main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books Comics The High Republic (aka "Project Luminous")

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Xammer, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    blight is mnggal mnggal somehow

MercenaryAce likes this.
  2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    The overall phase is also called Trials of the Jedi, just like phase 1's title shared its name with its first novel.

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    That I know, it still seems odd to me to use what looks to be the crawl for the final book as setting the stage for it overall. Maybe I'm missing something and it'll make more sense to me when I start on Phase III.

4. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    Seems possible that Malachor superweapon is eventually going to be established as Sith's attempt to artificially control this blight, whatever it is.

AusStig likes this.
  5. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Didn't this exact thing happen in phase 1 as well?

The nihil do something that messes up the galaxy, BUT there is a 'greater'/other threat that is rising or awakened by the Nihil.

It's kinda been done.

Honestly so far I think phase 2 was the best because at least it had a clear focus on two things that were closely linked. First and Foremost; the Path, they are the big threat linked in all the issues. And related to that was the nameless.

Phase 1 had the planet monsters (also introduced in the first YA book) that were really interesting that went nowhere. Now what are we doing? We already have a clear threat; the storm wall and the Nihil government (such as it is), yet no we are adding another 'world ending' threat. I don't know kinda doesn't do much for me.

Xander Vos and MercenaryAce like this.
  6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Without spoilers, yes it'll make more sense.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  7. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Give that the blight seems to be doing what the nameless does, just on a larger scale, I think it will be connected to what has been going on.

AusStig likes this.
  8. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    But in Phase I the Nihil (or rather just Marchion) still had at least some level of control -
    He used Emergences to consolidate power in the organization.
    The Nihil helped to spread Drengir in the Outer Rim to distract the Jedi, so plants played in their favor.
    And the Nameless so far are well controlled by artifacts.

Although Marchion potentially can help to spread the blight as well, going full omnicidal maniac.

9. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Ro was doing stuff in Phase 1, so far he has not done anything in phase 3.

Xander Vos likes this.
  10. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    He deserves a vacation, so that good guys can finally counterattack.

11. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    I mean it kinda does feel like that, he had his turn now it is the good guys turn.

Xander Vos and Foreign32567 like this.
  12. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    I do also like this feeling that he is, to paraphrase the Joker, the dog that caught the car and doesn't know what to do with it. Even as far back as Light of the Jedi, you had Marchion admitting that deep down he isn't even sure why he is doing this, but still risks everything for the sake of the goal. So becoming kind of rudderless with the goal accomplished and not much left to do feels on point.

I am sure he will step up again once the heroes start causing trouble and make some inroads about the whole stormwall situation.

AusStig and Foreign32567 like this.
  13. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    Maybe heroes will go to Naboo in Temptation of the Force because Marchion will start to actively search for an important information there first.

AusStig and MercenaryAce like this.
  14. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Reading The Living Force has me thinking JJM should get to write the full story of the Great Renewal of Kwenn and the opening of the Jedi outpost there in a High Republic novel. It would probably be sometime between Phase 2 and Phase 1 if I understand the timeline correctly.

15. Carib Diss

Carib Diss Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 31, 2024
    it would be exactly 1 year before Starlight Beacon's opening ceremony in phase 1, so technically yeah it is between phase 1 and 2.

16. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    This is actually what I'm hoping starts to happen - people get to play in the era once the main story is complete, and flesh out what's going on and do deeper dives into characters and plots. We've essentially now got the broad scaffold in place, we can now go deep diving into moments through the conflict. I think that could end up being far more engaging.

IG_2000, Jedi Ben and MercenaryAce like this.
  17. Darth Vectivus

Darth Vectivus Jedi Padawan star 3

Dec 9, 2023
    New Sith Wars is still Old Republic era the Old Republic can have millennia of stories

18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Tales of Enlightenment

As I'm hoping to soon be in a position to start on Phase III, it felt the right time to wind up Phase II with this recently published collection.

To no one's surprise, enlightenment refers to Kradon's bar on Jedha, with it acting as the framing structure for the six short stories. Those stories also roughly run parallel to the Jedha arc of Phase II and Keth's adventures, plus a superb, five years later epilogue.

All six are written by George Mann, who also wrote the Battle of Jedha, so it all fits together neatly, with some very nice connections between the stories. It really did work well as a final Phase II piece.

19. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Interesting idea. That is where some of those hyperspace navigators lived.

I think that was the point - it was really silly to treat the New Sith Wars and SWTOR and the Great Hyperspace War as a single era despite being separated by millennia while most other eras in the franchise are a couple of decades in length, to say nothing of even older events (pretty much everything pre-modern was "old republic" until Dawn of the Jedi was made its own era.)

I could definitely see there being some value in splitting the old republic era into smaller chunks once we get stories set in those chunks.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  20. Darth Corydon

Aug 4, 2018
  21. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Oh, is star wars crossing over with the Thing?

22. Darth Corydon

Aug 4, 2018
    lol the thing was always Star Wars don't ya remember supernatural encounters making the thing into a form of Mnggal Mnggal

Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
  23. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    That better not be Buckets of Blood....

Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
  24. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    A droid in a spacesuit?

MercenaryAce likes this.
  25. AusStig