main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Empire's future: the First Order, or the Fel Dynasty & Imperial Knights?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ghost, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    [​IMG]

2. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I don't have the book with me but I'll get back to you on it.

3. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    ...the Fels are a farming family not too far back, and not even the rich planter kind.

4. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    She had a pop at Luke over it in Destiny’s Way, and she even hissed at Ben’s photo, when Luke showed it to her as a ‘how is this a threat in a galaxy with the Yuuzhan Vong in it?’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ghost likes this.
  5. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Yeah I recall how Luke and Mara leave dinner going "what was that all about, what's her deal" which shows Sith retcon and Vergere's ethereal smokescreen character aside how different the old Jedi order are from Luke's order.

6. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    How does that show a Sith retcon?

7. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    It doesn't my point was that Vergere was distinct from Luke's order the retcon taken into account or not.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Exactly... I do not remember her saying it was a good idea, or that it had been done before. Quite the opposite.

9. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Very much the opposite.

Ghost likes this.
  10. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    She stated that the Jedi of old forbid marriage to prevent Jedi dynasties.

Given that this rule was not always in place in the Jedi's 36,000 year history it is implausible to me that at some point or another powerful lineages of Jedi did exist.

For example a grand master would pass on the rank to his son or daughter, etc...

I imagine the anti marriage rule was reactive rather than proactive in this regard-Jedi dynasties ruled the order and then the Jedi collectively realized this wasn't a good thing and banned marriages all together to prevent this.

It's not explicitly stated in the text but I'm using both the implication of Vergere's words and emotional reaction and what we know about the history of the Jed in legends-call it head canon based on reasonable extrapolation.

Summary: Jedi dynasties did exist in the order's history, the no marriage rule was created to solve this problem, and Vergere is referring to this.

But that's my extrapolation and supposition based interpretation anyway.

11. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    The Sunrider family would count.

The one which birthed the Covenant, as well. EDIT: The Draay family, I remember.

I generally took it that the Order became more centralised after Exar Kun, and even moreso after the Purge by Darth Traya.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    DarthJaceus, kalzeth and PCCViking like this.
  12. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    True-and it likely became even moreso after the Ruusan reformation and the end of the new sith wars.

And yeah you bring up noted families of Jedi in the old republic. And executor sedriss was descended from Ulic Qel Droma somehow as well.

I suspect the policy was made for the sake of preventing Jedi dynasties from controlling the order-an institutional decision rather than a moral or philosophical one-though by the prequel era that was the standard rationale as the Jedi had become more stoic and clinical.

kalzeth and Sinrebirth like this.
  13. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    The Qel-Droma family tree was hardly a positive one, generally.

We don’t have any notable dynasties by the time of the Clone Wars, generally. I cannot think of any post-dating the Galactic Wars, either. Save for the odd Droma and Sunrider family trees.

The Draco dynasty starts around Order 66, I suppose, and of course the Skywalker, Solo and Horn dynasty’s we all know of.

14. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    There weren't any in the clone wars era becuase of the no marriage rule.

As for the galactic wars-I imagine it was around this time such ideas became more and more accepted within the order.

I can think of any such dynasties in the new Sith wars era either.

15. kalzeth

kalzeth Jedi Master star 3

Aug 26, 2017
    Didn’t the horns start in the clone wars era though?

Neeja > Hal > Corran

I think that might be the only deviation

16. Battlehymn_Republic

Battlehymn_Republic Jedi Master star 2

Oct 6, 2007
    Hey, if you've ever played Crusader Kings 2, marrying below one's station leads to a prestige hit! Not Fel's fault that there's no higher title than Galactic Felmperor.

Wouldn't be the first time the Jedi did that to a Skywalker.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  17. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    I always assumed that the rules for Corellian Jedi were a bit different, being that it's already on record that they're their own tradition that tends to do things a bit differently.

DarthJaceus and Xmaspast like this.
  18. Xmaspast

Xmaspast Jedi Padawan

Aug 4, 2015
    Corellian Jedi definitely permitted marriages so the Horn's are definitely an exception to the rule.

19. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    I mean, ‘because dynasties’ I think misses the point entirely on the celibacy rule - they’re denying themselves pleasures of the flesh so that they can be closer to God. I mean, the force.

20. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Interestingly enough, that doesn't seem to be the general rationale. The Jedi believe in no attachments-as so applied in the prequel era, but non committal sex doesn't appear to be a big no no.

If a Jedi goes to Zeltros for the weekend or has a one night stand at the nightclub after taking a break in between missions-I don't get the impression the council would care all that much.

They might frown on it, and curl their lips but it's not going to get the Jedi in question expelled from the order. Maybe given a lecture at most.

21. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    At the risk of repeating what @Ackbar's Fishsticks and @Xmaspast already said...

No, Corellian Jedi are "different". Sort of like Roman Catholic priests in the Eastern Rite areas can be married.

The Corellian Jedi are portrayed as having centuries-old local traditions which vary from the Temple standards, so the fact that they allowed marriage even in the Prequel era looks like a local survival from the pre-Ruusan period - I pretty much said as much in WARFARE.

I suppose this might be a good place to point out that we actually have a post-reboot example of a Jedi dynasty who refused to accept the Ruusan rules on not marrying, as well.

Clan Vizsla.

:D :boba:

- The Imperial Ewok

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  22. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Yeah, just in the same way that a priest who goes and has a kid is going to get reassigned: no one in 2018 is worried about papal dynasties. It's the spiritual that matters there. The same goes to the Jedi.

Like, Siri and Obi-Wan were given a stern talking too, but they weren't getting thrown out. The Jedi don't want to throw people out. Jedi are rare, and hard to get and train, and do a lot of good. They'll take a lot before they'll be fired.

23. Battlehymn_Republic

Battlehymn_Republic Jedi Master star 2

Oct 6, 2007
    What if Anakin had decided to join the Corellian order for his marriage?

24. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    If I'm not wrong, Corellia was isolationist at the time, and the Corellian Jedi were along with them. Going off to join the Corellian Jedi would've been deserting the war effort, which he didn't want to do. I'm sure he planned on revealing he was a married man after the war was won, and then prepare himself to leave the Jedi Order to be with Padme.

Battlehymn_Republic likes this.
  25. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Um, I don't think that was his plan. He wanted to be a master and pretty clearly still wanted to be a Jedi. When did he ever talk about leaving the order? He wanted the order's respect and appreciation, he wanted to be a master, that's kind of what he'd spent the past 13 years of his life aiming for.