main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Essential Atlas and Galactic Cartography: Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    ok, this always bothered me in Dark Empire, how the MF got from Nal Hutta to Ganath with a broken hyperdrive. The preview map of Hutt Space online indicates they are NOT in the same system, so is this another case of the backup hyperdrive?

I had toyed with the possible retcon they were in the same system, but I never like it, because no matter how hard to navigate the space around Ganath might be, it was hard to imagine it had never been done if it was in the same system as Nal Hutta and Nar Shadda, which I would imagine is one of the best-explored systems in the Galaxy since it was a major crossroads for illicit activity for millennia. After all, if law enforcement actually did interfere there, you'd think smugglers would want to have some boltholes in space. So I agree with Dan and Jason NOT placing Ganath in the same system as Nal Hutta. This gaffe always struck me as being poorly thought out by the DE creators, which is the same conclusion I came to about the Hoth-Anoat-Bespin mess in ESB.

2. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    There's just no way around it. Without FTL travel, you'll need at least a year or so to get to a nearby system - if they're crowded together. Probably the best retcon WEG did.

3. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Nothing says that the Emperor's Ruling Council was killed. Just the Imperial Ruling Council. Doesn't mean they're the same. In fact, as I see, the implication is that they were seperate. The ERC is referred to several times after the destruction of the IRC is mentioned.

Depends on your definition of hotbed I suppose. Maybe the Emperor can't even tolerate 10 people from a senate made up of thousands coming forward and rebelling. Look at all the trouble just three of them allying caused.

4. CaelumExternus

CaelumExternus Jedi Master star 2

Apr 2, 2005
    The Atlas says on the TESB map that the MF used a backup hyperdrive to reach Bespin. Could this have worked in DE?

5. operative_lm

operative_lm Jedi Master

Jun 11, 2005
    Dan, Jason:

After becoming overjoyed that Obredaan was deemed semi-important enough to be placed on the Mid Rim map (I appear to be one of the few strange people that actually enjoyed the Obi-Wan game :p), I went looking for that evil poseur, Obreedan. It's there on the map of the Second/New Galactic Civil War but not in the index. It also appears to occupy the same place as Obredaan on the Mid Rim map.

So: could it be that the two planets are the same and it suffers from unfortunate typos (as I'd hoped was the case in Bloodlines), or is something crazy occurring and there really are two planets in almost the same spot (like Tatooine and Geonosis)?

6. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005

All fronts you say? Even the aquatic front?

Isn?t it obvious?
    GrandAdmiralJello is in fact a Vong infiltraitor, and he doesn?t want us to know about the war and the YV?s defeat.

Sure, he claims to be a loyal Imperial human, but I think he dost protest too much. After all, why would he need to constantly say the Empire is victorious on all fronts; a true Imperial would know that goes without saying.

Luckily I found him out before he could turn over our galaxy to Xenos and heretics and monsters and zealots and heretics and metal boxes and spess mehrans.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    No. This is something I saw in the NEC too, where Imperial/Emperor are interchanged as are Council and Circle. There is an Imperial Ruling Council, some of whom are part of the Emperor's Ruling Circle. This distinction is very clear in the original WEG sources, but it is repeatedly muddled lately.

The Atlas says she slew the "Imperial Ruling Circle"[sic]--but the actual IRC cannot have been slain, because Dangor and his associates yet live. And WEG makes it clear that the ERC is led by Dangor, and is composed of former members of the IRC.

While they are separate, that's not what I see in the Atlas, which (correctly) mentions an Imperial Ruling Council headed by Pestage, an Imperial Ruling Circle (incorrectly) slain by Isard, and an Emperor's Ruling Council (incorrectly) bringing moffs and fleet commands back into the fold.

It's not the facts themselves that are wrong, but the distinction between groups gets fudged. Pestage did lead the IRC, but it joined up with Dangor and they formed an ERC against him. The Cabal probably consisted of some of these folks, but we only know of Isard killing the Tribunal--and then the ERC (Circle, remember) is the one that brings fleet commanders and moffs together.

TC: There is a map of the Vong invasion route beginning from VP and going into the Core, and a map of the invasion route circa the fall of Coruscant. Then there's an aftermath map, iirc. I skipped the text summary for time concerns and because I didn't expect anything new.

[i][blockquote]Sure, he claims to be a loyal Imperial human, but I think he dost protest too much. [/i][/blockquote]

Doth. Dost is second person singular. :)

8. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    What I am saying is take the Imperial Ruling Council as the triumvirate, with some of those members perhaps being on the ERC.

Some people on the ERC are on the IRC. Some people (maybe all three?) on the IRC are also ont he ERC. But the ERC is not necessarily the IRC. Tears of Palpatine and Pena had this discussion years ago onthe JC. Pena even noted that he IRC and the ERC seemed to be different, but was merely treating them as the same so people wouldn't get confused. The atlas seems to treat them as being different.

The mere fact that members of both groups were on both councils would explain in universe confusion and them being considered the same. In fact, the IRC could even still be a representative of the rest of the ERC without being the ERC. When people refer to them as the same body, it's just a matter of a little confusion rather than actual fact.

And yes, I am pleased withe timing of the REbel asaults on Imperial space. The major ones seem to be in between the 2.5- 5 year mark, which is exactly where I would have placed them. They have had enough time to gain allies through diplomacy and to put to use their new influx of resources.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    We can't take the IRC as the triumvirate because Pestage is explicitly called the head of the Ruling Council, and the IRC is defined in other sources as an institution that existed before Endor (and it was once headed by Dangor).

It's messy, but the best way to think about it is that the IRC was the body that ran the Empire prior to Endor. The ERC is the group that Dangor formed out of members of the IRC along with military officers, plutocrats, and the like (we can think of it as the Cabal). Pestage and the ERC were both issuing orders right and left in the name of the Imperial throne. When Pestage fled and the Tribunal took over, three members of the Cabal took over--but they were never called members of the IRC.

10. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    If you check the chart for A New Hope, you'll notice that the Death Star makes a detour past Carida. That just means they remembered that the book Children of the Jedi said they dropped Ohran Keldor and Bevel Lemelisk off on Carida before setting off for Yavin and its fateful rendezvous. That's called good memory, or at least exceptional research.

11. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    You guys are the greatest. :D

TC

12. Armchair_Admiral

Armchair_Admiral Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    Oh, does the Atlas say anything about what happened to the Empire of the Hand?

13. Gomez_Addams

Gomez_Addams Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 29, 2009
    Apparantly absorbed by the Chiss.

14. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Jason, I did notice a minor problem - Turkana appears in the Outer Rim near Mon Calamari Space (which ties in beautifully with the battle there in X-Wing), but its sector - Hadar - shows up on the Senex/Juvex map as bordering their domains in the Mid-Rim. (The text also mentions the sector, as one of the neighboring planets detailed is said to be there).

15. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    OK, now this is the official thread. Please don't be confused. :p

16. Atarumaster88

Atarumaster88 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 7, 2009
    The Atlas is amazing. All dissenters to this view will be blasted. Survivors will be blasted again. [face_devil] Congrats to all the TF.Ners and Wookieepedians who got acknowledgments and such, ( and a tremendous hat's off to Jason, Dan, and the artists for the bundle of awesome that they cooked up. Well worth the money. =D==D==D=

And, if I'm ever cooped up in a room with Chris Trevas and Leland Chee, I'm going to have Chris draw Cal Omas and Leland make it canon just so we finally have a picture of the man! [face_mischief] :D

17. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Forgive me if this question has been asked and answered already, but what ( if anything ) does it have to say about hyperspace travel times?

18. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Hi folks, catching up with a lot of stuff...

Yes, but they've become subsectors. More on ORT sectors in a while....

Re the Senate, two key documents in our depiction of its decline are the HNN finale in Star Wars Insider #84 (one of my all-time favorite bits of EU lore) and Dark Lord, p. 103. The latter seems pretty explicit about the Senate becoming a toothless advisory body and laws coming from the Emperor and his advisors.

We didn't define it exactly, so there's no canonical answer. But my gut says (big caveat: I'm utterly unworthy of Fleet Junkie membership) that in general, the Rebel/early NR forces were an ever-shifting conglomeration of local forces and purely Rebel/NR units, with the exact makeup of a given force highly dependent on the situation and location. I'd say the Mon Cal offensive would have been mostly or entirely Mon Cal forces, while the Sovv-led operations would have been mostly NR units, albeit with Sullustan participation. But there's wiggle room for other answers if those are unsatisfying.

That's a typo on New Galactic Civil War map -- one for the errata. It's Obredaan.

Ugh. That one's my fault. I moved Turkana near Mon Cal for the exact tie-in you note approvingly, but thought I'd placed it in Hadar Sector myself and so could move it. I either overwrote or didn't notice the reference that it had come from the X-Wing game.

[swearing and muttering]

This can't really be fixed -- I suppose someone could gin up an oversector that includes Hadar sector and Turkana's new place, but that's a pretty desperate retcon.

Thanks very much for all the feedback here, and the errata that's been sent to essential.atlas@gmail.com. Please keep it coming, on both fronts!

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Jason:
    Re the Senate, two key documents in our depiction of its decline are the HNN finale in Star Wars Insider #84 (one of my all-time favorite bits of EU lore) and Dark Lord, p. 103. The latter seems pretty explicit about the Senate becoming a toothless advisory body and laws coming from the Emperor and his advisors.

I haven't left yet, so I still have access to my library--I took a quick look at that page, and all it means is that the Emperor has the last say. He holds Imperial Assent, in other words, and this is hardly different from any other monarchy. Queen Elizabeth II also has the final say in the UK, as had more powerful British monarchs before her, but that did not make Parliament a "toothless advisory body." Far from it, as the power of the purse was its ultimate advantage.

And as the RASB and even TOS's Databank show, this holds true in the Imperial Senate as well. Bail Organa was able to divert funds to the Rebellion and frustrate Imperial ambitions with his position on the Senate's military advisory committee. This is hardly a rubberstamping institution we're talking about.

The Empire was an absolute monarchy, but she did not have a unitary government. There's a reason Tagge and the others are concerned at the Senate's suspension--it's because it did stuff. And WEG tells us this is true of most Republican institutions, which operate exactly as they always had before the New Order ("Into the Core").

Here's a good passage from that article that also discusses the Empire's treatment of the Core (which I think was a bit off in the Atlas too, esp. where it says the Empire clamped down hard or something of that sort.)

20. operative_lm

operative_lm Jedi Master

Jun 11, 2005
    Thanks, Jason. Could this mean then that Obreedan's appearance in Bloodlines can now also be called a typo? [face_praying]

Nice to know Obredaan was a member of the Confederation in any case.

21. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    This was true even in West End Games. Nothing really changes here. The Empire always left the Core Worlds alone and brutally repressed the outside. Though I'm annoyed we don't get more mention of the fact that aliens were repressed heavily even in the Core.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    ????

That quote was from WEG, not the Atlas.

The Atlas said "Yet even in the Core, Palpatine demonstrated that his reign would brook no dissent." I do not think there were any such shows of force, aside from those engaged by independant agents like Tarkin and such.

23. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Uh, GAJ, I actually agree with you that the Emperor ruled lightly in the Core Worlds but I think you're overstating the case.

1. Dentaal: Destroyed by direct order of the Emperor himself.

2. Ralltir: Bombed to Hell by Lord Tion. Tion held onto his position afterwards.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Insurrection is not simply dissent. Core Worlders could dissent, they were simply forbidden from revolting.

I'd argue more, but I have a flight in a few hours. We'll continue this next week.

25. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Well I just cracked open the book and read a little on the relevant passages. My initial thoughts are.

1. I like the fact they institutionalized the racism and slavery of the Empire as well as highlighted that the Empire was not as beloeved in the Core as many people like to believe. Let's face it, all three of the major Rebel Alliance figures were Core Worlders.

2. I concede that the Core is the financial hub of the galaxy.

3. The galaxy has been settled 20,000 years Jello. Your obsession with believing that the majority of the galaxy exists in the Core Worlds is silly. A major part of this being that plenty of species with mutliple billions of inhabitants evolved on other planets.

4. This is just filled with wonderful fun facts all round.