main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Cinematography of "The Rise of Skywalker"

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by PymParticles , Apr 14, 2019.

1. IlhamKamaruddin

IlhamKamaruddin Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2017
    Yeah TLJ was on film. There were interviews where RJ mentioned that Steve Yedlin made like a long proposal to explain the benefits of Digital and why it should be used for TLJ but RJ nicely suggested to use film. :)

2. Gallandro007

Gallandro007 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 7, 2014
    Yes agree would be suprised if it wasnt. TLJ apart from the Crait section seemed more 'Digital' but as you say hard to tell. So is it just Rogue one from the current batch that shot on digital camera?

3. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    If you film on Digital, you are locked to the digital resolution you shot with.

On modern film, you are not locked to a resolution and can benefit from future post-processing tech to bring the image quality even higher than what is possible today.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  4. Gallandro007

Gallandro007 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 7, 2014
    Just checked Solo was Digital as well.

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Solo was also shot digitally.

EDIT: Should have been a few seconds faster, and this post wouldn't be redundant. :p

6. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Yeah, I'm not overly fond of the use of slow motion in Star Wars, but I think this qualifies as a major moment so I'm fine with it. The Kylo slow motion in the forest, not so much.

7. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    https://nofilmschool.com/2018/06/rian-johnson-last-jedi

https://www.kodak.com/us/en/motion/blog/blog_post/?contentid=4295006107

8. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Star Wars needs more things like this to capture the Marvel generation.

In Marvel they routinely do things that are so crazy that not even the most powerful Jedi would be able to do. This back flip is nothing compared to Marvel craziness.

Noen likes this.
  9. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    The acrobatics I'm totally fine with. It's the over fetishizing of it with slow motion that can grate on me if it's overused.

10. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    I get the criticism, but I do think slo-mo is warranted for scenes where the action is so quick that it would be difficult to make out otherwise.

Cave of Erised and Ricardo Funes like this.
  11. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Yet this is starkly contrary to the Star Wars style as established by the original series of films. That Star Wars style as employed by Lucas was a studiously objective, documentary one. Subjective feeling was communicated subtly, within the bounds of this stylistic choice; the way a shot was composed, or the particular vantage point of the shot, might give an intended impression of subjectivity, but it could just as easily be interpreted objectively, preserving the overall fly-on-the-wall feel. The camera usually does, in fact, have a viewpoint, but it is not an obvious one. This rule was only broken very rarely, in extreme moments of emotional identification with a character, such as with the choppy slow-motion of Luke's dream duel against Vader on Dagobah, or Anakin's trippy vision of Padme's death in Revenge of the Sith. I have a hard time seeing how a simple shot of Rey watching a speeder approach could come anywhere close to comparing with the importance of these moments, especially when this style is positively ubiquitous throughout Abrams' films (as evidenced by the extremely active camera on display in every shot posted in the OP), rendering it commonplace and robbing it of its potency.

Just compare this scene with the famous "Ruminations" scene in Revenge of the Sith, commonly considered to be one of the most masterful and emotionally resonant scenes in the series. Lucas accomplishes this feeling of extreme yearning and emotional connection using nothing but close-up shots of the characters and slow zoom-ins on buildings from a distance. Just as you'd expect from Lucas, it's a very restrained choice which minimizes the audience's awareness of the camera's independent existence as much as possible, allowing the viewer to feel as if they are direct observers rather than observers being guided by an intervening interpreter.

There many ways that Abrams could have communicated the idea of Rey straining to observe an object in the distance (Lucas and his collaborators did this many times in the films they directed). The way Abrams did it here is the most showy and least artful way. Every fresh-faced film student is obsessed with techniques like shallow focus and rack focus, because these techniques are novel to them and they strike them as the most obvious ways to make a shot more "dynamic" or "film-like." It is only with experience and learned discipline that they come to a greater understanding of subtler techniques and stop relying so much on in-your-face gimmicks. This is the big difference between a guy like Lucas, who had to fight his way to the top based on nothing but his own skill and knowledge, and a guy like Abrams, who in my opinion achieved success far out of proportion to his actual abilities based largely on his willingness to play ball with the major studios on their established franchise pictures. Abrams is not a terrible filmmaker, but he is also not a notably good one. He takes shortcuts and demonstrates many novice habits that were never unlearned, because he never had to unlearn them in order to become a top filmmaker.

It takes a very good filmmaker to understand that this

[​IMG]

is a better shot than this

[​IMG]

The first passes by without fanfare but masterfully executes its intended function. The second loudly announces its presence and begs you to applaud while tending to do nothing to benefit the larger film. The first requires thought and a genuine, holistic understanding of motion picture storytelling. The second requires that you understand basic framing and composition and have the technical ability to execute a certain camera technique. It's the difference between being Ringo Starr and being a technically proficient show-off drummer who would absolutely ruin any Beatles song they touched.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  12. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    We don't even know the context yet.

Cave of Erised likes this.
  13. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    I don't particularly care. It's a really ugly shot. Unless Rey is literally on drugs, or suffering from a break with reality, I can't imagine any justification for it. And even then I would think this particular implementation of this particular technique is going way too far.

And I think we all know, deep down in our hearts, that this is nothing more than a dramatic moment. Abrams shot it this way because he thought it would make it more dramatic. That's what he does. How do I know this? Well, I've watched several J.J. Abrams movies. Seems pretty fair to me.

14. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    I like how early she senses it and is prepared. She doesn't need to see with her eyes. Makes me want to know what led to it and where it is going.

But I am not a movie buff.
    I'm more into the story, if that is a satisfying continuation I'm sold.

You are entitled to your opinion.

I think he is trying harder with this film, really.
    There is a lot for him to work with.
    The sheer scope of a nine movie story. Aren't you a little curious if they pull it off?

15. IlhamKamaruddin

IlhamKamaruddin Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2017
    Anyone have info on what cameras were being used to shoot Episode IX?
    Any IMAX cameras usage?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  16. Lost_Hope

Lost_Hope Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 15, 2018
    I agree with you completely, but I wouldn't call it "ugly". It's just extremely mediocre and lazy, so basically like JJ as filmmaker.

Starwarsisover likes this.
  17. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Not anything as of yet. I’d expect Mindel to give a couple of interviews closer to release where he’ll talk about what he used.

MarcJordan and IlhamKamaruddin like this.
  18. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    That Rey v. TIE scene would be incredible in full IMAX.

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  19. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    I don't like Abrams' cinematography. It feels generic. But I like the colors we see in the trailer.

20. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I also prefer a more cinema verite/ fly on the wall/ objective vs. emotionally manipulative approach to filmmaking (which is a large part of why I prefer Rogue One’s/ Greig Fraser’s cinematography to that in the ST). It’s also why I have this enduring fantasy of David Lean making the Lord of the Rings films in a decidedly less emotionally domineering and melodramatic style than Peter Jackson. But your “it takes a very good filmmaker to understand” line is laughably arrogant. Just be honest and state that you prefer a particular style of filmmaking over another. Your view on the matter is not objectively correct.

21. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    It is my opinion that one style of filmmaking is superior to the other. As always in discussions about such fundamentally subjective matters as art, this should be read as implicit without my always having to state "In my very humble opinion" before literally everything I say. Your criticism of me on this point is not in any way valid or useful. It is simply annoying.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    Starwarsisover likes this.
  22. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I suspect most will agree on which critique is the annoying one.

avcpl and heels1785 like this.
  23. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    I'm wondering if the slo-mo Rey jump is only slo-mo for the sake of the trailer. Hopefully in the film we get this action scene full-speed. I suspect we will.

Jo Lucas likes this.
  24. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
  25. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    MOD EDIT: Content removed at posters request.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2019