main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Bashers' Sanctuary Strikes Back

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Binary_Sunset, Mar 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Now that I remember, it was ShaneP that made the comment about KISS: Keep it simple stupid.

2. stone_jedi

stone_jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2001
    At least they aren't talking about cleaning toilets again! [face_laugh]

"We can rebuild this sanctuary to become more powerful than ever before." [face_devil]

EDIT - Welcome -jawahead- :)

3. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    LOTR had some flawed effects but was a million times better than TPM. Jackson knows how to handle the effects. I'm suprised Lucas doesn't. Anyway, the Oscar deserved to go to A.I. but I am still happy it went to LOTR. At least the Academy agrees with me that the effects WERE superior.

4. TadjiStation

TadjiStation Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    As to the discussion of Yoda's face differences in TPM and the OT - the explanation is simple:

"When 900 years old you reach, look as good, you will not. BUT...

Edited from ROTJ (the original director's cut):

"When 770 years old you are. young and vibrant you will be, just like me."

See, it was there all the time, Lucas just didn't want anyone knowing about it. He really should have put that one back in.

:p

5. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    The old Sanctuary...*sigh*...I hardly got a chance to know ye...

So many gripes...so many witty rejoinders...

:_|

6. MoonMan080

MoonMan080 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2001
    MoonMan shares a moment of silence....

there is another...

Live on, fellow fans, live on

7. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Don't even get me started on that 2-bit dime store cheep latex knock-off! I mean seriously...I don't think the "artist" who scultpted it even bothered to look at a refrence of what Yoda really looks like

It will never cease to amaze me that they felt the "need" to give Yoda a new look. I mean, I honestly didn't think he looked younger, just different, as in a different person.

8. Glorian

Glorian Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2000
    A fond greetings from Glorian, basher emeritus.
    The Basher Sanctuary is dead. Long live the Bashers Strike Back thread!

And now, on to the topics at hand.
    Boss Nass = over animated, simplistic, Wizard of Oz brand storytelling.
    In other words, the character was so over-the-top, it was impossible to use him as a valid story telling device. He was too busy blubbering his lips and changing his deeply held convictions to be taken seriously.

Planet Core: Uninteresting and uninspired action sequence that had me looking at my watch. Its unmemorable because no one did anything especially cool...(like Han in the asteroid field), and because there was little drama.
    In Empire, there was some question as to how the Falcon would esacpe...and when they finally did it was because of Han's incredible piloting and later, incredible cleverness. We were also scared of the Empire because we KNEW what it represented dramartically.
    The core chase was a lot of Jurassic Park grandstanding that came off as such.

TPM ship design: Un-freaking-cool. The X-Wing fighter was undeniably every kid's favorite spaceship toy....primarily because it looked fast and dangerous. It had big roaring engines, big blasting guns and imposing X-wings that gave it a hawk-like stature.

The Naboo starfighter looks rather silly in comparison and failed to impress my little brother. In Star Wars, ships were these big mechanical monstrosities that brought back images of the greasy mechanic fighter pilot of the 50s. They were dirty and oily and they had frayed wiring and could be fixed with wrenches (hydrospanners).

The ships in TPM looked like something out of Star Trek the Next Generation. Sleek, modern...drab and dull.

Glorian

9. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I am so glad that there is a place like this where someone can maintain their God given right to be let down with TPM, othewise known as "An Abomination to all that is Good".

I mean really, in all the other threads, when you ask why such and such happened in the movie, someone actualy answers it!

Haven't they heard of a rhetorical question?

They are asked by people who already know the answer.

When I ask something like: "Why was Qui-Gon teaching Obi-Wan in TPM when later on in ESB he says Yoda was the Jedi Master who taught him?" Someone will say something like "oh you don't understand, both Yoda and Qui-Gon taught him".

We all know it is a blatant plot hole!

I guess I am just sick and tired of Lucas slacking off and making the movie the way he wants to when he should be more attentive to OUR needs. I mean he didn't even ask if he could make it suck.

He just did it.

After all that crap we bought when we were kids.

So, can we bash anything in here, or is it "TPM complaints only"?

10. Dacks

Dacks Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 3, 2001
    I gots one word for y'all:

BRACES

At that point I knew GL was just yankin our chain.

11. DarthTorgo

DarthTorgo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2002
    <<
    The ships were uninspired, unoriginal, totally boring to look at--especially the queens turd that was nothing more then a chrome SR-47 Blackbird. The only one's that were the least bit intersesting were the one's like the Infiltrator which was based off of previous designs (which goes back to unoriginal) >>

What about the Executor and the Tie Bombers in ESB? Those are based off of previous designs, no?

12. DarthTorgo

Feb 17, 2002
    What was the poetic and romantic name they gave that ship again?

Why, the Queen's Royal Starship, of course. I agree with that. That was pretty dumb that they couldn't give the ship an actual name. I mean, they are supposed to be an artistic people or something.

13. stone_jedi

Jun 17, 2001
    Thanks Gomer! Proof that not all trolls are created using CGI! [face_plain]

EDIT - perhaps we could hear your feelings about George Bush and FEMA next, eh?

14. DarthTorgo

Feb 17, 2002
    <<I gots one word for y'all:

BRACES

At that point I knew GL was just yankin our chain. >>

Yeah, that just goes to show you how great slaves have it on Tattooine. I mean, their master even pays for their medical care. And don't suggest that those kids aren't slaves, because since Tattooine is supposed to be a rough place, and so why would kids who aren't slaves hang out with kids who are?

15. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    I really don't have any opinions about Bush and FEMA.

I could go on about that TPM though. How could anyone act like it wasn't bad? I mean didn't it get the razzie for "Worst Sequel Ever"?

I don't see why they had to make Jar-Jar an all-CG character. I mean, if they are going to use CG, I don't wan't to see an alien that looks like a man in a suit. That's the whole point of CG. Before CG, all we could do were men in suits, and quite frankly I am not buying it anymore.

16. stone_jedi

Jun 17, 2001
    I thought people who hated this movie were evil? And wasn't Bush going to use FEMA to establish his own version of Totalitarian control, or something like that? ;)

17. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Oh no, hate is a good thing.

You really think Bush would do that? That would be just like Darth Sidious.

18. BlackPool

BlackPool Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 29, 2000
    "What about the Executor and the Tie Bombers in ESB? Those are based off of previous designs, no?"

Well, the TIE bombers were a type of TIE fighter and the Executor was a super STAR DESTROYER. So it would make sense for thier look to be derrived from those other designs.

19. stone_jedi

Jun 17, 2001
    Like I said, living proof that trolls aren't just CGI.

(not you Blackpool ;) )

20. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Yeah, usually, they are "little people" in rubber suits.

(not you Stone_Jedi ;) )

But we digress. What is the deal with the "Queen's Royal Starship"? I mean they didn't give it a cool name, and it seems as if Lucas got a special deal on all that chrome. It just reeks "rush job".

I can just hear Lucas now...

Lucas: "What do you mean you didn't make a ship for the Queen? Oh crap, she NEEDS a ship!!!.... Okay, don't panic. Here, hand me that Stealth Blackbird toy your kid brought in!... (sound of kid crying off into the distance) and we'll just paint it... (grabs random can of paint off the shelf) CHROME! Man, I am so gonna beat Titanic!"

21. BlackPool

BlackPool Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 29, 2000
    LOL!!!!

22. stone_jedi

Jun 17, 2001
    100! :D

I was really hoping to hear about FEMA Gomer. :(

23. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    I have such a sense of deja vu. I remember when I started the Sanctuary 1.0, Go-Mer-Tonic was one of the very first people to post in it. Now, here again...

24. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Sorry. I am just here to bash TPM.

Even the letters used to abbreviate the title are sub-par.

"Tee" "Pee" "Emm"

It sounds like someone is telling you to throw toilet paper at someone else.

25. DarthTorgo

Feb 17, 2002
    <<"What about the Executor and the Tie Bombers in ESB? Those are based off of previous designs, no?"

Well, the TIE bombers were a type of TIE fighter and the Executor was a super STAR DESTROYER. So it would make sense for thier look to be derrived from those other designs.>>

I understand that. But about Maul's ship, isn't it concieveable that maybe the tie fighters, and thus by extension, Vader's ship, were inspired by that two solar panel design?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.