main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Cave-A Domain Of Evil It Is. In, The haters Must Go (The Official haters' Sanctuary)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jedi Merkurian , Dec 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    I'll redirect the question straight at yourself.

Doesn't matter how many times I watch Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress, the only element Lucas obviously adopted for ANH is the bickering between the two peasants that would sort of become Artoo and Threepio.
    Considering the characters are still totally different doesn't remotely qualify as "stealing", IMHO. I think this is rather an example of being inspired ("I'd like to have two bickering guys like that in my movie") in contrast to an obvious "theft" (e.g. Chewie's Tarzan cry in ROJ).

The rest of the film is...well...at best Raiders of the Lost Ark where the golden treasure simply became the Ark of the Covenant.

2. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    As a reminder:

1. PT vs OT vs ST is still against the rules, whatever the thread.
    2. This is the Haters' Sanctuary. Let people dislike TFA to their hearts' content. You don't get to tell them they're wrong, at least not in this thread.

3. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Less than a third of my fifth grade class had seen ANY Star Wars film.....now I have kids all over my school, and at many public places I've visited, wearing Star Wars shirts. I only had one student who possessed what I would consider an impressive amount of SW trivia (for his age). I ended up showing them the OT in the weeks before Christmas Break so they would know what was going on in TFA.

There's even one girl at my school who consistently wears a Vader jacket.

So, say what you want about TFA, but it brought in an entirely new generation of SW fans.

TK327 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  4. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    I am happy TFA was able to do that.

But the whole unoriginal rebootquel thing that trashes the OT characters and Star Wars lore still sux. :p

guittarjedi likes this.
  5. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    And that's about the top and bottom of it. Nothing really creative or intelligent about it. It's all about the commercial drivers.

6. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    That's a bit of wishful thinking. Star Wars has been mainstream/predominant, and succesfull in the marketplace, since it came back in 1999. There's nothing to be "won back" it's just about "more money".

7. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    I would agree that TFA rehashed a lot of OT material....but then again, TFA is a bridge not only between the OT and the ST, but also between Lucas' vision and JJ's vision. Now, Rian has the opportunity to really change things up in Ep.8, having established everything they needed to in TFA.

If Rian doesn't use that opportunity, then I, too, will be disappoined.......that said, I can imagine a lot of folks not liking such changes, perhaps even arguing that doing so "trashes the OT characters and Star Wars lore", so he's really screwed either way regardless.

8. FN-2187

FN-2187 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 6, 2015
    Yeah, the script was so poor because they had to rush it, they've admitted it themselves, it's what got Ardnt fired.

9. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    yeah and it is not necessarily JJ or Kasdan's fault, but simpy due to not enough time. You can clearly see it in the first act with a perfect start and to give the characters room, but at the end of movie you can see they had to come to an end, even when not everything made sense. I only hope Rian is not suffering the same fate with his rewriting. But at least he doesn't have to start with zero again like JJ/Kasdan did. ;)

10. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    They redoubled their efforts.

MeBeJedi likes this.
  11. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Well, I wouldn't necessarily blame the script, since we're becoming aware of a lot of scenes that would have added more information......I'm guess these scenes were a victim of pacing.

nightangel likes this.
  12. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    I think you really highlight the difference, no ANH wasn't a very complex story BUT it was a story where Luke has clear motivation beyond fighting the badguys because the bad guys are in immediate threat to him. Luke dreams of becoming a great pilot and expanding his horizons, wanst to become a hero rescuring a princess and also wants to follow in his fathers footsteps and learn the ways of the force, again not massively complex but he's not just fighting for his life. When Obi Wan dies for example Luke cares about him partly because the character has become a link to his father and his path to the future, when Han dies we care because its Han from the OT.

Rey had potential motivations but really Abrams did a very poor job of giving them much build up which I think comes back to my latter point. I suspect Abrams introduces such elements but doesn't develop them well because he knows much of the fanbase who want a quality film will latch onto them and invent depth of their own. Again I think people become so committed to wanting to love a film if they've been hyped enough and argued enough in favour of it that they will build it into something its not if you give them a few threads to work with.

I'll say it again if your basing your arguments of major character motivations on a few subtle moments and "subtext" then I think its a clear sign your argument is weak. This just isn't the way Starwars films have ever been made and its certainly not the way TFA is made, to listen to some arguments here you'd think this was Blade Runner not an Abrams thrill ride blockbuster.

13. Collin Tongue

Collin Tongue Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 8, 2016

If your barometer for success is that it wasn't as bad in SOME regards as Jar Jar Binks/child Anakin aka "Annie"(wtf Lucas?), the horrifically wooden padme/anakin love scenes complete with frolicking in the fields(literally) and a whole host of other absurd prequel moments, we are in trouble as an audience. "It didn't totally suck, give JJ an A!"

And in tons of ways, I'd argue the prequels are far better in their own right.

14. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000

I don't know which would be worse: Luke getting killed in Episode 8/9, or people defending it.

15. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    [​IMG]

Here's where TFA currently stands right now. So, if what you say is true, then it seems the fanbase is more to blame than JJ is.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  16. FN-2187

FN-2187 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 6, 2015
    Yeah, hopefully he gets the time to write a great script. Everyone seemed to be raving about the script he already had (not sure if that's a good thing coming from JJ and Kasdan). They're all saying it's different and I really want that to be the case. I'll be really disappointed if it's just a retread of Empire.

17. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    yeah would be the most terrible movie it Luke already dies in VIII. I could accept if he dies at the end of IX though, when he had time to restore the Jedi order. ;)

18. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    There is a very clear warning above not to turn this into a PT vs OT vs ST debate. It's also in a banner at the top of the forum. Please follow it.

19. guittarjedi

guittarjedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    I blame both. I blame Disney and JJ for cranking out "Star Wars for Dummies: X Box Edition" and I blame the fans for financially rewarding a complete rehash.

20. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Maybe you should seek out a franchise with a better fan base?

TK327 likes this.
  21. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Honestly I pay little attention to the RT meter for these kinds of films anymore, its way too packed with echo chamber net geek reviewers who are dependant on advertising from studios and page hits from people who want to have there opinion confirmed rather than read an informative review. Indeed I think TFA is a perfect example of how far its legitimacy has slipped.

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    HELPFUL HINT: If you do NOT dislike The Force Awakens and you are posting in this thread you are more than likely violating our rules and should prepare to start posting in our secret forum where everyone is angry for reasons that have nothing to do with film.

23. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    it's hard to know and this is just a guess - but I don't think the fans are to blame , I think the fans are making a fair bit of criticism of this movie . the general audience is probably making it a hit , it plays to them , it's safe , there's no embarassing JJBs , it's very familiar , it's got Harrison Ford etc.

24. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    What percentage of Tfn posters do the regulars in the Basher's Sanctuary comprise? Is this a litmus test?

25. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I think I'm lost.

Dameron and Collin Tongue like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.