main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The it's a loooooong story thread: Support group for epic fan fic writers - poll 6/14 (red)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by spiritgurl, Aug 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arin_Atona

Arin_Atona Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2004
    I do not look like Yoda!

I think it's the long ears and the body-length apron.

Oh, wait... that's the bunny. [face_laugh]

You're right, you don't look like Yoda. That's a cute pic, BTW... even with the bunny and banana.

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    All right, now I'm REALLY mocked. I even put in a sentence about you in the new post, just to get back at you. ;)

3. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Arin_Atona: Ah, thankee, sonny . . . I'll be 32 next week (very nearly this week) ::wince::, and I can use all the "still cute" assurances I can get . . . :p (I mean, I realize you were actually talking about the bunny, but still.)

They carded my mother at the liquor store until she was in her 40's, which is encouraging, although I think the clerk must've been deranged. I guess he managed to miss my mother's teenage kids trailing behind her going, "Mom! Mom! Moooooooom!!" Either that or his math wasn't too good. ;)

Oh, dear, Ish . . . you haven't gone and killed me too, have you?

4. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Nope. Just made Yoda "venerable and grumpy." When I'm HAPPY at you, I kill you. You haven't been a good girl, so you live on...

5. Arin_Atona

Jul 10, 2004
    ophelia: I'll be 32 next week (very nearly this week) ::wince::

I'll be 29 on Thursday, so I'm right behind you.

I realize you were actually talking about the bunny, but still.

Nope... wasn't referring to the bunny with the cute remark (or the banana, for that matter), so take the compliment and run with it (for dear life).

6. poor yorick

Jun 25, 2002
    Happy early birthday!

And I should just shut up and say "thank you." There will come a time when the only people who think I'm cute will be the nursing home staff who will find it adorable that I shuffle around the floor in my R2-D2 slippers making mumbly lightsaber noises to myself.

I haven't gotten any writing done yet today because I spent about 6 hours reorganizing my apartment, and making useless things "go away." It's part of my probably fuitless effort to streamline my life before the start of student teaching.

I spent so much time mucking around in my closet that I had time to write this song, which, strangely, is sung in a style similar to the "Rawhide" theme--or at least it is in my head. Part of it goes to a hymn called, ironically, (or subconsiously yet intentionally?) "All that we have." I don't know where the rest of it came from.

Oh, stuff
    That I don't need
    Why are you here?
    Why do you breed?
    Just why I have
    You I don't know
    Each time I shop
    I make you grow

I've got dirt for a plant that my cat ate
    A hat that looks dumb on my head
    A chain for a bike that got stolen
    A bowl for a fish that is dead

Some of it's stuff people gave me
    If I threw it out I would feel bad
    Like this ugly hair clip from my sister
    Or this pin of a clown from my dad

And some of it's stuff that is stupid
    But I somehow can't throw it away
    Like this small plastic bust of Darth Vader
    Hey, it might be worth something one day!

Oh, stuff
    That I don't need
    Why are you here?
    Why do you breed?
    Just why I have
    You I don't know
    Each time I shop
    I make you grow

I've got old Christmas gifts that are scary
    Can someone explain them to me?
    Why a busted night light shaped like Mary?
    Why a weird plastic vibrating bee?

And then there's stuff I should get rid of
    But I'm sure I can fix it instead
    Like this perfectly good bed frame caster
    That just needs a new frame, and a bed

I should take all this stuff to the dumpster
    'Cause that's the most logical place
    For stuff that is utterly useless
    And needs to go out to make space

For stuff
    That I don't need
    Why are you here?
    Why do you breed?
    Just why I have
    You I don't know
    Each time I shop
    I make you grow

::crickets chirp::

Back to work . . . ::grumble, grumble, grumble:: . . .

7. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    that's what you wrote instead of spirit warriors? okay, funny... I spent today doing stuff like going to a thrift shop to find our new coffee table and singing my guts out like the man i'm not. (I'm an alto, but sang lower than my husband can.)

8. Arin_Atona

Jul 10, 2004
    ophelia: I shuffle around the floor in my R2-D2 slippers making mumbly lightsaber noises to myself.

I used to do that, but they said I was scaring the other inmates... er, I mean, patients.

9. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Ophelia, that pic [face_laugh] Priceless expression. I think the best picture I have of me with the perfect 'me' expression on my face is this one. If I ever become a mod by some clerical error, that's going to be my custom icon. Yep.

No, no I'm not laughing at you. With you ;) That derranged look on your face is one I'm sure we've all had when we were pushed to the limits. It's like, "Lord help me, I'll do it! I'll brain the little lagamorf! Don't think I wont!" *hands begin shaking*

And you do look younger than almost 32. I like your wavy hair, too. Mine's really really straight.

-sj loves kevin spacey

10. poor yorick

Jun 25, 2002
    Ish: I didn't put off writing my fic just to write that, I was cleaning my closet at the same time. I was multitasking, I swear! Also, most of those things really were in there. The plastic vibrating bee is on my coffee table, though.

sj: Wow, that is a great picture! You look sooo cute until you really examine the picture, and then it's like, "That's Tyler Durden's baby sister, isn't it?!" And you look younger than 17 . . . :p

Somewhere there's a picture of my sister at about 10 months sitting on my dad's chest with this incredibly evil grin on her face. He's actually trying to sleep, but it looks as if she's probably killed him and is about to go through his pockets looking for loose change.

There used to be a picture of me at about the same age, where I somehow manage to look exactly, *exactly* like I do as an adult, only smaller, and I have this total: "You. [face_plain] Really." expression on my face. I liked it so much I kept it for a while, and it seems that I've lost it. I haven't seen it in years. :(

11. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    You look sooo cute until you really examine the picture, and then it's like, "That's Tyler Durden's baby sister, isn't it?!"

Caption: You are not your haircut, you are not your pink pants, you are not your ****ing Pluto costume [face_plain]

There used to be a picture of me at about the same age, where I somehow manage to look exactly, *exactly* like I do as an adult, only smaller, and I have this total: "You. [face_plain] Really." expression on my face. I liked it so much I kept it for a while, and it seems that I've lost it. I haven't seen it in years.

That's too bad, because I bet that would have been hillarious to see. I'm not a fan of cute babies. I'm a fan of crazy babies.

-sj loves kevin spacey

12. Vongchild

Vongchild Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2004
    *looks around, checks self in*

Towards Darkness and Vessel of the force are killin me! *cries*

13. Vongchild

Apr 2, 2004
    Ophelia- LMAO. I've done stuff like that on occasion.

*must get back to work on Towards darkness* Oh how will I get the world out of an endless cycle of endings?

TO THE TIMELINE!

14. poor yorick

Jun 25, 2002
    Day One--The Ward

I started student teaching today. So far so good, but we didn't have any students today. The critters show up tomorrow. I found out that the room I've been assigned to is universally referred to as The Ward, even by the school social worker, since all the most mentally ill kids go there. The social worker doesn't even say it with a smirk. She says it like that's the real name.

One upside of working with very mentally ill students is that they actually tend to behave somewhat better than the kids who are a bit better off. You have to have at least *something* together to intentionally offend other people, trick younger kids into giving you their possessions, or sell drugs in the hallway. The Ward apparently wins the "most good behavior points in the school" award on a regular basis.

I like my cooperating teacher & The Ward's parapro a lot, but I think I'm allergic to something in the room--just like last time. I have the sinus headache from hell.

I managed to get in about an hour's work done on "Spirit Warriors" anyway. Ha!

15. Vongchild

Apr 2, 2004
    cool.

I got a new chapter of Towards Darkness up. Geez... I thought I'd feel better when I finished it, in fact I feel worse! I hate the turn I just took! I mean, I knew I had to write it, but I just made my main character seem schitzo and the story... confusing. :( It resembles what I used to write in sixth grade. *cries*

16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I managed to get in about an hour's work done on "Spirit Warriors" anyway. Ha!

Hey, more work than I got in on SotC =D= And I didn't even have any homework. I just got two really crappy sentences written and my brain's been slowly melting since then [face_worried]

Ah, well. Let us know how things are going. You never cease to amaze me, as a writer and as a person :)

-sj loves kevin spacey

17. Mjsullivan

Mjsullivan Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2003
    I forgot to mention a little while ago that Working in Darkness finally passed it's biggest stumbling block so far - Chapter Five is finished!! It only took me eight weeks to get it right ;)

18. spiritgurl

spiritgurl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2003
    Just when I thought I couldn't possibly make "The Force That Binds" any longer than what I had originally planned, I got some wonderful plot bunnies for a prequel story about Obi-Wan's parents. *sigh*

sg

19. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Ah ha. After returning to write my fic after a long break, I've done over 16'000 words in a fortnight. I feel pretty proud of myself :D

20. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    I think I have a short attention span when I work on long stories. I was able to write three (The Funeral, I'd Miss You Still, The Sweetest Tning and part of the third sequel, which is still a "work in progress." It could be writer's block or lack of interest after really long breaks from the story, or a combination of both, or maybe that I don't give myself deadlines, but I don't finish a lot of my stories like I used to.

Except for maybe the current story I'm working on, I've actually made a deadline for myself and am working on, every chance I have to sit behind a computer.

~ aeryn

21. Vongchild

Apr 2, 2004
    Now that I've earned a twenty-day break on TD, I have to go write Vessel! And maybe come up with a new chapter of Bottled Anger if I feel like it... those usually take twenty minutes tops because they're short and Lili is essntially me... *cries* But all my A/T 'shippin readers on Vessel are gonna kill me!!!!!!!! *cries (again*

22. poor yorick

Jun 25, 2002
    I've been getting up about 15 minutes early in the morning, which allows me to get a little bit of writing started. I find that having my brain "primed" a bit like that helps me sit down and start working later in the day--I don't have to spend as long driving school-related thoughts out of my head and working to focus.

Incidentally, my current student teaching assignment is working out *much* better than my last one did. After two half days and one full one with the students, I know their names, approximately what they need to work on in terms of their writing, and already spent one whole day teaching a lesson I designed almost entirely by myself. It involved social interaction, and I have also discovered that one of my classes really can't deal with that. :p The others did all right, though.

P.S.--Even though I have a squirrely teenage boy in my fic, I have only spent *part* of the time studying the squirrely teenage boys around me, checking out their mannerisms for authenticity. :p

23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I forgot to mention a little while ago that Working in Darkness finally passed it's biggest stumbling block so far - Chapter Five is finished!! It only took me eight weeks to get it right wink

=D= I know how that can feel. I try not to let it go that long without posting something, but lately my posts have been getting further and further apart [face_worried]

sg, at least you don't have about 10 other fics in the planning or begging to be written :_| I think it will be worth it to write the story about Obi-Wan's parents, though, as a stand alone and a tie-in to TFTB. On the flipside of things, I have that one AU I talked to you about oh so long ago that I still haven't been able to *start* because my other sidefic isn't finished yet. *sigh*

16,000 words is quite a bit to write in two weeks! Well, for me anyway. That would be... about quadruple my normal rate. Impressive, most impressive.

I'm glad things are going well Ophelia. See? You should listen to me now. Always.

On another note, I'm about to start on the next chapter of SotC... which I have to finish and post tonight because I'll be out of town all weekend and I really don't need that delay. But I'm just staring at a blinking cursor right now, as always seems to happen when I sit down to write.

-sj loves kevin spacey

24. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm currently seething because a reader pleaded for me to hold off the guts and gore for my one gutsandgore story! But I'll just write a few nice, happy...well, no, creepy posts, then hit with the really bad one.

25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Ultimately, you've gotta write the story how you want to write it, of course. But it is good to take reader comments into consideration and reevaluate how you're doing something. It still comes down to what you think, then.

I'm still looking at a blinking cursor. Anyone else find they are *terrible* at beginning a new chapter/section? I can never get the first few sentences or paragraphs out. Or maybe it's just me [face_worried]

-sj loves kevin spacey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.