main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Bad Batch The Bad Batch 2.06 - Tribe - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Jan 31, 2023.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Feb 8, 2023.
  1. 10

10.0%
  2. 9

18.3%
  3. 8

33.3%
  4. 7

23.3%
  5. 6

6.7%
  6. 5

5.0%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

3.3%
  1. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I said it was planned and executrd fine, not perfect. Its a fun good tv show. I gave it 7,5 because its good but could be better. Fan expectations are what has ruined many shows.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
  2. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    This something that happens with all new star wars content. Fans are expecting it to be something that it isn't and won't let go of that.

3. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    Remember what we thought TBB was going to be about? Things like the A-team in space. Jokey, offbeat and extreme characters. A female Boba storyline. Some tantalising plot about cloning in the future. I wasn't expecting highs like other series as I thought it was going to be absurd. Season 1 slightly improved my hopes for TBB overall. It wasn't that bad!

Have plots been dropped because they're being used elsewhere? Don't know. Maybe TBB has a surprise on store. But why is the writing not as good?

I was expecting average, even after season 1's mildly interesting stories. I'm not sure season 2 has reached those heady heights yet.

2 out of 6 episodes being "ok" isn't a great standard no matter how pretty it looks. I really hope The Bad Batch aren't The Boring Batch in the end.

*When I say "we" I'm really just speaking for "me". :)

4. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I don’t think you have to wait until the end to find out…

DannyD likes this.
  5. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    The Bad Batch are fun.

I love to see where Gungi goes next. Another show or Movie? Is he alive post ROTJ and post TROS.

clone commander bossk likes this.
  6. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    This is probably more of a 9 episode, but I felt generous enough to bump it up to a 10 because Wookiees and positive spider representation are 2 of my favorite things.

7. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    If every episode was like this one, even one and done, I would be fine with it and accept it for what it is. The issue for me is that the show doesn't seem to know what it wants to be - some episodes build on a narrative, others just seem to be mission of the week.

Season 1 was good because it had a coherent story overall, even though there were missions of the week here and there. So far, season 2 had episode 3 which seemed to feed into the overall momentum built from last season but the others have seemed to then disconnect and have become quite repetitive. I hope that this Gungi episode has a pay off later and maybe some of the others so far will too but we are almost half way into the season and I have no idea where we are going, if anywhere. This to me is the definition of being a disjointed show and so sometimes the wheels spin forward, others spin out of control, so it makes it confusing.

Plus, aside from Tech maybe this season, none of the actual batch seem to have made any real progression.

8. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    They don’t know how to do good episodic storytelling and they aren’t interested or don’t have the material to do a greater narrative, so we’re sort of left in this weird no man’s land where it just meanders around with missions that aren’t really impactful or interesting.

And I don’t think the mixed reception is from fan expectation, LFL set that expectation when Season 1 crafted this huge story about the fall of Kamino, setting up elements from the Mandoverse and ending with a cliffhanger introducing a huge element from Legends. And on top of that they marketed this season with the Emperor Palpatine front and centre. It’s not on the fans that they expected something more substantial this season.

9. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    They didnt marketed Palpatine to be in the beginning of the Season. Like most trailers they hint at something later. The elements from season 1 and connections will come later. I dont really see that mutch mixed reception. The one off missions are fine. This just what Rebels did, give one big episode then do one off missions. This show is a mix of Clone wars and Rebels. The Bad Batch crew is for now wanting to stay hidden.

10. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yes, because the goal of all Star Wars TV and film should be “it’s fine.”

11. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Better then its bad or runied something, lol. Clone wars and Rebels started this way. Clone wars and Rebels didnt get better until halway season 2 and then still had adventures of the week in their third seasons.

12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The Clones can't speak Shyiriiwook? Those Kamino cloners are really lagging in their development!

13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Only Hunter could, for some reason.

14. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    He is rusty but maybe only he wanted to learn a new language.

15. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    What's weird is that they mention that they've been to Kashyyyk before, which would probably have been their mission with Yoda ("Good relations with the wookiees I have") yet everything in this episode was adapted from those very scripts...

16. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    I'd give this season a 7 out of 10 for now, which is better than 'fine.'

They went to Kashyyyk before, he probably picked some up there.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  17. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Probaly refference to it being canon.

SeparatistFan likes this.
  18. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    Would have been a nice callback - TBB telling Venomor "hey, we thought you were working for CIS".

SeparatistFan likes this.
  19. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    So which one is more probable?
    a) Gungi was in Luke's academy and was killed by the KOR? (or just Ben - whatever the story is - meh)
    b) Gungi never left his Kashyyyk, is still there and will never leave?
    c) There's gonna be a Gungi and Grogu series where a middle aged Kal Kestis shows up?

20. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Gungi, Grogu and Rey adventures.

21. Lomer2012

Lomer2012 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2016
    Our protagonists have failed yet another mission for Cid (after Dooku's war chest assignment), so I expect that accumulating money problems will soon trigger that betrayal hinted in the race episode.

I wonder what will be the consequences of saving Gungi? Is he and his new tribe part of a larger group of allies that the BB will turn to in time of great need (similar to the end of Mando S2) (in which case they will also probably repair the ancient mech from the previous episode)? Or is Gungi used just as a homage to Clone Wars with the possible intention to re-introduce him in future post-RoTJ or even post-ST stories (considering Wookiees' long lifespans)?

Edit: Just saw that SotneRIver has asked essentially the same questions regarding Gungi several minutes before me.

22. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Most likley the latter.

23. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    That’s a horribly low bar and no storyteller with any self respect would settle for that.

24. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Not when you know how hard it is make a tv show. And Bad Batch is a good show with ok episodes sometimes. I dont think Filoni think its not doing well.

25. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    Saying that the creatives should strive for mediocrity because filmmaking is hard is just stupid. If people followed that mentality then Star Wars wouldn’t even be a thing.