked any urgency, focus and direction. She was more or less sidelined in favor of Sabine, other than Episode 5. This is why I think Filoni dilutes and drags her out for no reason. Sabine has nothing to do with Ahsoka, and her becoming her apprentice is the most forced thing ever, as they had never interacted even once in Rebels. Her story peaked during her confrontation with Vader, and it's been more or less stagnant ever since.
    I disagree. I don't think it holds a candle to Ashley's performance and the animated portrayal. Live-action iteration is just so distant, flat, disinterested and one-note. And no, it's not about her place in the story and her inner state as a character. Ahsoka was sad and depressed before. We'd seen that. It's about direction and performance. If I wouldn't know animated Ahsoka, and my only exposure was through this show, I would have thought that this is the most boring character ever. Which is what people who don't know the character say based on this show. Which is a shame.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you and others enjoyed it. I may be overly harsh, you could call all of this nitpicking, and it's just my opinion, but so far nothing has convinced me that the transition to live-action was justified, and I say this not out of some hate or wanting to dislike things on purpose, but because I actually like the character, too. But anyway, I've said my piece.

25. Bibliora

Bibliora Jedi Knight star 3

May 24, 2023
    After Ahsoka's interactions with Anakin in the WBW, I felt more of a connection to the TCW Ahsoka, she had a lightness. However, she was 14 years old in TCW , now she is 50ish. There are going to be a lot of differences between the two.