main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Cape--serving and Protecting Palm City

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Magellan_the_Cat, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    Did anyone else watch The Cape when it was on?
    I only discovered it this week by accident through NetFlix. It was surprisingly well done. It is of the action vigilante comic-book genre, but rises above the stereotype. The effects work well, and it has a coherent storyline.
    Plus David Keith as the leader of the Circus of Crime is just an excellent casting choice.

I understand it was a mid-season replacement for some other network show, but didn't get great ratings for whatever reason. Sad, because it was pretty good (high praise for any network TV show).
    Guessing it was ended for good, but it would be neat to have the show continue somehow. Maybe Big Finish Productions will pick up the rights.

2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    It was horrible. Words failed me at first to describe how poorly done this show was. The premise was unbelievable. The origin story was ridiculous. The parts involving the wife and son were boring. The villains were idiotic. The support (with the exception of Kieth David) was forgettable. Summer Glau was horrible, as usual. The plot was illogical. I am ashamed I even watched the first five episodes. I consider this among the lowest moments of my life. There were illnesses in my life that I enjoyed more. The day I woke up with blood all over my bed from a cut on my thigh that bled all night was more enjoyable than this show. This was a bad show.

On the other hand, go Keith David, the only person on this show that made any impact.

3. Magellan_the_Cat

Jul 21, 2003
    Wow.
    That's... quite an invective...
    I'm normally the one giving that kind of commentary.

Instead, for once, I had a completely opposite reaction, of being drawn in by something way better than I expected.

4. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    It felt good getting that off my chest.

5. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Lol. I enjoyed the show for what it was at first and then it did get kinda crappy as it progressed. It was def a fail after I had time to think on it later.

6. Magellan_the_Cat

Jul 21, 2003
    Well, considering the grief I gave others about hating successful shows like the BSG reboot, I guess I can't complain about people not liking this one...[face_shhh]

7. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Well, I liked The Cape. I missed it when it was on TV, but caught the entire short series on DVD last Fall. Good show that kept my interest, with a solid story & great action sequences, as well as being very firmly rooted in superhero comics. IMHO, the show had a lot of potential and would have probably gotten better if it had lasted. Unfortunately, it wasn't really given a chance.

8. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    The Cape should have received six seasons and a movie. :)

9. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Pity this show didn't get a chance. It had potential.
    Could have been really great.
    Guess it was just too weird for the "Play it safe" mainstream marketing execs at the network.