main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Cohesion/Direction/Structure Of The ST & It's Pros & Cons

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Tyrian, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Well, for one thing, Vader realized that he had become a monster and carried out his own sentence while also having a far more difficult past than Ben ever did. That's kind of the ultimate difference, really. Anakin could have felt like his past justified his actions but he didn't. Ben, on the other hand, is the worst kind of human being that can exist. The kind of person who is practically born into affluence and then only hungers for more. In this sense, he's more similar to the Emperor than Vader. He just cries more about it. I mean, you could just as easily argue that Palpatine transformed the galaxy into his image as well.

2. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Again, this all makes the OT, by itself, just as terrible by this standard.

You're basically saying that Vader is more sympathetic because of his past, even though Vader committed far, far more crimes than Kylo has at this point? That doesn't make any sense.

Strategize and Lost_Hope like this.
  3. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    He literally commits the same kinds of crimes and they yield equally (if not more) devastating results.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  4. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Kylo has been in the Unknown Regions for 6 years.

Vader was the enforcer of the Empire for over 20 years.

Even by the numbers we see killed Vader exceeds Kylo easily.

5. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    The First Order also wiped out an entire solar system in the blink of an eye. Clearly, they're doing a good job of outdoing their predecessors.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Vader in ANH and ESB owned his behavior. He did not pretend that he was “sad” about “having” to behave that way while refusing to make any changes. For that reason I have more respect for Vader.

7. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    If we are going to blame someone for everything their regime does (I think it should be specified to things they knew about) then you have to account for the fact Vader oversaw 20 years of imperial atrocity.

I simply can't see how Vader could be thought of as any better than Kylo Ren.

Lost_Hope likes this.
  8. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Aren't Hux, Ben and Snoke practically the inner circle of the First Order? If he was at Nuremberg, he'd be among the first to hang for that very reason.

It's not that one is more moral than the other. It's just that one is less viscerally insulting than the other. Vader fully understands that he is the aggressor while Ben doesn't. He just mopes.

9. KembaSkywalker

KembaSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 16, 2016
    There is still one more film in this trilogy. Seems there are a lot of complaints about Ben not owning up or taking responsibility for his horrendous actions. Vader didn't do any of that in ANH or TESB, he more so just attributed it to the dark side being more powerful. It's very clear that a Ben Solo redemption has been hinted upon throughout the first two installments through various scenes highlighting that Ben's humanity is still there. We could just wait for the trilogy to wrap up before concluding that Ben never took any responsibility for his crimes.

Lost_Hope likes this.
  10. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Yes, but so would Vader.

One is clearly more comfortable with his position and the other isn't. Just like in the same way Anakin was 'whining' about it in ROTS. I don't understand how Vader is more sympathetic in ROTS?

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Actually he did. He never commented about the “dark side being more powerful” until ROTJ and that was more an excuse for not going along with Luke than an excuse for choking Needa and Antilles or blowing up Alderaan.

If he had blown up Alderaan and then complained that Bail Organa made him sad, he would have been more on par with Kylo Ren.

wobbits, Blastaar, Jedi Jessy and 4 others like this.
  12. Strategize

Strategize Jedi Master star 3

Dec 18, 2017
    Why are people acting as if Ben doesn't know he's doing bad things? He literally admits as such to Rey "You're a monster" "Yes I am".

He's only shown clear guilt about one act so far, and that's killing Han.

13. KembaSkywalker

KembaSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 16, 2016
    [​IMG]

Can you give an example? Kind of confused as to what you mean by owned up to his crimes. It's kind of meaningless if he keeps committing them. Worse, IMO.

Can you give me an example of where Kylo Ren complained that he was sad after the Hosnian System blew up?

Hehe, I was literally just typing that and your comment showed up.

14. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    They’re both incredibly cruel and murderous. Vader, thanks to the prequels, was dopey and because of that is more tragic without a doubt. He’s like Reek from Game of Thrones if Reek was physically imposing and incredibly powerful because both he and Reek are basically programmed like dogs for their masters into shallow shells who will do whatever they’re told.

Anakin was incredibly powerful and talented obviously but he fell hook line and sinker for Palpatine’s poorly explained pitch of saving Padme and Palpatine’s pathetic “Help, I’ve fallen and I can’t get up routine” and goes from “He must stand trial” to “I will be your personal executioner for the rest of my life starting with Jedi children.” He became a glorified hitman and even told his own son “the Emperor is your new Master now” for a time.

Ben Solo is more all of his bloodline combining in strange ways. He has his dad’s opportunism, willingness to attack first, his mother’s drive, ability to influence others, and willingness to let others underestimate her to their own demise, and his grandfather’s emotional frailty and a lot of his power. That is a compelling mix for a villain. Equally compelling is that he has the same weakness for beautiful and strong brunettes his Grandfather and Father had. Where that leads with him we will have to see in IX. I do think he’s less further down the path and set in his ways than Anakin was at the age of the OT. Not much closer but slightly closer. He also seems more focused on having the power to build something new while ending all of the old factions. Including the Sith.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  15. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I don't know if I'd say Vader was ever more sympathetic in the OT (until the very end of ROTJ) or even ROTS, but I might argue that Vader was used better in a functional character sense as an antagonist then as a protagonist in his previous movies than Kylo (and several other characters) got in TLJ, or even what Kylo got in TFA.

Since I heard that apparently TLJ's Blu-Ray release will include 14 deleted scenes, I'm guessing we'll find a few of them significantly impact the story and character arcs. Not that such an abundance of material is unusual; all the Lucas films and Rogue One (and from what we're hearing, Solo as well) have a massive amount of content, concepts, and original plans that is weeded through to produce the final product. And that makes sense; Star Wars is traditionally an ensemble story (thus, more character arcs are needed) with an immense amount of world-building and an epic story. This is not a light weight franchise.

I'd argue maybe the biggest functional issue TLJ has is that it has too many ideas for too little time across the film, even with its long running time, probably stemming from RJ doing the same thing Lucas did more than once and getting over-burdened.

For the coherence argument, think about how much slimmer TFA was and how it treated it's characters in a functional sense. Finn was by and large the main film protagonist for TFA: his character arc was front and center, and arguably the only one to be constantly dynamic from scene to scene. Rey and Kylo Ren are also protagonists, but there biggest character moments are in the latter half of the film, and largely after Finn has completed his transformation into a heroic character; the first part of the film treaties Kylo mostly as just an antagonist and Rey is initially defined by her static characterization, so both can afford to be largely mysterious on a functional level until they finally force each other to change in the last act, when Finn becomes the static one. This leads to both Rey and Finn being given more of a "set-up" arc; their actual character arcs in TFA are actually rather short and simple, because they're planting the seeds for larger arcs in TLJ. And every other character is confined to a strictly functional supporting role; there is no designated comedic relief, Poe is a genuinely more incidental character than a major star, and Han and Leia are both supporting the stories for our new generation, particularly Han.

Then we cut to TLJ. Immediately. We have a significantly different protagonists setup: Rey, Luke, Kylo, Finn, *and* Poe are all protagonists. That's why it's got the long run time. But it's also why so many different "haters" can find different areas to attack the film on. As a Finn fan, I find I have zero interest in the Space Chase scenes starring Poe because it seems to chop up and render what story Finn has impotent, since the film works to render his adventure largely menaingless to the meta-narrative and bears numerous signs of being abridged form of a better story. In effect, Finn's been demoted in importance and quality of story so that minor character Poe can learn a lesson in a badly plotted story. Rey is arguably supposed to be ascending to the role of main character here, but RJ decides to repeat one sequence from TFA (Maz Kanata helping Rey confront being abandoned on Jakku) for her personal story and ends that right as it gets interesting, because he has to devote time to Kylo's story and rushed connection to Rey. And Kylo gets hurt as a protagonist because his motivation is briefly and barely touched on as simple banal ambition, which makes him feel shallow when Driver's performance is trying to plum it for depth. It could be expanded by going into how Snoke corrupted him, but the film isn't interested and more importantly, doesn't have time for that.

Which leaves us with Luke, who proves that JJ Abrams was right to fear he'd take over the story. Luke's got the one story I can kind of get behind, but again, the time crunch means that it still feels undercooked to me; Luke displays none of the "temptation" for helping the Galaxy again in a situation where it's arguably morally obligatory that he would do so. And because the film short changed Kylo, it's alos kind of shortchanged Luke as well, because they had to trim the big dramatic reveal to a scenario that, on its own, seems questionable for Luke, Kylo, and the Galaxy to accept.

And on top of all this, the overstuffed story won't even touch the interesting ramifications of TFA's events in the GFFA at large, because that's probably one ball too many to even try to juggle.

In summary, I think that while TFA could kind of use its mystery boxes because it was designed to use them to force the audience to follow the clear line of Finn's story until they were ready to unwrap just a bit of them, the final TLJ film never quite executes any one single story element well enough to feel like it's quite got the depths any single story needs. Kylo's torn between the brief characterization of an antagonist but has an over abundance of protagonist elements.

Ren Kylo, mlsw, La Calavera and 4 others like this.
  16. robotical712

robotical712 Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 13, 2017
    The Vader revelation works so well because, up until that point, Luke's father had been built up as a great hero in both Luke's and the audience's minds to that point. That buildup also sets up Anakin's return to the light beautifully as it's a return to the man he once was. Kylo, on the other hand, hasn't been built up as anything but a spoiled brat. It's hard to find him sympathetic, because there's never been any real indication he was ever a different person. Worse, while Kylo shows conflict, he frequently makes the worst possible choice anyway. Other than being the son of Han and Leia, I have absolutely no reason to expect or want him 'saved' any more than Hux or Snoke.

The Emperor worked in the OT because he was the architect of the setting we were thrust into. That he had no backstory worked because neither did anything else. The lack of explanation for Snoke, on the other hand, doesn't work precisely because the earlier six films exist. At the end of Return of the Jedi we see our heros celebrating the defeat of the bad guys. Fast forward to TFA and suddenly we learn some incredibly powerful dark side user named Snoke managed to tear about the Skywalker family, corrupt the next generation and scatter the rest while becoming the head of a large neo-Imperial group, despite having no foreshadowing in the earlier movies.

17. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Pretty sure you can’t be a Dark Sider against your will. Ben Solo isn’t under some sort of curse. He has agency and choice. THAT is how the Force works...

18. JDN21

JDN21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    Precisely, and I don't know why people can't grasp this. It is so out of whack with the rest of the saga. The jump from ROTJ to TFA practically says: "Yeah, all that stuff about the Rebels defeating the Emperor and his Empire...well that didn't really make any difference, and now we have a new Emperor figure for some reason, but we don't need to explain it".

19. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    As a starting point for analysis, I think we can all agree that Snoke is quite clearly older than the 30 years that passed since ROTJ.

I also find very reasonable to say that there is a very high chance that Snoke knew the Dark Side for more than 30 years, which would put him as contemporary with Sidious.

Nobody knew or felt Snoke in the Force during that time. The explanation for this can only be two: either he was too far hidden in the Unknown Regions, waiting for his chance, or Sidious felt a presence in the unknown regions but was not able to investigate it completely.

I am willing to bet on the first option, that he was hiding in the unknown regions, far away from all other Force users, waiting for the perfect time to start his plan.

In my point of view, there is no need for an explanation for Snoke, he was just there. His existence does not invalidate the other six movies, not at all.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  20. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    "The dark side clouds everything."

21. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Even the audience.

JDN21 likes this.
  22. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    I was jokingly referring to the oft played joker when justifying the entire Republic era Jedi order's lack of vision.

"Unknown regions" is good enough. The old republic did not consider there to be anything dangerous there, as proved by the millennium of having no contingency(republic army) in case something did emerge.

23. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Yes, but they had a reasonable amount of time to acquire such complacency. They were lulled into a false sense of security.

-LordSkywalker- likes this.
  24. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    And nothing has emerged to shake that security about what's out there. The Imperials have been tucked away there for that reason.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  25. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    When Sheev has been built up as the ultimate big bad over six movies, and his rise and fall chronicled, and Vader's story as well. But then this new guy shows up doing the same kind of stuff, but you don't bother to explain anything about him and where he's been, yes you DO need to delve more deeply into it, especially if you're saying that he's more powerful than Sheev and Vader.

I call it what it is, he's a lazy plot device for lazy writing, and that's the thing about the ST. It's "OT-lite, but more rushed, not as well set-up. and less interesting."