main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reviews Books The JC Lit Reviews Special: EMPIRE AND REBELLION: HONOR AMONG THIEVES (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Mar 8, 2014.

1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 78.4/10 = 7.84

2. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I started this back when it was released, put it down, and then didn't pick it up for quite a while because I didn't have the time nor desire to get back into it. Now that I've read it, I'm wondering why. It's a very fast read, it's really fun, the characterizations are spot on, and the story fits for the type of adventure I'd imagine in the era, apart from the climax. The scale of the climax can be forgiven, though, because it reminded me so much of Indiana Jones and the Daley trilogy, hearkening back to the adventure serials and pulp stories that Star Wars was based on in the first place.

Where this story shined and where Razor's Edge disappointed me so much was with its creation and development of its characters. Not only are Han and Leia spot on (which, to be fair to RE, was something it also got right), but it managed to craft a number of original individuals each with a distinct personality, developed mannerism, and meaningful impact on the story. Well, for the most part. Scarlet Hark is enough like Leia to almost be her expy, but has a specific enough skill set and role that she's her own character. Easily the most three dimensional of the "guest" characters, she's witty and entertaining, sure of herself, though the occasional issue crops up from time to time where it's clear one of the other characters is more equipped to deal with the changing situation. Baasen was an interesting figure, an older former smuggler who Han reminds us maybe too many times that he's a man Han could have become if the galaxy had beat him down until he was broken. He's unpredictable, one moment threatening to blast Han, the next being his buddy for a period that he freely admits is temporary. When a character has the self awareness to note "I may be stupid, but I'm not dumb" he'll have my attention. Hunter Maas' role is short but sweet, a man so ridiculous and bombastic it's hard not to enjoy his time on the page. With a book this short, though, some of the characters will fall by the wayside. Baasen's Bothan companion hardly has a role beyond being the old bounty hunter's dimwitted partner and Imperial scientist Essio Galassian doesn't really have a role in the story, his actions being more of a problem than the man himself. In truth, the Empire itself is really the villain here, and that's fine, really. The Empire are the villains at this point, and you don't always need an evil face to want to stop them.

What's interesting is that all of these characters are seen through Han's eyes and they feel real without seeming distorted through his perspective. In fact, I think Leia's portrayal is helped by being observed by Han, as he knows her well enough by this point to know what's going on behind her expression. It gives insight into the way she operates both as a diplomat and rebel soldier in a way we don't often get to see. Han himself is shown in a way that also really works for this time period. Considering how often his plans work and quick he is at thinking, it's easy to forget that he didn't always plan ahead in ANH. He charges screaming after a squad of stormtroopers by himself, shoots at the dianoga even though that could easily give away their position, and goes back to the Death Star even though he likely has no idea how that battle is going or how he might help. Contrast that with Empire where he might have flown into an asteroid field and right at a Star Destroyer, but he had some idea of why he was doing it. This book strikes a nice balance between those two Hans, where sometimes he's flustered by Hark's methods or the careful maneuvering required for a conference held by the Rebellion and its affluent supporters. It's nice to see Han realize only later why the actions he thought to take may have led to something worse. At the same time, he still gets to display his master improvisation and the knowledge his experience of years flying throughout the galaxy has given him.

It's an adventure, even though the threat of the Empire never seems all that dire, particularly when eight X-wings can take out a Star Destroyer. It's certainly worth a read, though, particularly if you enjoy the Daley novels of old.

7.75/10

Iron_lord likes this.
  3. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 86.15/11 = 7.83

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Where Luke is the most likely person to be a hero of the Rebellion, Han is one of the least likely to care enough to help out in the fight against the Empire. Life in the criminal underworld of the galaxy is fast, exciting, and just dangerous enough to keep a smuggler on edge. And yet Han finds companionship among those fighting for a much nobler cause than earning a quick buck and sticking it to the man. Honor Among Thieves examines Han’s thought process not long after the Battle of Yavin, and just what makes him the man he is.

I liked the plot well enough. A simple exfiltration mission turns into a race against time as the Imperials plan to unleash yet another super weapon the unsuspecting galaxy. I thought each leg of the journey flowed well from one to the other, as Han meets up with Rebel spy Scarlet Hark, a James Bond-like agent who seems to keep enlisting Han’s help in crazier and more dangerous missions as the story goes on. I like the banter they share between each other, especially since she seems to hit to off with Chewie pretty quickly. Their early mission breaking into a secure Imperial facility is really fun and establishes a lot about both characters, especially in how they approach planning missions, with Han taking a “wing it” approach and Scarlet trying her best to follow pre-established guidelines. Both approaches have their strengths and weaknesses, but ultimately Han’s approach seems to be more successful overall. And once they arrive at the Rebel conclave hoping to apprehend a small time thief who has the location of the Empire’s newest weapon, things get even more complicated when Han’s past catches up to him in the form of Baasen Ray, a smuggler turned bounty hunter. The authors use Baasen to show what Han could have become had he not met Luke and Obi-Wan on Tatooine. Han always thought the smuggling life was the only life for him, but seeing Baasen reduced to working for the highest bidder to the point where he’s willing to hunt down former friends makes Han realize just how lucky he is to be among a group of people with actual noble goals, even if Han is apprehensive about the Rebellion eventually becoming another Empire if it wins the war.

Up to this point the novel has been a kind of swashbuckling adventure, with Han, Chewie, and Scarlet going from one mini mission to the next, but into the picture comes Hunter Maas, an over-the-top wannabe thief who has the Empire chasing him down because of the data he stole. Han becomes more and more concerned about the welfare of the Rebels at the conclave, fearing Imperial reprisal is imminent. At this point the novel really becomes a race against time, as Han and Scarlet attempt to secure Maas’ data while trying to convince Baasen not to kill/capture them. Add Leia’s safety into the mix and Han nearly feels hopeless. I kinda didn’t like this part of the novel, because I feel while Han does care about the Rebellion and Leia, I don’t think he’d worry to the degree he does here. Concerned is one thing, repeatedly arguing for immediate evacuation is a bit overkill, in what’s otherwise a pretty spot-on portrayal of Han in a novel.

The final act of the novel takes place on an ancient planet where the Imperials have tapped into a weapon left behind by a long-extinct species that is capable of muddying up hyperspace travel. The authors seem to take some cues from Indiana Jones, as well as from some of the Brian Daley Han novels, in their depiction of the planet and the events that transpire there; the control center being located deep under a stone temple while also suspended precariously above the planet’s core is just wacky enough to work. Add in Luke providing cover fire with some other X-Wing pilots and the awesome quotient grows pretty quickly. I liked the final confrontation with the Imperial scientist who tries turning the ancient weapon on. It’s no easy fight for Han and Scarlet, and Baasen redeems himself a little as he sacrifices his life to stop the weapon form being used. I liked his growth though out the story and can see how he’s a tragic example of what Han could easily have become. Han also finally overcomes his misgivings regarding the Rebellion in conversations with Leia, as he sees that even if the rest of the Rebellion eventually turns out as bad as the Empire, at least they’ll always have Leia.

Overall this was a pretty fun novel. The characterisations were all done pretty well, from Han and Chewie to new characters like Scarlet and Baasen. Han was a good mix of daring rogue, cunning con man and valiant hero, while Scarlet repeatedly showed why she was the ideal candidate for undercover missions. I thought there was good humor between the two of them, especially when Han messed up Scarlet’s attempts at deception. And for one of the few novels to devote a good amount of time to Chewie, this one does well showing his relationship with Han and how he can be both a highly devoted partner as well as a hugely frustrated copilot. :p Leia gets some good characterisation as both the diplomat and the Rebel fighter. There are not too many romantic undertones between Han and Leia, but when there are Scarlet is able to pick them up, even when the two cannot see it themselves.

I give Honor Among Thieves an 8.4 out of 10 for a fun novel focusing on Han, and some cool supporting characters from several different walks of life.

Darth_Garak and Iron_lord like this.
  5. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015
    I read this one last summer and wasn't too impressed. The one thing I will praise is that they nailed Han Solo's character. That was great. Overall though it was a fairly pointless story. As a standalone work, it was alright. But it doesn't really contribute anything to the overall Star Wars story. Someone pointed out that it is too isolated from everything else. New planets we'll never see again, new characters we'll never see again, etc... I agree. That bothered me. I did enjoy the book, but it was probably one of my least favorite Star Wars books I've read. 5/10

6. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    So I just finished reading this. Pretty good; it was the last Legends book I hadn't read. It was pretty good, though not terrific, but the ending really picked it up and I ended up enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would about halfway through. So, I'm going to give it a 7.5/10.

7. OutsiderJediSam

OutsiderJediSam Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2017
    hey, very late to the party but I'm reading this book right now, and it's pretty enjoyable, I'm at the 200 page mark in the paperback, I'd rate it 7/9 on enjoyable scale but a few issues...

1) the Noghri thing bothers me tremendously, like how does that even happen, shouldn't some editor/control keep that from happening? (and sadly it happens a lot in Star Wars which is why I think it annoys me even more) as a fan it seems I know more about Star Wars than an author being paid to write about it sometimes, on one hand I understand that since I probably put more time into it, on the other, that seems off since I'm not being paid and they are....

2) I like Scarlet Hark, but she is def. TOO good at everything it feels like almost....and feels like a replacement of Leia for Han in this book....

3) now I haven't read the entire book, so maybe it's better answered later, but I'm pretty aghast at Leia for risking everyone's life on Kiumarr like she seems to be doing, I get her desires for wanting to hold off warning about the Imperial attack and she makes strong points for the good of the Rebellion, but it's definitely at the expense of the safety of every person there and all those people are not getting a say in that....

8. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I really liked the review threads. Any chance of bringing them back?

Sent from my Moto X-Wing