main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books Comics The High Republic (aka "Project Luminous")

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Xammer, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 10

Jul 19, 1999
    Somehow I must have missed or forgotten it then, but I would still class this info, as it is relation to EoD, as a spoiler for a book that has been out just over 24 hours.

I wouldn't care if this was the EoD thread, that's easily avoided but it's not, it's the general one.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2023
  2. beetzello

beetzello Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 17, 2002
    No. Details were not shared. A spoiler involves transcription of the what the voices said, who/what the voices were, more context as to when/where/how the voices presented themselves, and how/if the character with the noggin of chatter reacted.

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 7 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah, that's not how spoilers work here, we're a lot stricter than that. You're off the hook this time since you're talking about details established in earlier books, but be wary when discussing details for newly released books, especially outside the dedicated threads.

4. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    Ok
    Avar and Elzar are going to spend an entire day watching Netflix. And if Yoda comes knocking on their door they are going to tell him in Yoda speak they are helping each other through their problems.

Also although it was a little disappointing that they decided to move back in time and put the story set in the Starlight Beacon time period on hold for awhile I do think it will have much better payoff for those that read the series once it is all out and for those that go back and re-read it. As although reading Phase II isn't necessary to understand Eye of Darkness there is a lot of payoff if you did.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2023
  5. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    After his **** up with Azlin, Yoda may be less judgmental for some time.

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Ah space Netflix and chill. Or is it holonet and chill.

7. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    Lol it can be called all kinds of things. Lol Avar better take the person whose room is next to hers out for some drinks so they will agree to keep things quiet.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2023
  8. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    https://www.starwars.com/news/inside-the-high-republic-phase-3-nameless
    So, Nameless still affect the Children, but not enough to kill, interesting.

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Finished the Battle of Jedha and it was an interesting listen. It also brought out more of what the key theme of Phase Ii is, namely envy. And it's not that big a leap to see how that envy became the Nihil's general hatred and loathing.

What lies behind the Path of the Open Hand's beliefs is envy, that some beings get to use the Force and others do not, that there are others who are faster, stronger or smarter. In response they tie themselves in knots to tear those others down, even resorting to use of Force predators that they deem "Levellers".

The overall enemy in the High Republic is deciding to stay juvenile and immature. It links both Phases and I don't expect this to change in Phase III.

10. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    Agree. And Lourna is an embodiment of it.
    Although it still seems to me that the Path and the Nihil on level of concept have a much bigger potential for a story in another time period - for example, an outright powerful and stable theocratic government that forbids the usage of the Force, except for enslaved Force-users, along with Nameless used as weapons against both the Republic/Jedi and Sith Empire(s).

11. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006

That sounds like the Seanchan in WOT.

JediFett10 and Foreign32567 like this.
  12. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    Exactly my source of inspiration in this case, I'm reading this book series currently.

Dawud786 likes this.
  13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Problem is the direction that all heads in is practically superpower regulation, which isn't as interesting as it initially looks

14. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    Depends on ways to ensure it.
    For me in this case the most interesting aspect is philosophical one - to what degree the ordinary people had the right to act to protect themselves from Force-users.

15. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I'm listening to the audiobooks myself. I am physically reading New Spring now though.

The Path of the Open Hand actually had me thinking of the Children of the Light too.

Foreign32567 likes this.
  16. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    In terms of similar beliefs - that the Force is too sacred to be used by mortals - agree.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2023
    Dawud786 likes this.
  17. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The Seanchan in WOT Season 2 actually actively made me think about the Yuuzhan Vong.

Dawud786 likes this.
  18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Now there's a link I never would have made!

19. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Their introduction was particularly nasty.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  20. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Just got the comic the blade can’t wait to give it a read

Dawud786 and Jedi Ben like this.
  21. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
  22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord 36X Wacky Wednesday star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 2, 2012
    Wheel of Time.

Ghost and AusStig like this.
  23. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Ah yes. A monster book series I have opted to skip in favour of the missus ordering me to read ACoTaR.

Jedi Ben and Iron_lord like this.
  24. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    People using all these abbreviations sure makes it difficult to know what they are talking about sometimes.

25. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    ACoTaR = A Court of Thorns and Roses. A fantasy novel series by Sarah J. Maas. (Source: I have a daughter in her early twenties who has read every word Maas has ever written, possibly even including her Catwoman novel.)

But for the most part, as someone not particularly into fantasy I'm right there with you on the abbreviations. It took me a little bit to realize WOT wasn't a typo and was actually something different from GOT. I imagine this is what it's like for casuals when we throw around stuff like ANH, HTTE, etc.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2023
    AusStig, Jedi Ben and JediFett10 like this.