main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Essential Atlas and Galactic Cartography: Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    ok, I have to agree with FTeik 110% that multiple authors coming up with different causes for the same effect, ie, who stole the Death Star Plans, IS annoying; however, it was NOT the original poster's part to defend any position on where the harpoon tactic came from, merely to point out that a canon source mentioned a planet the Atlas had overlooked, and that point remains valid.

Usually, canonical discrepancies are resolved with as little "trimming" as possible...ie, contradictory *parts* of a source may be invalidated WITHOUT the entire source being invalidated. Even if the harpoon tactic was not based on bola-using hunters on a planet a Rebel visited, that's no reason the planet, bolas, hunters, and Rebel visit cannot exist. Furthermore, Jason has made it clear his inclusion of a planet does not confirm every detail associated with that planet, JUST the planet's existence.

Also, there seems danger of this turning into a canon debate--all good and well, but NOT the purpose of this thread, and it would clutter it. A thread on canon, or on vehicles (I am pretty sure we have one of those), would be more appropriate for determining how the harpoon tactic was achieved;)

2. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    That reminds me, were all the planets/locations from the "ambigious canon" rpg sources added to the Atlas/Online Appendix, or were some left out?

Since we're also on the topic of controversy, which leads to ship-discussions, which leads to this: The "important system" example, from Nomad. Was this IDed at any point? Any plans to include in the Atlas? It has to be within the bounds of the Galactic Republic at least, given the focus on the Outer Rim obscure locations in the rest of the story. :)

3. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    The Atlas does include locations from ambiguously canon rpg magazines, but only from articles that were written by people who also wrote for unambiguously canon sources (mostly WEG). I'm glad that so many great places were included, but I'm unclear why the line was drawn at writers. James B. King wrote several of these articles, but none of them were included because he only drew for WEG rather than wrote.

4. Cull_Tremayne

Cull_Tremayne Jedi Master star 2

Jun 27, 2005
    Can you imagine the Altar of the Dark Side planet showing up? That would have been so cool. :D

5. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    retcon that as Droomund Kaas please... it fits, Dark Side pyramids on jungle world, check. evil force priests check, all facts fit without a single contradiction

6. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    No need to limit distinguishing features to just one planet. There's millions of habitable systems in the galaxy and even the ancient Sith Empires had more than a couple each.:p

7. Stormwizard

Stormwizard Jedi Padawan star 1

May 3, 2010
    I recently played through XWA for the first time and I think I've found a forgotten planet or starsystem.
    In the briefing for the Deep Space Strike Evaluation mission, the CO talks about a convoy "transiting near Cirtappa".
    However, Cirtappa is not mentioned on the Wook or the Atlas.
    Jason, will you include this in the next Atlas update?

8. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

[image=http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100508041010/starwars/images/5/5b/TheGalaxy-AoI.png]
    http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100508041010/starwars/images/5/5b/TheGalaxy-AoI.png

WE ARE INUNIVERSE here... so lets analyse, translate and work ;) AWESOME use of the Atlas

9. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    Had some time on my hand, so I did the translation.

Bottom left box: Signal Problems Vector **
    Upper left: The Galaxy
    Middle right red box on map: Bait And Switch
    Bottom right red box on map: Potential Sub'prime Lending Zones
    Lower left display: Republic Fighter Stress Analysis
    Lower middle display: Ukian Financial Status "Prime For Takeover"

There's just one word I couldn't get because I couldn't make out the symbols.

10. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    thx nice now we need to check which planets are marked

11. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000
    I think Bait and Switch might be referring to Florrum.

12. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    I did this in a hurry so please check and correct me or propose other options since I only used the main gal map so far and no detail maps. options are endless, especially for retcons later.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v679/Ceiran/TheGalaxy-AoIt1.png

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v679/Ceiran/TheGalaxy-AoIt1.png]

13. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    [face_laugh]

14. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Awesome on so many levels!

15. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    what you couldn't make out is no word but a number for the vector, I think. two digits but dunno which exactly

16. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000
    I suspected it was a number sequence, but I still couldn't make it out.

17. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Hmm, Behpour, an inner world of the Naboo system. How does it fit into the established dynamics of the system? Is it another name for Moth or Erep, or a completely different inner-system world?

18. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I'm pleading the Mandalore-retcon. It's an established planet, with a name change.

Makes more sense, than adding a planet to the system...

19. KamSolusar

KamSolusar Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    Yep, definitely better than a completely new planet. Maybe Behpour is the Gungan name of the planet, whereas Moth/Erep is used as the "official" Nabooian name (or vice versa)?

20. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    not all the dots on the map have to be starsystems...some could be mined locations along hyperroutes, space stations, rendezvous points for fleets, or locations of deep space battles.

Rakata Prime is very interesting. I can see Dooku having an interest in the planet, since he loved antiquities (ie, his Gree solar sails).

21. Malachi108

Malachi108 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2009
    According to the Atlas, Dooku invaded Dantooine looking for Rakatan artifacts [face_whistling]

22. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    well-spotted, that!

Also we recall his interest in Raxus Prime;) Dooku does seem fond of archaeology...for purposes of power at least.

JASON
    OK, not atlas-related per se, but you are also our expert on minutiae of the new Clone Wars cartoon. In Lethal Trackdown, we see a new droid with the body of a 3PO, but with a cylindrical head with 2 flat red photoreceptors and a simple-jawed mouth, and on top of its head a kind of box with a light-strip along the front. One walks by Ahsoka and Plo at the Coruscant underworld landing strip (NOT the customs droid); another serves as bartender on Florrum (you can get a good look at it around 09:22 on the official site's full episode). Anyhoo, neither Wookieepedia nor the Episode Guide have anything on it. What are these guys?

23. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Explume_Minor

Is this fanon? I HAVE this book and can't find any mention of this.

24. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    As Dan Wallace himself quoted here, it's in the quote for the Lugubraa.

25. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    thx;)

I always love Dan's endnotes