main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The CT Scene Write/Rewrite Contest: Game 24 (Super Game 3) - Kyle Katarn's Rebel Mission

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Brandon Rhea, Dec 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediXManSerenaKenobi

JediXManSerenaKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 27, 2007
    When will the next challenge be up?

2. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    I don't know. I'm working on some new ideas to revamp the game and I'm waiting for a mod to respond to my initial PM.

3. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    The CT Scene Write/Rewrite Contest will return on the evening of Tuesday, March 11th. The next challenge, which will be Game 24, will be a scene revolving around Kyle Katarn.

4. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    As a reminder, the CT Scene Write/Rewrite Contest will return one week from tonight with Game 24 revolving around Kyle Katarn.

5. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    I hate to have to triple post, but the game returns TOMORROW with a scene about Kyle Katarn!

6. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    And our amazingly awesome game returns with:

The CT Scene Write/Rewrite Contest: Game 24 (Super Game 3) - Kyle Katarn's Rebel Mission

Soon after the Battle of Yavin, Mon Mothma asked Kyle to investigate the destruction of Tak Base resulting from the Battle of Talay. Kyle accepted, and took on Jan Ors as his mission officer. Kyle's investigation revealed the Imperial Dark Trooper project, led by Clone Wars veteran General Rom Mohc. Several clues led Katarn to Anoat, where he captured Moff Rebus, an infamous Imperial weapons engineer. After raiding a testing facility for phrik on the planet Fest, Kyle was led to the Gromas system, where said mineral was being mined and the first stage of the Dark Trooper was manufactured. After destroying the facility, Kyle had to rescue Crix Madine from an Imperial detention center on Orinackra and traveled to the Ramsees Hed docking port on Cal-Seti. There, he was able to track a smuggling ship that was making runs to the frozen planet of Anteevy, where the second stage of Dark Trooper construction was being completed. Kyle destroyed the facility on Anteevy and was led to Nar Shaddaa, where he located a nav card describing the activities of all the smugglers involved in the Dark Trooper project. Upon leaving the planet, though, Jan and he were briefly captured by Jabba the Hutt.

Kyle was able to regain the card, rescue Jan, and escape Jabba's space cruiser. Katarn and Ors infiltrated the ISO building on Coruscant, where he was able to decode the nav card. He also fought and defeated Boba Fett there. Using the new information from the card, Kyle and Jan tracked one of the smuggler ships to the Refueling Station Ergo. Kyle hijacked this ship and used it to sneak onto the Executor, which was the only ship that knew where the Arc Hammer could be found. Once on board, he smuggled himself aboard the Arc Hammer, where the third and final stage of the Dark Trooper was being manufactured. After a battle against General Mohc in the only Dark Trooper Phase III exoskeleton in existence, he proceeded to blow up the Arc Hammer and escape, destroying the Dark Trooper Project for good. In gratitude for his bravery, Mon Mothma awarded him the Star of Alderaan.
    - From Kyle Katarn on Wookieepedia: The Star Wars Wiki

This challenge is to be based off of this event in Kyle Katarn's life in the Rebel Alliance. You don't have to do it exactly as it happened in canon and you certainly don't have to do that entire thing if you don't want to, but I personally am challenging you to do it. So, here are your options:

1) Take a piece of that event and write on scene off of it;
    2) Take that entire event and write one massive scene off of it.

It's up to you which one of those two options you'd like to go with, but those are your two options. This is a rather lengthy project here, so I'm going to give you a week and a half and say that all scenes must be posted by Friday, March 21 at 11:59pm Board Time/Pacific Standard Time. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Good luck! :)

7. rpvee

rpvee Jedi Master star 3

Feb 23, 2007
    Um... hi. It's been a while.

8. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    Indeed. Still interested in participating?

9. rpvee

rpvee Jedi Master star 3

Feb 23, 2007
    You mean writing a scene, or resuming the job of co-host?

10. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    Writing scenes. After such a long hiatus, we're not in the position to really have multiple hosts right now.

11. rpvee

rpvee Jedi Master star 3

Feb 23, 2007
    What?! So just like that, I don't have the duty anymore?!

12. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    This isn't an appropriate place to discuss this, really. If you wish to do it via PMs, you're more than welcome.

13. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    Please be aware that the deadline for submitting a scene is tomorrow night (Friday) at 11:59 pm Board/Pacific Standard Time. The deadline will not (repeat: will not) be extended like in previous games.

14. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    The deadline for submitting scenes has now come and gone, and like I said there will be no deadline extensions this round.

An announcement regarding the future of this game is coming soon.

15. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    I've been thinking a lot about this game, and I have some suggestions. I thought about PMing them, but I decided to post them here. Maybe (if there's still enough intrest to do so) we can get some discussion about the game and its future and structure going.

1. Stick only to scenes and characters that come from the movies, or completely original, non-EU scenes and characters. This is one of the reasons that I haven't done much the past couple games. Scenes involving Kyle Katarn and Dash Rendar, a big reason I didn't write anything is that I don't know the characters very well. I've played Dark Forces, but that was years ago, and I haven't reaqd much of anything involving Dash Rendar. Sure, you can argure that I have the freedom to do what I want with the character, but if I'm someone who's reading the entires, and I see one that protrays the character as he has been prtrayed in the EU, and one who protrays him differently, I'm going to be inclined to vote for the one first one. Stories that involve scenes and characters from the movies just seem to work better, because we all know them backwards and forwards. Or, scenes that allow us to create completely new characters (Such as the scene of stealing the orginal Death Star plans).

2. This one is tougher (for a few reasons). But I'm wondering if there's a better way to post suggestions, for a couple reasons. One, someone might come in first and just write a completely kick ass story. They post it, and then other people come into the thread and read the story, and possibly get discouraged. They don't think they would stand a chance against the story that's already there, and lose desire to continue. Kind of an: "I can't compete with that story, there's no point in trying." The second reason is to take out of the equation the possible accusations of plagarism. Another reason I haven't had much enthuiasm for the game recently. Its a major thing to be accused of plagarism. If its not true, it hurts, probably the worst thing you can accuse a writer of. But its also a valid concern. The only way I can see to get around it is to PM the stories to someone, jedimasterbac , or who ever is hosting the game, or even a special sock set up to receive them. Then all the entries are posted in the thread once the time period is up. That would eliminate both scenarios.

But, those are just my thoughts, and they may be too little too late. But, there you go.

16. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I'd love to hear for how many people the part about getting discouraged by strong early stories is true. That could definitely be taken into consideration then. Only, for activity's sake, we could maybe (let people) post a short teaser-paragraph everytime.

17. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    So, a month and some days later, is this going to continue?

18. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    It's currently on hiatus due to lack of participation. We'll pick it up again later down the road.

19. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Well, perhaps if the challenges were more often, there would be more participation

20. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    We had challenges all the time and there was very little participation. We gave it some time to cool down about a month and a half ago and I advertised it across the boards where I could, including Fan Fic - Saga, Fan Fic - Resource, CT and Communications. No one participated. For that reason, we're keeping this in hiatus for awhile.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.