main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books Comics The High Republic (aka "Project Luminous")

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Xammer, Apr 15, 2019.

1. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I'd retain him for my legal needs, but I can't help but suspect he'd just spend all his time getting stoned.

2. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    A post by Cavan Scott seems to suggest that this issue will be a
    flashback to Phase II:

3. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jedi Master Frizzy Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    With old Character remembers his younger days ;)

Senpezeco likes this.
  4. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    Hope that is going to be a meaningful flashback, since there are only 10 issues in the third volume,
    preferably with some new Sith lore, since vision of Krall from the first volume so far is a loose thread.

Senpezeco likes this.
  5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 10

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm now at the point where I can start Eye of Darkness, but I'm probably going to hold off doing so, until I have some of the other Phase III pieces assembled.

Does Phase II justify the huge pause to Phase I's ongoing story? I don't know that it does at this point, I think the Phase III stories will have to demonstrate why it was a good move.

6. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    Somewhat. There are references to Phase II books and characters in Eye of Darkness but nothing that would take anything away from the story of you didn't pick up on those references.

Once the series is over and people begin talking about the creative process for the High Republic it will be interesting to find out when the idea to go back 150 years and tell stories came about. Phase II is in a bit of a strange spot. There really isn't enough going on to kick the series off with it and if they waited until the main story was over people may not of felt the need to stick with it.

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Appreciate you keeping that post sufficiently general.

8. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    IMO, Marda's story alone was worth making a whole Phase a prequel. Alas, ultimately it is also a solo good reason for this.
    Sadly, both Azlin and Porter did not get backstories detailed enough, especially the former, since he is one of the most intriguing characters in THR.

jedi_master_ousley likes this.
  9. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Force Ghost star 8

Jun 14, 2002
    And picking up married women [face_laugh]

10. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    Geode only flirts, but nothing more.

11. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I'm re-reading the phase 2 comics right now.

I kind of wish they had canonized the old KOTOR Jedi classes for this project. Guardian, Consular, Sentinel. With all th saber colors we see Jedi wielding, I think it would be interesting to have those classes associated.

Could also be used to explain the uniformity of lightsaber colors in the PT. Like, the Sentinel class falls away over time and that leaves them more vulnerable to the machinations of the Sith.

12. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    So with the next new time period that publishing takes on once High Republic is done how long would you prefer it to be. I think even those that have really enjoyed the series would admit that it did become a lot to keep up with.

I personally think that three adult novels and an accompanying ongoing comic series is enough to tell a complete story and fully describe a new era. If they want to tell more stories with those characters they can but for the initial story planned I think it could be fully told in three books similar to some of the other series we have had.

13. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I think they should stick with the High Republic era for a while. Once the Nihil story is done it should just be done. But it's not like there aren't potentially plenty of stories to tell in the hundreds of years covered by the High Republic heading.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  14. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    Agree.
    Hope that Soule will someday follow in JJM's footsteps in terms of writing both novels and comic series about new setting (like it was with Knight Errant and Lost Tribe of the Sith) in solo.

AusStig likes this.
  15. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jan 15, 2018
    Start with the Birth of the High Republic era after centuries of darkness from the last Jedi and sith wars.

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm wondering if they're not seeding the ancient Sith war. With what's been hinted at so far with the Nameless, I'm starting to view them as a weapon developed by the Sith for that war. There's also the way Porter talks about that war too.

Fredrik Vallestrand and AusStig like this.
  17. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    He also says the galaxy was still recovering from it about 500BBY, so even the recovery could be interesting.

Fredrik Vallestrand and Jedi Ben like this.
  18. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jan 15, 2018
    Recovery from last Sith Wars and must deal with any treath thats left. Like Mandalorians, the Crime Syndicates, pirates, mercenary groups. Any dark or Rogue Jedi thats left. And the Jedi prison wasent made until 500 years after the Sith Wars and 500 years before The Clone Wars. So probably Many dark Jedi in this Recover era of darkness. Maybe some lone Sith like the vision episode.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2023
  19. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Exploring the timeline between circa 1032 BBY and 400 BBY would be interesting...if they bring back James Luceno, Timothy Zahn, Michael A. Stackpole and other pre-2014 writers.

20. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jan 15, 2018
    Charles Soule would probably be involved there. I dont see James Luceno back. The others is likley.

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I think Luceno is retired, Zahn seems happy doing Thrawn stuff. Stackpole? Not sure.

Would be good to get John Jackson Miller back, especially for an ancient Sith war story. Freed could be good for that, too.

AusStig likes this.
  22. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    Recanonization of Mandalorian Excision can be a very interesting storyline both in terms of the Republic rebuilding itself and conflict being a rather large-scale one, but Mandalorians now are seemingly heavily restricted from appearing in other mediums and even other timelines because of the live-action series, so the chances for this are low.

23. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    Yeah Luceno seems to be retired now. Stackpole hasn't done a Star Wars novel since around 2000 and not sure how willing he is to come back (he seems to have done full on novels relatively sparingly since then anyways). Zahn seems to do better when he is off doing his own thing.

JJM is probably the most likey to take part in a series of stories taking place even further back than the High Republic and Charles Soule seems to have his hands in everything regarding Star Wars publishing these days.

They definitely do seem to be gearing up to do a 1,000 BBY Sith War story. Rather publishing will do that or if it will be live action we will have to see. If the Acolyte makes a lot of references to the Darth Bane time period chances will probably be better that we'll get a TV show about it.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  24. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Force Ghost star 8

Jun 14, 2002
    He has a prequel era novel coming out in April, so he's back in the Star Wars game at least. I could definitely see him being involved with something further back in the timeline soon if they go that route for future stories.

AusStig and Jedi Ben like this.
  25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, looking forward to that one.