main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive The Artist's Cantina: A Social Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn, May 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBalinakaBaroness

TheBalinakaBaroness Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    I think I get what you're talking about.

I wonder if it would work, if after following all of Cheveyo's steps, instead of having to flatten the entire image, add a blank layer, link your lightsaber layer to that layer and then merge the two linked layers. Whala! The lightsaber no longer has Layer Properties attached, it just is. I only suggest this, cause it scares me to death to flatten images.

am I even on the same wavelength as you guys, or did I just make up a solution for an imagined problem? ..... uh, don't mind me, just muttering to myself over here in the corner.....

2. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    Baroness-

I was actually thinking of yours and Cheveyo's threads when I wrote that.

Are there any mods around who can Yae/Nay these ideas? I'm not in a position of authority around here (and certainly not on TPM board, I just got slapped for being a bit zealous in my defense of the film) but it would be nice to hear from our leaders on the subject of Fan Art Forum expansion.

And I have never, to my knowledge, experienced "lightsaber shrinkage". But I'm almost 30, so it's bound to happen sooner or later. ;)

-Otis

3. Jabachile

Jabachile Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    It worked! Chevyo-

I didn't flatten the image before *duh*! Heh heh, I've got a mean Mace Windu image comin' online soon... :)

4. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    OK, so here's a dumb question or three (I know, I know, there are no dumb questions, just dumb people....)

so is Rox our moderator? if so, who's Britany? and what exactly do they do?

5. Jabachile

Jabachile Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    We don't really have a mod, it seems. I think MarchSWGirl (is that her name?) is our mod, but I haven't seen her around lately.

If there were to be a new mod, I would definitely nominate Adoniah. If not for his experience here, definitely his dedication over at the communications forum. Otis brought that to my attention, and that's great what he's doing.

There are plenty of other people here that would make great mods too ;)

6. ADONIAH32

ADONIAH32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    Okay, here's the deal. So, I talked to Vertical (after my petition thread) to see what he thought and I e-mailed Britany.

Brit suggested that I be the moderator for my dedication to that thread. But all the other mods seem to think that we don't need one and never will. I think that is rather harsh. See, I feel we aren't being properly represented. I am here everyday and I am dedicated to making this forum better.

Hmm...maybe if we got more people from this forum to support my thread, things might change.

7. Otis_Frampton

Jan 7, 2001
    Revival of the Fan Art Forum

There's a link to the thread.

Personally, I think that the mod for this forum should BE an artist. Otherwise they simply won't be involved in the day to day activities.

-Otis

8. ADONIAH32

Jan 18, 2002
    Are you saying I am not an artist?

Perhaps you would like me to scan my landscape paintings and portraits including my one entitled "Good vs. Evil" which my Art teacher thought was quite good.

If you think I am not an artist, I shall do so.

9. Otis_Frampton

Jan 7, 2001
    Uh . . I never said that.

Relax. You're being a bit defensive with me, and I'm only trying to support you. You DID see the link, right?

-Otis

10. ADONIAH32

Jan 18, 2002
    Sorry :)

I am a little edgy today as I have spent the WHOLE day working on the site. Hehe, sorry if I took that the wrong way ;)

11. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    WOW!

I
    m away for a little while, and my thread gets delusions of grandeur... Glad to see it's a success. Hopefully I'll be uploading some of my art soon (just got a young yoda painting and a Clonetrooper army painting back from my art teacher, whoi was grading them from the hospital, or her house, or something - she's on sabbatical, but not really).

Just gotta get my digital cam up and running (paintings too large for scanner)

12. ADONIAH32

Jan 18, 2002
    I can't wait to see them!

13. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    Ooo! The mysterious Thrawn has returned! Can't wait to see your artwork!

Now back to the mod thing - sorry if I'm beating a dead horse but I wouldn't say Rox is never here... and he is an artist (web designer). I don't think it's fair to claim he's never around just because he isn't here right now, or that he doesn't care, because he was in Adoniah's thread trying to help earlier. Sorry, I just don't want this to get mutinous and ugly. That other person, well, I've never seen them around, so attack away! ;) jus' kiddin'

***What I'd really like to know, is what exactly are mods supposed to do, what are their responsiblities, things like that? Is there maybe an info thread I can go to and read up on this? You know, trying to be an informed citizen. :)

14. ADONIAH32

Jan 18, 2002
    I am not trying to be mutinous

I am simply stating. I mean, he is busy too with RSA North East modding...so technically we dont have a DEDICATED mod. That is the way I should have said it.

15. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Sep 23, 1999
    "The Mysterious Thrawn" If only I had registered that as my username. ;)

16. Otis_Frampton

Jan 7, 2001
    Balinaka Baroness: Voice Of Calm Reason.

Otis_Frampton: Zealous Hothead.

;)

-Otis

17. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    Good ol' Otis. You always make me smile!

:)

18. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    Jabachile, glad that worked for ya. :D

As to the moderator dilema: I'm not too sure there is such a thing as a "dedicated" moderator, at least not in the respect to which you desire. There will be times when the mod will be unavailable, but there are other mods on the TF.N boards who can help out in a bind.

Rox is the current "official" mod of the fanart forum. My personal experiences with him as a mod have been great. Even though he does not seem to post much, he usually is around. Mar17swgirl, I think, also mod's this place, although she primarily hangs out at fanfic.

Now, what is the roll of a mod? In my own humble, un-biased, slightly jaded opinion, ( ;)) the mods take care of the board. The manage it, update it, clean it up, if you will. They can also begin threads to stir up conversation, but we posters can do the same. We have done the same. I think the mods we have now are great. We don't need to change that part of this forum. The changes (new threads, more interaction, etc) that have been implemented are will work. They just need time.

...Am I rambling? ;)

19. ADONIAH32

Jan 18, 2002
    I guess people just don't see where I am coming from with this.

I guess we'll have to see how things play out.

20. Otis_Frampton

Jan 7, 2001
    <<I guess people just don't see where I am coming from with this.>>

Try to explain yourself. Maybe they/we will. :D

Now . .

This is WAY off topic, but I thought I share. Hey, everything's fair game in the cantina, right?

So, I'm watching the A&E Biography about J.K. Rowling. It's interesting to me learning more about the creative mind behind stories such as "Harry Potter". It reminds me of George Lucas in a way. There are real people behind these phenomenons, and I think some of the more fanatical fans tend to forget that the object of their affection comes not from the ether, but from the imagination of a human being who lives and breathes and makes creative choices which go into the evolution of these stories.

Rowling said something regarding this that really struck me as very profound, despite how simple and obvious it should be to anyone. She was recounting a story about a letter she recieved from a parent of a reader. The parent basically scolded Rowling for the dark ending of one of her Harry Potter books, and warned that "she would be watching to see if her next book ended as badly" (or something to that affect). This is what she said regarding that:

(I'm paraphrasing)

"Do I love my readers? Of course I do. But will I allow any other person to have any affect on what I write and how I write it? Absolutely not. I'm not taking dictation here. I basically wrote back to the parent and said . . stop reading."

Upon hearing this, I was reminded of Lucas and the way some fans have responded to the Prequels. It's disheartening to me to hear people deride George and speak of the "right and wrong way" to tell the story.

I don't know where I'm going with this, but it had to do with the nature of creativity so I thought I'd share.

-Otis

21. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
  22. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Sep 23, 1999
    This is a painting of Luke as an 80 year old man, a concept artwork for a story I'm working on. I just finished it.

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/ad35783d/bc/My+Photos/__hr_oldluke.jpg?bcb8G.8APheSFB7R

See what you think!

(Typically I sign my works CNF, in connected letters; it's sorta my trademark. But I was going for a more Ryan Church-ish look for this one. ;) )

I hope you guys like it!

23. Mojomoe

Mojomoe Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 11, 2002
    Wow, looks like I've missed a *heaping* amount of byplay in here... whoo!

Anyways, good post, Otis. I've spent many a moon pondering the nature of creativity myself, and I have encountered, once or twice (99.99999% of the time) fans who seem to share this unrealistic opinion of a story that weaves itself. So incredibly not true. I, on the other hand, have become more and more focused on the way George, the *MAN* at the center of all of this wonderful space opera nonsense, writes these stories. Being a writer and a very visual person myself, I am immensely intrigued to follow his process of creating - from what kinds of visual inspiration the iconic images of the Star Wars trilogy evolve from, to the seemingly insignificant (but incredibly important) decision of how he writes: where, with what pen, in which notebook, at what desk, after a cup of which kind of coffee? These may seem minor, but true students of creativity (the real Force at work in our world) take note: these details are what our cherished universe is made from... the beloved character of Han Solo, which seems to many to have been destined to exist exactly as we know him, might not be there at all had George had two scoops of sugar instead of one on that fateful morning in the mid-70s.

So, although it is fair for us as fans to watch and *wish* it might go this way or that, it is *not* our place to say when George has succeeded, or when he has failed and where - the only person qualified and informed enough to do that is George, plain and simple.

...Okay, that's my chapter for the day. Sorry for the rant :)

Cheers, all!
    -C.

24. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Sep 23, 1999
    Ooo, delving into chaos theory, are we? ;) What you say is true... and I have pondered many of the same things, Mojomoe. It must be a common trait among artists.

25. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Sep 23, 1999
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.