main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Events The EUC Read-Through Thread - The Thrawn Trilogy!

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Sinrebirth , Apr 11, 2023.

1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    As a new series the EUC Mods want to run, we intend to host a Thrawn Trilogy Read Along in anticipation of the Ahsoka series.

This will commit participants to reading each of the new Thrawn books by Timothy Zahn.

Thrawn, Thrawn: Alliances and Thrawn: Treason.

One a month, starting May.

We will also likely finish off with the final few episodes of Rebels.

Who's in?

[​IMG]

If we had more time I'd commit to the Ascendancy Trilogy, this Trilogy, and the 1991 Thrawn Trilogy, but time is against us, and one book a month is plenty. Right?

Right?

2. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    A trilogy of Thrawn trilogies. :D

3. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
  4. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
  5. Silvertough

Silvertough Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2018
  6. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
  7. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Seeing the side by side, i’m convinced Lars is the right actor now

Sinrebirth likes this.
  8. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I agree. Are you reading along with us, my friend?

Six days until we start reading!

@Silvertough, @HanSolo29, @Lady_Belligerent, @PCCViking, @Nehru_Amidala

9. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    I doubt it, I’ve been too busy with work and mostly lurking these last few years. Already started rereading the original Thrawn Trilogy anyway.

10. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Alright!

The 1st May is upon us!

I intend on opening the show.

Chapter One

This was a treat because it essentially retreads the Legends story Mist Encounters where Parck meets Thrawn, albeit this is from Eli’s point of view.

The Strikefast becomes a Venator rather than Victory Star Destroyer, and there are V-wings rather than TIE fighters.

But it’s the exact same story beats by Zahn and he really builds confidence in the story for the readers who know Thrawn before. I’d actually have loved to not know the old story, but you can’t unlearn it, and Mist Encounters actually got reprinted just before the reboot so it’s in people’s minds anywho.

Thrawn playing the ‘dumb Unknown Regions’ yokel works very well. Gets him aboard the Destroyer and yes he runs circle around the Imps - and kills a few(!)

Either way, good start!

Last edited: May 1, 2023
    Silvertough likes this.
  11. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Obligatory Mod ness.

Your pace is your pace.

The target is to read the book by the end of May, so we can have an on-going discussion and a finale one.

12. Silvertough

Aug 19, 2018
    Zahn is one of those writers where I can't just read one chapter and put the book away. Had to stop myself before I binged it in one sitting. [face_laugh]

Chapters One - Three
    As always, what makes Thrawn so dangerous is his mind. In chapter one, this is demonstrated by his ability to run circles around the imperial contingent assigned to study a supposed new alien species in a First Contact scenario. While the Imperials continue to escalate their response, or rather, repeat their mistakes over and over again with more numbers, Thrawn is able to slip through the cracks in order to reach his true goal, the Strikefast.

As an aside, what a fantastic name for a Venator! Drop in, deploy your wings of starfighters, obliterate your foe in a torrent of turbolaser fire and strafing fighters. Strike hard, Strikefast. Love it.

The highlight of these three chapters of course, is Thrawn's interaction with Palpatine. Rightly so, this is the first time we see Thrawn apparently meet his match. He is unable to simply blitz his way through the conversation, rather, their brief talk appears more like a chess match between two masters. It is also an interesting characterization for Palpatine, who appears to secretly enjoy the opportunity to converse with someone at least near his level when compared to how he would usually have to talk down to the average Imperial. Good stuff.

13. Silvertough

Aug 19, 2018
    Would also like to make a special note that Thrawn managed to make it a full 179 pages before art was mentioned for the first time

Sent from the depths of the Sith Archives

14. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I made it to chapter 20!

I really didn’t care for Pryce, but when she meets Tarkin it really kicks the game into overdrive. They’re dancing around each other, but Tarkin cuts to the chase swiftly enough.

Vanto is one of my favourite POV characters on Thrawn. Better than Pellaeon or Parck, not as interesting as
    Faro or Vader
    (in Thrawn: Alliances), but I just really liked him as a person. He’s very down to earth. Oh, and his parents panicking about a Chiss was hilarious.

The mastery of this novel is that Thrawn has a foil; Nightswan. Giving Thrawn a Moriarity to bounce off, and the ties to the Clone Wars, one’s Nightswan exploits…

The Battle of Umbara is an example of this. Thrawn beats Nightswan, and the Empire nationalises Umbara, so the smugglers can steal more. It’s so smart. Thrawn is defeated even if he wins. I do think Nightswan gives the book what it needed.

Excellent fun.

How is everyone else doing? O:)

study888 and darthbernael like this.
  15. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Eh, only made it to chapter 16 and I have questions regarding shipping and how certain people are picking up on something I don't think there. From what I read, Vanto and Thrawn had a good amount of respect for each other that was earned over time, and it's nice to see then just having a bromance going on. However, I can't see why some people ship them. I didn't see any romantic sparks between them. (I mean, there was much more, going on between Mara Jade and Luke Skywalker). Am I missing something?

Last edited: May 28, 2023
    darthbernael likes this.
  16. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    @Nehru_Amidala to be honest, I could see Eli actually had feelings for Thrawn, but whether Thrawn reciprocated them, is another thing. I can’t see it, myself, Thrawn just isn’t a character I see like that.

All finished!

Nightswan and Thrawn’s heart-to-heart was probably the best part of the book. Yularen watching him too, that was extremely stressful. Thrawn then abusing Nightswans morality to trounce his fleet… sneaky.

Pryce remained deeply annoying to the very end. The massacre on Batonn was really unnecessary.

The tension about the Death Star between Palpatine and Thrawn was brilliant, too. Thrawn disapproving of planetary munticide is a thing.

17. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    OK, now I have access to audiobooks and guess what is on my list now! After Alphabet squadron though first. (both)
    ;)

18. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Woot! Let us know when you start!

19. study888

study888 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 16, 1999
    I don't have the Thrawn books, but I do have 1991's Heir To The Empire. Can I read that?

I read it before, years ago, and the other two books in that trilogy.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2024
    Nehru_Amidala likes this.
  20. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    For whatever it’s worth, Lars Mikkelsen mentioned at C2E2 a month back that he was in the process of reading the 6 canon Thrawn novels, having finished Thrawn 2017 and Alliances.

Sinrebirth and PCCViking like this.