main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The AIificication and future of work

Discussion in 'Community' started by Bacon164, Feb 10, 2023.

1. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Can we talk about how the future of work seems to be prompt generation + soft skills? What is going to happen to us

2. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    What does the word "redundant" mean?

3. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    I’ll ask bing

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Can an AI buy an NFT?

5. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 7

Nov 21, 2012
    Unless you’re all okay with AI generated art that has humans with 47 fingers, and a valley of the dolls look to their expressions, I think we’re okay for the short term.

Long term…who knows.

6. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Butlerian Jihad

7. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
  8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You can have an AI orchestra but it'll still need a conducter.

9. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    so only eliminating like 49 out of 50 jobs? sweet!

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Your standard ******** US chief executive types don't even need AI as a reason to cut jobs. Company has its most successful year ever? The next move is sacking loads of people.

No, what I was getting at is, if you try to use any of these "smart AI" tools, they're not as smart as they're marketed as. Humans will still be needed.

Probably take a few companies that decide to entirely rely on AI going bust for that message to sink in though.

blackmyron, FatBurt, mnjedi and 4 others like this.
  11. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    What’s this have to do with Aflack? And is it the actor or the talking duck insurance?

12. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Personally I look forward to a world where humans are no longer required to work to survive. Two hundred years from now, this requirement will be rightfully viewed as a form of slavery.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
  13. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    I don’t think that’s how the system works but yes but we’ll all be dead

14. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i too look forward to a world where all of us are dead.

15. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    They’ll never make an AI they can force to commute for an hour and a half each day and then spend 8 hours doing something that could have been done in 4 at home. What are they gonna do? Invent an AI with feelings just so they can still have the satisfaction of personally immiserating people?

Oh, that’ll be why the robots put us up against the wall, 100%.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
  16. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Alifici- what?

17. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    it’s an i not an l

18. BlankEquestrian

BlankEquestrian Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 20, 2021
    This, climate change, and the Iranian nuclear bomb seem to be the three phenomenon of my lifetime that have more or less been perpetually "coming" at some indeterminate point in the future but never actually materialize.

19. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    Idk man in my sphere it’s already here

20. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    JediVision, right?

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Let's see - temperatures all over the place, greater volatility in weather, far more fires in California - but sure, nothing to do with climate change.

22. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    ok guys there’s a climate change thread over there, I want to talk about Bing

23. BlankEquestrian

BlankEquestrian Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 20, 2021
    Yeah. My JediVision account was declared a "sock" and I'm apparently not allowed to use it anymore. My personal life is spiraling out of control and I'm walking the tightrope of sanity, and not really successfully

24. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002
    Yeah, I think humanity is going to face one of those "paradigm shifts" that are often referenced but are rarely that..er...paradigm shifting.

Not exactly a novel thought, but I believe we're closing in on one of those things that 1940s and 1950s sci-fi writers and comic book writers loved to speculate about - except their speculation usually involved "human-shaped" robots versus, say, self-driving cars etc. What I mean is, I think we are pretty close to...

(1) Self-Driving cars...and trucks and trains and maybe even planes. So a lot of jobs involved in transporting materials (yes, and passengers) will go away.
    (2) Self-functioning machinery of all types - forklifts and construction equipment and mining equipment and logging equipment and fishing vessels and garbage pickup and mail delivery and take-out delivery and lots lots more. Which again will mean a lot less need for human beings in a lot of sectors, meaning, again, less jobs.
    (3) Arguably part of numbers 1 and 2 above - fully automated cargo handling and unloading and warehouses.
    (4) Drifting somewhat in the direction of "robots" versus, say, a "truck with a brain" (although is there a distinction?), robot firefighters, security guards, nursing/nursing home aides, senior home care assistance.

In other words, human beings are more and more going to be replaced by machinery. So we went from (many) years where humans had to work to sustain themselves (hunter/gatherer, farmer/homesteader, etc) to working to provide goods and services in exchange for what they needed (bartering, money, etc). to....? I have no idea how it will work. I see some assuming that...someone...will simply ...give people food, shelter, medical care, etc... but how would that work? And what would people DO? I know, I know, the theory is we'll all be painting and sculpting and writing novels, etc, but.......

25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You can already probably have AI doing that list, but safely? Don't think so.