main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Army of the Twelve Monkeys: The Terry Gilliam Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Darth_Ignant, Jan 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    The Brothers Grimm (2005)
    Twelve Monkeys (1995)
    The Adventures of Baron Munchausen (1988)
    Brazil (1985)
    Time Bandits (1981)
    Jabberwocky (1977)
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)

He doesn't make many, our Terry, but when he does, they're interesting to say the least. The high point for me is Twelve Monkeys, with an honourable mention for Jabberwocky, probably his least known flick.

2. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    i think i know holy grail and twelve monkeys. i love love love time bandits. it's just so quirky and funny.

for years i've been hearing he was scheduled to make the good omens movie (based on terry pratchett's and neil gaiman's book) but i guess it will never happen. :(
    i had already envisioned stephen fry as the angel, now all we need is a proper demon and the cameras can start rolling!

3. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I shamefully didn't 'get' the ending of 12 Monkeys until I watched the DVD extras and Gilliam explained the ending.

I suppose like others I watched it and thought "hey, that ending was pretty neat", but completely missed the significance of the actual events that occured.

Time Bandits was cool - its great to see a movie like that getting made which was reasonably 'out there'. Similarly with Brazil, which had an amazing cast and kept me hooked until the eventual ending (after so many fake endings)

4. DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL

DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Well once more for Malkie!!!

Bruce Willis saw himself Die when he was a kid, but the child Bruce Willis did not realise that it was himself that was shot, and he dreamt about it his entire life. The REASON he died was because if the plauge never happened the Time machine would not have been built and he would never have vbeen sent back to stop it, goes back to........Don't screw around with time. Paradox's are bad[

5. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I loved 12 Monkeys and have been maening to see Brazil. What do you guys think of The Brothers Grimm? I thought it was awful but am interested it what others have to say.

6. Get_in_Gear

Get_in_Gear Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 29, 2004
    Monty Python, of course, were to comedy what The Beatles were to popular music, and Terry Gilliam deserves recognition for his contribution to that if nothing else.

Time Bandit/Brazil/12 Monkeys are my personal faves, discounting The Fisher King and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas because they are not really related to this thread.

If only he could have made Alan Moore's Watchmen - he's been wanting to do that for so long, but it just kept falling through.
    It would have been ace.
    Gilliam has had some terrible bad luck over the years.

Even if you don't like his films, per se, you cannot deny he has a unique vision and sense of humour.

[image=http://www.einhorn-film.at/filme_qrst/time_bandits_2.jpg][image=http://www.monkeytime.org/Site%20Images/brazil.jpg] [image=http://thecia.com.au/reviews/1/images/12-monkeys-6.jpg]

As for Brothers Grimm - well, I'd been told by so many people it was crap, so I ended up being pleasantly surprised when I finally got around to seeing it.
    It looked great, and he clearly still has that amazing imagination, but it was somehow all a bit soulless and inconsequential.
    Certianly not on par with his best work, although I can't say exactly why... just kind of... pointless.

7. DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL

DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I thought Brothers Grimm was good for the first half, but I thought it completly fell apart and became utterly ridiculous.......

8. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    I've always had a big soft spot in my heart for The Adventures of Baron Munchausen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.