main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The DC Animated Universe Thread (The Timmverse & Beyond)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Sn4tcH, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Looks like there is even more.

DC offical confirmed New Frontier, Death of Superman (which is a based on thing not a straight adaptation as it would be a difficult thing), and The Judas Contract which introduced Nightwing.

2. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Well they won't be part of the official DCAU universe as they're official adaptions from comic book still Bruce Timm will be supervising them. Looking forward to it.

3. ComicDiva

ComicDiva Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2004
    Batman: Face it Clark. last time you inspired anybody, was when you died.

If I can see that moment transfered to animation, i will probably die of a geekgasm. :)

4. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    i would love to see that line in the animated series

5. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Sure they will. They probably won't fit in the continuty of the Timmverse (though theoretical I guess a few of them could) but they're animated and they're in the DC Universe so...

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    These animated films will be their own continuity. Based off stories in a more direct way than what was done in the Timmverse. But they will not be connected to any pre-existing animated series.

7. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    So, this is probably DCs rebuttal to what Marvels been doing with their animated features. Just taking good storylines from the comics and animating them. And considering I liked the Avengers movie, I just like this idea in general.

8. ComicDiva

Oct 27, 2004
    I should think that the Avengers movie is actually a rebuttal to WB's Justice League series. And even before that, there had been plenty of comic books stories integrated into cartoon shows.

Superman TAS episodes Speed demons and In brightest day come to mind.

But then again, Marvel did start all this with their very faithful cartoon shows, X-men TAS and Spiderman TAS. Justice League just updated and brought the concept of superhero animated shows into the spotlight.

9. weezer

May 16, 2001
    I think that his point was that while both companies have had animated series loosely based the comic continuity in the past Marvel was the first one that stared doing straight adaptations for the direct to DVD format.

I kind of see it as a response to the Mavel's Ultimate Avengers release as well. You can never really be sure with those type of things though. With differences in production times both could of come up with the same thing around the same time and one just beat the other to market. Its the whole Shark Tale/Nemo, Wild/Madagascar thing.

I think its the natural progression for both companies and both were going to do it sooner or later anyways. The target market for comics hasn't been kids for decades so it makes sense that the cartoons stop being that way as well. The direct to DVD format makes it cheaper, easier, and more profitable to tell those stores that would have to be split into several episodes if done for TV.

10. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I think DiDio said that these films are in response to Ultimate Avengers. So, yeah, I'd say its a fair assessment. X-Men and Batman both started at the same time roughly in 92. But all that came out were in response to each other, but also their desire to go into these areas. Marvel was facing bankruptcy and trying to get away from there. DC and WB were just capitalizing on their success.

11. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    I was always hoping they'd take on the Death of Superman storyline in the old animated series.

12. Joshiehewls04

Joshiehewls04 Jedi Youngling

Jul 19, 2006
    The kinda did in the JL episode, "Hereafter." It wasn't exactly like The Death of Superman, but you could tell they were hinting at it.

13. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Nothing like Superman the Barbarian meeting an insane Vandal Savage. Man, that episode kicked.

Loved Batman's words to the memorial, though. ANd Wonder Woman... "I'm going to punch a hole in your head."

The Flash's moments of insight were great, too.

14. weezer

May 16, 2001
    DC gave SHH a copy of the press release.

Looks like Timm will only be involved in one.

15. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Dini, Timm and Burnett said back in 96 that they weren't going to Doomsday unless they did him their way. It's why they didn't use Bane until season three/volume three of Batman. No story had come up to justify Doomsday on Superman, so it would be until JL that they found a way to use him. "Hereafter" was just their way of doing his death, without going through the whole ordeal of actually killing and reviving him.

16. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    I can't wait to see it.

By the way, I was watching Krypto with my daughter last night and saw that at least one episode was written by Timm and Dini. Does that mean Superdog is also in continuity with the Timmverse? Interesting that when Superman appeared, he looked like a cross between the Animated Series and Brandon Routh.

17. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Yeah, Krypto is part of the main DCAU universe. Despite it's being geared towards kids. Even when the show is like this or Teen Titans, it's part of what's been established for the older audiences.

18. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    Then can someone please explain to me the cat Streaker? I mean, even my 3 year old recognized that he was supposed to be reminiscent of The Flash (she watches my JL DVDs with me), but when and how did he get the ability to fly? It wasn't covered on my DVD.

19. weezer

May 16, 2001
    The coolest thing about Krypto is that they are all canonical DC characters.

Streaky the Supercat was originally Supergirl's cat who was exposed to x-kryptonite which gave him super powers. In the cartoon he was given the powers when he crashed into a duplicator laser that bounced off Krypto giving Streaky some of the same powers.

Now if you want to get super geeky Streaky is one of the few things from the show that contradicts what was going on in the Timmverse. Krypto was mentioned but it was past tense so it could theoretically fit. Streaky on the other hand is shown several times being the Kent's farm cat so you'd have to write it off as being a different cat with the same markings or that the Kent's gave the cat away for some reason [face_thinking]

20. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    I saw Krypto the SUperdog a few times. Not the worst thing I've ever seen, but not my thing.

So... obviously JLU included a lot of other DC superheors, but who wasn't there that you would've liked to see, otr their roles expanded? I'd have killed to see the Golden Age JSA team up with their modern counterparts, myself.

21. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    I don't know which is worse. That someone took the time to compile the history of Streaky the Supercat or that I actually clicked over and read the whole thing.

22. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    i watched one episode of krypto and went catatonic. days later they were able to bring my mind out of stasis.

i agree, hereafter rocked!

23. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    There are some [i[strange[/i] wiki articles I've found... And so did I.

24. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

"Legends" in season one was supposed to be the JSA. But with the title going through a new resurgence and because the show played up the fun of the older stories, DC said no to it. So the Justice Guild was created to pay homage to the JSA. But yeah, the actual JSA would've been cool. Though, you do see members of the modern team. I'm just glad they put Waverider in for "The Once & Future Thing". One of my favorite characters.

25. ComicDiva

Oct 27, 2004
    Really? The only time I remember seeing Waverider is in "Initiation" somewhere in the background.

One of my favourite second string voice actors in JLU has to be Jeremy Piven. His Elongated man, even brifly seen, was a show steeler.
    "The squeaky wheel gets the grease, my friend"
    :)

But I love Piven in anything so... :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.