main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Amph The JCC's Top 100 Films of All Time Part II: Street Fighter Boogaloo (Now Complete)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Adam of Nuchtern, Apr 3, 2023.

1. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Somewhere along the line somebody really needs to set up watch parties.

Rylo Ken and Lady_Belligerent like this.
  2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    He’s a very minor element.

Ramza and Lowbacca_1977 like this.
  3. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I wouldn't worry about it. I don't recall the kid ever becoming a particularly big deal in them.

4. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Funny thing is that line is cut out of the director's cut. Instead he says something like "I knew your mother" to Balian.
    We have these. Just for bad movies though. (@JoinTheSchwarz when next movie night??)

Lady_Belligerent likes this.
  5. Django211

Django211 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 6, 1999
    Agreed. I also enjoy how Schultz savors teaching Calvin about Dumas and exposing Calvin's ignorance. It is the very thing that leads to his death. Calvin is humiliated and makes a fatal attempt at regaining the upper hand after losing face.

Full Metal Jacket suffers from losing the two best characters of the first half. Ermey is terrific and rehashing the same character he played in "The Boys in Company C" but he's so good at it. Like a number of Kubrick's films Modine doesn't have the charisma to be the lead. Apparently Kubrick talked to Anthony Michael Hall for the part but they had a falling out and Kubrick settled on Modine. Hall is a better actor than Modine and it could have led Hall in a whole new direction.

Witness was during a time when Ford was branching out in different directions. Here and The Mosquito Coast, Presumed Innocent & even Working Girl show off his acting chops. He could have been more than just the grumpy action hero had he wanted.

Seen: 9/100
    Thumbs Up (recommend): 9

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  6. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I haven’t seen any of the sequels but I’d like it if in one of them the dog gets taken and Nick and Nora have to use their special set of skills to find and rescue it but then decide no they can’t be bothered.

Ramza likes this.
  7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I haven't seen The Thin Man, and while I've definitely seen parts of Witness on cable years ago (including the last 15 min or so for certain), I don't think I've seen the whole movie and cannot recall it in much clarity, so I won't be counting that one.

Kingdom of Heaven: Director's Cut: I caught the theatrical cut in theaters, wasn't much impressed by it. I know it had notoriety for outright reusing music from The 13th Warrior (though I didn't notice it at the time as I wasn't very familair with the score, having only rented the film once years prior). But then word got out about the Director's Cut, which ended up being a blind purchase for me once I finally got a BD player (though apparently the version I have omits the roadshow aspects of the original DVD and later BD rerelease).

It really is a significantly different film (when the one actor shows up for a faceless supporting role who wasn't even in the theatrical, it's like, wow). Though I didn't have the KOH theatrical cut memorized as I never revisited it, you could tell the completely different feel it had. Though I wasn't compelled to revisit the DC afterwards (mostly due to the runtime), it's definitely something worth checking out at least once.

Mary Poppins: It's delightful. Lots of whimsy and clearly the crown jewel of this era of Disney live action (with Bedknobs & Broomsticks being a distant second place contender). Memorable scenes, songs and lines. The modern sequel was also a great follow-up, and you can pair the two of them with Saving Mr. Banks to make for an interesting triple feature.

Full Metal Jacket: Like many, I found the first part of the film in the boot camp to be far better than the rest of the film. Not sure I even remember what happens in the back-half at this point. While Kubrick films aren't meant to be for most people, the first portion of the film is one of his most accessible and memorable. I'd be reluctant to actually give the film a recommendation, though. It's a "clips"-type of movie- you should really only just watch some of the boot camp scenes on YouTube or browse that first act or so on streaming. So, I guess that constitutes a neutral rating.

Seen: 6/100
    Thumbs Up: 4
    Neutral: 2
    Thumbs Down: 0

The Abyss: Special Edition is probably the only contender there. Blade Runner benefits a lot too, but it wasn't so dire to begin with as KOH. But Abyss went from a fizzle of an ending to something that had a point, a message, stakes and spectacle to become one of the best movies of all time (and arguably the best film of Cameron's career).

That's something that tends to split people, I think. For many, that's not only a benefit to a film but the point of the film- to convey history and inspire others to learn more about it. To others, it can be a complete turn off. For some reason, my dad gets really annoyed at any film claiming to be historically accurate (or at criticisms of films for being inaccurate- a sort of "it doesn't have to be accurate, it's only a movie"-type situation). Meanwhile one of my uncles, a hobbyist historian who has contributed to air & space museums, etc with his research and model work will drag a movie through the coals for getting details wrong like the wrong planes, etc.

Those details mean different things to different people, apparently.

Done! I'll try to update it when I can.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2023
  8. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    As someone who obviously cares very much about history, I am in the middle on historical accuracy. Accuracy in general, whether to history, technical details, visuals, whatever, is generally beneficial and increases immersion, and there’s always someone out there who knows the details and will be bothered by unnecessary errors or changes. There’s not really any downside to getting it right, and a lot of issues with perpetuating genuinely harmful fictional conventions (a classic example is people genuinely believing in the real world that “shoot them in the knee” is a real thing people can and should do). I’m generally in favor of accuracy. But there is also something to be said for a good story, and sometimes the pressures of fiction militate towards compression, simplification, composite characters, etc. And sometimes you just want to tell an adventure story with history as a background.

In general, I think a lot depends on what kind of film it is. If it’s purporting to be the true depiction of a little-known story, one where people are likely to take the film at face value, there is a correspondingly increased responsibility to present the facts as accurately as they can. You can point to something like Michael Oher having to deal with The Blind Side turning his life, as a living person, into a convenient little fairy-tale story to see the issues with fictionalizing a story that will be taken seriously. On that score, I don’t see many people being likely to take the obviously gussied-up adventure story Kingdom of Heaven as the gospel on the Crusades, even if it is built around real people and real events. It’s only a few steps up from something like Hugo that is openly conscripting a real historical figure into a fantasy tribute-story. What bugs me more is the kind of changes that are made. It’s not just about rearranging characters or events or creating simplified hero-villain dynamics, but injecting this very silly sort of anachronistic, ahistoric vein of twentieth-century liberal humanism into the story, something Scott is almost universally guilty of. It’s at its silliest in Gladiator, where this bizarre fantasy of returning the Roman Empire to republicanism plays out, a completely ludicrous modern projection that rather transparently tries to transplant modern values back into history to pander to modern audiences. It’s very silly and really quite unnecessary. All of Scott’s protagonists have to be these modern men transplanted back into history to prevent audiences from having to grapple with actual history, which can be a very deleterious form of distortion. The director’s cut of KOH goes a good way to tempering the theatrical cut’s greater emphasis on injecting a guy into a vast sequence of religious wars to go “who really cares about religion, why don’t we all coexist?” [audience cheers], but it’s still got a kind of dopily modernist thrust. I like the movie a lot, I own the blu-ray, but it is a movie that tends to reinforce my general preference for historical accuracy even if I’m hardly a stickler for it.

9. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I just like the scale of the film. There aren't a lot of movies that convey a sense of big world big events as well as KoH. The absurdity of the son of the looters and most recent occupiers asking "why can't we all just get along" for me just emphasizes the epic scale of the misadventure. Not as well as this:

10. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Well said.

But sadly again, to get a broad audience, the film must be entertaining first, and educational in the periphery.

I think most people would be genuinely uncomfortable to the point of disgusted if the film depicted era-appropriate mindsets, mannerisms, and morals.

At best, you get an audience who recognize the authenticity, but don't really invest in the film because there are no characters for them to empathize or identify with.

Same reason movies about prison almost always have either a wrongfully imprisoned character, or one who the audience believe to be genuinely reformed.

---
    That said, I would be curious to see a studio, perhaps in conjunction with a university or historical body, attempt to create as historically accurate a re-enactment as possible for some event. I doubt very much it would be successful financially, but if might become a time capsule of sorts, both for getting close to the realism of that era, and what our current interpretation of that era was.

Perceptions in history ride trends. You can see it in historians of the Late 20th century v historians of the early 20th or late 19th or earlier.

Every generation thinks they know better. Even people devoted to truly revealing the past.[face_dunno]

11. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I tend to think that Gladiator having “Revenge and Justice for my murdered family!!” as its primary motivator for the protagonist and the cause and goal of the film’s conflict gave it a huge advantage over KOH (either the Director’s Cut or Theatrical Cut) andScott’s Robin Hood movie - primarily because that formula can be applied to a story in any setting and make it easier to engage with the protagonist and conflict.

With the other two films, Scott was trying too hard to make the protagonist(s) having modern values be the heart of the conflict and their drive. In KOH, I think this led to Balian being the least interesting of all the characters around him, and in comparison to his historical inspiration for anyone who read the story of him and Saladin being homies enough that Saladin gave him the two paroles that led to him defending Jerusalem. Similarly, his idea of Robin Hood is a way too “We can and should work within this system to revolutionize the rights of Englishman!” when the entire point of the monarchy scenes is how screwed up it is yet also how delightfully passionate John about being a despotic tyrant - if Crowe’s Robin Hood were to match Isaac’s John in energy, you’d get a hell-raising, angry pseudo-revolutionary… which is exactly the type of energy you want for Robin Hood.

(Scott also rewrote the film form the ground up to its own detriment - the original Nottingham script wasn’t perfect, but far more interesting.)

…And while I’d bet it’ll creep up later, I’d actually argue that when The Last Duel pops up, it made a major mistake of trying to soften and complicate the villain, Jacques Le Gris, when the historical record actually makes him a far more loathsome and timelessly scummy monster regarding the film’s inciting incident. I know that was likely Affleck and Damon’s contributions to the script on that point, but it also feels like another incident of Scott being handed a historical incident with a clear emotional through-line and villain, but for some reason ending up trying to downplay that element.

Jedimarine likes this.
  12. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    yeah I'm probably being a bit unfair, its just he always seems to do that grimace and over-ennunciates . But most actors have certain expressions or things they repeat, Robert Redford always does double-takes to indicate surprise.

soitscometothis likes this.
  13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    At last, I have found my long-lost twin brother! :)

You rang? ;)

IMO, Master & Commander is the closest we've seen to that recently. While it is a work of fiction, it was inspired by many RL incidents and people, and the book's author and the script writers both chose to keep the characters' attitudes and values true to their era.

14. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Is 20 years ago recently

15. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Yes.

16. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
  17. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Im surprised the books haven’t been adapted into a big budget prestige TV series.

Maybe it’s the ocean setting that’s too daunting. Or the books aren’t available.

Sarge likes this.
  18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The general consensus among fans is that the movie didn't make enough profit for a big budget TV show to seem like a wise investment.

19. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Especially as Russell Crowe was a big paycheck at the time.

I also read once he was not a fan of sequels.

---------------

I worked at the theater when it was released. It did not draw well.

It straddles the action/adventure/war market and the sensitive/introspective/period drama market...which makes fans of either none too happy.

Now, if you are a fan of both markets, or movies in general...it is just awesome.

Only problem with that movie is the sound mixer should be arrested...It was a constant argument with customers about the film being far too quiet in the soft spoken scenes, and ear bleeding loud in the storm/battle scenes.

By the end of the run, we had a projectionist sitting at the volume dial turning it up and down 4 or 5 times through the course of a showing.

Sarge likes this.
  20. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    This is exactly what I mean. Well-put.

Except for the enemy being French instead of Americans like in the novel :D

Anyway, I think Apollo 13 might be a good candidate for the grand prize for accuracy in a historical film... if 1969/1970 counts as ancient history. :D

Sarge and The2ndQuest like this.
  21. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Crowe has said he would happily return to play Jack Aubrey again. Of course he'd have to play him at a much later stage of his career, but with all the books that have been written, that's not an obstacle.

As for the sound, I believe the film won an award for sound effects. It sure sounded real to me.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  22. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    It does not.

Time changes many things. I never thought I'd see Harrison Ford in another Star Wars movie, and he showed up in 2!

You can have great sound effects, and still screw up the levels. Watching the film at home, there is certainly a range of volume, but it doesn't seem to be the issue it was in the theater. So either they fixed it for media release, or the problem is entirely within the full 7.1 DTS surround sound, which I don't play at home.

Sarge likes this.
  23. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    [face_not_talking]

Jedimarine likes this.
  24. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Master & Commander does so many things right. It’s what you get when everything about the movie comes together to serve a solid, entertaining narrative. It may be 20 years old but it wouldn’t look any better if had been made last week at twice the budget. They might have had to find someone else to play Russell Crowe. The movie is basically timeless. It will look good 50 years from now.

Pensivia, Count Yubnub and Sarge like this.
  25. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    20 years ago I was in high school

and so, 20 years ago I might've joined a Master & Commander crew, but who knows...if given the opportunity today I might still join lol

Sarge likes this.