main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The First Basketball Draft

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by The Great No One, Apr 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMaster1511

JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master star 10

Jul 15, 2010
    Yeah, once we get the intial first few matchups in and we have precedent it should speed up.

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball/SWC Jedi Commish star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    The other thing we could do is just not wait around for days for arguments and research, go with our guts, and not have people whine and complain. The judge right away mentality is how they used to get through 5 (or more) Jedi Drafts in a single year. It can work, people. You don't have to agonize and get the perfect judgment every time, and we should allow that mistakes will happen. Hell, this is a sports draft, and the better team/athlete doesn't win every time, so that would bring some realism back into it.

3. JediMaster1511

Jul 15, 2010
    That could work, the problem is wouldn't that lead to a bit of favoritism for certain athletes? Not all the time of course, but in some cases.

4. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    I lost the Jedi Draft horribly. Am I now hearing that my guys weren't well-researched?

I declare myself the new Jedi Draft Champion. Bow before your champion, The Y A K.

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball/SWC Jedi Commish star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Nice selective reading, Yak. You missed words like "used to" ...

6. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    That was edited in, and I can't prove it wasn't. I've been robbed!

7. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Here's my effort to get things going. If we want to go with five judges, and first three votes count ... I'll go with this ...

8. JediMaster1511

Jul 15, 2010

Yeah, why Durron in the team match? My team is a better team, they have way better cohesion and the better coach. Also, why can't Monroe beat Sabonis. Sabonis is good, but Earl has the skills to beat him.

9. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    I guess I will have time to do some actual research here soon.

10. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Well. This is surprising.

11. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    So, I'm pretty sold on my votes for matches 1, 4 and 6 although 1 is very close and I could be swayed by some argument. 5 is gonna get some more research bc it's basically better talent vs better cohesion.

2 and 3 need a good deal more research, but I am kinda close to flopping on 3.

Regardless, we will need a 3rd judge for match 4. Would like to see some argument on 5 and 3 and probably 2 as well ::Goes back to see if we've already had some::

12. whiteeagle

whiteeagle Jedi Master star 6

Dec 24, 2004
    Back to the drawing board?

13. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    So after some research on 2 (yes I finally found some time to look at this thing) I very well could flop on that as well. Even though that's been the most heavily argued match, more argument could sway me. Same with 3 and 5, which I really haven't made up my mind on. Still need a 3rd judge too.

14. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    i'm really sorry, having my girlfriend here really has made it hard to do anything with this. i've been thinking about it, and i pretty well know who i'm going to go with. will do that along with my draft pick later this afternoon. i should be back on far more regular time starting tomorrow.

15. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    i think it's safe to call this dead in the water and that it needs a few more tweaks to make it work. one of those being finding a new commish because i just don't have the time, nor is it something i have as much interest in as i thought i would.

if any one has a problem with just locking this say so and we can figure something out, but i think we should have done something a lot smaller as a trial run to figure out how this was going to work.

if after 48 hours no one else has posted could one of the mods please lock this?

16. JediMaster1511

Jul 15, 2010
    I don't think it's the right time of the year for it now.

With th elockout in the NBA thus far looking grim, whether there is an NBA season this year or not, that might be the best time to launch it, and better ways to run it cn be figured in the meantime.

17. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    We should do a baseball draft instead.

18. JediMaster1511

Jul 15, 2010
    I think if we did one right now we'd have the same issue ebing it is football season. It'd probably have steam with the playoffs coming up, but once the World Series is over, what are the chances interest remains?

19. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Calling this dead and locking. If you've got future ideas for a draft or for improving this one, take it to Census and Games and the Draft Discussion thread. I will say I don't think the problem is being in season, it's shortening the game and keeping momentum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.