main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Even More Magniloquent New Rumor Intellectual Thread of Seriousness for Sophisticated Discourse

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by A Chorus of Disapproval , Dec 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I'd prefer something a little more like this

Luke "Who are you'
    Rey "I"m..."
    Luke "You left me to dieee'
    Rey "Die? Don't even know..."
    Luke "Can't be to careful with all those weirdos around."
    Rey "Wait...Huh...
    Luke "Only you.....can make this world seem right!"
    Rey "Only me what?"
    Luke "Take me on home....To the asylum!...Never alone....in the asylum!"
    Rey "Ok now i know your crazy"
    Luke "Bats!"

vncredleader likes this.
  2. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Luke: "Who are you?"
    Rey: "Wait. What did you just say?"
    Luke: "I called for H00-R-U. That's the name of my small droid here. I'll have him go meet Artoo by the ship."

3. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    Luke: Who are you?
    Rey: Don't you recognize your own grandmother. It's me Shmi!
    Luke: er what?
    Rey: I was resurrected as a baby 19 years ago
    Luke:......

vncredleader likes this.
  4. Charlie07

Charlie07 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2015

Rey: I am the last jedi
    Luke: But i'm the last jedi
    Rey: Last or final?
    Luke: **** sake, not this again

:D

5. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I mean, it was a useless project, but it was fun to kill time doing research for it for a few hours.

Anyways, on topic: the thing that intrigued me the most was the description of the X-Wing wobbling like a wounded bird while under attack within a ship. Who's in the X-Wing? Poe? Finn after getting his pilot's license? Some random rebel? And is this X-Wing infiltrating a First Order ship, or is it under fire within a Resistance ship? Is it under fire from First Order forces, or by members of the Resistance after Poe's mutiny? What does this even look like, because it's brining to mind images of the TIE Fighter Poe and Finn jacked trying to escape the Star Destroyer's hanger in TFA while it's caught on the refueling cable.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  6. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Rey: I'm no one.
    Luke: Soooo... does that mean Random? Because I have this Solo theory I've been working on for weeks and I'm ready to post.

7. temtam

temtam Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 27, 2016
    It seems like the two people who ask Rey "Who are you?" in the trailers are the ones who end up telling Rey the most about who she is.

First Maz (tells her about the force, she's special, the lightsaber calls to her, go to Luke etc...)

Now Luke (who probably knows who she really is and will tell her in TLJ)

Both films lead up to her finding her identity. If it follows the Star Wars pattern she will know and embrace that identity in the final act. Maybe in the trailer for Episode IX she herself will state who she is..... e.g "I am the Last Jedi"

Revanfan1 likes this.
  8. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    *Shrugs* As an opening line after a two year wait from a cliffhanger, that's my surface, context-free opinion (no, not a declaration). It wasn't a big deal comment, but that's okay. I broke the cardinal rule against expressing an opinion besides, "omg that sounds amazeballs!!1!" so I deserve what I get.

I also clarified in the post that you quoted that it's not a big deal and I can forgive pretty much anything in SW (so again, it wasn't some broad declaration of anything).

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  9. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Regardless, "who are you" doesn't seem to be the opening line anymore. It's been reported Luke says it to Rey in a hut, and I assume he speaks before that.

Gigoran Monk, Satipo and oncafar like this.
  10. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Why is it so frightening to anyone that this line might be in the movie?

11. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Partly because after all the speculation of what Luke's first line would be, it turns out to simply be... a line. Just a few words that a person says to another person, which is exactly what it was always going to be. It's one of the cases where an answer is destined to be less interesting than the mystery.

Also because people read it a certain way in their heads, and that becomes the way it'll play out for them. It's an imagination issue, plain and simple. It's not a great line, in that it's not some clever analysis human nature or this instantly iconic paring of words, but it's not a bad one, either: it's simply a line. It's the same way with certain scenes. How many scenes or quick, second-long bits were in The Force Awakens that people freaked out over when MSW reported them months prior? Many. Many scenes. None of them ended up being a problem. I mean, some people were losing their **** over certain scenes that nobody mentioned post-release.

12. Charlie07

Jun 22, 2015

11 SECONDS into the international teaser maz says the same damn thing. Schmoes Know (collider) do a 2hr long podcast, they talked about it, they reacted like its spoiled a part of the movie, they talk about it being a "leak".

A company revealed info on their projects at a Shareholder conference with no context given for any of the clips from any of the movies. Or it put it into hollywood lingo...SHOCKING LEAKS REVEALED!

KDC1972, nightangel and Satipo like this.
  13. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    i'm amazed people seem to think this question is somehow unmeaningful... oh well.

14. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I agree. It doesn't have to mean anything. FWIW, I think this might well be different from the Maz thing and that this line will be in the film. Yes, it could be cut but I don't think we should take everything that harms our own personal theories (and I'm not sure it does anyway) as MARKETING.

For as much stuff that was in the TFA or R1 trailers that never made the final cut, a hell of a lot did make the final cut. Also, we don't know this is Luke's first line. The context of it is what will define how important it is (and why). I don't see the line as a spoiler either way. Also, I find it insane that the main issue on these boards is "who is Rey?"

Then a character who presumably has very good reasons for asking that question (whatever his real intent in asking it is) asks it, and everyone goes into meltdown. Of course the film and the characters are going to get into this stuff.

15. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I think it will end up with a dramatic reveal with Kylo involved.

MagnarTheGreat likes this.
  16. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Satipo likes this.
  17. Charlie07

Jun 22, 2015

The only real issue i have is the lack of context and idea about inclusion in the movie.

Those two things are being used to validate or invalidate theories, and generates nonsense like Schmoes (Collider) brings up. As of right now i don't understand how anyone can be happy/sad/angry/confused/validated about this. For all we know, if it makes the movie, it's like 2/3rds into the movie and it has a completely different context like luke talking philsophy with rey after a training session. Or it's the first thing he says. Both are wildly different context that we don't have.

Satipo likes this.
  18. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Maz did not know who Rey was in TFA. The only difference was instead of asking Rey she asked Han.

19. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003

Re: "It's now or never."
    Maybe some of the other dialogue includes.....

Luke: This sudden darkness fills the air.
    Rey: What are we waiting for?
    Luke: Won't anyone help us?
    Rey: What are we waiting for?
    Luke: We can't afford to be innocent.
    Rey: Stand up and face the enemy!
    Luke: It's a do or die situation!
    Rey: We will be invincible!!!
    Luke: YES! We will be invincible!!!

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  20. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I think that was different in an earlier cut. I think Rey did say that she was no one, and Maz replied that "Luke Skywalker was once a no one".

21. dekaneas

dekaneas Jedi Master star 3

Sep 14, 2014
    Luke:Who are you?
    Rey:I am your daugher...father.
    Luke:NOOOOOO!!! (Jumping off the cliff)

22. dekaneas

dekaneas Jedi Master star 3

Sep 14, 2014
    Luke:Who are you?
    Rey:I am your daughter...father.
    Luke:NOOOOOO!!! (Jumping off the cliff):)

23. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000

Rey: I'm Rey Skywalker, I'm here to rescue you.

or

Rey: My name is Kira.....and I remember everything.

or

Rey: You ever hear the Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise?

Darth_Voider likes this.
  24. ChipRock

ChipRock Jedi Padawan

Dec 21, 2015
    He arrived right before you did?

vncredleader likes this.
  25. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Mercy! No more rehash!

26. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    No cause now I have the mental image of Ren and Luke just chilling and having dinner for real and Luke being like "Now Rey I know he is evil and killed Han but we have not seen each other in a while and need to catch up"

ChipRock and fuhry like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.