main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Haters' Community

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by barnsthefatjedi, Jan 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    Welcome to the Haters' Community - Reborn, again!

A Brief History

The Hater Community was the first edition of this long-standing Community. Set up on the Literature forum, it's purpose was to provide a voice to those who wished to criticise the EU. Back in those days, anyone who bashed the EU was seen as a trouble maker, and they were often chased from the board by those pesky freaks from the EUDF! :mad: ;)

When it was decided that clubs etc. were not allowed on the Literature forum, the HC was relocated to this board, where it has stayed ever since.

This is the third incarnation of the Community. We decided to restart in an attempt to attract new members here. The HC had become stale, we needed new ideas and opinions as we had simply said all we wanted to say about the EU. I would like to invite all old members back and I'd also like to welcome everyone else to join us here.

Oh, by the way, if new members do not join and this thread plummets then I'll have KN's head on a platter! ;)

Purpose & stuff

The purpose of the HC is to provide a place for you fine people to rant & rave (coherently and sensiblely of course ;) ) about what you don't like about the EU. Also, when discussion fizzles out (as it frequently will), feel free to discuss other stuff.

Of course, the normal JC rules apply here, so no flaming, trolling or spamming (check the Informational Threads forum if you do not understand these terms).

We have decided to do away with a hierachy as the EUDF have been purged from this board and a command system is no longer neccessary. [face_devil] ;)

However, Kansas Navy, Spiderdevil and myself shall keep watch over this place and will effectively be 'in charge'.

Lord Bane will be the geezer who enforces our will and throws people out of the thread if neccessary. ;)

RELEASE YOUR ANGER!

2. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    Git off mah porch, ya damn newbies!

Welcome to the HC. :) Wipe your feet...but don't you dare RP while doing it!

3. Darth_Destructo

Darth_Destructo Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2001
    Put my name down to join. :D

I've always wanted to join, honestly, but the other thread was just too intimidating.

4. barnsthefatjedi

Feb 17, 2001
    Ah, excellent! If things continue in this fashion then KN's head is safe. [face_devil]

5. menilma

menilma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 25, 2001
    yoohoo! here again! I guess I'll give this a new try, although not for the sake of KN's head. wich by the way hasn't shown itself in here..

6. Spiderdevil

Spiderdevil Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2000
    Ah, the HC Version 3.0

I have a confession to make. I still don't have Star by Star. And actually, I really don't care when I'll get around to reading it. I've got a lot of stuff to read for my classes this semester, and a lot of novels of my own waiting on me. Star Wars is beginning to take a backseat.

7. barnsthefatjedi

Feb 17, 2001
    Welcome back menilma and SD. :)

Hateful post coming soon. [face_devil]

8. Spiderdevil

Sep 20, 2000
    Question: Are we going to reinstate the fun yet pointless ranks and titles?

9. barnsthefatjedi

Feb 17, 2001
    Can if there's demand for it...

10. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    I say no.

11. Darth_Turbogeek

Darth_Turbogeek Jedi Youngling

Oct 8, 2001
    I hated some parts of the EU so much, I began to write my own Fan Fic to prove I could do better. And to character assasinate Callista.

Where do I sign up?

12. KansasNavy

KansasNavy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    I'm glad to see some new hate after 11 posts! Go ahead and get as detailed as you want, and we'll feed off the hate.

I'm gonna PM a few oldbies to tell 'em to come back.

Here are some hot topics I'd like to know about you guys (newbies and oldbies alike):

Chiss
    Callista
    Bria
    Daala
    NJO Deaths (careful with spoilers)
    Yuuzhan Vong
    Black Fleet Crisis
    Children of the Jedi
    Planet of Twilight
    Crystal Star
    Kevin J Anderson

Don't be afraid to protect something you like and someone else hates. Don't buckle under peer pressure! And don't post all your thoughts at once. That'll be overwhelming.

See you around.

13. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Im here. I helped found this place. :p Just not good at upkeeping.

14. sweetheart

sweetheart Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    Ooh new HC. Let's see what I hate:

bills
    Bria
    NJO Mara
    N Sync
    COPL
    the fact that Morpheus is taking me like 8 hours to download a 3 minutes song

15. Jedi_Xen

Jedi_Xen Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2001
    Oooh I hate it when I try to d/l 3 minute songs and it takes 8 hours. I hate Metallica for killing Napster, truthfully are they not the biggest bunch of hipacrits in the world?

1991 Metallica: "Yeah were against the man, were Rebels"

2001 Metallica: "Mr Senator, this organization called Napster are dropping our salaries from about 10 million a year to about $9,999,999.99 it must be stoppped, pretty please Mr Senator with sugar dumplings on top."

You dont hear the Beatles complaining about it, they want their music to be heard, of course they had something to say.

I also hate the childish plots of the EU and the way EU writers try to undermine the movies by making their superweapons more super than the death stars, their Imperial dark Jedi (I thought the Emperor felt threatened by other force users) more evil than Vader or Palpy.

And Im only just beginning to re-release my anger.

Why oh why can't Timothy Zahn have not written the entire Expanded Universe it would be near impossible to have an EU bashers sanctuary then.

16. Wildwookiee

Wildwookiee Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2001
    I hate it that this place is back!! :D

I'll tell you what I hate, I really hate it that people are so overly sensitive to things such as movies and books. They go into a theater, expect something epic, and get the Mummy Returns. Why can't people go to a movie anymore just to be entertained? so it wasn't Ben Hur...get over it. Honestly, I found TPM to be a fun movie, and yes, I do watch it from time to time. All this crap that the movie got becasue it wasn't A New Hope... Can't we just be entertained? Geez World, wake up, and stop being so uptight...

17. Spiderdevil

Sep 20, 2000
    Exactly. I told one of the guys living next door that I bought the Planet of the Apes DVD over break. He looked at me and said "On purpose?" Yes, it doesn't hold a candle to the original, but dammit, I enjoyed it. It was a fun popcorn flick.

18. Jedi_Xen

Jedi_Xen Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2001
    EH I watched Jurrasic Park III today, its not as good as the originals but it had me jumping more than the originals I give it that, alot of unexpected things came from the movie, I give it 7 of 10.

19. Wildwookiee

Wildwookiee Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2001
    do you want to hear somthing funny?

I liked the KJA novels...ALL OF THEM!!!

I hated the BFC...ALL OF THEM

I somewhat disliked the Tim Zahn trilogy!

goin against the grain baby!!!

20. barnsthefatjedi

Feb 17, 2001
    I wouldn't say hating BFC was going against the grain. I liked it and I know LB did too, but I think most people didn't like it.

"Prove me wrong, children. Prove me wrong."

So what didn't you like? How can you not like the Lando/vagabond story?! I hated the Akanah bit, but the rest of BFC was pretty cool, IMO.

Good to see new and old members signing up. I promise to post a nice big hateful rant later when I have more time.

21. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    Chiss
    Callista
    Bria
    Daala
    NJO Deaths (careful with spoilers)
    Yuuzhan Vong
    Black Fleet Crisis
    Children of the Jedi
    Planet of Twilight
    Crystal Star
    Kevin J Anderson

God, its been so long since I read/bought a SW book that I barely recognise anything in that list.. (except Kevin "I am now Frank Hebert" J Anderson)

I think I stopped halfway through Black fleet Crisis.. and now with all those "Solo babies" Books out and Chewie dying... well, lets say I have a healthy disregard for Lucasfilm marketing!

Someone (Sturm Antilles?) said that the prequel books were a lot better and fitted the chronology/storyline of SW a lot better?

I Can't really be bothered to read them, so does anyone fancy giving a brief synopsis on them here?

UKS

22. barnsthefatjedi

Feb 17, 2001
    The only prequel books I've read are Shadow Hunter and Cloak of Deception.
    The former is great, but the latter was really quite boring, IMO (too much politics for my liking).

Shadow Hunter takes place just before TPM. The basic gist of the story is that one of the Nemoidians who is in collusion with Sidious decides to betray him and sell details of his plans to blockade Naboo. Sidious sends Maul after him to make sure those plans are not revealed to anyone. The plans get passed onto some other geezer and a Jedi bint who end up legging it from Maul. [face_devil]

I really liked the book. As I've said many times before, it's worth reading just for the ending.

I can't remember much about CoD. I stopped paying attention to the story after about 100 pages. It just bored me to death. It too takes place just before TPM and it's basically all about Palpatine weakening the foundations of Valorums rule through various uninteresting schemes.

23. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    I hate Lord of the Rings, is that off topic? But I really do. It makes what I feel for Mara Jade look like fuzzy bunnies and bright rainbows.

24. Perator

Perator Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 3, 2000
    I'm back! :D

I used to come to the HC a lot (the first and second versions) but I don't have much time now.

However, I have one MAJOR hate of the day:

Mid-Year Exams Three hour exams for every subject! AAAAAAH! [face_devil]

I hope to have time to come back and chat with you guys after my exams are over next week.

Perator

P.S. barns, are you coming back to the boards now?

P.P.S. Can I still be Philosopher of Hatred or whatver my ridiculous title was? :)

25. barnsthefatjedi

Feb 17, 2001
    I don't hate Lord of the Rings, but I do hate how it has overtaken the JCC. Many people there put Star Wars down and say how great LOTR is. They are clearly not SW fans. My question to them is: if you think LOTR is so much better than SW, why do you post on a Star Wars message board? Perhaps you should **** off to theonering.net where your views might be more appreciated. :mad:

My personal view of LOTR is that it was OK, but far too long. I don't care what the justification for the length was. The fact is that as cinematic entertainment it was relatively unsatisfying due to its length. The story became boring and drawn out in many parts. And I really don't think it was anywhere near as good as Star Wars (many people have claimed that it is far superior, and I'm not talking about movie critics because they are just retards). The acting was better, but it was no where near as entertaining. Call me a fanboy if you wish, but that's what I think. :p

But as I said, this is a Star Wars message board. There are already places online to discuss LOTR so go there if you wish to discuss it.

And now onto things more Star Wars related.

I hate the New Jedi Order. No, not the series of books, but the actual New Jedi Order. There are various reasons for this which I shall type as they come to me.

OK, first of all, let's give credit where credit is due. Fair play to Luke Skywalker. As the only Jedi in existence with little help from anyone else, he has mangaed to reestablish the order (albeit a mutated shadow of its predecessor) and helped to ensure that they Jedi ways are preserved. I doubt any of us could say that. :p

Obviously, this is a hugely difficult task or just one bloke and given the circumstances, I think Luke can give himself a pat on the back. Maybe it even justifies him being a totally boring pacifist moron, but that's another matter entirely. ;) Now while Luke may have done himself proud, his order is far from perfect. I have made a simple observation:

The Jedi are the Cast of Dawson's Creek!

Why is it that nearly every Jedi talks like this. "Hey guys, how's it going? You wanna go kick some Vong butt?"

No no no no no! Let's put things in perspective. This is an ancient order of disciplined knights made up of any kind of species from across the galaxy. So why, I ask you do they all behave/sound like American teens (with a few exceptions such as Tenal Ka and the Tesar crew)? Surely there would be a wide range of customs, speech styles etc. They all seem to be the same person. Many of the characters are rather bland and uninteresting and very forgetable. These are books. We can't see their faces. That's why the characters need distinct personalities to help us remember who they are. That's why I liked Anakin. At least he had a mind of his own, unlike Jacen who is just like Luke. Then they go and kill him off. Fricken marvellous! The lack of Jedi-like behaviour is especially evident in the younger characters. No, especially in Tahiri! Don't even get me started on Tahiri! Too late! :mad:

Where is the discipline? Can you really imagine a Jedi apprentice, a Jedi apprentice, behaving like she does? She acts like a spoilt, prissy little biatch! "I want to go on the mission with Anakin! He's mine! Mine mine mine mine mine!" And that pathetic rivalry in SbS between her and Alema. Please! As if being petty jealousies (I can't remember how to spell that just now, and frankly I don't care) like that would be on your mind when your stranded on a Vong worldship on a mission which could decide the fate of the entire galaxy. As if at the age of 15, trained all of your life as a Jedi, you would behave like a spoiled little immature child. [face_plain] Tahiri is simply not a Jedi knight. She never will be.

Let us pray:

Dear Lord (not me on this occasion),

Please make Tahiri die soon. Amen.

OK, that's enough hateful healing for now. :D

EDIT: Yeah I am back for now. And yeah, you can still be Philosopher of Hatred [face_devil]

EDIT 2: Kyp is the best part about the NJO. They bet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.