main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The High Republic: Convergence by Zoraida Córdova

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Feb 11, 2022.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Might be the Nameless comic mini series is the more likely place for that.

2. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Lan Barrell and the Qieq species are back in canon. That was one of the Adventure Journal articles I really liked back in the day.

3. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    Well, that was a quite strange book,

especially the very rushed last part with bounty hunters suddenly storming the wedding.

While I like that Phase II so far tends to be more character-focused than Phase I, at the same time it lacks the big scale of events, although the setting allows it - with the Outer Rim seemingly being full of ongoing civil wars, the Path had a chance to be an imposive organization, offering suffering planets an alternative to the Republic's assertive expansion, but here it is just a small cult that, however, can be disproportionately wealthy and powerful (being able to provide important help to Eiram).

Although Czerka was just mentioned, it, nevertheless, played an important role in the conflict's origin, and I hope that it will appear lately in The High Republic. Phase II setting seems to be a perfect time for arms dealers and shady corporations.

Axel is an interesting antihero, glad that he will return in the Cataclysm seemingly as a leading character.

And two chancellors does not seem to be a very stable system, not surprising that Palpatine killed Damask shortly after the latter told that he wants to be a co-chancellor.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
    Mostly Handless likes this.
  4. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I don't find Axel particularly sympathetic, and I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to. He's an a-hole that makes the worst choices at all the worst times and knowingly so. He's a got a self-destructive streak a mile wide and it's infuriorating.

I like Gella. Curious where her Wayseeker path takes here.

I wish we were getting more.

The defined plot for the era makes sense. I just hope we get stories in the High Republic setting once phase 3 is wrapped up. I think there's so much more potential to explore with all these characters that we aren't getting because there's a single story playing out, rather than this being a time period where stories are just allowed to be told.

I think I would have preferred it be just that. A time period, a setting, in which to tell stories. Not a new saga.

Hopefully they'll go back and explore more stories of Pathfinder teams and what not in this time period, because I find it far more interesting even than the 200 BBY setting of Phase 1.

5. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    That was a heck of a lot of bounty hunters trying to break into a royal palace while a royal wedding was going on. And what was their plan? Every hunter for himself? First one to get him keeps him? Whoever gets him has to now fight all the other hunters who are trying to get him?

devilinthedetails likes this.
  6. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Draw straws maybe? scissors paper rock?

7. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    Probably.

Although, IMO, a bigger question - how they planned to get away with kidnapping Chancellor's son, seems like even a massive payment is not worth problems with the Republic's government.

devilinthedetails and AusStig like this.
  8. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I just finished this book last night. I have complicated feelings about it, and, being blunt, it was probably the High Republic adult book that I connected to the least. I would give it a 3.5 out of 5 stars overall ranking (rounding up on a site like Goodreads that doesn't allow half stars because I believe the book is closer to being "good" and deserving a positive review than to being "middle of the pack" and deserving a neutral review, which is what a 3 star review from me basically means). The 3.5 rating is mainly due to the writing style itself, which I enjoyed in this as in The Inheritance of Orquidea Divina that I read earlier this year (also by Zoraida Cordova), and to the worldbuilding aspects.

More in-depth thoughts follow beneath the spoiler tag for those interested:

As I said above, I really enjoyed the worldbuilding in this book. I think it really fleshed out the galactic politics of the era. Putting faces and characters to the two Chancellors who had previously been just names and giving us a sense of their personalities, their strengths, their weaknesses, and the complex relationship between them. I also appreciated the opportunity to learn more and really immerse myself in the cultures and planets of Eiram and E'ronoh. Each planet had what felt like a full-fleshed culture associated with it where previously while the two planets were frequently mentioned in Phase 1 and Phase 2, we did not get to spend us much time on them. I really feel like I have a stronger understanding of what those planets are like now and that I could give someone a pretty good description of both. Which is cool.

I also really liked the characters of Xiri and even more so of Gella. I'd really like to see more adventures with Gella in the future!

It definitely seems like many interesting characters and events will be converging on Jedha and I can't wait for the auddiodrama set there to be published! I have a feeling it is going to be a great one!

I do feel like some of the traveling from village to village to encounter the next obstacle on E'ronoh got a little repetitive and episodic. Dragging the book down in the middle a bit for me.

I also felt like the last third of the book or so was quite rushed as if a lot of actions and events were crammed into it that didn't necessarily have to be in there. I especially agree with others that the entire bounty hunters gatecrashing the wedding to try to capture Axel was an element that flat out didn't work for me. First I was thinking, "Um, how do the bounty hunters get into the royal wedding with Jedi security without invitations?" Then what that was rather lampshaded by the narration and we learn that Axel basically invited them with a taunt, I still thought the Jedi should've just let the bounty hunters in to see for themselves that Axel wasn't there for them to capture.

Worst case scenario if the bounty hunters are let in is that they do find Axel (but you know they won't if you are a Jedi since he isn't there) and guests/civilians get injured in the crossfire as bounty hunters fight over who gets their big prize. However, if you refuse the bounty hunters admittance, you know a fight will result and guests/citizens might get hit in the crossfire. Bounty hunters target specific people so it is not like they pose a broader threat to the citizens at a whole at that wedding. So, the Jedi bothering to fend them off was just silly and escalated the situation for no compelling reason. It just seemed much more logical for the Jedi to be like, "Oh, yeah, that Axel guy you are looking for was here, but he left awhile ago. You can come in and check if you like. Even go to the place where his tracking beacon signal is coming from."

I thought the whole fight with the bounty hunters just distracted from the moment of highest tension--the actual climax--with Gella and Axel about lowering the shield domes around the capital city of Erasmus.

Basically, most of my issues with this book were of the structural variety, although I did think that the enemies to lovers type story was done better in Path to Deceit, which was published like a month ago, and that High Republic authors continually make clear they want adult readers to read the YA stuff in order to have a full picture and understanding of what is going on. I would feel differently if they were written, marketed, and intended to be parallel stories for different audiences (i.e. "This is the YA version of this plot; this is the adult version of the story), but that is transparently not the case. The vision and expectation is that all the High Republic books (middle grade, YA, and adult), audiodramas, and comics are required readers for all consumers of High Republic content regardless of age. So I am going to judge them according to that standard when plotlines and tropes repeat basically a month apart.

Can you tell that the "you have to read everything regardless of targeted audience age or media format" is the biggest creative disagreement I have with the High Republic era content to date? But seriously I have been through graduate courses with less required reading. That's a problem:p

Short and non-spoiler version of my review is that I enjoyed it but had some structural issues.

I would recommend it to High Republic fans though High Republic authors themselves would no doubt classify it as required reading along with everything else:p

9. Lomer2012

Lomer2012 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2016
    I wonder
    why the Mother was so wary of Gella Nattai in particular and wanted to eliminate her. Is it possible that the Mother had a Force premonition about her?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2022
  10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Got this in an Amazon UK order today - hopefully next on the reading list.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  11. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    Maybe so. Gella initially planned to return to Jedha after the mission, and it is the Path's next target, so it is logical to take out of the game as many local Jedi as possible. And since Gella became a Wayseeker and headed into unknown direction, seems like Axel somewhat succeeded.

Lomer2012 likes this.
  12. Darth Megatronus

Darth Megatronus Jedi Knight star 3

May 17, 2020
    I started this novel but I don’t know if I’m gonna finish it, at least not for a while. I’m just not really feeling pulled in to the story of phase 2. Path of Deceit was kinda interesting cause it tied in to the backstory of the Nihil, the Leveller, and the Evereni. Quest for the Hidden City is completely irrelevant to the rest of the High Republic stuff, and what I’m hearing about this book doesn’t seem super interesting to me. It just seems like Star Wars world building, just for the sake of world building, but I don’t really feel any story momentum being conveyed through these three books.

AusStig likes this.
  13. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    This book adds to Path of Deceit for sure.

The Children of the Path are present, though it takes a little while to find out who they are and exactly what they're up to.

Point being, this book actually is important to that part of the story and how it will ultimately connect to the Nihil and Phase 1 and 3.

It's far more character driven than plot though, imo.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
  14. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I decided to listen to the audiobook, and I think I'm getting tired of Marc Thompson as the narrator of these things.

Definitely not a fan of his voice for Xiri

Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
  15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Started this today. So far so good but I'm only up to chapter eight.

16. Bor Gullet

Bor Gullet Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 8, 2018
    Finished this today and I have to say it almost finished me.

I've been losing interest in Star Wars books for a while now and I've read everything going back to when The Courtship of Princess Leia came out.
    Here, this made me question if I'm going to continue with these books in the High Republic. It is just too bland and I don't understand that as they have an entirely new time period in the galawy to create. This book, for me, also is clearly a YA book and not an adult book. I'm getting tired of these same sorts of young jedi not-too-sure of themselves growing pains type of stories. That's why I never read the young jedi books during the NJO period, I just waited until Tahiri and the likes 'graduated' if you will into the main adult cycle.

I do yearn for the tone of the old days, the Black Fleet Crisis, the NJO, but I know those days are never coming back. I do listen to or read everything that comes out but I'm struggling to think of one which was truly memorable recently. Perhaps the audio-drama with the Nihil twi'lik? And the fact that I can't remember her name right as I'm typing this speaks for itself.

Sorry for the bummer tone but I honestly just felt deflated by this and the future of SW literature. I mean, everything was obvious and I felt like I was wasting my time with this story because it had nothing to do with the established High Republic storyline that I had already been having trouble gettting invested in !

darthcaedus1138 and AusStig like this.
  17. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Still reading this but so far I am convinced that
    Axel Greylark is a total waste of space - nothing redeeming about his character at this point.

18. Bor Gullet

Bor Gullet Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 8, 2018
    Agreed. I'm yearning to spend time with characters that are fun or interesting again. I'm a bit jaded by the two stereotypes we seem to always be getting now - 1. Nihilistic character. 2. Moralistic but emotionally crippled character.

That makes me remember that I actually did somewhat enjoy a recent book, Shadow of the Sith, but only really the parts with Luke and Lando and the enemy Pantoran as it felt like the old times again.

AusStig and Jedi Ben like this.
  19. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Must not give away the plot right now.

20. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Those aren't exactly great examples, being two extreme outliers versus much of the old EU. And to each their own but I don't feel a huge difference in tone between THR and older stuff. For a comparable era I feel it hews pretty well to the tone of the KOTOR comics or some of the early Republic comics, especially The Stark Hyperspace War or Jedi Council: Acts of War.

Dawud786 and AusStig like this.
  21. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Read this. It was decent. Some good characters and a good twist.

I really liked the twist with Axel, it was well done and he was a good character both before and after the reveal.

The main plot of the forbidden romance bringing peace is interesting. It felt very Young Adult, and I don't mean that a put down, it just feels like a very YA/fairytale like thing to happen.

devilinthedetails likes this.
  22. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Finally got around to starting the high republic. I started with this as I think it’s the earliest book in the timeline.

I will have to say I didn’t see the twist with Axel coming at all. Some authors have all the “twists” written on the books sleeve. But I didn’t see Axel coming at all. All the characters in the book were good, but the only ones I really looked forward to reading and listening to were natti and Axel. Xiri and Phontu were fine, but I was more just waiting to get back to the others perspectives.

out of all the books I have read on my recent binge of Star Wars books
    my rankings are this
    Master and Apprentice
    Dooku Jedi Lost
    Inquistor rise of the red blade
    Doctor Aphra
    Convergence.

AusStig likes this.
  23. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I also just read this. My biggest takeaway was that the way the actors in the Battle of Jedha audio drama pronounced Xiri and Phan-tu was not much like how they're spelled. Sounded more like Siri and Bantu whenever they were mentioned in the drama.
    We have a thread here if you want to share your rankings in an easy-to-find spot.

24. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Will update as I go. As I do plan on reading all of them eventually

whostheBossk likes this.