main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit THE END...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ColeFardreamer, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Well, you can always have THE ENDS for a particular era.

For my money, Revenge of the Sith, Return of the Jedi, the Hand of Thrawn duology, and The Unifying Force were all extremely well-done THE ENDS to the prequel era, the original era, the Bantam era, and the New Jedi Order era respectively.

vong333 and Blackhole E Snoke like this.
  2. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    How satisfied were you with any Legacy comic ends? Or interim ends?

What about TOTJ/KOTOR/TOR era? This one too is a prime example for moving goalposts and endless wars.

3. Star Wars will never have an end it will be a franchise like Marvel or DC with full of different endings, reboots, spin off, and alternative universes

the only thing you can do is enjoy Star Wars following your own canon I believe that nothing in Star Wars 100% canon except the original 6 movies, the rest is each person's headcanon if you want Star Wars to end in Return of the Jedi is fine, if you want to Star Wars to end to Rise of Skywalker or NJO is fine too there is no a true answer in Star Wars

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2019
  4. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Depends on what story you consider "The End" for KOTOR

I know that many would consider Plagueis to be the official end of the TOTJ/KOTOR/TOR (Plus Bane Trilogy) era only because of how much that all connects, if I did, then...I'd say it's pretty good.

In some ways I consider Plagueis the end of Legends because of how much it ties together in general.

vong333 and ColeFardreamer like this.
  5. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I think there was a poster who considered only ANH canon, which I thought was amusing.

6. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    And you know speaking of Supernatural Encounters, one guess I've heard for Ep. IX's ending that I enjoy is Luke, Rey, and Ben ascending to Celestialhood and becoming the new Mortis Trinity.

7. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@ColeFardreamer
    Okay here is a fun END stories of Star Wars though I think @Ackbar's Fishsticks more or less listed them but I'll see if we agree

TOTJ/KOTOR/SWOTOR era end...Plagueis.

Prequel Era end- Revenge of the Sith

OT Era - Return of the Jedi

Bantam Era -Hand of Thrawn dulology

NJO Era- Unifying Force

Post NJO Era - Crucible

Legacy Era - Whatever volume of Legacy ended with

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    YJK?

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  9. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I forgot, I sorta just thought of the big ones.

10. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    Yes, please.

11. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013

TOTJ => Ulic Quel Dromas redemption comic with Vuma Sunrider for me is the best end to that arc

KOTOR => Revans fate got expanded by TOR but if new canons Sequels are anything like Revanites, then that may be a late ending to the theme of Revanites.

SWTOR => ongoing still but I still bet on the Paecian Empire being the endgame or resolution of the TOR era

Prequel Era => not ROTS, but rather the end of the second clone war or mopup operations post ROTS when TCW ship designs fully got replaced by later Imperial models as per EGTW

OT Era => ROTJ indeed

Bantam => Union Comic for the adults, YJK for next gen. Hand of Thrawn was nice and great but no true end, aside the peace accords finally too late. I like that new canon kinda condensed this into one year till Jakku. I'd have given it a few years but not 18 either.

NJO => TUF is no debate

post NJO => Crucible is an end but not the end. I'd say like with Bantam, Crucible is the end for the older generation but even there not the best it could be, while the next gen gets a later undefined end we never got aka Sword of the Jedi trilogy

Legacy era => final issue was nice but not an end to the overall era, too much left open, so I'd say my end for the Legacy era actually is the ambigious or noncanon german minibooks set 1000ABY looking back at the OT saga with tiny snippets of ultimate fates for the Falcon and families.

Supernatural encounters may also be an all era envelope that gives an ending to ascended, transcended and dead folks with penultimate post mortem redemption.

In a way, we are missing some endings where those that ended it, or rather did not end it but were last in line and thus considered endpoints, failed to be as universally praised as ROTJ or TUF as endpoints.

In a way, it would be funny to get a new CANON version of Supernatural Encounters that centers on Ezra Bridger instead of Hex. Told from the perspective of post Legacy comics/post Sequels eras by descendand. Style it like Tales from Vaders castle, which reminds me stylewise of Supernatural Encounters a lot. Framing story in future + lots of flashback tales across all eras. Once upon a time in the Force... heck you might even do it Myths and Fables style, with some stories being timeless and if told accordingly without any indications of what time it is set in (technology, governments etc. left unnamed), then you could put in any name, be it Ezra, Revan, etc. and stories retold many times over all eras fit new beings that experienced the same challenges as history repeats itself. Kinda like some rpg hooks fit any era as per intent of wotc and FFG deliberately and can be made work with any era.

What I do wonder still is, I am a fan with my personal likes, dislikes, biases etc. I craft stories and speculation for decades now but what would I not think of including that others want to see included in such stories and ends? Some are not as loving of Mortis or the Forcestuff as I am, others want a down to earth tale with more fleetjunkie and less metaphysical elements. What markers does an end to check off to appease most fans? We know Filoni has a good system ever since TCW and Lucas to include a bit of everything into one season. Some Mandos here, new trooper designs there, Forceepisodes, then some scum and villainy and the result is a decent fair mix like the movies have a fair share of everything.

So outside our own comfort zone... what else does an end need to accomplish and check off?

And another question: How many attempts at passing the torch did we have so far and how successful or not were they and why? Like ends, passing the torch is a goalpost moved frequently.

YJK worked with adults taking backseat but coming in when needed. NJO had both generations in equal ground targeting a takeover of the nextgen ultimately. The Killik crisis threw a wrench into that and LOTF rather had a failed next generation fight the older one leaving a reduced next gen for FOTJ reuniting with the old generation against a common foe. Crucible again gave the old ones a backseat of some sort but that seems to never last with these restless old rebels. The next gen sets out to do some more tasks against the enemies still at large and the galaxy basically is run by nepotism and a dynasty across all governments related. Legacy showed us what became of this as dynasties end and distant relatives reunite, adults all already with no younger next generation left to take over.

Before all that though, Jedi Academy Trilogy had a next generation unrelated to the classic heroes one attempt a takeover with Kyp and else. But he and other younger ones like Tionne trained alongside older ones like Corran and Kyle and Mara, so the next gen torch passing kinda got lost in the lack of age differences between generations and peers.

YJK #0, aka Crystal Star, I love that book, others hate it, basically gave the Solokids their specialties and character development that would birth YJK later on. Here the next gen for the first time shined and was on their own in a larger scale. Previously they only explored Coruscants underworld while still little kids or played with ancient tech in the Corellian System. Both accounts helped develop them as next gen and characters but ultimately were not as big a role as in Crystal Star where they got entire povs of their own for a larger percentage of the book. Too often were they sidelined in Bantam era books before. Jedi Academy at least had them do something like when kids defended unconscious Luke against Exar Kuns spirit. So in a way Jedi Academy was a real starting point for this next gen, with Crystal Star giving them their largest exposition yet before YJK would bank on that and have them as sole heroes.

Given lack of next gen characters and Solokid peers before YJK, there was not really much of a next gen. Even if a younger generation was presented, it usually was not much younger than Luke, Han and Leia, female and a loveinterest for Luke... but it never ended well as Yem Ysanna, Akanah, Shira, Alex Winger and many others before Mara can attest to.

New Canon in contrast develops a next gen much earlier, while the era has yet to be filled, we have Wedge retire much earlier, big three are in Aftermath books but not as heroes but on a backseat or cameo level mostly. And the movies did a direct passing of the torch which I am very glad about. Han sadly gone, Leia and Luke are epic and influential in smaller roles as fits the era and passing of a torch. All younger heroes are learning their lessons and groomed to accept the torch. Finn no longer running from it, Rose passing the ring to Broomboy who may or may not lit his broom on fire as a literal torch one day, Kylo takes the torch by Force as he kill Snoke and takes over, Rey overcoming a flawed teacher as student learns from a teacher as much as a teacher learns from its student, even Poe learning that cocky flyboy is not gonna win always growing into a leadership role Holdo groomed him for before he even met her according to IDW. One may think about TLJ whatever one wants, I love it, but especially for passing the torch and accompanying lessons and the different roles of old and young generation and their relations, it was a masterpiece.

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The problem for both KOTOR and Legacy is each was criminally curtailed, twice in Legacy's case. I like the conclusions we got but don't like how they had to happen by company fiat.

13. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I'm in a bit of minority were I love SWOTOR as a game but as a continuation of KOTOR and the un-offiacal KOTOR 3 I have problems with from a aesthetic and vibe point of view.

Plus all that Eternal Throne stuff just makes the conflict get too weird and over the top for me and not in the fun Dark Empire way.

14. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    I agree, TOR has many great moments and stories but overall it is no KOTOR 3, more like KOTOR Sequels down the line and even for that it gets a bit too repetitive and overblown with the numbers of sith running around and all the wars after wars. It has plenty of neat details though even if the bigger picture suffers.

How would you compress TOR into a KOTOR 3 frame? Or how would you do a KOTOR 3 free of TOR baggage?

I'd be glad if new canon goes to the past era and would neither retread KOTOR nor be unrelated to it. Can a KOTOR 3 in new canon work that fits Legends and new canon both and can stand on its own without KOTOR? Yet still be the KOTOR 3 to KOTOR we always wanted? As KOTOR 2 had a new hero and cast compared to KOTOR, KOTOR 3 will do so again. Heck everyone wants Rogue One in Legends and Canon.. so KOTOR 3 may work the same wonder if done right.

I liked how TOR had Revan be the father of an entire Revanite movement and legacy. Add to that Revan fanboy Darth Rivan and the timehopping Darkstaff of New Sith Wars times and one might craft an interesting story: As per TOR the Darkstaff existed during TOR already (Rise of the Hutt Cartell and Dread Masters tie into it), so what if Rivan had it because it once belonged to his idol Revan? Could a TOR era Revan have had the Darkstaff and thus power over time? Could he have returned to his family in the past? Even if briefly only? Also, how does the Darkstaff grant timetravel? Instantly or via access to the World between Worlds on specific sites?

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Darkstaff

The Darkstaff was sentient and wanted to destroy the Force as well as consume lifes and the Force too. In that regard it reminds me of Kreia/DarthTraya as well as Darth Nihilus. Given the staff collected souls too... could it be it had existed during KOTOR already and taken on personalities of all these it met? If so its backstory is more interesting than ever and it also ties to Revan long before Rivan.

In a way a timetravel gimmick like this staff might work well for TOR era as it allowes for timelineloops that basically can have any variation of the game story and player actions be canon. Likewise for KOTOR. Basically the 12 Monkeys situation for TOR and KOTOR. Unless you do Terminator and John Connor etc. trying to prevent TOR over and over again and it always only moves the timeline date and changes details but never what is coming.

As for KOTOR 3: I'd set this end after Revan vanished and feature the adult kid of him as a character, but not necessarily main character. People who knew Revan tell the kid about him from their pov and as curious kids without a father go, the kid tries to retrace daddys steps and gets in trouble. Yet it finds something about Revan others did not know or find yet. A manifest/diary detailing Revans view of the Force and given one does not know if he wrote it while Sith or Jedi, its a mix of both and might be dangerous. Yet the kids falls for it and lives by it. Along the texts the kid may or may not have found other items from Revans previous lifes. A starmap, a darkstaff maybe, maybe not, etc. and a Rakatan mindtrap. Falling prey to the mindtrap which luckily was empty and did not release a danger into the galaxy, the kid cannot escape it but it has the staff or other item that helps the kid escape. But the staff would not only get it out but get it out and to another time. Maybe the kid can visit the past and see daddy in action.. or the future and see the looking danger nobody at home would believe? Or along the path it looses the staff and has to get it back facing old and new villains? Filling in blanks in the previous timeline without changing too much or anything? It'd be a way to have lots of cameos and tie a lot together albeit with a timetravel plot like Back to the Future etc. if that is anyones cup of tea.

PS: There are other ends open or not I'd like to know more about: Zayne Carricks tales, Kerra Holts adventures, etc.

15. Xammer

Xammer Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2009
    The Crystal, actually.

16. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
  17. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@ColeFardreamer

For me it's less that TOR feels like KOTOR sequels down the line and more ....and I guess being a MMORPG that was the point, ....A Star Wars universe that was free enough that it didn't have to worry about eventually connecting to what we know and could what it wanted (Sith wars, Big wars...Jedi stuff etc etc etc...) again I get that's the point, and for a game it's great...but as part of the mainline history....It can still work....It just doesn't ...for me.

18. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    TOR has however gone back to its Jedi-Sith roots though I loved the Eternal Empire arc.

The Sith Empire ran through the traditional Unknown Regions.

It should do something with that, and discovering an ancient high-tech civilisation and rewiring it to worship a conniving Sith Emperor is brilliant fun. They drip-fed us that the Sith Emperor was busy with other things and the Unknown Regions point was subtle with the Chiss joining the Empire, with the Empire invading in the north and south simultaneously (Corporate Sector and Korriban being attacked at the same time as Sluis Van), but it was there but to have it be something truly different was a breath of fresh air.

But now? We're going to Dantooine, Ossus and Dantooine, and Corellia and a new world, Mek-Sha. It's very TotJ and KotoR.

19. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    I will say as I've said before, the LITERAL last scene of the Legendsverse was pure gold:

[​IMG]
    If someone who knows nothing about Star Wars asks you for a summary, you could just post that, I think!

20. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    What were these? Are they online anywhere?

21. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Not online, only exist in german, published in 90s by the german license holder back then, as Heyne Mini Books. They were unknown to LFL I think and more a product of the OSWFC, official star wars fanclub whose back then leader of the german club wrote them. Basically they retell the movies but add a lot more nuggets from the 90s era of books, WEG etc. to flesh out history of the Jedi and else. Framing device was a hypothetical 1000ABY setting looking back at the movie era and its people and governments. 1000ABY had the Falcon in a museum, an Organa descendant on Coruscant and more nice hints. But keep in mind it was the same era where France, Spain and else did some original foreign exclusive stuff of which not all was vetted by LFL like the rpg magazines as WEG tie ins.

Here you see covers and can google for ebay sellers:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=sta...iPPkAhUFLVAKHRpeB40Q_AUIEigC&biw=1280&bih=872

This is the old topic on them I created years ago giving a bit more intel on them:
    https://boards.theforce.net/threads...minibooks-published-only-in-germany.30472546/

I remembered the topic longer actually, but it was from before the forum moved and changed so some may have been lost in transition. If I find my old saves of the pages I will reup them somehow! But may take a while given I am still restructuring my online files for better presentation currently.

If you need the topic unlocked, ask the Mods ;)

22. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2016
    An Organa in 1000aby? This piques my genealogical interest...

1000ABY is an almost unimaginable era for me. I always disliked that one Tales comic with the destroyed C3PO that was set around there, it didn’t feel like a proper ending (if that was the intent.)

The canonical ending I hope for—as in, the definitive cap on the timeline that could be anywhere from 40aby to 1 million aby—is R2 narrating the main films to the Whills, like George said he would. It doesn’t matter when it happens, but in my mind it’s the only true ending that Star Wars could receive.

23. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I am sure we had a scene of Artoo narrating the films to kids...

... one of them took the lightsaber of Anakin up or some-such?

24. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    to some the latest entry will always be the E.T. movie, given they are a Gffa species now ;)

Personally I still go by the unused concept of circular time and the Lucasverse including Willow, American Graffitti, THX etc. all being connected... Alien Exodus for the win! Even if it is not 100% Legends compatible anymore, a version of it may still be, easily tweaked.

On the other hand, given Dr. Huyang the Jedi Lightsabermaker bot is thousands of years old, and given even HK units survived for quite long, it is feasible to have R2 and C3PO around in another trilogty set far far into the future. Add longliving species like Rotta the Hutt and we got some connective tissue. Will Rotta redeem the Hutts whose downfall started with Huttslayer Leia? Will he be the next Blotus? Rotta the Rightful?

I could see a future where the Force, Jedi etc. are all but forgotten, and the OT era is viewed upon by this future as "the time of myth and legend" with exaggerated tales of wizards and witches, dragons and the like. Only that the tales are actually true.. and a return of the Force and rediscovery of Forceuse may be immiment due to the age of technology and co threatening all life in the galaxy itself? Kinda going hand in hand paralell with the original discovery of the Force in the distant past as heroes retread the same journey and face similiar dangers and pitfalls to not awaken a new shism. This future may have no more wild space and unknown regions, all is mapped and settled. Overpopulation, oversaturation. Coruscant has evolved into a systemwide Dyson Sphere, Green Tatooine had been terraformed and sees urbanisation take the green away again.

indydefense and CernStormrunner like this.
  25. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@ColeFardreamer

You know I was thinking about wanting a "Mortis" trilogy for Ep 10-12...(Granted it doesn't have to BE Mortis literally) but...I would want 10-12 to the most spiritual of the Star Wars films we've had so far....To the point were the political spectrum is even died down further...Essenitally Rey and Co (Or the Hero's) enter the spirit realm.

(Yes I know one can never TRULY get rid of the politics of Star Wars)

However, i think it would be interesting because it would then be almost unique that when you watch Star Wars in viewing order 1- (Whatever) it gets less real world and more and more spiritual.

1-3 is the most political with spiritual elements but for the most part it's a political drama
    4-6 is sorta that sweet balance between the political and the spiritual but leans more towards the spiritual by the end.
    7-9 definitely sidelines the political (Though doesn't rid it completely) and delves deep into the spiritual (Last Jedi especially with the Force Bond and what not)

Then 10-12 is pure spiritual enter the spirit realm learn about the Force etc etc...World Between Worlds all that good stuff.

That would be just why my pitch for a more or the MOST "spiritual" Star Wars trilogy would be...at least for me.